Sis

Default granite vs marble,etc

Thanks so much! We really liked the silestone also. We saw one with fine
mirror chips in it that sparkled like diamonds. Gorgeous! S

Sis

"Kenneth" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 02:41:32 -0400, "Sis" > wrote:
>
> >Great idea,I'm going to try it tomorrow! Have your coutertops held up

well?
> >I do a lot of cooking with the products you mentioned,by the way! Thanks

for
> >your help and insight. S.
> >

> Hi,
>
> When you include nothing of the message to which you are responding,
> it is impossible to know what you mean.
>
> What is the "great idea?"

Thanks,
> Kenneth

Sorry, I'm new at this. S

Sis

"JF" > wrote in message

> "Sis" > wrote in message
> > The dealers in my area don't offer to allow me to view the slabs before
> > deciding on my purchase. Where you allowed to do this? S.
> >

> Yes! Any reputable stone dealer should show you the slabs and even let you
> choose the one with the veining you want!

Thanks everyone! I spoke with the dealer today and he said we will look at
the slabs first. Phew! I was worried about that. S

Kenneth

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 01:03:11 -0400, "Sis" > wrote:

>"Kenneth" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 02:41:32 -0400, "Sis" > wrote:
>>
>> >Great idea,I'm going to try it tomorrow! Have your coutertops held up

>well?
>> >I do a lot of cooking with the products you mentioned,by the way! Thanks

>for
>> >your help and insight. S.
>> >

>> Hi,
>>
>> When you include nothing of the message to which you are responding,
>> it is impossible to know what you mean.
>>
>> What is the "great idea?"

> Thanks,
>> Kenneth

>Sorry, I'm new at this. S

Howdy,

Well then, it's good that I mentioned it <G>...

That "<g>" is a "grin"...<g>

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Ray & Kathy Albertson

This thread really went the extra mile . . . <grin>

Just to add a bit of geeky background info, "granite" is any igneous rock
with a visible crystalline structure usually containing a mix of mica,
feldspar, and quartz. The proportions can vary greatly, and there can be
crystals of other minerals as well. There can be almost microscopic voids
in granite and sealing can close them and provide a uniform top surface.
"Marble" is just limestone (calcium carbonate, usually laid down in the
ocean and derived from the remains of sea creatures) that has been
metamorphosed by one or more trips through the hot depths of the crust then
brought back again. I would imagine it would *really* need sealing to make
sure it doesn't stain or etch from common cooking acids.

I was interested that nobody piped up with "Try Corian!" Actually, I *love*
Corian, and there's nothing that I could do to it (including drill it,
hammer it, pound off a hunk) that couldn't be invisibly fixed. I'll admit
that it doesn't have the prestige look that granite has.

[proudly top posted . . . . ] by --Ray

"graham" > wrote in message
newsOijc.269004$oR5.228389@pd7tw3no...

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > "graham" > wrote in message

this

> our

kitchen.
> > The

> months
> > > we
> > >
> > > Surely, if it's real granite, it will not need sealing.
> > > Graham
> > >

> > Not so - granite usually needs sealing. A polished flawless piece of

> granite
> > is indeed impervious to anything that a cook might expose it to, but few

> if
> > any slabs are flawless. As I understand it the sealer is for the minute
> > imperfections, fissures and pores, present in almost all granite.
> >

> I should have expanded my argument a bit I suppose. What quarrymen and
> stonemasons call "granite" very often isn't and I hadn't thought about any
> imperfections caused by the cutting processes.
> Graham
> Graham

NanaAno

In article <gXajc.264723$oR5.221041@pd7tw3no>,
"graham" > wrote:

> "SCUBApix" > wrote in message
> >
> > We put in a granite island counter top almost 2 years ago (2 yrs this
> > August) with an undermount prep sink. We couldn't be happier. We use our
> > kitchen for real cooking on a daily basis; it's not a 'show' kitchen. The
> > granite has stood up very well with no chips/cracks/etc. After 18 months

> we
> > thought we would re-apply the surface sealer.

> Surely, if it's real granite, it will not need sealing.
> Graham

If it is REAL granite it WILL need sealing. Granite is porous.
Solid surface is nor porous as eStone is not. Granite is.
Period.
NanaAno

"graham" > wrote:

> "SCUBApix" > wrote in message
> >
> > We put in a granite island counter top almost 2 years ago (2 yrs this
> > August) with an undermount prep sink. We couldn't be happier. We use our
> > kitchen for real cooking on a daily basis; it's not a 'show' kitchen. The
> > granite has stood up very well with no chips/cracks/etc. After 18 months

> we
> > thought we would re-apply the surface sealer.

> Surely, if it's real granite, it will not need sealing.
> Graham

If it is REAL granite it WILL need sealing. Granite is porous.
Solid surface is nor porous as eStone is not. Granite is.
Period.
NanaAno

Whoa, Ray... Corian in the generic sense or Corian the brand name?
Just like tissues are now called Kleenex, many solid surface
countertops are now called Corien. MANY acrylic (ass opposed to the
polyester junk) countertops have the same qualities and warranties as
Corian. Wilsonart Gibraltar, Meganite, Staron, Dovae, Formstone etc are
every bit as good as the horribly overpriced 'Corian'.
Earthstone, by Wilsonart is one of my favourites and I sell a ton of it.

