Vox Humana

Default Microwave suggestions

"Moldy Moldy Man" > wrote in message
> After a 19 year run, our old Radarange is finally on it's last legs. I

have
> no idea what to look for, or who make a good one these days- I would
> appreciate any help, please. We will be using the appliance for mostly
> reheating, heating water for drinks, occassional popcorn, I aslo use it to
> steam veggies frequently.

Any microwave will heat water and steam vegetables. If you have been using
a 19 year old oven, you may be pleasantly surprised at the newer models. I
recently got a Sharp microwave/convection oven with sensor cook, and I love
it. I use it much more than I though I would. The sensor cook feature is
great as is having the convection option. I find myself using it instead of
the larger convection oven in my range. I would recommend that you look at
the Sharp microwave/convection unit.
http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Typ...1056,5,00.html

sd

In article >,
"Moldy Moldy Man" > wrote:

> We will be using the appliance for mostly
> reheating, heating water for drinks, occassional popcorn, I aslo use it to
> steam veggies frequently.

Just about any microwave will handle that. I would think about whether
you want the microwave to handle more than reheating (there are several
microwave/convection ovens out there now and even some
microwave/oven/toaster combos), how much room you want to give to the
oven (though after a RadarRange almost anything will be smaller!), what
kind of finish (white, black, stainless steel, etc.), and how many
buttons you want on it.

I've heard good things about Panasonics and Samsungs. I've had good
experience with Kenmore (don't know who made that one for them) and a
recent Sharp (nice performer, but lots of annoying habits).

And I've had my own RadarRange which is now going on 23 years of
daily/multi-daily use. But I don't think it's possible to buy another
microwave which will last a quarter-century. That's a shame....

sd
Andrew Hardy

"Moldy Moldy Man" > wrote:

>After a 19 year run, our old Radarange is finally on it's last legs. I have
>no idea what to look for,

Just like computers, color tv's, etc...I am positive that you can buy any
microwave for 50 bucks that will do more than your 19 year old oven. Go get
the cheapest and throw it in the trash when it stops working.....just like your
old toaster.

Chip

sd wrote:

> In article >,
> "Moldy Moldy Man" > wrote:
>
> > We will be using the appliance for mostly
> > reheating, heating water for drinks, occassional popcorn, I aslo use it to
> > steam veggies frequently.

> Just about any microwave will handle that. I would think about whether
> you want the microwave to handle more than reheating (there are several
> microwave/convection ovens out there now and even some
> microwave/oven/toaster combos), how much room you want to give to the
> oven (though after a RadarRange almost anything will be smaller!), what
> kind of finish (white, black, stainless steel, etc.), and how many
> buttons you want on it.
>
> I've heard good things about Panasonics and Samsungs. I've had good
> experience with Kenmore (don't know who made that one for them) and a
> recent Sharp (nice performer, but lots of annoying habits).
>
> And I've had my own RadarRange which is now going on 23 years of
> daily/multi-daily use. But I don't think it's possible to buy another
> microwave which will last a quarter-century. That's a shame....

I had a little Hotpoint (with analog controls!) that ran happily for
almost 15 years. It was, however, a bit underpowered (the small ones
were back in 1982), and I jumped at the chance to get a new Panasonic
with nifty features like multiple power levels and programmable buttons
at a going-out-of-business sale around 1996.

While the basic operation of the Panasonic is fine, it has two annoying
defects: the door latch and the interior finish. The latch is plastic
(I guess they all are these days) and never has been well-aligned, so
that punching the button doesn't always open it. (But it always closes
securely.) I have to yank on it from the bottom to get it open.

The interior finish has been the biggest problem, albeit a cosmetic
one. It seems that this design doesn't vent the condensation all that
well, and over the years, the inside has rusted and the enamel finish
has peeled. Looks gross, is impossible to clean, but it still works.

I think my next one will be smaller and have plastic inside.
Moldy Moldy Man

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message > Any microwave will
heat water and steam vegetables. If you have been using
> a 19 year old oven, you may be pleasantly surprised at the newer models.

> recently got a Sharp microwave/convection oven with sensor cook, and I

love
> it. I use it much more than I though I would. The sensor cook feature is
> great as is having the convection option. I find myself using it instead

of
> the larger convection oven in my range. I would recommend that you look

at
> the Sharp microwave/convection unit.
> http://www.sharpusa.com/products/Typ...1056,5,00.html

Thanks for the suggestion- it sounds like solid advice-first I need to do a
litttle research, as I don't know what a convection oven does, but I'll get
back to the group to let you know what I decide-

Moldy Moldy Man

You're right, the radarange is huge, it will be nice to get some counter
space back- thanks for the insights-
Brad

Moldy Moldy Man

Yikes- I'd be concerned about leaking radiation- or is that a myth? Thanks
for the input, I think I might stay away from the panasonic- no matter,
there are lots of other choices out there.

