Dee Randall

Default Wusthof Classic 7-Inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife

Has anyone used this knife

Wusthof Classic 7-Inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife

You can see it he

http://www.shopping2.com/products/B00005MEGX

It says that the:

Blade, bolster, tang forged from single piece of high-carbon stainless steel

I use a similar knife everyday and it has a straight blade and the blade is
probably smaller in size. It is made of carbon steel.

My husband uses a similar sized knife everyday with the straight blade and
it is made of high-carbon stainless steel.

For some reason, we both prefer different knives, both of us saying we can't
cut with the other's knife.

I would not buy a new one except my wooden handle is finally after 30 years
splitting from moisture. I'm afraid that I might not like the carbon steel,
but because of these edges that are different, that would make it easier to
use; however, it does say that these funny edges are to keep the vegetables
from sticking to the blade.

Any comments for me appreciated.

Dee

Blanche Nonken

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:

> I would not buy a new one except my wooden handle is finally after 30 years
> splitting from moisture.

You might consider looking for someone who can craft a new handle for
your knife. The steel sounds like it's in good shape, and handles can
be replaced.
Colin

Sad to say, but getting a new handle is probably more expensive than a a
new knife.

I prefer carbon steel blades myself. They are sharper and easier to
sharpen.

Consider getting a new carbon steel french knife. Look at
www.cutlery.com or www.cutleryandmore.com for a good selection. The
first store has a wider range of pieces, but higher prices.

I have dealt with both companies and had no problems..

Colin

Blanche Nonken wrote:
> "Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:
>

>>I would not buy a new one except my wooden handle is finally after 30 years
>>splitting from moisture.

> You might consider looking for someone who can craft a new handle for
> your knife. The steel sounds like it's in good shape, and handles can
> be replaced.

Steve B

Fred wrote:

> Here's a good place to help explain this. The purpose of the kullens (the
> little hollows) on the blade is to reduce the tendency of food to stick to
> the blade. This is a useful feature on knives that are used for slicing.
> But the Chef's knife is not intended to be a slicer (although it will slice)
> but rather a chopper, dicer and mincer. So the kullens don't really help
> much in this knife like they would with a slicer. So there is really
> nothing to gain with them in a wide bladed chef knife designed for chopping
> dicing and mincing.
>
> But there is something to lose. As you wear away steel sharpening the edge,
> you get to a point at some time in which the kullens are exposed and the
> blade takes on a wavy appearance when viewed edge on. At this point the
> blade will never cut like it did when it was new because a good portion of
> the blade can't be sharpened any longer. So the chef's knife will have a
> shorter life than a chef's knife without the kullens or, at some point,
> won't cut as well as one without them.
>
> The Santuko profile is fine and effective. It makes a perfectly good chef's
> knife. The kullens, on the other hand, actually represent a negative,
> unless you use the chef's knife as a slicer. Wusthof does make the same
> knife without kullens and I recommend you buy that instead. It will last
> longer and handle occasional slicing duties just about as well as the kullen
> equipped model. However, everybody wants the kullens because Rachel Ray
> uses such a knife on TV. Marketing trumps performance. Hope this helps
> you understand the knife a little better.
>
> Fred
> Knife Outlet
> http://www.knifeoutlet.com

I have sharpened a fair number of slicers with kullens that were worn
until the kullens were exposed at the edge, and I have not experienced
the problem that Fred describes. I use a wide (2") stone, so the edge
remains straight across the kullens. It is important to remove the
correct amount of metal from each side so the kullens do not make swales
in the edge. The steel in the kullens become sharp but thinner portions
of the edge, somewhat like serrations.

Remember that a santoku knife is not primarily a chefs knife, but a
three purpose knife (san = three, toku = uses) for meat, fish and
vegetables. It is a compromise and not the best for any one of the
uses. I prefer seperate chefs and slicing knives.

Steve
--
Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged
Tools by Steve Bottorff Copyright January 2002 Knife World Publications

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:39:57 GMT, Colin > wrote:

>Sad to say, but getting a new handle is probably more expensive than a a
>new knife.
>
>I prefer carbon steel blades myself. They are sharper and easier to
>sharpen.
>
>Consider getting a new carbon steel french knife. Look at
>www.cutlery.com or www.cutleryandmore.com for a good selection. The
>first store has a wider range of pieces, but higher prices.

What about the Global Japanese knives?
http://global.japanese-knives.net/

Kent H.