*tips hat*

just my 2 cents worth.

> I was interested that nobody piped up with "Try Corian!" Actually, I *love*
> Corian, and there's nothing that I could do to it (including drill it,
> hammer it, pound off a hunk) that couldn't be invisibly fixed. I'll admit
> that it doesn't have the prestige look that granite has.
>
> [proudly top posted . . . . ] by --Ray

NanaAno

Whoa, Ray... Corian in the generic sense or Corian the brand name?
Just like tissues are now called Kleenex, many solid surface
countertops are now called Corien. MANY acrylic (ass opposed to the
polyester junk) countertops have the same qualities and warranties as
Corian. Wilsonart Gibraltar, Meganite, Staron, Dovae, Formstone etc are
every bit as good as the horribly overpriced 'Corian'.
Earthstone, by Wilsonart is one of my favourites and I sell a ton of it.

*tips hat*

just my 2 cents worth.

> I was interested that nobody piped up with "Try Corian!" Actually, I *love*
> Corian, and there's nothing that I could do to it (including drill it,
> hammer it, pound off a hunk) that couldn't be invisibly fixed. I'll admit
> that it doesn't have the prestige look that granite has.
>
> [proudly top posted . . . . ] by --Ray

Don Wiss

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004, NanaAno > wrote:

>If it is REAL granite it WILL need sealing. Granite is porous.
>Solid surface is nor porous as eStone is not. Granite is.
>Period.

Not true. Most granite is porous, but not all. If you have Ruby Red, a.k.a.
Imperial Red, it is not porous and does not need sealing. So your
generalization is WRONG.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Peter Aitken

"Don Wiss" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 07 Nov 2004, NanaAno > wrote:
>
> >If it is REAL granite it WILL need sealing. Granite is porous.
> >Solid surface is nor porous as eStone is not. Granite is.
> >Period.

> Not true. Most granite is porous, but not all. If you have Ruby Red,

a.k.a.
> Imperial Red, it is not porous and does not need sealing. So your
> generalization is WRONG.

Aren't all generalizations wrong, including this one?

--
Peter Aitken

NanaAno

In article >,
Don Wiss > wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Nov 2004, NanaAno > wrote:
>
> >If it is REAL granite it WILL need sealing. Granite is porous.
> >Solid surface is nor porous as eStone is not. Granite is.
> >Period.

> Not true. Most granite is porous, but not all. If you have Ruby Red, a.k.a.
> Imperial Red, it is not porous and does not need sealing. So your
> generalization is WRONG.
>
> Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Thank you so much for pointing out, in such a gentlemanly way, that
there is one exception. I will investigate further.
If Ruby Red comes in 5' x 10' slabs (an industry standard) without a
single fissure anywhere, I will gladly stand (sit) corrected.

And you are correct---> to generalize is to be an IDIOT.
NanaAno

In article >,
Don Wiss > wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Nov 2004, NanaAno > wrote:
>
> >If it is REAL granite it WILL need sealing. Granite is porous.
> >Solid surface is nor porous as eStone is not. Granite is.
> >Period.

> Not true. Most granite is porous, but not all. If you have Ruby Red, a.k.a.
> Imperial Red, it is not porous and does not need sealing. So your
> generalization is WRONG.
>
> Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Thank you so much for pointing out, in such a gentlemanly way, that
there is one exception. I will investigate further.
If Ruby Red comes in 5' x 10' slabs (an industry standard) without a
single fissure anywhere, I will gladly stand (sit) corrected.

And you are correct---> to generalize is to be an IDIOT.
NanaAno

In article >,
Don Wiss > wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Nov 2004, NanaAno > wrote:
>
> >If it is REAL granite it WILL need sealing. Granite is porous.
> >Solid surface is nor porous as eStone is not. Granite is.
> >Period.

> Not true. Most granite is porous, but not all. If you have Ruby Red, a.k.a.
> Imperial Red, it is not porous and does not need sealing. So your
> generalization is WRONG.
>
> Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Thank you so much for pointing out, in such a gentlemanly way, that
there is one exception. I will investigate further.
If Ruby Red comes in 5' x 10' slabs (an industry standard) without a
single fissure anywhere, I will gladly stand (sit) corrected.

And you are correct---> to generalize is to be an IDIOT.
Ribitt

Getting OT here. What should I look for in a granite sealer? Not necessarily
a brand name, but what components make a good sealer? Thanks.

Marble vs Granite Kichen countertops Aileen Cooking Equipment 19 15-02-2011 08:36 AM
Granite vs Marble Aileen General Cooking 87 27-10-2005 02:08 PM
Marble square Michael General Cooking 15 19-01-2005 02:44 AM
Marble square Michael General Cooking 0 14-01-2005 10:51 AM
Replacement for marble Kim Baking 0 08-01-2004 01:24 AM