A R Whitaker

Default Soft-cooked egg-splitters

During a recent remodeling we lost the best soft-cooked egg-splitter
we'd ever seen and I'd like to find another one. There were two
parts, each one looking like a plastic napkin ring and fitted with a
pair of opposed springy, um, thingies. The thingies on one part were
pointed and on the other part were bladed. One part pierced and held
the larger end of the egg and held it, and the other part sliced the
smaller end and was used to pull them apart over a bowl or glass.
Remarkably the one size worked for all but the smallest eggs, and
we rarely had a failure. I've tried Williams-Sonoma and others and so
far no one has recognized the description in person or replied to
email inquiries. Does anyone know where we might find another one?
We always keep our eyes open at the
yesteryear shops, but so far no luck there either.
Steve B

Is this it?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...52929?v=glance

--
Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged
Tools by Steve Bottorff Copyright January 2002 Knife World Publications

wff_ng_6

"A R Whitaker" > wrote:
> During a recent remodeling we lost the best soft-cooked egg-splitter
> we'd ever seen and I'd like to find another one.

Don't know where to get one like you had and I can't quite visualize what
your old one looked like. From your description, yours would seem to be
fairly large, holding both ends of the egg at once.

There's been a lot of interesting devices to open soft boiled eggs over the
years and I found my personal favorite a few years ago. Here's a listing for
one at Bridge Kitchenware, though that's not where I got mine:

http://www.bridgekitchenware.com/mor...roduct_ID=2343

You'd never guess what this device is for unless someone told you it was to
open a soft boiled egg. The bottom coned shaped section is placed over the
top of the egg and held. The black plunger knob is slowly pulled back and
then released. When the plunger hits bottom, the inertia forces the coned
shape section into the top of the egg and produces a very fine, even crack
around the top. I then remove the top of the egg with a small fluting knife.
This device takes some practice to use, but it makes a very clean cut once
one gets the hang of it. If you don't get the hang of it, the egg can get
smashed rather badly. I try to keep in practice so I don't lose my "touch"!
;-) Anyway, this is a rather neat device, even if a bit tricky to use and
quite expensive.

Katharina

Is this it?
http://kitchen.homefurnituredecor.co...rket/stainless
This is the same one, but cheaper.
http://www.cybercucina.com/ccdocs/products/EGTOP.html

A R Whitaker

Many thanks to all three of you. I've already placed an order through Amazon.

soft pretzel help chet General Cooking 3 12-11-2012 06:30 AM
Soft Pretzels International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 13-03-2006 07:42 AM
Soft Cookies Lewis Dodd General Cooking 6 13-02-2005 08:36 AM
Bread too soft Robert Feinman Baking 3 11-02-2005 05:40 PM
How to keep my rolls soft? baker1 Baking 2 30-11-2004 10:05 PM