Brad

Moldy Moldy Man

that does make sense- but I kind of got upset when I'd go through a toaster
a year, at 10 bucks a pop. I spent a little more and got a toaster that has
lasted 6 and I am less frustrated. Thanks for the input-

Brad

Moldy Moldy Man

Sharp seems to be the brand- thanks

Brad

Steve Calvin

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Moldy Moldy Man" > wrote in message
>
>>After a 19 year run, our old Radarange is finally on it's last legs. I

> have
>
>>no idea what to look for, or who make a good one these days- I would
>>appreciate any help, please. We will be using the appliance for mostly
>>reheating, heating water for drinks, occassional popcorn, I aslo use it to
>>steam veggies frequently.
>>

> Any microwave will heat water and steam vegetables.

I totally agree with Vox. If all you want it to do what you posted the
buy the cheapest unit that you can find.

--
Steve

Steve Calvin

Moldy Moldy Man wrote:

> Sharp seems to be the brand- thanks
>
> Brad

Depends on what you want to do. For what you've stated, any brand will
do. If you want to do other things, you'll get different answers. I
wouldn't trade my GE Profile convection/micro, period.

--
Steve

Gini

"Paul Eichelberg" > wrote in message
> "Moldy Moldy Man" > wrote:
>
> >After a 19 year run, our old Radarange is finally on it's last legs. I

have
> >no idea what to look for, or who make a good one these days- I would
> >appreciate any help, please. We will be using the appliance for mostly
> >reheating, heating water for drinks, occassional popcorn, I aslo use it

> >steam veggies frequently.

> They tend to be cheap and excellent these days. Sharp is the brand
> that looks and performs best in a modern kitchen.
>
> Check them out.

===
I agree that the Sharp is a great unit--However, I didn't expect to have to
replace
my Carousel Micro/convection/hood (appx $600-700. when purchased) within
5-6 years
due to a broken latch :-(. Unfortunately(?), Sharp changed the design of the
latch
mechanism and no longer makes the type of latch I need so it can't even be
repaired. I have
already posted here about the casing cracking on my unit as well. Because of
this and the loud exhaust fan,
I have decided not to buy another Sharp unit. Still looking but am leaning
toward a Kenmore.
==
==

Vox Humana

"Gini" > wrote in message

> "Paul Eichelberg" > wrote in message
> > "Moldy Moldy Man" > wrote:
> >
> > >After a 19 year run, our old Radarange is finally on it's last legs. I

> have
> > >no idea what to look for, or who make a good one these days- I would
> > >appreciate any help, please. We will be using the appliance for mostly
> > >reheating, heating water for drinks, occassional popcorn, I aslo use it

> > >steam veggies frequently.

> > They tend to be cheap and excellent these days. Sharp is the brand
> > that looks and performs best in a modern kitchen.
> >
> > Check them out.

> ===
> I agree that the Sharp is a great unit--However, I didn't expect to have

> replace
> my Carousel Micro/convection/hood (appx $600-700. when purchased) within
> 5-6 years
> due to a broken latch :-(. Unfortunately(?), Sharp changed the design of

the
> latch
> mechanism and no longer makes the type of latch I need so it can't even be
> repaired. I have
> already posted here about the casing cracking on my unit as well. Because

of
> this and the loud exhaust fan,
> I have decided not to buy another Sharp unit. Still looking but am leaning
> toward a Kenmore.

Have you already replaced the oven? If not, you might be able to find
replacement parts from www.repairclinic.com They have used them a couple of
time and they were great to work with. You might have to call them to get
the part, but if it is available, they will help you find it.

I sure hope they changed the case design. Mine is installed in such a way
that I would have to remove a ceramic tile and the upper cabinet to remove
the oven. Since it is vented to the outside, I would also have to
disconnect the vent. It wouldn't be pretty!

Gini

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Gini" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Paul Eichelberg" > wrote

> > > They tend to be cheap and excellent these days. Sharp is the brand
> > > that looks and performs best in a modern kitchen.
> > >
> > > Check them out.

> > ===
> > I agree that the Sharp is a great unit--However, I didn't expect to

have
> > replace
> > my Carousel Micro/convection/hood (appx $600-700. when purchased)

within
> > 5-6 years
> > due to a broken latch :-(. Unfortunately(?), Sharp changed the design of

> the
> > latch
> > mechanism and no longer makes the type of latch I need so it can't even

be
> > repaired. I have
> > already posted here about the casing cracking on my unit as well.

Because
> of
> > this and the loud exhaust fan,
> > I have decided not to buy another Sharp unit. Still looking but am

leaning
> > toward a Kenmore.

> Have you already replaced the oven? If not, you might be able to find
> replacement parts from www.repairclinic.com They have used them a couple

of
> time and they were great to work with. You might have to call them to get
> the part, but if it is available, they will help you find it.

