FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   Tilia foodsaver does not suck good (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/7659-tilia-foodsaver-does-not.html)

zak 23-12-2003 05:40 PM

Tilia foodsaver does not suck good

I have tilia vacuum sealer. It does not seem to suck out all the air.
Called Tilia and they want $50 to send it in for repair or replacement
(they decide). It is out of warranty. Is there anything I can do to get
it to suck out the air better? I have the compact model.

TIA

Vox Humana 23-12-2003 07:16 PM

"zak" > wrote in message
> I have tilia vacuum sealer. It does not seem to suck out all the air.
> Called Tilia and they want $50 to send it in for repair or replacement
> (they decide). It is out of warranty. Is there anything I can do to get
> it to suck out the air better? I have the compact model.

Are you using Tilia brand bags? Was the onset of the problem sudden or
gradual?

zak 24-12-2003 01:18 AM

Vox Humana wrote:
> "zak" > wrote in message
>
>>I have tilia vacuum sealer. It does not seem to suck out all the air.
>>Called Tilia and they want $50 to send it in for repair or replacement
>>(they decide). It is out of warranty. Is there anything I can do to get
>>it to suck out the air better? I have the compact model.

> Are you using Tilia brand bags? Was the onset of the problem sudden or
> gradual?

Yes am using tilia brand bags. Have not used it much. Bought it used a
about a year ago. I am wondering if there is a way to get it to draw out
more air. Thanks.

Don Wiss 24-12-2003 02:00 AM

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 16:40:43 GMT, zak > wrote:

>I have tilia vacuum sealer. It does not seem to suck out all the air.
>Called Tilia and they want $50 to send it in for repair or replacement
>(they decide). It is out of warranty. Is there anything I can do to get
>it to suck out the air better? I have the compact model.

Are you wrapping dry or wet foods?

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Edwin Pawlowski 24-12-2003 02:24 AM

"zak" > wrote in message
> I have tilia vacuum sealer. It does not seem to suck out all the air.
> Called Tilia and they want $50 to send it in for repair or replacement
> (they decide). It is out of warranty. Is there anything I can do to get
> it to suck out the air better? I have the compact model.
>
> TIA

Inside the case is a soft rubber oval ring that holds the bag. Be sure it is
clean and no gobs of dried stuff are on it preventing a good seal. If air
get past it, the sealer will not draw down the bag. Be sure it is in place
properly also.

Next to check is the bags. If there is a slight leak in the bag, it may
draw down some, but not all the way. Can I assume you've tried a couple of
different bags? I've not run into it, but I did hear of at least one person
that had a defective roll and the factory seal was leaking.

If you want to check the bags, place the already sealed side on the heating
bar and give it a seal on three sides. This should make a double seal in
case of a leaker. Then put something in the bag and see if it sucks it down
properly. If yes, it is probably the bags. If no, it is probably the
machine.

Next step is to open the machine and play with the pump, but I don't know
what, if anything, you could repair. At that point, invest the $50 for a
new one they will probably send you.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

zak 24-12-2003 04:49 AM

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "zak" > wrote in message
>
>>I have tilia vacuum sealer. It does not seem to suck out all the air.
>>Called Tilia and they want $50 to send it in for repair or replacement
>>(they decide). It is out of warranty. Is there anything I can do to get
>>it to suck out the air better? I have the compact model.
>>
>>TIA

> Inside the case is a soft rubber oval ring that holds the bag. Be sure it is
> clean and no gobs of dried stuff are on it preventing a good seal. If air
> get past it, the sealer will not draw down the bag. Be sure it is in place
> properly also.
>
> Next to check is the bags. If there is a slight leak in the bag, it may
> draw down some, but not all the way. Can I assume you've tried a couple of
> different bags? I've not run into it, but I did hear of at least one person
> that had a defective roll and the factory seal was leaking.
>
> If you want to check the bags, place the already sealed side on the heating
> bar and give it a seal on three sides. This should make a double seal in
> case of a leaker. Then put something in the bag and see if it sucks it down
> properly. If yes, it is probably the bags. If no, it is probably the
> machine.
>
> Next step is to open the machine and play with the pump, but I don't know
> what, if anything, you could repair. At that point, invest the $50 for a
> new one they will probably send you.

