Eastward Bound

Default electric range?

<<<<<<<<<<I recently spent a good deal of time researching gas ranges
to replace
my 12 year old electric one. I was all set to buy one when I
discovered that the cost of installing a gas line to my kitchen is
$700! I was thinking, maybe I'll pay $200. Unfortunately, this is
too much for me to pay in addition to the range. Now here is my
question, I have been searching around but unable to find a good
comparison of eletric cooking technologies. Smoothtop, coil, radient,
halogen, etc. Currently we have coils that take forever to heat up.
I am looking for the equivalent of say, 4 12K btu burners. Many of
the eletric ranges don't appear to have heat ratings. Or I could just
be missing it all. Any suggestions? Is it practical to get a combo
radient/induction?

Thanks,
-Dave>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The reason why your electric coils take forever to heat up is because
like you said they are 12 years old. And that was in 2001, now in
2004 they are 15 years old. As electric heating elements get old and
used they start to resist electricity more. They really should all be
replaced before 5 years. The electric elements in the oven is a
different story and should be replaced when they burn out.

Electric coil stoves are more preferable to the alternatives. Even
gas which is too inconsistent for decent cooking.
Wayne Boatwright

(Eastward Bound) wrote in
om:

> <<<<<<<<<<I recently spent a good deal of time researching gas ranges
> to replace
> my 12 year old electric one. I was all set to buy one when I
> discovered that the cost of installing a gas line to my kitchen is
> $700! I was thinking, maybe I'll pay $200. Unfortunately, this is
> too much for me to pay in addition to the range. Now here is my
> question, I have been searching around but unable to find a good
> comparison of eletric cooking technologies. Smoothtop, coil, radient,
> halogen, etc. Currently we have coils that take forever to heat up.
> I am looking for the equivalent of say, 4 12K btu burners. Many of
> the eletric ranges don't appear to have heat ratings. Or I could just
> be missing it all. Any suggestions? Is it practical to get a combo
> radient/induction?
>
> Thanks,
> -Dave>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>

> The reason why your electric coils take forever to heat up is because
> like you said they are 12 years old. And that was in 2001, now in
> 2004 they are 15 years old. As electric heating elements get old and
> used they start to resist electricity more. They really should all be
> replaced before 5 years. The electric elements in the oven is a
> different story and should be replaced when they burn out.
>
> Electric coil stoves are more preferable to the alternatives. Even
> gas which is too inconsistent for decent cooking.

Electric coil stoves are achaic compared to other forms of electric
ranges. Smoothtops generally heat faster, cool faster, and have a
broader range of adjustable temperature. Halogens are "instant on"
"instant off" but they do command a very high price, as does induction.

Wayne
Eastward Bound

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message >...
> (Eastward Bound) wrote in
> om:
>
> > <<<<<<<<<<I recently spent a good deal of time researching gas ranges
> > to replace
> > my 12 year old electric one. I was all set to buy one when I
> > discovered that the cost of installing a gas line to my kitchen is
> > $700! I was thinking, maybe I'll pay $200. Unfortunately, this is
> > too much for me to pay in addition to the range. Now here is my
> > question, I have been searching around but unable to find a good
> > comparison of eletric cooking technologies. Smoothtop, coil, radient,
> > halogen, etc. Currently we have coils that take forever to heat up.
> > I am looking for the equivalent of say, 4 12K btu burners. Many of
> > the eletric ranges don't appear to have heat ratings. Or I could just
> > be missing it all. Any suggestions? Is it practical to get a combo
> > radient/induction?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Dave>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> >

> > The reason why your electric coils take forever to heat up is because
> > like you said they are 12 years old. And that was in 2001, now in
> > 2004 they are 15 years old. As electric heating elements get old and
> > used they start to resist electricity more. They really should all be
> > replaced before 5 years. The electric elements in the oven is a
> > different story and should be replaced when they burn out.
> >
> > Electric coil stoves are more preferable to the alternatives. Even
> > gas which is too inconsistent for decent cooking.
> >

> Electric coil stoves are achaic compared to other forms of electric
> ranges. Smoothtops generally heat faster, cool faster, and have a
> broader range of adjustable temperature. Halogens are "instant on"
> "instant off" but they do command a very high price, as does induction.
>
> Wayne

That is totally JADED! Spin spin spin. Coil is still preferable.
Those halloballo new designes are sensitive to the shape and bottom
surface of your pots and pans. On many of them they are programed to
turn off if you put a too large or too small pot or pan. Glass
surfaces are impossible to clean even with the razor blade if you cook
lots of sugary foods. Coil is still #1 far into the forseable future.