Steve B wrote:

> Fred wrote:
>

> > Here's a good place to help explain this. The purpose of the kullens (the
> > little hollows) on the blade is to reduce the tendency of food to stick to
> > the blade. This is a useful feature on knives that are used for slicing.
> > But the Chef's knife is not intended to be a slicer (although it will slice)
> > but rather a chopper, dicer and mincer. So the kullens don't really help
> > much in this knife like they would with a slicer. So there is really
> > nothing to gain with them in a wide bladed chef knife designed for chopping
> > dicing and mincing.
> >
> > But there is something to lose. As you wear away steel sharpening the edge,
> > you get to a point at some time in which the kullens are exposed and the
> > blade takes on a wavy appearance when viewed edge on. At this point the
> > blade will never cut like it did when it was new because a good portion of
> > the blade can't be sharpened any longer. So the chef's knife will have a
> > shorter life than a chef's knife without the kullens or, at some point,
> > won't cut as well as one without them.
> >
> > The Santuko profile is fine and effective. It makes a perfectly good chef's
> > knife. The kullens, on the other hand, actually represent a negative,
> > unless you use the chef's knife as a slicer. Wusthof does make the same
> > knife without kullens and I recommend you buy that instead. It will last
> > longer and handle occasional slicing duties just about as well as the kullen
> > equipped model. However, everybody wants the kullens because Rachel Ray
> > uses such a knife on TV. Marketing trumps performance. Hope this helps
> > you understand the knife a little better.
> >
> > Fred
> > Knife Outlet
> > http://www.knifeoutlet.com
> >

> I have sharpened a fair number of slicers with kullens that were worn
> until the kullens were exposed at the edge, and I have not experienced
> the problem that Fred describes. I use a wide (2") stone, so the edge
> remains straight across the kullens. It is important to remove the
> correct amount of metal from each side so the kullens do not make swales

What's a swale??

> in the edge. The steel in the kullens become sharp but thinner portions
> of the edge, somewhat like serrations.
>
> Remember that a santoku knife is not primarily a chefs knife, but a
> three purpose knife (san = three, toku = uses) for meat, fish and
> vegetables. It is a compromise and not the best for any one of the
> uses. I prefer seperate chefs and slicing knives.
>
> Steve
> --
> Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged
> Tools by Steve Bottorff Copyright January 2002 Knife World Publications
> www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com
> E-mail: steve AT sharpeningmadeeasy DOT com

Dee Randall

"Colin" > wrote in message
> Sad to say, but getting a new handle is probably more expensive than a a
> new knife.
>
> I prefer carbon steel blades myself. They are sharper and easier to
> sharpen.
>
> Consider getting a new carbon steel french knife. Look at
> www.cutlery.com or www.cutleryandmore.com for a good selection. The
> first store has a wider range of pieces, but higher prices.
>
> I have dealt with both companies and had no problems..
>
> Colin

> >>I would not buy a new one except my wooden handle is finally after 30

years
> >>splitting from moisture.

> > You might consider looking for someone who can craft a new handle for
> > your knife. The steel sounds like it's in good shape, and handles can
> > be replaced.

Thank you for your suggestioon. I didn't know that Sabatier made carbon
steel knives.
I've had my Japanese knife (but it is not shaped at all like the french
knife) for 30 years and never have sharpened it. I have mostly
Wusthof-Trident knives and my husband keeps them sharpened, but I have never
had a knife as sharp as my Japanese carbon steel knife -- the one with the
split handle after 30 years. Since I use it daily and I won't live another
30 years, I think I'll search it out again. I bought it in "Japan Town" San
Francisco. The woman who sold it to me gave me gentle instructions about
the knife handle, telling me not to catch my hand on it and how to always
lay it to dry so moisture wouldn't go into the handle.

Thanks everyone for the information regarding the "Rachel Ray" Wufthof
knife. She's such a good little chopper, that I thought it would be worth
inquring about.

You've helped me make my decision.
Dee

Dee Randall

Here is a picture of the knife that I am trying to replace and I was
wondering if the "Rachel Ray" knife would be a replacement. But I think
I'll try to replace it with one like this, because it has worked so well for
me.

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com...aneseknife.htm

I also have a much larger chopping knife (as well as my husband's mid-sized
chopping knife) of this style, but it is very unwieldy and both are made
of carbon stainless which surely is not as sharp as just carbon steel.

