FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   Source of coarse salt for salt mill (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/7691-source-coarse-salt-salt.html)

Mark 03-01-2004 11:10 PM

Source of coarse salt for salt mill

I received a nifty salt mill from Santa but I can't seem to find any
coarse salt to go in it. Right now I have Kosher salt in it but the
grains are just not quite big enough and leak out of the mill. Where
is a good place to get regular old salt, not the gourmet (expensive)
stuff.

Edwin Pawlowski 04-01-2004 03:22 AM

Source of coarse salt for salt mill

"Mark" > wrote in message
om...
> I received a nifty salt mill from Santa but I can't seem to find any
> coarse salt to go in it. Right now I have Kosher salt in it but the
> grains are just not quite big enough and leak out of the mill. Where
> is a good place to get regular old salt, not the gourmet (expensive)
> stuff.

Some supermarkets carry coarse sea salt. The price can vary from about a
buck at the local grocery to $20 at some fancy goor-met shop.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Arwen 04-01-2004 04:02 AM

On 3 Jan 2004 15:10:19 -0800, (Mark) wrote:

>I received a nifty salt mill from Santa but I can't seem to find any
>coarse salt to go in it. Right now I have Kosher salt in it but the
>grains are just not quite big enough and leak out of the mill. Where
>is a good place to get regular old salt, not the gourmet (expensive)
>stuff.

Well, the name on the stuff I have here includes the word
'gourmet'--sorry! It's not really super-fancy, though, and it works
fine in a salt mill. "Olde Thompson Gourmet Sea Salt Crystals." It's a
20 oz. bottle, purchased at Bed Bath & Beyond for 6.99.

-Arwen

Viviane 04-01-2004 10:18 AM

Source of coarse salt for salt mill

We get ours from the supermarket (in Sydney Australia).

om...

Kate Dicey 04-01-2004 02:32 PM

Viviane wrote:

> We get ours from the supermarket (in Sydney Australia).
>
> "Mark" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I received a nifty salt mill from Santa but I can't seem to find any
> > coarse salt to go in it. Right now I have Kosher salt in it but the
> > grains are just not quite big enough and leak out of the mill. Where
> > is a good place to get regular old salt, not the gourmet (expensive)
> > stuff.

Comes in tubs marked 'Malden Sea Salt' here in the UK - every
supermarket has something like this.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Steve Calvin 05-01-2004 01:48 PM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Mark" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>>I received a nifty salt mill from Santa but I can't seem to find any
>>coarse salt to go in it. Right now I have Kosher salt in it but the
>>grains are just not quite big enough and leak out of the mill. Where
>>is a good place to get regular old salt, not the gourmet (expensive)
>>stuff.

> Some supermarkets carry coarse sea salt. The price can vary from about a
> buck at the local grocery to $20 at some fancy goor-met shop.
> Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Yup, that's what I use. Good old coarse sea salt from the local
stupidmarket.

Dsorgnzd 06-01-2004 10:44 PM

Source of coarse salt for salt mill

"Mark" > wrote in message
om...
> I received a nifty salt mill from Santa but I can't seem to find any
> coarse salt to go in it. Right now I have Kosher salt in it but the
> grains are just not quite big enough and leak out of the mill. Where
> is a good place to get regular old salt, not the gourmet (expensive)
> stuff.

Atlantic Spice Company http://www.atlanticspice.com/ has " extra coarse sea
salt" for 95 cents per pound.
Their minimum order is $30, so you'd have to buy a few other things to go
with it.

Jon Endres, PE 19-01-2004 11:39 PM

Source of coarse salt for salt mill

www.penzeys.com

Won't buy spices or seasonings anywhere else.

No affiliation, etc, just a really happy customer.

Jon E

om...