I kinda figured that is what I would have to do. Tilia will send me a
machine only for $50. I can get the 550 model with accessories for $90
at a local discounter.

Was hoping someone had a similiar problem and found and easy fix. When I
called Tilia, they had me hold down the ON button and it would not stop
running, unless I released the button.

I do notice a slight ridge on the heating element, so I will try a very
small bag so that the edge does not rest on this ridge and see what
happens.

Thanks for your tips.

Lisa 29-12-2003 09:07 PM

"zak" > wrote in message
> I have tilia vacuum sealer. It does not seem to suck out all the air.
> Called Tilia and they want $50 to send it in for repair or replacement
> (they decide). It is out of warranty. Is there anything I can do to get
> it to suck out the air better? I have the compact model.
>
> TIA

I had a problem with my old one several years ago not sucking well. My
hubby opened it up, removed the tubing, cleaned out the tubing and put it
back in. It worked like new again. It was easy and didn't take long at
all. This was on a professional model that I bought about 18 years ago so I
don't know if this will work on the newer models.

Lisa

Bob Sisson 30-12-2003 06:10 PM

Tilia foodsaver does not suck good

I had the same problem after some liquid got into the system.

Never got a good suck going....

I let it suck some good fine oil (just a few drops) and it seems MUCH
happier.

Bob

zak 30-12-2003 08:34 PM

Bob Sisson wrote:

> I had the same problem after some liquid got into the system.
>
> Never got a good suck going....
>
> I let it suck some good fine oil (just a few drops) and it seems MUCH
> happier.

Regular household oil like 3 in 1? Where would I place the drops?

Thank you. I ordered a new one. But if I can salvage this one, maybe I
can sell it to a friend for $25 or so.

Kim Grauballe 30-12-2003 08:55 PM

Tilia foodsaver does not suck good

Foodsavers suck, period. You don't get value for your money whicheverway you
look at it.
Look mat the outlay for the machine, and the continuing cost of the right
bags.
If you use ordinary freezer bags, suck them out by mouth, or for larger
numbers by vacuumcleaner, twist them while keeping the suction, and tie a
not afterwards it works quite as well as a machine
Kim.

Steve Calvin 30-12-2003 10:38 PM

Kim Grauballe wrote:

> Foodsavers suck, period. You don't get value for your money whicheverway you
> look at it.
> Look mat the outlay for the machine, and the continuing cost of the right
> bags.
> If you use ordinary freezer bags, suck them out by mouth, or for larger
> numbers by vacuumcleaner, twist them while keeping the suction, and tie a
> not afterwards it works quite as well as a machine
> Kim.

Not by my experience. The ordinary freezer bags are somewhat porous
and over the course of time some air will migrate into the bag. I
have a Tilia and have had it for about 3 years. It's saved up over the
cost if the unit and bags because we've not thrown anything out for
being freezer burned since we started using it. Plus there are many
other uses over and above using it for freezing things.

--
Steve

Edwin Pawlowski 31-12-2003 04:37 AM

Tilia foodsaver does not suck good

--

"Kim Grauballe" >
> If you use ordinary freezer bags, suck them out by mouth, or for larger
> numbers by vacuumcleaner, twist them while keeping the suction, and tie a
> not afterwards it works quite as well as a machine
> Kim.

Really???? Look at the figures on this chart:
http://www.pump-n-seal.com/vacuumtest.htm

Item # Product/Company Name Vacuum Generated
in inches of Hg
1 Pump-N-SealŪ (Hand Pump) by Pioneering Concepts 28.9
2 FoodSaver Compact by Tila 24.2
3 Kirby Vacuum Cleaner Model Heritage II 2.50
4 Vac-u-Pac Model 465W by Hamilton Beach 0.639
5 Pak'n Save Model 838 by Decosonic 0.382
6 Deni Freshlock TurboSeal Model 1630 by Keystone 0.448

If you think you can suck that good, you better start practicing.

Bruce 31-12-2003 03:30 PM

Tilia foodsaver does not suck good

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 03:37:10 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>--
>
>"Kim Grauballe" >
>> If you use ordinary freezer bags, suck them out by mouth, or for larger
>> numbers by vacuumcleaner, twist them while keeping the suction, and tie a
>> not afterwards it works quite as well as a machine
>> Kim.

