Ribitt

Default Lamé for slashing bread

I have been totally unsuccessful in getting decent slashes on bread. I have
tried a freshly sharpened knife, a serrated knife, an exacto knife and a
razor blade.

Does a lame improve things? No comments, please, on my doubtful ability.

The bread always is fine with a butchered look.

Peter Aitken

"Ribitt" > wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
> I have been totally unsuccessful in getting decent slashes on bread. I

have
> tried a freshly sharpened knife, a serrated knife, an exacto knife and a
> razor blade.
>
> Does a lame improve things? No comments, please, on my doubtful ability.
>
> The bread always is fine with a butchered look.

Not in my experience. I bought a "real" lame and have the same problems you
describe. I suppose it's possible we are both not doing it quite right but
still the bread looks awful. The best alternative I have come up with is to
use a pair of clean, pointed scissors to cut the slits.

--
Peter Aitken

graham

"Ribitt" > wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
> I have been totally unsuccessful in getting decent slashes on bread. I

have
> tried a freshly sharpened knife, a serrated knife, an exacto knife and a
> razor blade.
>
> Does a lame improve things? No comments, please, on my doubtful ability.
>
> The bread always is fine with a butchered look.

Knives don't generally work that well. Use a razor blade, oil it and slash
quickly.
I made a lamé by whittling down a piece of wood and "threading" a
double-edged blade onto it. The resulting curve might be a bit more than in
a commercial lamé but it works.
Graham

Vox Humana

"Ribitt" > wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
> I have been totally unsuccessful in getting decent slashes on bread. I

have
> tried a freshly sharpened knife, a serrated knife, an exacto knife and a
> razor blade.
>
> Does a lame improve things? No comments, please, on my doubtful ability.
>
> The bread always is fine with a butchered look.

I use single edge razor blades from the paint department at the hardware
store. They work better than anything I have tried and the are both
inexpensive and disposable. Since they come with a piece of cardboard
protecting the blade, I just keep a stack of them in a kitchen drawer.

Blanche Nonken

"Ribitt" > wrote:

> I have been totally unsuccessful in getting decent slashes on bread. I have
> tried a freshly sharpened knife, a serrated knife, an exacto knife and a
> razor blade.
>
> Does a lame improve things? No comments, please, on my doubtful ability.
>
> The bread always is fine with a butchered look.

I've done best with a cheapo "Ginsu" type "knife." Really.

Lorea

My best results come from super-sharp Japanese knives.

"Ribitt" > wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
> I have been totally unsuccessful in getting decent slashes on bread. I

have
> tried a freshly sharpened knife, a serrated knife, an exacto knife and a
> razor blade.
>
> Does a lame improve things? No comments, please, on my doubtful ability.
>
> The bread always is fine with a butchered look.

Jack Denver

Not really, because a lame' IS a razor blaze, just on the end of a stick.
For some reason, double edge blades are thinner and sharper than singles, so
use those (but mind your fingers). As someone said, you can improvise your
own by attaching a blade to a stick. The blade should have a curve to it,
like a grapefruit knife.

To get the "ears" that French bread has, you hold the lame' almost flat to
the top of the loaf and slash in sideways, not with the edge vertical - this
is probably your mistake.
Here is a photo showing the proper technique:

http://ww2.kingarthurflour.com/image...logue/4175.jpg

Without the lame' or an improvised version, it's hard to get the right
angle - held in your fingers or without the curve the blade or a regular
knife would tend to get hung up on the surface of the loaf.

Here's a picture of a refillable one that uses razor blades

http://ww2.kingarthurflour.com/image...logue/6378.jpg

IMHO, laughably unworth the $30 they are charging. I'd put the actual value
of this item at under $1.

"Ribitt" > wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
> I have been totally unsuccessful in getting decent slashes on bread. I

have
> tried a freshly sharpened knife, a serrated knife, an exacto knife and a
> razor blade.
>
> Does a lame improve things? No comments, please, on my doubtful ability.
>
> The bread always is fine with a butchered look.

Dee Randall

"Ribitt" > wrote in message
able.rogers.com...
> I have been totally unsuccessful in getting decent slashes on bread. I

have
> tried a freshly sharpened knife, a serrated knife, an exacto knife and a
> razor blade.
>
> Does a lame improve things? No comments, please, on my doubtful ability.
>
> The bread always is fine with a butchered look.

I got this from
The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread by
Peter Reinhart

"Use a razor sharp blade or a double-edged blade on a stick called a “lame.”

The cut is made with just the tip of the blade to avoid dragging the back
part of the blade through the dough, which would rip it, rather than
slitting it. Say the word, “slit” when you make the cut to emphasize this
over any other notion of cutting, like slitting an envelope.

The cut should NOT go straight down, but rather on an angle, so that the
slit is almost parallel to the surface of the bread.

This will encourage a separation between the crust side of the cut and the
rest of the loaf, resulting in what is called an ear.

