Steve Calvin

Default Quiet coffe maker?

ok, kind of a "dumb" question but we've been through several
programmable coffee makers and they all sound like Mount St. Helens
going off.

Our bedroom isn't too far from the kitchen and when the pot cranks up
around five A.M. it spits, gurgles, belches, coughs and sputters, etc.
And they all seem to do it.

Anyone know of a good programmable coffee maker that's *quiet*?

--
Steve

Steve Calvin

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>>ok, kind of a "dumb" question but we've been through several
>>programmable coffee makers and they all sound like Mount St. Helens
>>going off.
>>
>>Our bedroom isn't too far from the kitchen and when the pot cranks up
>>around five A.M. it spits, gurgles, belches, coughs and sputters, etc.
>>And they all seem to do it.
>>
>>Anyone know of a good programmable coffee maker that's *quiet*?

> Bunn is not programmable, but it is quiet and fast so you don't have to set
> it the night before. Takes but a couple of minutes to have the pot done as
> the water is already hot.
>
> Pour the water in and by the time you take a leak in the AM, the coffee is
> ready. Silently

Thanks Ed. Any particular model? They've got a bunch of 'em.

--
Steve

Edwin Pawlowski

Steve Calvin wrote:
> ok, kind of a "dumb" question but we've been through several
> programmable coffee makers and they all sound like Mount St. Helens
> going off.
>
> Our bedroom isn't too far from the kitchen and when the pot cranks up
> around five A.M. it spits, gurgles, belches, coughs and sputters, etc.
> And they all seem to do it.
>
> Anyone know of a good programmable coffee maker that's *quiet*?

Bunn is not programmable, but it is quiet and fast so you don't have to set
it the night before. Takes but a couple of minutes to have the pot done as
the water is already hot.

Pour the water in and by the time you take a leak in the AM, the coffee is
ready. Silently
--
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

pltrgyst

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 15:46:22 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>Bunn is not programmable, but it is quiet and fast so you don't have to set
>it the night before. Takes but a couple of minutes to have the pot done as
>the water is already hot.
>
>Pour the water in and by the time you take a leak in the AM, the coffee is
>ready. Silently

But the water is old and flat from having been held at temperature, so
the coffee tastes stale. And all the Bunns I've seen and used emply
flat-bottomed Mr. Coffee- style filters, which result in an inferior
brew unless you use an inordinate amount of coffee.

If those factors don't matter to you and your taste buds, then Bunn
may be the way to go.

As for us, we keep our own Krups packed away at my mother-in-law's
house in Colorado, so it's available to us when we visit and we don't
have to use the Bunn.

-- Larry

TOM KAN PA

My neighbor must have a quiet coffee maker, I've yet to hear it.
Don't know what brand it is.
Seriously, I think they're all going to make noise. Boil water on the stove,
you can hear it.

Rick Auricchio

> >Bunn is not programmable, but it is quiet and fast

Add another vote for the Bunn. Model B8 works for me.

> But the water is old and flat from having been held at temperature, so
> the coffee tastes stale.

Mine doesn't. We make a pot for each meal. The water doesn't stay that
long.

> And all the Bunns I've seen and used emply
> flat-bottomed Mr. Coffee- style filters, which result in an inferior
> brew unless you use an inordinate amount of coffee.

The Bunn sprays the water over the surface of the coffee; it doesn't
simply drip in the center. As for coffee use, for 24oz of water, we use
3-3/4 scoops of French Roast. Is that an inordinate amount?

The amount of coffee needed depends on the beans, the roast, and even
the brand.

--
- rick http://www.cfcl.com/~rick/
Rick Auricchio Acoustic Legacy Studios
Steve Calvin

Dee Randall wrote:

<snip>

> I use a Krups -- and I, too, keep an extra one at the in-laws house or carry
> one with me on a long-car trip.
>
> At home I never use anything but distilled water. (The same in my very
> expensive electric Cuisinart tea pot.) You won't hear as much hizzing and
> spitting that way. I keep a bottle of distilled water closeby so not to
> ever be tempted to fill it otherwise.
>
> Dee

Hm, never tried D.W. I'll give it a good cleaning and try it Thanks.