Thanks for viewing.
Dee

David Sutter

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:26:08 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:

>Here is a picture of the knife that I am trying to replace and I was
>wondering if the "Rachel Ray" knife would be a replacement. But I think
>I'll try to replace it with one like this, because it has worked so well for
>me.
>
>http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com...aneseknife.htm
>
>I also have a much larger chopping knife (as well as my husband's mid-sized
>chopping knife) of this style, but it is very unwieldy and both are made
>of carbon stainless which surely is not as sharp as just carbon steel.
>
>Thanks for viewing.
>Dee

try cookswares.com MAC 6.5" Japanese Vegetable Knife Item #4369

I have no connection with them - I have bought 3 so far - 2 as
extremely well appreciated gifts
Steve B

Kent H. wrote:

> What's a swale??

A low spot, usually said of land, i.e. a damp area or one where water
flows. I may have misused it.

Steve
--
Sharpening Made Easy: A Primer on Sharpening Knives and Other Edged
Tools by Steve Bottorff Copyright January 2002 Knife World Publications
www.sharpeningmadeeasy.com
E-mail: steve AT sharpeningmadeeasy DOT com

Joe Duffy

In article > ,
Fred > wrote:

>The Santuko profile is fine and effective. It makes a perfectly good chef's
>knife. The kullens, on the other hand, actually represent a negative,
>unless you use the chef's knife as a slicer. Wusthof does make the same
>knife without kullens and I recommend you buy that instead. It will last
>longer and handle occasional slicing duties just about as well as the kullen
>equipped model. However, everybody wants the kullens because Rachel Ray
>uses such a knife on TV. Marketing trumps performance. Hope this helps
>you understand the knife a little better.

Wow, great info Fred!
Thanks for saving me $80, since my
wife is enthralled whenever she sees
Rachel Ray wield that thing(however clumsily)!

Joe

Blanche Nonken

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:

> That's good advice; however, since I'm not too trusting when it comes to
> knife safety so I'm going to search for a new carbon-steel (no stainless for
> me) knife in an asian shoppe. I know there are many skilled people, but I
> just couldn't trust it; it would always be in the back of my mind, "When's
> that thing going to go flyin' off?"

OK, how much do you want for the knife? :-) I'm half tempted to try it
as a project...MUST NOT START MORE PROJECTS...MUST THROW THINGS AWAY AND
PREPARE FOR MOVING...

who said that?

Oh, never mind. I do understand your concerns. :-) And your
preference for carbon steel.
Karen

"Dee Randall" <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote in message >...

> > There is that - but if I had a knife that was perfect *for me* (I have
> > smallish hands) and the only thing wrong was the scales, I'd talk to a
> > local woodworker about what I could get. It shouldn't cost a huge
> > amount for someone with the tools and the hardwood or micarta scraps
> > lying around. Band saw, belt sander, some hand-sanding the person could
> > do themself if they wanted to give it a personal touch.

> That's good advice; however, since I'm not too trusting when it comes to
> knife safety so I'm going to search for a new carbon-steel (no stainless for
> me) knife in an asian shoppe. I know there are many skilled people, but I
> just couldn't trust it; it would always be in the back of my mind, "When's
> that thing going to go flyin' off?"
>
> Thanks everyone for your input on the Wusthof knife everyone. I really
> appreciate it. Yeah, I'm like the wife of one of the respondent's,
> everything that Rachel does is AOK with me and I always want what she's
> using -- especially that yellow stove with that broiler! Where'd she get
> that?
>
> Dee

It's a Chambers gas stove from the late 40's or early 50's. Don't
know where they got the one on her show but, there are many companies
that deal in vintage stoves. Here are the three websites I like the
most:

www.antiqueappliances.com
www.antiquegasstoves.com
www.vintagestoves.com

Also, you can almost always find Chambers stoves on eBay. Hope that
helps.

Karen B. - thevintagegirl

Dee Randall

om...

www.antiqueappliances.com
> www.antiquegasstoves.com
> www.vintagestoves.com
>
> Also, you can almost always find Chambers stoves on eBay. Hope that
> helps.
>
> Karen B. - thevintagegirl

Thanks for the information and url's on the Chambers stove that Rachel Ray
uses. It's been on my mind.
Dee

Karen

www.antiqueappliances.com
> > www.antiquegasstoves.com
> > www.vintagestoves.com
> >
> > Also, you can almost always find Chambers stoves on eBay. Hope that
> > helps.
> >
> > Karen B. - thevintagegirl

> Thanks for the information and url's on the Chambers stove that Rachel Ray
> uses. It's been on my mind.
> Dee

Sorry it took me so long to say.... You're welcome! Glad to be of assistance.

Karen B. - thevintagegirl