Matthew L. Martin

Default Need a new 27" electric double wall oven

Our venerable Westinghouse's upper oven has died. The cost of repair
will be ~$270 plus parts and we would end up with a ~50 year oven with
an uncertain future.

Since our schedule for remodeling the kitchen is 3-5 years out, we don't
want to drop a fortune into a unit that will be being replaced shortly.
The new layout will permit us to go to 30" ovens rather than being
limited to 27", but there is no way to shoehorn a 30" in now.

The lowest cost, highest featured unit that I have found is the
Frididaire GLEB27T8A Electric Double Oven:

<http://www.frigidaire.com/products/cooking/built-in_ovens/electric/double/prod_GLEB27T8A.asp>

I can get this for ~$950, delivered.

I googled for information, but came up dry. Does anyone have any
experience with this unit? How about Frigidaire ovens in general?

Matthew

Vox Humana

s.com...

<http://www.frigidaire.com/products/c...ctric/double/p
rod_GLEB27T8A.asp>

> I can get this for ~$950, delivered.
>
> I googled for information, but came up dry. Does anyone have any
> experience with this unit? How about Frigidaire ovens in general?
>
> Matthew

Sine the oven is old, the parts probably wouldn't cost that much since there
wouldn't be any expensive controller boards involved. Depending on the
problem, you might be able to get the parts from www.repairclinic.com and
fix it yourself. It seem a better economy to spend a couple hundred dollars
to fix an oven to get you through two or three years than to spend over $900
for the same result. I don't see the logic in spending three time more
than you have to for a temporary solution. If you were going to use the
oven in your new kitchen, then getting the best unit you could afford would
be my advice. If you are determined to spend money on a temporary oven, the
I would get the cheapest one available. Even a very cheap oven should last
three years.

Matthew L. Martin

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> s.com...
>
>>Our venerable Westinghouse's upper oven has died. The cost of repair
>>will be ~$270 plus parts and we would end up with a ~50 year oven with
>>an uncertain future.
>>
>>Since our schedule for remodeling the kitchen is 3-5 years out, we don't
>>want to drop a fortune into a unit that will be being replaced shortly.
>>The new layout will permit us to go to 30" ovens rather than being
>>limited to 27", but there is no way to shoehorn a 30" in now.
>>
>>The lowest cost, highest featured unit that I have found is the
>>Frididaire GLEB27T8A Electric Double Oven:
>>

> <http://www.frigidaire.com/products/c...ctric/double/p
> rod_GLEB27T8A.asp>
>
>>I can get this for ~$950, delivered.
>>
>>I googled for information, but came up dry. Does anyone have any
>>experience with this unit? How about Frigidaire ovens in general?
>>
>>Matthew

> Sine the oven is old, the parts probably wouldn't cost that much since there
> wouldn't be any expensive controller boards involved. Depending on the
> problem, you might be able to get the parts from www.repairclinic.com and
> fix it yourself. It seem a better economy to spend a couple hundred dollars
> to fix an oven to get you through two or three years than to spend over $900
> for the same result. I don't see the logic in spending three time more
> than you have to for a temporary solution. If you were going to use the
> oven in your new kitchen, then getting the best unit you could afford would
> be my advice. If you are determined to spend money on a temporary oven, the
> I would get the cheapest one available. Even a very cheap oven should last
> three years.

So, do you have any experience with this particular Frigidaire oven or
Frigidaire ovens in general?

Matthew

Vox Humana

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
s.com...
> Vox Humana wrote:
>
> > "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> > s.com...
> >
> >>Our venerable Westinghouse's upper oven has died. The cost of repair
> >>will be ~$270 plus parts and we would end up with a ~50 year oven with
> >>an uncertain future.
> >>
> >>Since our schedule for remodeling the kitchen is 3-5 years out, we don't
> >>want to drop a fortune into a unit that will be being replaced shortly.
> >>The new layout will permit us to go to 30" ovens rather than being
> >>limited to 27", but there is no way to shoehorn a 30" in now.
> >>
> >>The lowest cost, highest featured unit that I have found is the
> >>Frididaire GLEB27T8A Electric Double Oven:

<http://www.frigidaire.com/products/c...ctric/double/p
> > rod_GLEB27T8A.asp>
> >
> >>I can get this for ~$950, delivered.
> >>
> >>I googled for information, but came up dry. Does anyone have any
> >>experience with this unit? How about Frigidaire ovens in general?
> >>
> >>Matthew

> > Sine the oven is old, the parts probably wouldn't cost that much since

there
> > wouldn't be any expensive controller boards involved. Depending on the
> > problem, you might be able to get the parts from www.repairclinic.com

and
> > fix it yourself. It seem a better economy to spend a couple hundred

dollars
> > to fix an oven to get you through two or three years than to spend over

$900
> > for the same result. I don't see the logic in spending three time more
> > than you have to for a temporary solution. If you were going to use the
> > oven in your new kitchen, then getting the best unit you could afford

would
> > be my advice. If you are determined to spend money on a temporary oven,

the
> > I would get the cheapest one available. Even a very cheap oven should

last
> > three years.

> So, do you have any experience with this particular Frigidaire oven or
> Frigidaire ovens in general?

My sister has a Frididaire range. It meets her needs, but she doesn't cook
much. I'm sure that it will last three to five years.

Matthew L. Martin

Vox Humana wrote:

> My sister has a Frididaire range. It meets her needs, but she doesn't cook
> much. I'm sure that it will last three to five years.

Thanks.

Matthew

--
If the war in Iraq was over oil, we lost.