==
I haven't replaced the oven yet--still window shopping. I
ordered the part and received it but the latch was changed. It's the same
part number
but the design is slightly different and it wouldn't snap into place where
it needs to go.
It's pretty frustrating since the oven works, the fan works, everything
works--Just can't get the door
open without taking off the control panel and sliding a screwdriver back
into the door pocket
and tripping the latch--All after unplugging/replugging the microwave from
inside the upper
cabinet. There's just no easy workaround to it. BTW: The broken mechanism is
just a little
piece of plastic that pivots on two plastic nubbins--
not very durable.
==
==

Vox Humana

"Gini" > wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Gini" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Paul Eichelberg" > wrote

> > > ===
> > > I agree that the Sharp is a great unit--However, I didn't expect to

> have
> > > replace
> > > my Carousel Micro/convection/hood (appx $600-700. when purchased)

> within
> > > 5-6 years
> > > due to a broken latch :-(. Unfortunately(?), Sharp changed the design

of
> > the
> > > latch
> > > mechanism and no longer makes the type of latch I need so it can't

even
> be
> > > repaired. I have
> > > already posted here about the casing cracking on my unit as well.

> Because
> > of
> > > this and the loud exhaust fan,
> > > I have decided not to buy another Sharp unit. Still looking but am

> leaning
> > > toward a Kenmore.

> > Have you already replaced the oven? If not, you might be able to find
> > replacement parts from www.repairclinic.com They have used them a

couple
> of
> > time and they were great to work with. You might have to call them to

get
> > the part, but if it is available, they will help you find it.

> ==
> I haven't replaced the oven yet--still window shopping. I
> ordered the part and received it but the latch was changed. It's the same
> part number
> but the design is slightly different and it wouldn't snap into place where
> it needs to go.
> It's pretty frustrating since the oven works, the fan works, everything
> works--Just can't get the door
> open without taking off the control panel and sliding a screwdriver back
> into the door pocket
> and tripping the latch--All after unplugging/replugging the microwave from
> inside the upper
> cabinet. There's just no easy workaround to it. BTW: The broken mechanism

is
> just a little
> piece of plastic that pivots on two plastic nubbins--
> not very durable.

I hear ya. I had a Hotpoint washer, bottom of the line, that worked well
for 20 years. When that died I got the most expensive Whirlpool washer
offered. After about 18 months it broke. It took two service calls to get
it fixed. The part was plastic and cost $8, retail. The total bill was
$120. I noticed that the tub was rusting so I asked them to replace it
under warranty. There was a lot of grumbling and I had to produce a copy of
the warranty as well as the original receipt. I was told that the only way
they would honor the lifetime warranty on the machine was if I could produce
the owner's manual with the written guarantee. They maintained that they
(Whirlpool) didn't keep track of the warranties. What a load of crap.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Moldy Moldy Man"
> wrote:

> After a 19 year run, our old Radarange is finally on it's last legs. I
> have
> no idea what to look for, or who make a good one these days- I would
> appreciate any help, please. We will be using the appliance for mostly
> reheating, heating water for drinks, occassional popcorn, I aslo use it
> steam veggies frequently.
>
> Brad

You'll be amazed at how cheap they are now. :-) Go for cheap and
whatever you need -- variable power, auto-popcorn button, whatever. You
can get 1000 watts for less than $100. As far as who makes them, I
think there are only two companies that do -- they put all kinds of
labels on them.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 1-31-04
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail;

Moldy Moldy Man > wrote:

> Yikes- I'd be concerned about leaking radiation- or is that a myth? Thanks
> for the input, I think I might stay away from the panasonic- no matter,
> there are lots of other choices out there.

This is not a big issue. If the door didn't close correctly
the oven would not run. Panasonics don't use the push-to-open
thing anymore. I just replaced an older Pansonic with a new
one. The new one has higher power level and cost about half
what the old one did 6 or 7 years ago. Also, some of the new
Panasonics have what they call "inverter" power level control.
This is a true power level setting, as opposed to most units
just cycling on and off to try to regulate power.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that we have had good service
out of Panasonics and you shouldn't disregard them completely.
Oh, and if you are wondering, we just moved the old one to
a new location. It didn't break or anything, just that we
needed a microwave in our new store and decided to use the
older one there and get a nicer new one for home.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Moldy Moldy Man

I wasn't so much worried about the door as the rust-eaten interior walls-
but thanks for you input-
Brad

Moldy Moldy Man

Just wanted to let you all know that I actually went with a $75 GE that
wal-mart had. I think I really like it. It's much faster, and has enough
little bells and whistles to keep me happy. PLUS- those sensors are great-
really do a great job of figuring out when my stuff is done-
Thanks a ton for all of your insights-
Brad