Kent H.

Default Gas v. Electric; kicking an old subject

I now this is an old subject kicked around a lot; a search on Google
Groups didn't tell me what I want to know.
We have used a GE electric oil cooktop for 30+ years, and have always
assumed we could upgrade to a DCS or Dacor or Thermador gas cooktop when
the time came to "redo" the kitchen.
The Questions IS:
Are gas cooktops as slow to heat, partuliarly pasta water or stock, as
is suggested, compared to the old fashion electric coil cooktop?
Is simmering as difficult to control. Is the Thermador off/on cooktop
worth the extra $$$.
Are they dirty and filthy and smelly?
All answers from those who have addressed the same would be appreciated.
Thanks
Kent
Kate Dicey

"Kent H." wrote:

> I now this is an old subject kicked around a lot; a search on Google
> Groups didn't tell me what I want to know.
> We have used a GE electric oil cooktop for 30+ years, and have always
> assumed we could upgrade to a DCS or Dacor or Thermador gas cooktop when
> the time came to "redo" the kitchen.
> The Questions IS:
> Are gas cooktops as slow to heat, partuliarly pasta water or stock, as
> is suggested, compared to the old fashion electric coil cooktop?
> Is simmering as difficult to control. Is the Thermador off/on cooktop
> worth the extra $$$.
> Are they dirty and filthy and smelly?
> All answers from those who have addressed the same would be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Kent

I have gas and really like it. Heats stuff really quite quickly, and is
easy to keep clean (my hob is stainless steel - you can catch glimpses
of it on my web site cooking pages). VERY easy to control. NO smell -
unless you manage to turn on the gas without lighting it! As with all
gas appliances, it does make water vapour, so it's best to use an
outside venting cooker hood to avoid steamed up windows!

I like it a lot better than conventional electric hobs. When this one
wears out, if we no longer suffer from frequent power cuts, I shall
seriously think about an induction hob. However, as this is only a year
old, that won't be for some time.

I like flames under my pots (looks good!) and I like to use a wok: can't
do that on an electric hob!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
zippoman

My wife and I have been looking into redoing our kitchen and of course that
entails investigating ranges, etc.

My first comment is that with the Thermador on/off burner is that it makes
ignition noise each time it comes on. I would prefer the Wolf, the low heat
burner uses 2 sizes of jets, one very small for simmer and bigger for
regular cooking. Second the grill is very easy to clean, only a couple of
pieces.

Up until a few years ago I used electric and heard all the reasons to go to
gas. I am still not convinced one is much better than the other. The
argument I used to hear for gas was that when you turned off the gas things
quit heating and cooking. Ha! the metal grids that the pans sit on on a
gas stove take a very long time to cool, much longer than an electric coil.

That being said I agree that the ascetics of cooking with gas is nicer.

We have a showroom here in Albuquerque that has all the big names hooked up
so you can actually see them on operation. I was very confused over the
difference in one brand or another so I asked the slaeman and he spent about
a half an hour taking us from one brand to another highlighting the pluses
and minuses of each.

"Kent H." > wrote in message
> I now this is an old subject kicked around a lot; a search on Google
> Groups didn't tell me what I want to know.
> We have used a GE electric oil cooktop for 30+ years, and have always
> assumed we could upgrade to a DCS or Dacor or Thermador gas cooktop when
> the time came to "redo" the kitchen.
> The Questions IS:
> Are gas cooktops as slow to heat, partuliarly pasta water or stock, as
> is suggested, compared to the old fashion electric coil cooktop?
> Is simmering as difficult to control. Is the Thermador off/on cooktop
> worth the extra $$$.
> Are they dirty and filthy and smelly?
> All answers from those who have addressed the same would be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Kent

Peter Aitken

"zippoman" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> My wife and I have been looking into redoing our kitchen and of course

that
> entails investigating ranges, etc.
>
> My first comment is that with the Thermador on/off burner is that it makes
> ignition noise each time it comes on. I would prefer the Wolf, the low

heat
> burner uses 2 sizes of jets, one very small for simmer and bigger for
> regular cooking. Second the grill is very easy to clean, only a couple

of
> pieces.
>
> Up until a few years ago I used electric and heard all the reasons to go

> gas. I am still not convinced one is much better than the other. The
> argument I used to hear for gas was that when you turned off the gas

things
> quit heating and cooking. Ha! the metal grids that the pans sit on on a
> gas stove take a very long time to cool, much longer than an electric

coil.

> That being said I agree that the ascetics of cooking with gas is nicer.
>
> We have a showroom here in Albuquerque that has all the big names hooked

up
> so you can actually see them on operation. I was very confused over the
> difference in one brand or another so I asked the slaeman and he spent

about
> a half an hour taking us from one brand to another highlighting the pluses
> and minuses of each.