As the loaf bakes, it will spring in the oven releasing some of the trapped
gasses through the weakest points, the cut points, causing the loaf to open
in what the French call la gringne, or the grin, and we call the bloom.

In competitions, the loaves are judged to a great extent on the uniformity
and consistency of the cuts and the quality of the bloom."

Dee

Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> "Ribitt" > wrote in message
> able.rogers.com...
> > I have been totally unsuccessful in getting decent slashes on bread. I

> have
> > tried a freshly sharpened knife, a serrated knife, an exacto knife and a
> > razor blade.
> >
> > Does a lame improve things? No comments, please, on my doubtful ability.
> >
> > The bread always is fine with a butchered look.
> >

> I got this from
> The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread by
> Peter Reinhart
>

> "Use a razor sharp blade or a double-edged blade on a stick called a

“lame.”

> The cut is made with just the tip of the blade to avoid dragging the back
> part of the blade through the dough, which would rip it, rather than
> slitting it. Say the word, “slit” when you make the cut to emphasize this
> over any other notion of cutting, like slitting an envelope.

While I use a single-edge blade, I have found though trial and error that
cutting with just the tip (or corner) as recommended in your citation works
best. I don't try to make a deep cut. I just try to slit the surface.

Kenneth

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:39:05 GMT, "Ribitt" >
wrote:

>I have been totally unsuccessful in getting decent slashes on bread. I have
>tried a freshly sharpened knife, a serrated knife, an exacto knife and a
>razor blade.
>
>Does a lame improve things? No comments, please, on my doubtful ability.
>
>The bread always is fine with a butchered look.

Howdy,

First, a minor spelling quibble <g>. It is not a "Lamé" (Lamay). It is
a Lame (pronounced "Lom").

That urgent matter behind us, here's a tip:

The cuts must be very "deliberate." That is, even the very slightest
hesitation will cause "tearing" and the chopped up look.

Hole the lame, prepare yourself emotionally, and then Bang! do the
slice in one quick move.

I know that it may sound silly, but it really may help.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Dee Randall

"Kenneth" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 20:39:05 GMT, "Ribitt" >
> wrote:
>
> >I have been totally unsuccessful in getting decent slashes on bread. I

have
> >tried a freshly sharpened knife, a serrated knife, an exacto knife and a
> >razor blade.
> >
> >Does a lame improve things? No comments, please, on my doubtful ability.
> >
> >The bread always is fine with a butchered look.
> >

> Howdy,
>
> First, a minor spelling quibble <g>. It is not a "Lamé" (Lamay). It is
> a Lame (pronounced "Lom").
>
> That urgent matter behind us, here's a tip:
>
> The cuts must be very "deliberate." That is, even the very slightest
> hesitation will cause "tearing" and the chopped up look.
>
> Hole the lame, prepare yourself emotionally, and then Bang! do the
> slice in one quick move.
>
> I know that it may sound silly, but it really may help.
>
> All the best,
>
> --
> Kenneth

Kenneth, You say
> First, a minor spelling quibble <g>. It is not a "Lamé" (Lamay). It is
> a Lame (pronounced "Lom").

I assume that you are speaking that it is pronounced LOM in English? Or in
French as well?

Thanks,
Dee

Kenneth

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:17:29 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:

>I assume that you are speaking that it is pronounced LOM in English? Or in
>French as well?

It is pronounced in English as it is in French. There is no accent on
the "e". It is said as "lom."

--
Kenneth

Dee Randall

"Kenneth" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:17:29 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:
>
> >I assume that you are speaking that it is pronounced LOM in English? Or

in
> >French as well?

> It is pronounced in English as it is in French. There is no accent on
> the "e". It is said as "lom."

Both with the same definition: I thought that there is a femine noun, "lame"
pronounced lom or lohm, and then a masculine word "lame with the accent
mark," pronounced lohm-may.

But --

dee

jonathan sands

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message >...
> "Kenneth" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:17:29 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> > <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:
> >
> > >I assume that you are speaking that it is pronounced LOM in English? Or

> in
> > >French as well?

> > It is pronounced in English as it is in French. There is no accent on
> > the "e". It is said as "lom."

> Both with the same definition: I thought that there is a femine noun, "lame"
> pronounced lom or lohm, and then a masculine word "lame with the accent
> mark," pronounced lohm-may.
>
> But --
>
> dee

I find the secret to a good slash is allowing the bread to dry out a
little on the final rise by NOT covering it. The slightly dry "crust"
slashes beautifully but you can't tell you left it uncovered when it
comes out.
Dee Randall

"jonathan sands" > wrote in message
om...
> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message

> > "Kenneth" > wrote in message

Or
> > in
> > >
> > > It is pronounced in English as it is in French. There is no accent on
> > > the "e". It is said as "lom."

> > Both with the same definition: I thought that there is a femine noun,

"lame"
> > pronounced lom or lohm, and then a masculine word "lame with the accent
> > mark," pronounced lohm-may.
> >
> > But --
> >
> > dee

> I find the secret to a good slash is allowing the bread to dry out a
> little on the final rise by NOT covering it. The slightly dry "crust"
> slashes beautifully but you can't tell you left it uncovered when it
> comes out.