Eastward Bound > wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message >...
> >
> > Electric coil stoves are achaic compared to other forms of electric
> > ranges. Smoothtops generally heat faster, cool faster, and have a
> > broader range of adjustable temperature. Halogens are "instant on"
> > "instant off" but they do command a very high price, as does induction.

> That is totally JADED! Spin spin spin. Coil is still preferable.
> Those halloballo new designes are sensitive to the shape and bottom
> surface of your pots and pans. On many of them they are programed to
> turn off if you put a too large or too small pot or pan. Glass
> surfaces are impossible to clean even with the razor blade if you cook
> lots of sugary foods. Coil is still #1 far into the forseable future.

I'm not sure where you get your views on the glass smoothtops, but
my wife and I have a glass top in our kitchen. We use it to make
candies and fudge, along with general cooking. It is certainly
not hard to clean, even when drips of toffee set up on it. We
have not had any problem using pots of any size, and the only
ones that have a problem are ones that don't sit flat. That
mainly means they don't heat very well, but they'd have the
some issue on a coil. We even use old cast iron frying pans
for bacon and eggs and the like. Basically, we do everything
that people say causes problems with glass top stoves and have
not had a problem. It's only been 9 years though, so maybe
we haven't been doing it long enough to find out . . .

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Boron Elgar

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:56:20 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

>Eastward Bound > wrote:
>> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in message >...
>> >
>> > Electric coil stoves are achaic compared to other forms of electric
>> > ranges. Smoothtops generally heat faster, cool faster, and have a
>> > broader range of adjustable temperature. Halogens are "instant on"
>> > "instant off" but they do command a very high price, as does induction.

>> That is totally JADED! Spin spin spin. Coil is still preferable.
>> Those halloballo new designes are sensitive to the shape and bottom
>> surface of your pots and pans. On many of them they are programed to
>> turn off if you put a too large or too small pot or pan. Glass
>> surfaces are impossible to clean even with the razor blade if you cook
>> lots of sugary foods. Coil is still #1 far into the forseable future.

>I'm not sure where you get your views on the glass smoothtops, but
>my wife and I have a glass top in our kitchen. We use it to make
>candies and fudge, along with general cooking. It is certainly
>not hard to clean, even when drips of toffee set up on it. We
>have not had any problem using pots of any size, and the only
>ones that have a problem are ones that don't sit flat. That
>mainly means they don't heat very well, but they'd have the
>some issue on a coil. We even use old cast iron frying pans
>for bacon and eggs and the like. Basically, we do everything
>that people say causes problems with glass top stoves and have
>not had a problem. It's only been 9 years though, so maybe
>we haven't been doing it long enough to find out . . .
>
>Bill Ranck
>Blacksburg, Va.

That is about as long as I have had my glass top and I concur.

I have never had a burner turn off. I have never had any difficulty
cleaning a sugary mess or any other burned on glop. I use a scraper
with a razor blade & off it comes. A quick polish with a glass top
cream cleaner and it looks brand new.

The only pans I have had difficulty with are the inexpensive teflon
frying pans. They have a tendency to warp and no longer sit flat after
a couple of years. They are only $10-12 dollars and every 2-3 years I
get a new one. My other pots and pans, some of which I have had for
30 years, do quite well on it. Cast iron, clad stainless, aluminum,
ceramic...no difference.

Boron

Gini

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:56:20 +0000 (UTC), wrote:
>
> >Eastward Bound > wrote:
> >> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in

message >...

induction.

> >> That is totally JADED! Spin spin spin. Coil is still preferable.
> >> Those halloballo new designes are sensitive to the shape and bottom
> >> surface of your pots and pans. On many of them they are programed to
> >> turn off if you put a too large or too small pot or pan. Glass
> >> surfaces are impossible to clean even with the razor blade if you cook
> >> lots of sugary foods. Coil is still #1 far into the forseable future.

> >I'm not sure where you get your views on the glass smoothtops, but
> >my wife and I have a glass top in our kitchen. We use it to make
> >candies and fudge, along with general cooking. It is certainly
> >not hard to clean, even when drips of toffee set up on it. We
> >have not had any problem using pots of any size, and the only
> >ones that have a problem are ones that don't sit flat. That
> >mainly means they don't heat very well, but they'd have the
> >some issue on a coil. We even use old cast iron frying pans
> >for bacon and eggs and the like. Basically, we do everything
> >that people say causes problems with glass top stoves and have
> >not had a problem. It's only been 9 years though, so maybe
> >we haven't been doing it long enough to find out . . .
> >
> >Bill Ranck
> >Blacksburg, Va.

