FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   Question - WMF pressure cooker (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/7992-question-wmf-pressure-cooker.html)

TOM KAN PA 02-06-2004 01:11 AM

Question - WMF pressure cooker

After qutting using a pressure cooker about 30 years ago, my wife decided she's
going to start using one again. She is going to buy a $199 WMF Perfect Plus
from Williams-Sonoma. I asked her what's wrong with a cheaper model, perhaps a
Presto if they still make them. Her reply was that the WMF was stainless steel.
I guess I'm missing something. Any advice that I can give her? Like where to
put the un-used food processor in order to make room for an un-used pressure
cooker?
Seriously, if you were starting out cooking in a pressure cooker, what make and
model would you buy?

Charles Demas 02-06-2004 01:37 AM

Question - WMF pressure cooker

In article >,
TOM KAN PA > wrote:
>After qutting using a pressure cooker about 30 years ago, my wife decided she's
>going to start using one again. She is going to buy a $199 WMF Perfect Plus
>from Williams-Sonoma. I asked her what's wrong with a cheaper model, perhaps a
>Presto if they still make them. Her reply was that the WMF was stainless steel.

Presto makes a stainless steel pressure cooker.

William-Sonoma is always more expensive than other places.

My bet is that your wife wants the prestige of buying at W-S because of
her peer group.

It probably isn't worth the money to argue with her.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,

TOM KAN PA 02-06-2004 01:03 PM

Question - WMF pressure cooker

<< My bet is that your wife wants the prestige of buying at W-S because of
her peer group. >>

____Reply Separator_____

You're wrong. She has no peer group.

Tom Virgil 02-06-2004 08:26 PM

Question - WMF pressure cooker

The Magefesa Rapid II Super Pressure Cooker is superior to most of the
designer pressure cookers offered at high end outlets.

A 6 qt model is offered for $99 and an 8 qt model is offered for $109.

I have the 8 qt model. It loses very little steam during cooking and
intensifies the flavor of what is being cooked.

OTOH, get your wife what she wants. Do you want to be right or do you
want to be happy?

Tom

Blanche Nonken 06-06-2004 03:38 PM

c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

> After qutting using a pressure cooker about 30 years ago, my wife decided she's
> going to start using one again. She is going to buy a $199 WMF Perfect Plus
> from Williams-Sonoma. I asked her what's wrong with a cheaper model, perhaps a
> Presto if they still make them. Her reply was that the WMF was stainless steel.
> I guess I'm missing something. Any advice that I can give her? Like where to
> put the un-used food processor in order to make room for an un-used pressure
> cooker?
> Seriously, if you were starting out cooking in a pressure cooker, what make and
> model would you buy?

I would hit Ebay or garage sales, or consignment shops or thrift shops,
and spend a few bucks on an old one that worked great.

Oh, wait. I did. :-)

I have two Mirros - a 6 quart, and a 16 quart canner.

I spent $6 for the smaller, and $30 for the larger.

Janice 22-06-2004 08:48 AM

On 02 Jun 2004 00:11:33 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

>After qutting using a pressure cooker about 30 years ago, my wife decided she's
>going to start using one again. She is going to buy a $199 WMF Perfect Plus
>from Williams-Sonoma. I asked her what's wrong with a cheaper model, perhaps a
>Presto if they still make them. Her reply was that the WMF was stainless steel.
>I guess I'm missing something. Any advice that I can give her? Like where to
>put the un-used food processor in order to make room for an un-used pressure
>cooker?
>Seriously, if you were starting out cooking in a pressure cooker, what make and
>model would you buy?

I know that I'm way late on this and it may have been covered by now..
but the advantage of stainless steel is it does not dissolve oxidized
aluminum into your acid foods, like anything with tomatoes or vinegar
in it...aluminum makes food taste bad, and many feel that it's not a
good addition to your diet, particularly in the levels we get from
aluminum cookware. If you DO insist on using aluminum cookware, make
sure that they are scrubbed to a bright and shiny state anywhere your
food will touch it, the dull aluminum is oxidized and ready to become
one with your food and through it, you!

Janice

Del Cecchi 23-06-2004 10:23 PM

"Janice" > wrote in message
> On 02 Jun 2004 00:11:33 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:
>
> >After qutting using a pressure cooker about 30 years ago, my wife decided

she's
> >going to start using one again. She is going to buy a $199 WMF Perfect

Plus
> >from Williams-Sonoma. I asked her what's wrong with a cheaper model,

perhaps a
> >Presto if they still make them. Her reply was that the WMF was stainless

steel.
> >I guess I'm missing something. Any advice that I can give her? Like where

> >put the un-used food processor in order to make room for an un-used

pressure
> >cooker?
> >Seriously, if you were starting out cooking in a pressure cooker, what

make and
> >model would you buy?
> >

> I know that I'm way late on this and it may have been covered by now..
> but the advantage of stainless steel is it does not dissolve oxidized
> aluminum into your acid foods, like anything with tomatoes or vinegar
> in it...aluminum makes food taste bad, and many feel that it's not a
> good addition to your diet, particularly in the levels we get from
> aluminum cookware. If you DO insist on using aluminum cookware, make
> sure that they are scrubbed to a bright and shiny state anywhere your
> food will touch it, the dull aluminum is oxidized and ready to become
> one with your food and through it, you!
>
> Janice

You got that backwards. Aluminum Oxide is very inert. Aluminum is quite
reactive but forms a protective layer of oxide rapidly.

Perhaps you have been attending too many demonstrations for waterless
cookware.

del cecchi

Cynthia Perry 30-06-2004 10:38 PM

Question - WMF pressure cooker

On 02 Jun 2004 00:11:33 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

>After qutting using a pressure cooker about 30 years ago, my wife decided she's
>going to start using one again. She is going to buy a $199 WMF Perfect Plus
>from Williams-Sonoma. I asked her what's wrong with a cheaper model, perhaps a
>Presto if they still make them. Her reply was that the WMF was stainless steel.
>I guess I'm missing something. Any advice that I can give her? Like where to
>put the un-used food processor in order to make room for an un-used pressure
>cooker?
>Seriously, if you were starting out cooking in a pressure cooker, what make and
>model would you buy?

Well, I spent less than that on a good 6 quart Kuhn Rikon... it's
stainless steel and works great.

OTOH, if she doesn't use her food processor, chances are the pressure
cooker won't get much use either.

Anyway, the Kuhn Rikon is my first, and I'm still experimenting with
it. But I've found several recipes that I like so far.

Cynthia

Cynthia Perry 30-06-2004 10:40 PM

Question - WMF pressure cooker

On 02 Jun 2004 00:11:33 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

>After qutting using a pressure cooker about 30 years ago, my wife decided she's
>going to start using one again. She is going to buy a $199 WMF Perfect Plus
>from Williams-Sonoma. I asked her what's wrong with a cheaper model, perhaps a
>Presto if they still make them. Her reply was that the WMF was stainless steel.
>I guess I'm missing something. Any advice that I can give her? Like where to
>put the un-used food processor in order to make room for an un-used pressure
>cooker?
>Seriously, if you were starting out cooking in a pressure cooker, what make and
>model would you buy?

Oh, one more thing. I liked the Kuhn Rikon because I wasn't forced to
get a long handle. My pot has short ones... which is a space saver.

Cynthia