>Really???? Look at the figures on this chart:
>http://www.pump-n-seal.com/vacuumtest.htm
>
> Item # Product/Company Name Vacuum Generated
> in inches of Hg
> 1 Pump-N-SealŪ (Hand Pump) by Pioneering Concepts 28.9
> 2 FoodSaver Compact by Tila 24.2
> 3 Kirby Vacuum Cleaner Model Heritage II 2.50
> 4 Vac-u-Pac Model 465W by Hamilton Beach 0.639
> 5 Pak'n Save Model 838 by Decosonic 0.382
> 6 Deni Freshlock TurboSeal Model 1630 by Keystone 0.448
>

>If you think you can suck that good, you better start practicing.

<SNIP>

Insert suggestive comment he

Bruce

Kim Grauballe 02-01-2004 11:12 AM

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 03:37:10 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
> >snip<
> >If you think you can suck that good, you better start practicing.

I stand corrected, although it seems to work for my needs.

> <SNIP>
>
> Insert suggestive comment he

Please don't, not on a nice family NG.

[email protected] 02-01-2004 04:37 PM

Tilia foodsaver does not suck good

Pump N Seal sounds the best according to it's website that you posted.
Why doesn't anyone have that I wonder. Maybe it's just not as
convienient as the Foodsaver? I bought my Dad a Foodsaver 2 years ago
and he likes it very much.

I just received a "Rival Seal a Meal vs110" for Christmas from my
girlfriend. She's not knowledgeable about foodsavers, in other words
she knew I talk about my Dad's all the time but I don't think she knew I
really wanted a Tilia Foodsaver.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows if what I got for Christmas is as
good as the Foodsaver or should I try to tell her as nicely as possible
that I'd like to have her return it and I'll pay the extra for a
Foodsaver like the 800 series. According to the Rival website the one
she bought me sells for around $80.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

Bob Sisson 02-01-2004 05:20 PM

Tilia foodsaver does not suck good

A few comments if I may...

The Foodsaver does a good job sucking, AND SEALING.

The bags, althoug expensive, have an ridge internal pattern that allows the
bags to suck out the corners where a normal "smooth" bag would just colapse
and seal its self as soon as the near edge was done.

As for adding a drop of oil to allow the pump to recover, I would use the
finest FOOD GRADE oil I had. I used a drop of grape seed oil. The pump can
get HOT, and is trying to pull a vacume, so yuou need something with a high
smoke (read get gummy) point. Ideally you would use compressor oil, but I
keep my shop oils away from anything food related.

Just my $.02

Bob

cowboy 03-01-2004 12:15 AM

Tilia foodsaver does not suck good

Not exactly on topic...but what's the advantage to one of these
contraptions...as opposed to tupperware? What do yall do with them....?

m...

Steve Calvin 03-01-2004 01:42 AM

cowboy wrote:

> Not exactly on topic...but what's the advantage to one of these
> contraptions...as opposed to tupperware? What do yall do with them....?

They are used for freezing food of all kinds in an air free
environment under a vaccum seal to protect against freezer burn and
lengthen the acceptable storage time.
(mainly)
--
Steve

Edwin Pawlowski 03-01-2004 05:00 AM

"cowboy" > wrote in message
> Not exactly on topic...but what's the advantage to one of these
> contraptions...as opposed to tupperware? What do yall do with them....?

Tupperware and the like are good containers for short term freezing of some
items, but over time, they dehydrate and the products get freezer burn. The
Foodsaver removes most of the air. Not only for freezing, but to keep
products longer in the refrigerator. A hunk of cheese that would be moldy
in two weeks in the fridge will keep for months if vacuum sealed. Jars can
be vacuum sealed also.

Brown sugar get hard? My wife keeps some in a small Tupperware container,
but the rest is vacuum sealed and stays free flowing.

Edwin Pawlowski 03-01-2004 05:02 AM

Tilia foodsaver does not suck good

> wrote in message
> Pump N Seal sounds the best according to it's website that you posted.
> Why doesn't anyone have that I wonder. Maybe it's just not as
> convienient as the Foodsaver?

I've not tried one, but people that have done so say they are very difficult
to seal unless you have three arms. Using standard bags, they are cheaper,
but not as heavy and are prone to get nicks and leak.

[email protected] 03-01-2004 01:31 PM

Tilia foodsaver does not suck good

Thanks for the response Ed!