I have a gas/electric comparison on my kitchen myths page at
http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm . Maybe it will be of some help to
you.

Peter G. Aitken

Steve Calvin

Peter Aitken wrote:

> I have a gas/electric comparison on my kitchen myths page at
> http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm . Maybe it will be of some help to
> you.
>
> Peter G. Aitken

Peter,

That's a pretty good page! I'd add one more thing to your gas vs
electric Evaluation section. We just took out a high end Maytag
natural gas unit (which we also put in btw) and put in a new flattop
electric model. Two other pluses come to mind having just used them
both recently. The Maytag gas unit was one ROYAL P.I.T.A. to clean the
top. The GE Flattop electric is a breeze to clean.

Plus when I was using the gas oven for a roast, turkey, whatever it
threw some serious heat into the kitchen and house. The electric unit
doesn't do it enough to even be noticable in the kitchen. Electric
items, be they appliances or even a home are insulated significantly
more than gas.

--
Steve

Edwin Pawlowski

"Kent H." > wrote in message

> Are gas cooktops as slow to heat, partuliarly pasta water or stock, as
> is suggested, compared to the old fashion electric coil cooktop?

If you compare the old coil electric with the standard 8,000 Btu burner,
yes, there is a difference, but comparing an electric to the high ouput is a
whole different situation. Use 1500 watts = 5200 Btu and compare it to the
high output burners for a better comparison. Electric is a bit more
efficient as the h eat is not going up the side of the pot.

> Are they dirty and filthy and smelly?

Natural gas is one of the cleanest burning fuels. I've never had an odor or
smoke..

Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

Peter Aitken

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
s.com...
> Peter Aitken wrote:
> >

> > I have a gas/electric comparison on my kitchen myths page at
> > http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm . Maybe it will be of some help

> > you.
> >
> > Peter G. Aitken
> >

> Peter,
>
> That's a pretty good page! I'd add one more thing to your gas vs
> electric Evaluation section. We just took out a high end Maytag
> natural gas unit (which we also put in btw) and put in a new flattop
> electric model. Two other pluses come to mind having just used them
> both recently. The Maytag gas unit was one ROYAL P.I.T.A. to clean the
> top. The GE Flattop electric is a breeze to clean.
>
> Plus when I was using the gas oven for a roast, turkey, whatever it
> threw some serious heat into the kitchen and house. The electric unit
> doesn't do it enough to even be noticable in the kitchen. Electric
> items, be they appliances or even a home are insulated significantly
> more than gas.

Thanks, Steve - I'll add these two items.

Peter G. Aitken

Greg Muncill

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:27:40 GMT, Steve Calvin >
wrote:

<snip>
>Plus when I was using the gas oven for a roast, turkey, whatever it
>threw some serious heat into the kitchen and house. The electric unit
>doesn't do it enough to even be noticable in the kitchen. Electric
>items, be they appliances or even a home are insulated significantly
>more than gas.

It's not just insulation. The gas ovens require more venting
to get the air in for combustion, which results in more hot
air coming out the oven vents. Electric ovens don't involve
burning oxygen so you don't need the same air throughput.

As far as electric homes being more insulated, I take it
you mean as far as venting air out. Well, I just replaced
my old gas furnace with a 94% efficiency gas furnace and
that 6% is all that is lost. The furnace includes BOTH
intake and outlet from the outside through PCV pipe -
that is how little heat is lost. At current prices I will take
my high efficiency gas furnace over electricity anytime.

My next remodel will be from a gas stove to a gas
cooktop/rangetop with electric wall ovens.

Greg Muncill

Steve Calvin

Greg Muncill wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 20:27:40 GMT, Steve Calvin >
> wrote:
>

> <snip>
>
>>Plus when I was using the gas oven for a roast, turkey, whatever it
>>threw some serious heat into the kitchen and house. The electric unit
>>doesn't do it enough to even be noticable in the kitchen. Electric
>>items, be they appliances or even a home are insulated significantly
>>more than gas.

> It's not just insulation. The gas ovens require more venting
> to get the air in for combustion, which results in more hot
> air coming out the oven vents. Electric ovens don't involve
> burning oxygen so you don't need the same air throughput.
>
> As far as electric homes being more insulated, I take it
> you mean as far as venting air out. Well, I just replaced
> my old gas furnace with a 94% efficiency gas furnace and
> that 6% is all that is lost. The furnace includes BOTH
> intake and outlet from the outside through PCV pipe -
> that is how little heat is lost. At current prices I will take
> my high efficiency gas furnace over electricity anytime.
>
> My next remodel will be from a gas stove to a gas
> cooktop/rangetop with electric wall ovens.
>
> Greg Muncill

Good point. I never said that I'd wanna heat an electric house only
that it's better insulated. ;-)

I'll take my natural gas furnace anyday.

