Dylan Yolles

Default Wall Mounted Spice Racks

I'd like to put a big (e.g. 48" wide by 36" high, with, say, 8 3" deep
shelves or so) spice rack on my wall. I was thinking either something
Metro shelving-like (but wall mounted) or even basic wood shelves. It
turns out that this is surprisingy hard to find - almost all of the
wall mounted shelving out there is too deep for spices, and the spice
racks I've found are too small. The only large spice rack I've seen is
sold by Martha Stewart, and it's an odd shape.

Now, of course, any type of flexible wall shelving product would
probably work - with the constraint that the shelves have to be
available in a narrow, spice appropriate depth.

Does anyone have any ideas (short of having something custom made or
making something myself - I'm not terribly handy).

Dylan

PS- email adddress listed here has been deactivated, so please respond
to the group.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Dylan Yolles" > wrote in message
om...
> I'd like to put a big (e.g. 48" wide by 36" high, with, say, 8 3" deep
> shelves or so) spice rack on my wall.
> Does anyone have any ideas (short of having something custom made or
> making something myself - I'm not terribly handy).

You want ideas? Put the spices in a cabinet. Exposure to light helps them
deteriorate faster. Any serious cook keeps the spices behind a door.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Vox Humana

"Dylan Yolles" > wrote in message
om...
> I'd like to put a big (e.g. 48" wide by 36" high, with, say, 8 3" deep
> shelves or so) spice rack on my wall. I was thinking either something
> Metro shelving-like (but wall mounted) or even basic wood shelves. It
> turns out that this is surprisingy hard to find - almost all of the
> wall mounted shelving out there is too deep for spices, and the spice
> racks I've found are too small. The only large spice rack I've seen is
> sold by Martha Stewart, and it's an odd shape.
>
> Now, of course, any type of flexible wall shelving product would
> probably work - with the constraint that the shelves have to be
> available in a narrow, spice appropriate depth.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas (short of having something custom made or
> making something myself - I'm not terribly handy).

I agree that it is best to put spices inside cool, dark cabinets rather than
exposed to heat and light in a shelf. In addition, kitchens tend to have
greasy vapors and I wouldn't want to clean a bunch of spice tins every
couple of weeks. However, if you are interested in shelving and you don't
mind spending some money, take a look at Role. They make very nice
stainless items such as bars and modular grids that attach to your wall.
There are many accessories such as shelves, tools and gadgets, spice racks,
utensils, and so on that attach to the bars and grids.
http://www.quality-kitchen.com/cooks..._gridwall.html

Aria

We bought a really "cool" spice rack. It is like a carousel, spins around
and you can stack another one on top. The spice containers are dark so they
are pretty well enclosed. I think it's called KitchenArt or something like
that. They do however, get very greasy...We just got tired of our cabinet so
stuffed with spices that we could never find anything.

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Dylan Yolles" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I'd like to put a big (e.g. 48" wide by 36" high, with, say, 8 3" deep
> > shelves or so) spice rack on my wall. I was thinking either something
> > Metro shelving-like (but wall mounted) or even basic wood shelves. It
> > turns out that this is surprisingy hard to find - almost all of the
> > wall mounted shelving out there is too deep for spices, and the spice
> > racks I've found are too small. The only large spice rack I've seen is
> > sold by Martha Stewart, and it's an odd shape.
> >
> > Now, of course, any type of flexible wall shelving product would
> > probably work - with the constraint that the shelves have to be
> > available in a narrow, spice appropriate depth.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas (short of having something custom made or
> > making something myself - I'm not terribly handy).

> I agree that it is best to put spices inside cool, dark cabinets rather

than
> exposed to heat and light in a shelf. In addition, kitchens tend to have
> greasy vapors and I wouldn't want to clean a bunch of spice tins every
> couple of weeks. However, if you are interested in shelving and you don't
> mind spending some money, take a look at Role. They make very nice
> stainless items such as bars and modular grids that attach to your wall.
> There are many accessories such as shelves, tools and gadgets, spice

racks,
> utensils, and so on that attach to the bars and grids.

http://www.quality-kitchen.com/cooks..._gridwall.html

Dylan Yolles

Why wouldn't keeping the spices in metal containers on a rack be just
as good as keeping the spices "behind closed doors"

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message om>...
> "Dylan Yolles" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I'd like to put a big (e.g. 48" wide by 36" high, with, say, 8 3" deep
> > shelves or so) spice rack on my wall.
> > Does anyone have any ideas (short of having something custom made or
> > making something myself - I'm not terribly handy).

> You want ideas? Put the spices in a cabinet. Exposure to light helps them
> deteriorate faster. Any serious cook keeps the spices behind a door.
> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Edwin Pawlowski

Dylan Yolles wrote:
> Why wouldn't keeping the spices in metal containers on a rack be just
> as good as keeping the spices "behind closed doors"

OK, you did not specify (or I missed) the metal container. Most people use
glass jars and the light is damaging. Metal containers would only be a
problem if they were subjected to higher heat from the sun or exposure to
the oven, etc.

I do o know if metal would react with any of the spices. Some come in metal
cans.