Thanks to all about the other recommendations as well.

I'll persue until I have a one of those suckers that's quiet ;-)

Dee Randall

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 08:59:15 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:
>
> >At home I never use anything but distilled water. (The same in my very
> >expensive electric Cuisinart tea pot.) You won't hear as much hizzing and
> >spitting that way. I keep a bottle of distilled water closeby so not to
> >ever be tempted to fill it otherwise.

> Distilled water equals tasteless coffee and tea.
>
> Andrew

I have never found that to be true. Does one want their coffee or tea to
taste of their water? Not me. Foul water all over this country's city
water supply, I've heard. One goes househunting and the realtor has one
taste the water -- Umm, isn't that good? Well, I want to taste my coffee
and tea -- not city water.

Spring water will not work in coffee makers without making it sputting
either, as spring water has many minerals in it. If I use spring water, it
leaves a film over my tea and it is never clear.

I have reverse osmosis also, as I live in the country and my well is 500'
deep and has been tested, but even after putting it under reverse osmosis,
it will still have the "taste of the deep."

I don't think my Kona and Blue Jamaican (and Green Mountain) brands that I
now use have been rendered tasteless by using distilled water.

Dee

pltrgyst

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 07:57:43 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:

>> Distilled water equals tasteless coffee and tea.

>I have never found that to be true. Does one want their coffee or tea to
>taste of their water?

It's the loss of additional oxygen content suspended in the water that
makes the coffee taste flat. This is true of distilled water as well
as water that has been allowed to sit exposed to air overnight,
whether in a carafe or in a Bunn coffee maker (heat accelerates this
process).

-- Larry

Dee Randall

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 07:57:43 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:
>
> >> Distilled water equals tasteless coffee and tea.

> >I have never found that to be true. Does one want their coffee or tea to
> >taste of their water?

> It's the loss of additional oxygen content suspended in the water that
> makes the coffee taste flat. This is true of distilled water as well
> as water that has been allowed to sit exposed to air overnight,
> whether in a carafe or in a Bunn coffee maker (heat accelerates this
> process).
>
> -- Larry

..... fill a container about half full of water, put on a tight lid, and
shake the container. This will properly saturate the water with oxygen to
the right concentration.

Dee

Dee Randall

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> "pltrgyst" > wrote in message

> > >I have never found that to be true. Does one want their coffee or tea

> > >taste of their water?

> > It's the loss of additional oxygen content suspended in the water that
> > makes the coffee taste flat. This is true of distilled water as well
> > as water that has been allowed to sit exposed to air overnight,
> > whether in a carafe or in a Bunn coffee maker (heat accelerates this
> > process).
> >
> > -- Larry
> >

> .... fill a container about half full of water, put on a tight lid, and
> shake the container. This will properly saturate the water with oxygen to
> the right concentration.
>
> Dee

We tried putting the water in a Vita-Mix this morning, oxygenating it, but
we could taste no difference. (We keep our beans cool, fresh and grind them
ourselves.)

Dee

Coffe makers Ed Pawlowski General Cooking 96 15-03-2012 07:47 PM
RSS Coffee Feed - Great Drip Coffee Maker - Technivorm Moccamaster KBT-741 - How do you choose a drip coffee maker? With so many brands, modules, features and prices, choosing a drip coffee maker is not as simple as it seems. The Technivorm Moccamast `RSS,,,@...' Coffee 0 20-01-2012 03:11 AM
coffe and a cappuccino mycoolgirl General 5 21-04-2011 11:07 AM
The best coffe grinders RubyU Coffee 3 14-12-2006 04:50 PM
DeLonghi "Alicia" Moka Coffe Maker - comments? Kenneth Workman Coffee 0 03-10-2003 12:21 AM