As for the gas top, to each their own. Had 'em both and I prefer the
new flat top electrics personally. Everyone has different things
that they're after which is why they still sell 'em both I s'pose.

--
Steve

Greg Muncill

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:57:58 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

<snip>

>I have a gas/electric comparison on my kitchen myths page at
>http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm . Maybe it will be of some help to
>you.

Very objective comparison of gas versus electric. I do a lot
of wok cooking so I prefer gas. I also like the fast response.
I would certainly agree that electric is best for some cooking
styles and can't understand anyone dismissing either
appliance type out of hand.

Greg Muncill

Michael Harp

A good cook can prepare a good meal on just about anything...

--
Michael Harp
http://CopperPans.com

On 12/16/03 5:29 PM, in article ,
"Greg Muncill" > wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:57:58 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> > wrote:
>
> <snip>
>>
>> I have a gas/electric comparison on my kitchen myths page at

http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm . Maybe it will be of some help to
>> you.
>>

> Very objective comparison of gas versus electric. I do a lot
> of wok cooking so I prefer gas. I also like the fast response.
> I would certainly agree that electric is best for some cooking
> styles and can't understand anyone dismissing either
> appliance type out of hand.
>
> Greg Muncill

Steve Calvin

Michael Harp wrote:

> A good cook can prepare a good meal on just about anything...

I wholeheartedly agree. That's why when Nancy said that cleaning the
gas stove was a giant pita I just said, "fine, we'll switch".

I cook and she cleans up. Although I clean up as I go except sometimes
when I'm making things that come together at the last second. ;-)

--
Steve

Greg Muncill

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 23:01:14 GMT, Michael Harp >
wrote:

>A good cook can prepare a good meal on just about anything...

Then I guess I am not a good cook in your book Michael.
Tough. I've cooked on both electric coils and gas over the
last 30 some odd years and electric coils do nothing for me
with a round bottom wok. Tried it and it basically sucked.
Please enlighten me as to how I can get a good stir fry
over coils with my round bottom wok.

Greg Muncill

Peter Aitken

"Greg Muncill" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 23:01:14 GMT, Michael Harp >
> wrote:
>
> >A good cook can prepare a good meal on just about anything...

> Then I guess I am not a good cook in your book Michael.
> Tough. I've cooked on both electric coils and gas over the
> last 30 some odd years and electric coils do nothing for me
> with a round bottom wok. Tried it and it basically sucked.
> Please enlighten me as to how I can get a good stir fry
> over coils with my round bottom wok.
>
> Greg Muncill

Indeed, round bottomed woks do not work well on electric stoves. Answer: get
a flat bottomed wok. You cannot blame your stove if you use the wrong tools
with it. Part of being a good cook is knowing the right tool for the job.

--
Peter Aitken

Greg Muncill

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 01:06:05 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>Indeed, round bottomed woks do not work well on electric stoves. Answer: get
>a flat bottomed wok. You cannot blame your stove if you use the wrong tools
>with it. Part of being a good cook is knowing the right tool for the job.

Well, here we go again Peter. Let's start at the beginning. A
flat bottom wok will not cover all of the coils of the highest
power electric coil burner. You are wasting a portion of the
BTUs that you denigrate the gas burner for. You said it
yourself at your website. For wok cooking gas wins. Do
you want to change that statement on your website?

As you said, "Part of being a good cook is knowing the
right tool for the job". For me it is a multi-ring gas burner
for wok cooking. Why in heavens name should I choose
to go to electric coils and a flat bottom wok? Are you
saying this is the ideal solution to stir frying?

You have electric because of a choice you made.
I thought you were being objective in your tradeoffs
stated at your website. Please tell us whether you
stand by those statements or not Peter.

Greg Muncill

Peter Aitken

"Greg Muncill" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 01:06:05 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> > wrote:
>

> >Indeed, round bottomed woks do not work well on electric stoves. Answer:

get
> >a flat bottomed wok. You cannot blame your stove if you use the wrong

tools
> >with it. Part of being a good cook is knowing the right tool for the job.