> That is about as long as I have had my glass top and I concur.
>
> I have never had a burner turn off. I have never had any difficulty
> cleaning a sugary mess or any other burned on glop. I use a scraper
> with a razor blade & off it comes. A quick polish with a glass top
> cream cleaner and it looks brand new.
>
> The only pans I have had difficulty with are the inexpensive teflon
> frying pans. They have a tendency to warp and no longer sit flat after
> a couple of years. They are only $10-12 dollars and every 2-3 years I
> get a new one. My other pots and pans, some of which I have had for
> 30 years, do quite well on it. Cast iron, clad stainless, aluminum,
> ceramic...no difference.
>
> Boron

==
Agreement from another longtime smoothtop user. I have never seen a range
that turns
itself off if a pot is the "incorrect" (Perhaps the OP could reference the
model with this
quirk so folks could avoid it.) and my range top is as clean as it was the
day it was installed.
Now, if someone spilled a sugary substance on the top and heated it over and
over instead
of wiping it off when cold, it might be a challenge to clean. However, most
people clean their spills up
ASAP no matter the range type.
==
==

Wayne Boatwright

(Eastward Bound) wrote in
om:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> message >...

(Eastward Bound) wrote in
>> om:
>>
>> > <<<<<<<<<<I recently spent a good deal of time researching gas
>> > ranges to replace
>> > my 12 year old electric one. I was all set to buy one when I
>> > discovered that the cost of installing a gas line to my kitchen is
>> > $700! I was thinking, maybe I'll pay $200. Unfortunately, this is
>> > too much for me to pay in addition to the range. Now here is my
>> > question, I have been searching around but unable to find a good
>> > comparison of eletric cooking technologies. Smoothtop, coil,
>> > radient, halogen, etc. Currently we have coils that take forever
>> > to heat up. I am looking for the equivalent of say, 4 12K btu
>> > burners. Many of the eletric ranges don't appear to have heat
>> > ratings. Or I could just be missing it all. Any suggestions? Is
>> > it practical to get a combo radient/induction?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > -Dave>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>> >

>> > The reason why your electric coils take forever to heat up is
>> > because like you said they are 12 years old. And that was in 2001,
>> > now in 2004 they are 15 years old. As electric heating elements
>> > get old and used they start to resist electricity more. They
>> > really should all be replaced before 5 years. The electric
>> > elements in the oven is a different story and should be replaced
>> > when they burn out.
>> >
>> > Electric coil stoves are more preferable to the alternatives. Even
>> > gas which is too inconsistent for decent cooking.
>> >

>> Electric coil stoves are achaic compared to other forms of electric
>> ranges. Smoothtops generally heat faster, cool faster, and have a
>> broader range of adjustable temperature. Halogens are "instant on"
>> "instant off" but they do command a very high price, as does
>> induction.
>>
>> Wayne

> That is totally JADED! Spin spin spin. Coil is still preferable.
> Those halloballo new designes are sensitive to the shape and bottom
> surface of your pots and pans. On many of them they are programed to
> turn off if you put a too large or too small pot or pan. Glass
> surfaces are impossible to clean even with the razor blade if you cook
> lots of sugary foods. Coil is still #1 far into the forseable future.

In you dreams, bucko!
graham

snip
> >> Electric coil stoves are achaic compared to other forms of electric
> >> ranges. Smoothtops generally heat faster, cool faster, and have a
> >> broader range of adjustable temperature. Halogens are "instant on"
> >> "instant off" but they do command a very high price, as does
> >> induction.
> >>
> >> Wayne

> > That is totally JADED! Spin spin spin. Coil is still preferable.
> > Those halloballo new designes are sensitive to the shape and bottom
> > surface of your pots and pans. On many of them they are programed to
> > turn off if you put a too large or too small pot or pan. Glass
> > surfaces are impossible to clean even with the razor blade if you cook
> > lots of sugary foods. Coil is still #1 far into the forseable future.
> >

> In your dreams, bucko!

I agree with Wayne, FWIW. I've had a ceramic smoothtop with one halogen for
about 6 years and would never go back to those primitive coils. One can
adjust the heat output from the non-halogen "spots" with the same effect as
adjusting a gas flame. Wasn't there a test in a Consumer's Report that
found that in normal use, electric smoothtops were more efficient than gas
and heated a saucepan of water to boiling point more quickly?
Graham

Graham

Peter Aitken

"Gini" > wrote in message

> "Boron Elgar" > wrote in message

> message >...

> induction.

cook

future.

