Adella

Default Noisy new oven! Help!

I just finished remodeling my kitchen, a project that has been long
overdue, and am fit to be tied over my brand new oven for which I spent
a bloody fortune.

It's a Bosch built-in double oven, convection on top and standard below.

Here's the problem: both of the ovens have a fan that runs constantly
supposedly to "cool the control panel." These fans are noisy and I can
hear them in the living room! We have an open plan house so this is a
big problem! My old Sears ovens had no fans and you couldn't hear a
thing. My neighbor tells me that her convection oven makes no noise at
all.

So I have spent a fortune on a fancy oven and now I think I need to have
it removed or I will go insane every time I cook. My plan is to call
the contractor tomorrow and have it removed.
Any thoughts or advice would be deeply appreciated.

Wayne

Adella > wrote in
nk.net:

> I just finished remodeling my kitchen, a project that has been long
> overdue, and am fit to be tied over my brand new oven for which I
> spent a bloody fortune.
>
> It's a Bosch built-in double oven, convection on top and standard
> below.
>
> Here's the problem: both of the ovens have a fan that runs constantly
> supposedly to "cool the control panel." These fans are noisy and I
> can hear them in the living room! We have an open plan house so this
> is a big problem! My old Sears ovens had no fans and you couldn't
> hear a thing. My neighbor tells me that her convection oven makes no
> noise at all.
>
> So I have spent a fortune on a fancy oven and now I think I need to
> have it removed or I will go insane every time I cook. My plan is to
> call the contractor tomorrow and have it removed.
> Any thoughts or advice would be deeply appreciated.

Contact Bosch and have one of their reps look at it.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

Big on natural foods?? 82.38% of people die of "natural" causes.
Bert Hyman

In nk.net Adella
> wrote:

> It's a Bosch built-in double oven, convection on top and standard below.
>
> Here's the problem: both of the ovens have a fan that runs constantly
> supposedly to "cool the control panel." These fans are noisy and I can
> hear them in the living room! We have an open plan house so this is a
> big problem!

I don't know how noisy is too noisy for you, but just FYI, our Thermador
oven has a similar fan which runs as long as the oven is on and for
several minutes after it's shut off.

We knew about that before we bought it and aren't troubled by it.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Dave Bugg

Adella wrote:

> So I have spent a fortune on a fancy oven and now I think I need to
> have it removed or I will go insane every time I cook. My plan is
> to call the contractor tomorrow and have it removed.
> Any thoughts or advice would be deeply appreciated.

I have no solution to offer, but I do appreciate the reminder of one of the
reasons I despise open floor plans for kitchens. Good luck, and I do hope it
can be resolved.
Dave

graham

"Adella" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> I just finished remodeling my kitchen, a project that has been long
> overdue, and am fit to be tied over my brand new oven for which I spent
> a bloody fortune.
>
> It's a Bosch built-in double oven, convection on top and standard below.
>
> Here's the problem: both of the ovens have a fan that runs constantly
> supposedly to "cool the control panel." These fans are noisy and I can
> hear them in the living room! We have an open plan house so this is a
> big problem! My old Sears ovens had no fans and you couldn't hear a
> thing. My neighbor tells me that her convection oven makes no noise at
> all.

Don't believe her!!
As someone else has suggested, call in the rep. You have a warranty. I'm
baking a lasagna in my Bosch at the moment and it doesn't trouble me - and I
live in an open-plan house.
Some early examples of the 30" wide model had a noisy main fan, as mine did.
I called the shop and had it seen to.

Graham

Vox Humana

"Adella" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> I just finished remodeling my kitchen, a project that has been long
> overdue, and am fit to be tied over my brand new oven for which I spent
> a bloody fortune.
>
> It's a Bosch built-in double oven, convection on top and standard below.
>
> Here's the problem: both of the ovens have a fan that runs constantly
> supposedly to "cool the control panel." These fans are noisy and I can
> hear them in the living room! We have an open plan house so this is a
> big problem! My old Sears ovens had no fans and you couldn't hear a
> thing. My neighbor tells me that her convection oven makes no noise at
> all.
>
> So I have spent a fortune on a fancy oven and now I think I need to have
> it removed or I will go insane every time I cook. My plan is to call
> the contractor tomorrow and have it removed.
> Any thoughts or advice would be deeply appreciated.

