R. Seed

Default How to Use Whirley Popcorn Popper?

I inherited one of these Theater 2 High Temp. Stovetop Popcorn Poppers
with the 2 top flaps, wooden handle, and the Whirley stirring wire in the
bottom, but the person who gave me never used it, and lost the
instructions. Could anyone tell me the ingredients (melted butter or veg.
oil?) and the correct proportions of liquid oil and popcorn to use in the
popper, as well as the heat settings on the stove, and the timing of when
to start using the crank to stir the ingredients. Thanks for any help.

Ray

> I inherited one of these Theater 2 High Temp. Stovetop Popcorn Poppers
> with the 2 top flaps, wooden handle, and the Whirley stirring wire in the
> bottom, but the person who gave me never used it, and lost the
> instructions. Could anyone tell me the ingredients (melted butter or veg.
> oil?) and the correct proportions of liquid oil and popcorn to use in the
> popper, as well as the heat settings on the stove, and the timing of when
> to start using the crank to stir the ingredients. Thanks for any help.

It only takes a couple of teaspoons of any type of oil for about a 1/3 cup
of unpopped kernels. I use medium heat, but you'll want to use it a few
times and adjust accordingly. If the corn pops like a "mushroom" and is
kind of chewy, then your heat is too high. You're looking for a "butterfly"
shape. I start to crank slowly when I add the kernels to the heated oil so
they get coated with the oil. When the first kernels start to pop, I crank
a little faster so they keep moving and will be less likely to burn. From
start to finish, the cooking time is about 5-7 minutes.

"R. Seed" > wrote in message
> I inherited one of these Theater 2 High Temp. Stovetop Popcorn Poppers
> with the 2 top flaps, wooden handle, and the Whirley stirring wire in the
> bottom, but the person who gave me never used it, and lost the
> instructions. Could anyone tell me the ingredients (melted butter or veg.
> oil?) and the correct proportions of liquid oil and popcorn to use in the
> popper, as well as the heat settings on the stove, and the timing of when
> to start using the crank to stir the ingredients. Thanks for any help.

Ray

> 1/4 cup oil to 2/3 cup popcorn kernels is a very workable ratio.

That's a lot of oil. I've never used more than a tablespoon for as much as
a half cup of kernels.

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. ..
> (R. Seed) wrote in
> :
>
> > I inherited one of these Theater 2 High Temp. Stovetop Popcorn Poppers
> > with the 2 top flaps, wooden handle, and the Whirley stirring wire in
> > the bottom, but the person who gave me never used it, and lost the
> > instructions. Could anyone tell me the ingredients (melted butter or
> > veg. oil?) and the correct proportions of liquid oil and popcorn to
> > use in the popper, as well as the heat settings on the stove, and the
> > timing of when to start using the crank to stir the ingredients.
> > Thanks for any help.
> >
> > --

> First off, butter will burn if you use it to pop the corn, but it makes
> a wonderful flavoring afterwards.
>
> Coconut oil is one of the most flavorful, but not considered very
> healthy today. That leaves a variety of vegetable oils that all can
> work pretty well and is best determined by the flavor you like.
> Personally, I prefer peanut oil.
>
> 1/4 cup oil to 2/3 cup popcorn kernels is a very workable ratio.
>
> A good method for your popper is to add the oil and 3-4 popcorn kernels
> to your popper. Heat over medium-high heat, turning the handle slowly
> as it heats. When the few kernels begin to pop, open the lid and add
> remaining kernels. Continue turning the handle slowly until corn begins
> popping and until popping stops. Immediately turn popcorn into a large
> bowl and season with salt and melted butter to taste.
>
> HTH
>
> Wayne

Wayne Boatwright

"Ray" > wrote in
ink.net:

>> 1/4 cup oil to 2/3 cup popcorn kernels is a very workable ratio.

> That's a lot of oil. I've never used more than a tablespoon for as
> much as a half cup of kernels.

Whatever floats your boat. That's a standard recommended ratio from
popcorn producers. It works well and helps prevent scorching. I'm sure
that less can be used if desired. In fact, if the corn kernels are
agitated very rapidly, oil can be omitted altogether, but I don't find it
very appetizing.

Wayne

Jim Elbrecht

On 29 Apr 2004 03:07:46 GMT, (R. Seed)
wrote:

>I inherited one of these Theater 2 High Temp. Stovetop Popcorn Poppers
>with the 2 top flaps, wooden handle, and the Whirley stirring wire in the
>bottom, but the person who gave me never used it, and lost the
>instructions. Could anyone tell me the ingredients (melted butter or veg.
>oil?) and the correct proportions of liquid oil and popcorn to use in the
>popper, as well as the heat settings on the stove, and the timing of when
>to start using the crank to stir the ingredients. Thanks for any help.

From epinions--
http://www.epinions.com/content_58218286724

"The brochure promised you could pop 6 quarts of popcorn with 1
tablespoon or less of oil, and they didn't lie."

and further down--

"So far, everything I've tried has been delicious. My basic recipe so
far is the plain salted popcorn, I use 1 tablespoon of peanut oil, 1
teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 cup popcorn. This makes 6 quarts of
delicious popcorn thats not too caloric, but not without flavor
either"

Jim