Since it has a thick skin on it, I'd be afraid that I would have to "jab"
into the loaf with the blade -- not so?
thanks,
Dee

Ribitt

on

> > > Both with the same definition: I thought that there is a femine noun,

> "lame"
> > > pronounced lom or lohm, and then a masculine word "lame with the

accent
> > > mark," pronounced lohm-may.

Getting way off topic here.

I now find the two definitions a

La lame (feminine, no accent) is the blade of a sword, or a razor. Fits our
application.

Le lamé (masculine, with accent) is the gold and silver which women seek for
their fancy gowns.

My french-speaking friends have no idea where or how the "lohm"
pronounciation came from. They wouldn't use it themselves in either French
or English.

By these definitions, virtually all of the on-line kitchen supply places use
the wrong spelling.

And to get back on topic, I ordered one of the things (without the accent)
at a local store and will pick it up tomorrow. We'll see how it works out.

Dee Randall

"Ribitt" > wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...

> on

noun,
> > "lame"

> accent
> > > >

> Getting way off topic here.
>
> I now find the two definitions a
>
> La lame (feminine, no accent) is the blade of a sword, or a razor. Fits

our
> application.
>
> Le lamé (masculine, with accent) is the gold and silver which women seek

for
> their fancy gowns.
>
> My french-speaking friends have no idea where or how the "lohm"
> pronounciation came from. They wouldn't use it themselves in either French
> or English.
>
> By these definitions, virtually all of the on-line kitchen supply places

use
> the wrong spelling.
>
> And to get back on topic, I ordered one of the things (without the accent)
> at a local store and will pick it up tomorrow. We'll see how it works out.

I also bought one of these things -- it was called neither lame or lame with
an accent. It was an American "razor in an applicator."

>My french-speaking friends have no idea where or how the "lohm"

pronounciation came from. They wouldn't use it themselves in either French
or English.>

What do you mean, they wouldn't use the word, "lame" OR the wouldn't use
the razor to cut the bread?

Either way, why wouldn't they use whatever they would not use.

Dee

Ribitt

> > My french-speaking friends have no idea where or how the "lohm"
> > pronounciation came from. They wouldn't use it themselves in either

French
> > or English.
> >

> > And to get back on topic, I ordered one of the things (without the

accent)
> > at a local store and will pick it up tomorrow. We'll see how it works

out.

> >My french-speaking friends have no idea where or how the "lohm"

> pronounciation came from. They wouldn't use it themselves in either French
> or English.>
>
> What do you mean, they wouldn't use the word, "lame" OR the wouldn't use
> the razor to cut the bread?
>
> Either way, why wouldn't they use whatever they would not use.
>
> Dee

No no. They wouldn't use the pronunciation 'lohm' en Anglaise ou en
Francaise

Of course any language has its variations around the world. Forget the
French. Can you imagine someone in Texas speaking to someone in Glasgow
about how to pronounce anything in the English language?

Back on topic, I picked up my lame (made in France, without the accent)
today and as I took it out of the protective sheath to see what I had bought
I promptly knicked my thumb big time. Hopes it works as well on some
baguettes later this week.

Dee Randall

"Ribitt" > wrote in message
le.rogers.com...

> > > My french-speaking friends have no idea where or how the "lohm"
> > > pronounciation came from. They wouldn't use it themselves in either

> French
> > > or English.
> > >

> > > And to get back on topic, I ordered one of the things (without the

> accent)
> > > at a local store and will pick it up tomorrow. We'll see how it works

> out.
> > >
> > >My french-speaking friends have no idea where or how the "lohm"

> > pronounciation came from. They wouldn't use it themselves in either

French
> > or English.>
> >
> > What do you mean, they wouldn't use the word, "lame" OR the wouldn't

use
> > the razor to cut the bread?
> >
> > Either way, why wouldn't they use whatever they would not use.
> >
> > Dee
> >

> No no. They wouldn't use the pronunciation 'lohm' en Anglaise ou en
> Francaise
>
> Of course any language has its variations around the world. Forget the
> French. Can you imagine someone in Texas speaking to someone in Glasgow
> about how to pronounce anything in the English language?

LaMay, LaMay, LaMay

> Back on topic, I picked up my lame (made in France, without the accent)
> today and as I took it out of the protective sheath to see what I had

bought
> I promptly knicked my thumb big time. Hopes it works as well on some
> baguettes later this week.

This may be a lame request but oh well Janis Preserving 19 28-08-2008 09:24 PM
Slashing -- sourdough vs. yeast breads smdgl Sourdough 5 03-03-2005 01:13 AM
Slashing high hydration loaves... Kenneth Sourdough 3 22-02-2004 03:27 PM
Slashing Marcella Tracy Peek Sourdough 8 30-11-2003 02:25 AM
Loaves need better slashing. (Photos) Ed Bechtel Sourdough 4 29-11-2003 06:26 PM