FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   Circulon Steel and how to clean it (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/79129-circulon-steel-how-clean.html)

Sugarite 16-01-2006 08:59 AM

Circulon Steel and how to clean it

I have a large pan that is about 2 to 3 years old that I've had no
trouble with until recently. Never been in the dishwasher and always use
dish soap and a soft sponge/scrubber to clean it. Now it looks like a
poorly treated cast iron pan. Tried boiling water, water and vineger to
no avail.

Hope someone has some good suggestions...google groups wasn't too helpful

Peter Aitken 16-01-2006 03:03 PM

"Sugarite" > wrote in message
>I have a large pan that is about 2 to 3 years old that I've had no
> trouble with until recently. Never been in the dishwasher and always use
> dish soap and a soft sponge/scrubber to clean it. Now it looks like a
> poorly treated cast iron pan. Tried boiling water, water and vineger to
> no avail.
>
> Hope someone has some good suggestions...google groups wasn't too helpful

Is this the Circulon non-stick with the grooved surface? Your method sounds
right on - we also use a soft brush and our 15 year old pans still look
fine.

--
Peter Aitken

Remsleep 16-01-2006 04:47 PM

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> "Sugarite" > wrote in message
>>I have a large pan that is about 2 to 3 years old that I've had no
>> trouble with until recently. Never been in the dishwasher and always use
>> dish soap and a soft sponge/scrubber to clean it. Now it looks like a
>> poorly treated cast iron pan. Tried boiling water, water and vineger to
>> no avail.
>>
>> Hope someone has some good suggestions...google groups wasn't too helpful

> Is this the Circulon non-stick with the grooved surface? Your method
> sounds right on - we also use a soft brush and our 15 year old pans still
> look fine.

Is it the line with the SS interior? If so, stick it in the dishwasher and
be happy.

If it has the non-stick interior, then Peter is correct. We use an OXO brush
w/built-in dish soap dispenser. Works great. The problem with just using a
sponge is that you'll leave stuff to build up in the grooves.

HTH,

Remsleep

Vox Humana 16-01-2006 05:50 PM

Circulon Steel and how to clean it

"Remsleep" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
>> "Sugarite" > wrote in message
>>>I have a large pan that is about 2 to 3 years old that I've had no
>>> trouble with until recently. Never been in the dishwasher and always use
>>> dish soap and a soft sponge/scrubber to clean it. Now it looks like a
>>> poorly treated cast iron pan. Tried boiling water, water and vineger to
>>> no avail.
>>>
>>> Hope someone has some good suggestions...google groups wasn't too
>>> helpful

>> Is this the Circulon non-stick with the grooved surface? Your method
>> sounds right on - we also use a soft brush and our 15 year old pans still
>> look fine.
>>

> Is it the line with the SS interior? If so, stick it in the dishwasher and
> be happy.
>
> If it has the non-stick interior, then Peter is correct. We use an OXO
> brush w/built-in dish soap dispenser. Works great. The problem with just
> using a sponge is that you'll leave stuff to build up in the grooves.

If it is 18/10 stainless, you can also use heavy duty oven cleaner on it.
(I like the Easy Off brand in the yellow can.) Put it in a garbage bag,
spray, close the bag and let it sit overnight. In the morning, rinse clean.
Difficult areas can be scrubbed with Bar Keeper's Friend. If it is
non-stick, then you probably won't be able to restore it to like-new
condition. Don't use oven cleaner on non-stick or aluminum surfaces.

Sugarite 17-01-2006 03:17 AM

Circulon Steel and how to clean it

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> "Remsleep" > wrote in message
> ink.net...

> >> Is this the Circulon non-stick with the grooved surface? Your method
> >> sounds right on - we also use a soft brush and our 15 year old pans still
> >> look fine.
> >>

> > Is it the line with the SS interior? If so, stick it in the dishwasher and
> > be happy.
> >
> > If it has the non-stick interior, then Peter is correct. We use an OXO
> > brush w/built-in dish soap dispenser. Works great. The problem with just
> > using a sponge is that you'll leave stuff to build up in the grooves.
> >

> If it is 18/10 stainless, you can also use heavy duty oven cleaner on it.
> (I like the Easy Off brand in the yellow can.) Put it in a garbage bag,
> spray, close the bag and let it sit overnight. In the morning, rinse clean.
> Difficult areas can be scrubbed with Bar Keeper's Friend. If it is
> non-stick, then you probably won't be able to restore it to like-new
> condition. Don't use oven cleaner on non-stick or aluminum surfaces.

It's the Stainless Steel outside with the grooved inside. Easy Off
sounds sort of drastic...I'll think about that (ie, convince the SO that
I'm not crazy out of my mind.)

Is what's happening a build-up of crud or a degradation of the grooved
surface?

Vox Humana 17-01-2006 03:23 AM

"Sugarite" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>
>> "Remsleep" > wrote in message
>> ink.net...

>> > Is it the line with the SS interior? If so, stick it in the dishwasher
>> > and
>> > be happy.
>> >
>> > If it has the non-stick interior, then Peter is correct. We use an OXO
>> > brush w/built-in dish soap dispenser. Works great. The problem with
>> > just
>> > using a sponge is that you'll leave stuff to build up in the grooves.
>> >

>> If it is 18/10 stainless, you can also use heavy duty oven cleaner on it.
>> (I like the Easy Off brand in the yellow can.) Put it in a garbage bag,
>> spray, close the bag and let it sit overnight. In the morning, rinse
>> clean.
>> Difficult areas can be scrubbed with Bar Keeper's Friend. If it is
>> non-stick, then you probably won't be able to restore it to like-new
>> condition. Don't use oven cleaner on non-stick or aluminum surfaces.

> It's the Stainless Steel outside with the grooved inside. Easy Off
> sounds sort of drastic...I'll think about that (ie, convince the SO that
> I'm not crazy out of my mind.)
>
> Is what's happening a build-up of crud or a degradation of the grooved
> surface?

Uncoated stainless is nearly indestructible.

Sugarite 17-01-2006 10:19 AM

"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> "Sugarite" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Vox Humana" > wrote:
> >
> >> "Remsleep" > wrote in message
> >> ink.net...

> >> If it is 18/10 stainless, you can also use heavy duty oven cleaner on it.
> >> (I like the Easy Off brand in the yellow can.) Put it in a garbage bag,
> >> spray, close the bag and let it sit overnight. In the morning, rinse
> >> clean.
> >> Difficult areas can be scrubbed with Bar Keeper's Friend. If it is
> >> non-stick, then you probably won't be able to restore it to like-new
> >> condition. Don't use oven cleaner on non-stick or aluminum surfaces.

> > It's the Stainless Steel outside with the grooved inside. Easy Off
> > sounds sort of drastic...I'll think about that (ie, convince the SO that
> > I'm not crazy out of my mind.)
> >
> > Is what's happening a build-up of crud or a degradation of the grooved
> > surface?

> Uncoated stainless is nearly indestructible.

But the inside (with the "stains" and grooves), isn't uncoated SS.

It would be nice to clean the outside with this method