FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   Good restaurant equipment? (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/7980-good-restaurant-equipment.html)

Louise Wadely 20-05-2004 10:17 AM

Good restaurant equipment?

Hi there,

I am a restaurant owner and am looking for something that will help my
staff manage the tables more efficiently. Not sure what, so any
suggestions VERY welcome.

Thanks in advance

Louise

Charles Demas 20-05-2004 07:39 PM

Good restaurant equipment?

In article >,
Louise Wadely > wrote:
>Hi there,
>
>I am a restaurant owner and am looking for something that will help my
>staff manage the tables more efficiently. Not sure what, so any
>suggestions VERY welcome.

Intellegence in the staff employed will go far.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,

Louise Wadely 21-05-2004 11:27 AM

Good restaurant equipment?

I was kinda thinking of something a bit more 'systems based'.

I do have good staff but I'm on a tight budget and would like
something that can give me that edge. A friend suggested J-Tech that
sell pagers for customers. I've looked at the site and it looks quite
good but not exactly what I'm after.

Louise

Charles Demas 21-05-2004 07:46 PM

Good restaurant equipment?

In article >,
Louise Wadely > wrote:
>I was kinda thinking of something a bit more 'systems based'.
>
>I do have good staff but I'm on a tight budget and would like
>something that can give me that edge. A friend suggested J-Tech that
>sell pagers for customers. I've looked at the site and it looks quite
>good but not exactly what I'm after.

How exactly do you think things are being done inefficiently?

What situation do you want to see improved?

Pagers tend to free up waiting space, allow customers to shop while
waiting, but I'd think that they'd slow table turnover as the
customers would not be immediately available to be seated (i.e.
they'd be out shopping when they were called rather than sitting
in the waiting area).

Chuck Demas

Louise Wadely 24-05-2004 02:43 PM

Good restaurant equipment?

The problem is when we're at our busiest we end up with 2 waiters
covering 30 - 40 tables. Sometimes this is managable but other times
the situation can become stressful for both staff and customer and,
ergo, mistakes are made.

I know this is nothing new. But with all the technology thats out
there I wondered if there might be something that would be of use to
me.

Charles Demas 25-05-2004 12:03 AM

Good restaurant equipment?

In article >,
Louise Wadely > wrote:
>The problem is when we're at our busiest we end up with 2 waiters
>covering 30 - 40 tables. Sometimes this is managable but other times
>the situation can become stressful for both staff and customer and,
>ergo, mistakes are made.
>
>I know this is nothing new. But with all the technology thats out
>there I wondered if there might be something that would be of use to
>me.

You might look at the possibility of using "team waiting" as an
approach.

As a customer I'm not particularly fond of team waiting, but I think
it can be done well.

Chuck Demas

[email protected] 25-05-2004 02:12 AM

Good restaurant equipment?

>You might look at the possibility of using "team waiting" as an
>approach.

What is team waiting?

[email protected] 25-05-2004 06:52 PM

Good restaurant equipment?

Louise Wadely > wrote:
> The problem is when we're at our busiest we end up with 2 waiters
> covering 30 - 40 tables. Sometimes this is managable but other times
> the situation can become stressful for both staff and customer and,
> ergo, mistakes are made.

> I know this is nothing new. But with all the technology thats out
> there I wondered if there might be something that would be of use to
> me.

I went into Yahoo and entered the following phrase for a search:

"restaurant wireless ordering system"

Enter it without the quotes. There are wireless ordering systems
that allow the wait staff to use handheld PDA like order pads which
transmit orders back to the kitchen. This means the waiter doesn't
have to take a piece of paper back to some central location for the
order to be placed. Seems like this could make things a little
more efficient. I got a lot of listings with different companies
offering similar systems, and I have no way to know which are good
or not, or how they might fit into your business.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

David C Prall 25-05-2004 07:48 PM

Good restaurant equipment?

> wrote in message
> >You might look at the possibility of using "team waiting" as an
> >approach.

> What is team waiting?

Let me start by saying, I haven't been watching this thread.

My favorite restaurant uses what I think is Team Waiting. Any staff member
walks by and sees a drink empty, they sitdown a napkin to signify the drink
is being taken care of. There is a single Waiter that takes orders, but that
is about all the waiter needs to take care of. Bread is brought by anybody,
the food is delivered by anybody as soon as it comes up. Of course the
restaurant has a ton of staff to achieve what I like. But prices are inline
with what I expect as well.

http://www.greatamericanrestaurants....s-mainpage.htm

They do this at all of their restaurants, but Mike's definately has more
staff to achieve this. Thus, making it my favorite and always good.

David

--
David C Prall http://dcp.dcptech.com

Paul 26-05-2004 10:55 AM