First, I would go to the store or distributor's showroom that sold the oven
and ask them to operate the display oven. That would let you know if your
particular oven has a problem or if they are all noisy. My Jennair
convection oven if pretty quiet. You can hear the small fan that cools the
control panel if you are next to the range. You can also hear the
convection fan when you are in the room, but on when it is on the convection
roast setting. My mother has a newer Kitchen Aid built in convection oven.
It is very quiet. You can hear the fan that circulates air around the oven,
but not the convection fan. The oven performs very well in my opinion and
has a lot of nice features.

Adella

I'm still awaiting a call from the dealer who sold me the oven...I have
a feeling he isn't in a hurry to deal with this.

Anyway, I stopped in a small appliance store today and asked about
double ovens that don't have fans. The salesman told me that ALL new
ovens, convection or not, have fans to cool the control panel and that
he couldn't think of a single model that didn't have one. According to
him, all the controls are now electronic. Therefore, all ovens have fans.

I was stunned to hear this and can scarcely believe it to be true. Does
anyone know if this is so?

I am beginning to despair.

Vox Humana

"Adella" > wrote in message
news
> I'm still awaiting a call from the dealer who sold me the oven...I have
> a feeling he isn't in a hurry to deal with this.
>
> Anyway, I stopped in a small appliance store today and asked about
> double ovens that don't have fans. The salesman told me that ALL new
> ovens, convection or not, have fans to cool the control panel and that
> he couldn't think of a single model that didn't have one. According to
> him, all the controls are now electronic. Therefore, all ovens have fans.
>
> I was stunned to hear this and can scarcely believe it to be true. Does
> anyone know if this is so?
>
> I am beginning to despair.

It is likely true. I can't remember seeing any wall oven lately that didn't
have electronic controls. The fan that cools the electronic is generally
like the one in your computer -- a rather small fan that shouldn't make too
much noise. There is generally a squirrel cage type of fan that draws air
around the oven cavity to keep the wall cabinet from overheating, especially
during the cleaning cycle. Convection ovens have an additional fan that
circulates air inside the oven cavity. If you are experiencing a lot of
notice, the fan may be unbalance or a baring may be bad.

Adella

OK, here's the sad update on my noisy oven:

The Bosch repair person came to the house, turned the ovens on and said,
"this is perfectly normal."

Therefore, I am stuck with a brand new double oven that has noisy fans
that run constantly when either oven is on.

So I'm trying to put myself into a Zen mode of acceptance. When I turn
the oven on I play classical music and try to think of something else
besides the landfill where my old ovens now reside.

If you have an open kitchen plan and need a new oven, beware of the
noise factor. Ask your dealer where you can listen to one before you
buy.

Vox Humana

"Adella" > wrote in message
link.net...
> OK, here's the sad update on my noisy oven:
>
> The Bosch repair person came to the house, turned the ovens on and said,
> "this is perfectly normal."
>
> Therefore, I am stuck with a brand new double oven that has noisy fans
> that run constantly when either oven is on.
>
> So I'm trying to put myself into a Zen mode of acceptance. When I turn
> the oven on I play classical music and try to think of something else
> besides the landfill where my old ovens now reside.
>
> If you have an open kitchen plan and need a new oven, beware of the
> noise factor. Ask your dealer where you can listen to one before you
> buy.

I would still go to a showroom and ask them to operate the oven. Bosch has
no incentive to tell you your oven is too noisy. The standard line at car
dealerships is "they all do that."

"A noisy chef ....." Kalmia General Cooking 18 18-09-2013 04:41 PM
Whirloop oven strange behavior of oven lights [email protected] General Cooking 1 08-05-2005 04:47 PM
Which size cast iron Dutch Oven? (for use in oven, not camping) Mike Cooking Equipment 7 15-02-2004 05:57 PM
noisy starter? Robert Sourdough 2 25-10-2003 12:36 AM
she can usably recollect noisy and moves our bitter, lost tags beneath a barn Mustafa al-Haji Restaurants 0 09-10-2003 05:30 AM