FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   mortar & pestle material (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/77338-mortar-pestle-material.html)

[email protected] 24-12-2005 11:16 AM

mortar & pestle material

hello,
i'm in the market for a good m&p and was wondering about the best
material. granite seems to make the most sense. i plan on using it
mainly for thai curries and italian pestos.
thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

Viviane 24-12-2005 11:58 AM

mortar & pestle material

I have a granite one and it's great. It's very heavy so the stuff gets
pounded easily. The only hassle is lifting it to the sink to wash it! In
Sydney, the cheapest places to pick up the granite ones are in the Asian
supermarkets in Chinatown.

oups.com...

emjtds 25-12-2005 01:53 PM

mortar & pestle material

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> hello,
> i'm in the market for a good m&p and was wondering about the best
> material. granite seems to make the most sense. i plan on using it
> mainly for thai curries and italian pestos.
> thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

Granite is terrific. Here's where I got mine:

http://www.importfood.com/index.html

Good luck, Terry

Melba's Jammin' 26-12-2005 07:00 PM

mortar & pestle material

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> hello,
> i'm in the market for a good m&p and was wondering about the best
> material. granite seems to make the most sense. i plan on using it
> mainly for thai curries and italian pestos.
> thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

I'm pretty sure mine is porcelain. I have only a small one.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 12-22-05

Viviane 27-12-2005 09:51 AM

mortar & pestle material

Are they as fragile as they sound? I'd be too scared of it breaking.
That's why I really like my granite one - it's very robust.

Louis Cohen 28-12-2005 04:16 AM

mortar & pestle material

wrote:
> hello,
> i'm in the market for a good m&p and was wondering about the best
> material. granite seems to make the most sense. i plan on using it
> mainly for thai curries and italian pestos.
> thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

IIRC, Alton Brown recommended a ceramic with an unglazed interior - the
rougher interior (compared to granite) helps grind things up.

Louis Cohen

Bah! Humbug!

[email protected] 29-12-2005 10:29 AM

mortar & pestle material

thanks for all the comments.
ceramic just doesn't seem to be ideal for hard grinding of spices and
abrasive ingredients--granite (rock) just seems more robust than
ceramic (glass).

Karen Wheless 29-12-2005 05:34 PM

mortar & pestle material

> ceramic just doesn't seem to be ideal for hard grinding of spices and
> abrasive ingredients--granite (rock) just seems more robust than
> ceramic (glass).

Scientists generally use ceramic mortar & pestles, and they work very
well - as long as you get a good quality one, they will last forever and
grind up just about anything you want. I'm a chemist and I use a
ceramic mortar & pestle in the lab to grind up hard blocks of chemicals
- probably more abrasive than anything I'd use at home in the kitchen.
The good ones are made to take a lot of abuse.

They are breakable, if you dropped one on a hard floor, and they're not
as pretty as the granite ones, but a good quality ceramic mortar &
pestle will work just fine.

Karen

wff_ng_7 29-12-2005 08:39 PM

mortar & pestle material

> wrote:
> thanks for all the comments.
> ceramic just doesn't seem to be ideal for hard grinding of spices and
> abrasive ingredients--granite (rock) just seems more robust than
> ceramic (glass).

I've also got one of those ceramic ones... vitrified ceramic. The material
is extremely dense and impervious to moisture. It doesn't absorb anything
and doesn't stain. Mine is unglazed and has a somewhat rough finish that
helps in the grinding.

There are different kinds of ceramic mortars and pestles, including
vitrified ceramic, stoneware, porcelain, and even glass. Just as there is a
vast difference between earthenware, stoneware, and porcelain when used for
dishes, there is a vast difference in "ceramics" when used for a mortar and
pestle.

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

P.Aitken 29-12-2005 09:08 PM

mortar & pestle material

wff_ng_7 wrote:

> > wrote:
>
>>thanks for all the comments.
>>ceramic just doesn't seem to be ideal for hard grinding of spices and
>>abrasive ingredients--granite (rock) just seems more robust than
>>ceramic (glass).

> I've also got one of those ceramic ones... vitrified ceramic. The material
> is extremely dense and impervious to moisture. It doesn't absorb anything
> and doesn't stain. Mine is unglazed and has a somewhat rough finish that
> helps in the grinding.
>
> There are different kinds of ceramic mortars and pestles, including
> vitrified ceramic, stoneware, porcelain, and even glass. Just as there is a
> vast difference between earthenware, stoneware, and porcelain when used for
> dishes, there is a vast difference in "ceramics" when used for a mortar and
> pestle.

Indeed, porcelain is fired to a very high temp and is quite hard. Even
so, we have a marble M&P and it has served will for over a decade. Even
a relatively soft material, as stones go, such as marble is a lot harder
than any spice

Peter

Mike Acord 01-01-2006 10:16 PM

mortar & pestle material

I have a ceramic M&P that I have used for nearly 40 years without a
single problem. It is about 6 inches across, and it wasn't cheap, even
then. My advice is to invest in a good ceramic set, and don't drop it.
Your great grandchildren will still be using it. The best come from
Coors (Yes, the beer people, politics aside.) A Google for coors
ceramics should turn up what you need, but any good laboratory supply
(e.g., van Waters and Rogers) should be able to help as well.
Granite would be a good second choice, and it looks great if you are
serving something like guacamole in it.
Mike Acord

jamie 06-01-2006 09:49 PM

mortar & pestle material

On 2005-12-24 06:16:30 -0500, "
> said:

> hello,
> i'm in the market for a good m&p and was wondering about the best
> material. granite seems to make the most sense. i plan on using it
> mainly for thai curries and italian pestos.
> thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

we sell granite and marble and lava stome from mexico is good too
shopbowery.com