J. Random Loser

Default Difference Between Black/Blue/Carbon Steel Pans

My fantastic FarberWare Aluminaire skillet has died; its non-stick
coating coming off in tiny flecks. While searching on the 'net for a
new non stick fry pan, I came across black steel fry pans which when
seasoned perform better than modern fry pans with non stick coatings (so
it's said). Then, I came across blue steel fry pans. Then, I found
carbon steel fry pans.

What's the difference between the three steels when it comes to pans?
Blue steel crepe pans are quite thin - is this a representative
thickness of all types of steel fry pans?

I'd like a fry pan with enough metal so it doesn't cool down when food
is placed into it. At the same time, I want something light enough to
pick up one handed while saute'ing - can't do that with my cast iron
skillets. Any recommendations?

cheers,
jrluser.
Peter Aitken

"J. Random Loser" > wrote in message
> My fantastic FarberWare Aluminaire skillet has died; its non-stick
> coating coming off in tiny flecks. While searching on the 'net for a
> new non stick fry pan, I came across black steel fry pans which when
> seasoned perform better than modern fry pans with non stick coatings (so
> it's said). Then, I came across blue steel fry pans. Then, I found
> carbon steel fry pans.
>
> What's the difference between the three steels when it comes to pans?
> Blue steel crepe pans are quite thin - is this a representative
> thickness of all types of steel fry pans?
>
> I'd like a fry pan with enough metal so it doesn't cool down when food
> is placed into it. At the same time, I want something light enough to
> pick up one handed while saute'ing - can't do that with my cast iron
> skillets. Any recommendations?
>
> cheers,
> jrluser.

As for performing better then regular nonstick, that's advertising hooey. No
metal pan will be as non-stick as one coated with teflon or whatever they
are using these days. Some metal pans such as well seasoned cast iron can
develop a good degree of stick-resistance, but even at their best they are
still "stickier" than a real nonstick pan. These steel pans may suit you
just fine but don't expect them to be really nonstick.

--
Peter Aitken

wff_ng_6

"J. Random Loser" > wrote:
> What's the difference between the three steels when it comes to pans?
> Blue steel crepe pans are quite thin - is this a representative
> thickness of all types of steel fry pans?

I think blue steel, black steel, and carbon steel are all one and the same
really.

Probably the largest maker is deBuyer in France. I have three different pans
from them: a crepe pan, an omelette pan (~7 inch), and a larger frying pan
(~10 inch). I've had the crepe pan and larger frying pan for about 8 years
now. These two are indeed fairly thin. The handles are made of the steel,
and are welded on the crepe and and riveted on the frying pan. I've had the
omelette pan for about 2 years. It is dramatically thicker than the first
two. It's handle is the thicker, rounded cast iron type found on higher end
French copper cookware.

If you go to deBuyer's site (www.debuyer.com), and click on "English", then
"Acier" (which means "steel"), you can see they have four lines of carbon
steel pans. I believe my crepe and large frying pan are in the Acier Force
Blue line, and my omelette pan is definitely in the Acier Carbone Plus line.

I really like the thickness and cast iron handle on my omelette pan, but I
imagine for a big frying pan the weight might get to be a problem. Not as
heavy as a cast iron pan, but plenty heavy. The thicker pans are more able
to take really high heat without warping, though that hasn't been an issue
for me.

I got the crepe pan and large frying pan through a Willliams Sonoma catalog
when they were on sale. Carbon steel is darn cheap in any case, on sale or
not, compared to anything like All Clad. They don't appear on their web site
at the current time (www.williamssonoma.com), other than the crepe pan in a
set with crepe mix, etc.

I got the thick omelette pan at a local cookware shop in Alexandria, VA
called La Cuisine (http://lacuisineus.com/). They don't list these pans on
their web site, but they had them in their store. They had both the thick
Acier Carbone Plus and the thinner Acier Force Blue.

Another source I know of is Bridge Kitchenware
(http://www.bridgekitchenware.com/). They only appear to have the thinner
Acier Force Blue (I'm presuming these are deBuyer, but I'm not really sure).

I use the crepe pan and omelette pan just for those specific purposes. The
larger frying pan I use as long as I am not cooking something
acidic/reactive, or making a pan sauce. If I'm doing those kinds of things,
I use my All Clad LTD pan instead.

In terms of nonstick properties, I'd say the carbon steel pans are similar
to using cast iron. I never "wash" any of these pans with soap or detergent.
The crepe pan and large frying pan I just rinse with hot water and go over
with a plastic dobie pad. The omelette pan I just wipe out with a paper
towel.

Hope this helps.

- Paul

Fred

"J. Random Loser" > wrote in message
> My fantastic FarberWare Aluminaire skillet has died; its non-stick
> coating coming off in tiny flecks. While searching on the 'net for a
> new non stick fry pan, I came across black steel fry pans which when
> seasoned perform better than modern fry pans with non stick coatings (so
> it's said). Then, I came across blue steel fry pans. Then, I found
> carbon steel fry pans.
>
> What's the difference between the three steels when it comes to pans?
> Blue steel crepe pans are quite thin - is this a representative
> thickness of all types of steel fry pans?
>
> I'd like a fry pan with enough metal so it doesn't cool down when food
> is placed into it. At the same time, I want something light enough to
> pick up one handed while saute'ing - can't do that with my cast iron
> skillets. Any recommendations?
>
> cheers,
> jrluser.

To simplify, there are basically two kinds of steel for making cookware -
stainless steel and carbon steel. Carbon steel isn't stainless. It rusts
and corrodes with glee. There is little difference in the way they cook.
There is a lot of difference in the way they are maintained. The carbon
steel pans don't perform optimally until they are seasoned. After that they
are almost as easy to maintain as stainless pans. They are not non-stick
however. They are just "low" stick and I'd say the same about either steel.
My guess is that since you are asking the question, you'd probably be
happier with stainless steel. No seasoning and easier to maintain. Good
cooking.

Fred
Foodie Forums
http://www.foodieforums.com

jeffmac

Stainless steel is a bad (i.e uneven) heat conductor. You get hot
spots which cause sticking. Carbon steel, once seasoned can be
non-stick. The secret is:
1-Hot pan
2-add oil then heat
3-add food and adjust heat.

Carbon steel pans come in various thicknessess depending on
requirments. Visit a professional cooks outlet and play with a few to
see which one is the right weight/leverage for you and talk to the
salesmen. They are usually fairly cheap and will last a lifetime. They
really are quite easy to maintain:

1-Don't use detergent
2-Wash in hot water with a plastic scrubber/brush if necessary
3-Dry on the range for a few secs after wiping over with a paper
towel.

This, incidentally is how to maintain a wok, the ultimate non-stick
cookware.

Good luck, Jeff