> > >I'm not sure where you get your views on the glass smoothtops, but
> > >my wife and I have a glass top in our kitchen. We use it to make
> > >candies and fudge, along with general cooking. It is certainly
> > >not hard to clean, even when drips of toffee set up on it. We
> > >have not had any problem using pots of any size, and the only
> > >ones that have a problem are ones that don't sit flat. That
> > >mainly means they don't heat very well, but they'd have the
> > >some issue on a coil. We even use old cast iron frying pans
> > >for bacon and eggs and the like. Basically, we do everything
> > >that people say causes problems with glass top stoves and have
> > >not had a problem. It's only been 9 years though, so maybe
> > >we haven't been doing it long enough to find out . . .
> > >
> > >Bill Ranck
> > >Blacksburg, Va.

> > That is about as long as I have had my glass top and I concur.
> >
> > I have never had a burner turn off. I have never had any difficulty
> > cleaning a sugary mess or any other burned on glop. I use a scraper
> > with a razor blade & off it comes. A quick polish with a glass top
> > cream cleaner and it looks brand new.
> >
> > The only pans I have had difficulty with are the inexpensive teflon
> > frying pans. They have a tendency to warp and no longer sit flat after
> > a couple of years. They are only $10-12 dollars and every 2-3 years I
> > get a new one. My other pots and pans, some of which I have had for
> > 30 years, do quite well on it. Cast iron, clad stainless, aluminum,
> > ceramic...no difference.
> >
> > Boron

> ==
> Agreement from another longtime smoothtop user. I have never seen a range
> that turns
> itself off if a pot is the "incorrect" (Perhaps the OP could reference

the
> model with this
> quirk so folks could avoid it.) and my range top is as clean as it was the
> day it was installed.
> Now, if someone spilled a sugary substance on the top and heated it over

and
> over instead
> of wiping it off when cold, it might be a challenge to clean. However,

most
> people clean their spills up
> ASAP no matter the range type.
> ==

Some smoothtops, including my Dacor, have an overheating detector that turns
the element off if it gets too hot - otherwise the element might be damaged.
For example if the element is turned to high with no pan on it to absorb the
heat this may happen. I suppose if you put a small pan on a large element it
might happen too. I think this is actually an advantage because it lets them
put in really powerful elements.

--
Peter Aitken

Gini

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> "Gini" > wrote in message

> > message >...

electric

on"

> > induction.

> cook

> future.

> > > That is about as long as I have had my glass top and I concur.
> > >
> > > I have never had a burner turn off. I have never had any difficulty
> > > cleaning a sugary mess or any other burned on glop. I use a scraper
> > > with a razor blade & off it comes. A quick polish with a glass top
> > > cream cleaner and it looks brand new.
> > >
> > > The only pans I have had difficulty with are the inexpensive teflon
> > > frying pans. They have a tendency to warp and no longer sit flat after
> > > a couple of years. They are only $10-12 dollars and every 2-3 years I
> > > get a new one. My other pots and pans, some of which I have had for
> > > 30 years, do quite well on it. Cast iron, clad stainless, aluminum,
> > > ceramic...no difference.
> > >
> > > Boron

> > ==
> > Agreement from another longtime smoothtop user. I have never seen a

range
> > that turns
> > itself off if a pot is the "incorrect" (Perhaps the OP could reference

> the
> > model with this
> > quirk so folks could avoid it.) and my range top is as clean as it was

the
> > day it was installed.
> > Now, if someone spilled a sugary substance on the top and heated it over

> and
> > over instead
> > of wiping it off when cold, it might be a challenge to clean. However,

> most
> > people clean their spills up
> > ASAP no matter the range type.
> > ==

> Some smoothtops, including my Dacor, have an overheating detector that

turns
> the element off if it gets too hot - otherwise the element might be

damaged.
> For example if the element is turned to high with no pan on it to absorb

the
> heat this may happen. I suppose if you put a small pan on a large element

it
> might happen too. I think this is actually an advantage because it lets

them
> put in really powerful elements.

==
What is the wattage of those elements? My Kenmore "power burner" has 2600
watts--
Are Dacor's higher than that? FWIW: The vintage 50s GE I have in the garage
has
2600 watt elements as well (original).
==
==

> --
> Peter Aitken
>
> Remove the crap from my email address before using.

LRod

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 14:49:40 -0500, "Gini" > wrote:

[A short comment following at least four complete levels of by now
irrelevant quotes]

Any chance y'all could edit out some of the previous comments before
posting your reply? Just leave the pertinent parts.

Thanks.

LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net