> Well, here we go again Peter. Let's start at the beginning. A
> flat bottom wok will not cover all of the coils of the highest
> power electric coil burner. You are wasting a portion of the
> BTUs that you denigrate the gas burner for. You said it
> yourself at your website. For wok cooking gas wins. Do
> you want to change that statement on your website?
>
> As you said, "Part of being a good cook is knowing the
> right tool for the job". For me it is a multi-ring gas burner
> for wok cooking. Why in heavens name should I choose
> to go to electric coils and a flat bottom wok? Are you
> saying this is the ideal solution to stir frying?
>
> You have electric because of a choice you made.
> I thought you were being objective in your tradeoffs
> stated at your website. Please tell us whether you
> stand by those statements or not Peter.
>
> Greg Muncill

C'mon Greg don't be silly. Yes gas is best for wok cooking, but if you have
an electric stove then you must use a flat bottomed wok to get good results.
It's as simple as that and I never said anything else.

--
Peter Aitken

Greg Muncill

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 02:52:47 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

<snip>
>C'mon Greg don't be silly. Yes gas is best for wok cooking, but if you have
>an electric stove then you must use a flat bottomed wok to get good results.
>It's as simple as that and I never said anything else.

The original post that I was responding to was Michael Harp saying
that "A good cook can prepare a good meal on just about anything..."
My point would be that to get the BEST meal one chooses the
appropriate tools. I think this is more or less what you said in a
included electric ranges. I found that the stir frying was not of
good enough quality for me using either a round bottom wok or
a chef's pan with a flat bottom. That was my conclusion and
others may feel that it would be adequate. I concluded that I
was NOT getting good results from the electric stove. Am I
allowed my vote on that Peter? What I did was basically delve
into other cooking styles - mostly Italian - that were perfect for
the electric range that I had. Does that make me a less than
good cook?

Now when I bought a house I purposely made sure that it
had a gas range. Is it perfect for stir fry? Frankly it is still
underpowered for my needs. That is why I am going for
a cooktop with more burner ooomph and a concentrated
flame with a multiring burner in my remodel. Choose the
appropriate tools for what you want to accomplish.

Greg Muncill

Joe Duffy

In article >,
Greg Muncill > wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:57:58 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:
>
><snip>
>>
>>I have a gas/electric comparison on my kitchen myths page at
>>http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm . Maybe it will be of some help to
>>you.
>>

>Very objective comparison of gas versus electric. I do a lot
>of wok cooking so I prefer gas. I also like the fast response.
>I would certainly agree that electric is best for some cooking
>styles and can't understand anyone dismissing either
>appliance type out of hand.

Dual fuel for me.
Gas cooktop for response time.
Electric convection for even baking.

Joe

Peter Aitken

"Greg Muncill" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 02:52:47 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> > wrote:
>

> <snip>
> >C'mon Greg don't be silly. Yes gas is best for wok cooking, but if you

have
> >an electric stove then you must use a flat bottomed wok to get good

results.
> >It's as simple as that and I never said anything else.

> The original post that I was responding to was Michael Harp saying
> that "A good cook can prepare a good meal on just about anything..."
> My point would be that to get the BEST meal one chooses the
> appropriate tools.

Agreed - and when you want to stir fry on an electric stove, a flat bottom
wok is the best tool.

> I think this is more or less what you said in a
> included electric ranges. I found that the stir frying was not of
> good enough quality for me using either a round bottom wok or
> a chef's pan with a flat bottom. That was my conclusion and
> others may feel that it would be adequate. I concluded that I
> was NOT getting good results from the electric stove. Am I
> allowed my vote on that Peter? What I did was basically delve
> into other cooking styles - mostly Italian - that were perfect for
> the electric range that I had. Does that make me a less than
> good cook?

I don't know why you keep putting words in my mouth, Greg. I never impugned
your cooking skills. I repeat - all I said that with an electric stove you
should use a flat bottomed wok. If you want to pick an argument please find
someone else.

--
Peter Aitken

Greg Muncill

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 15:51:58 GMT, "Peter Aitken"
> wrote:

>I don't know why you keep putting words in my mouth, Greg. I never impugned
>your cooking skills. I repeat - all I said that with an electric stove you
>should use a flat bottomed wok. If you want to pick an argument please find
>someone else.

Peter. I'm not really after an argument. I tried a flat
bottom chef's pan - not too dissimilar from a flat bottom
wok. It didn't work to my satisfaction. Better than the
round bottom wok with the electric coils? Yes. As
good as my previous gas stove with the round bottom
wok? No. I put the stir frying on hold until I had a gas
cooktop and instead experimented with what worked
well with the electric coil range. You're right. A flat
bottom wok is better on the electric than a round
bottom. Still not to my liking for what I was used to
previously.

Greg Muncill

Kent H.

Default Glass flat panel electric or old fashion coil Was Gas v. Electric;kicking an old subject

Thanks very much everyone for your thoughts about gas v. electric, and
for the link to kitchen links. If we were to choose electric, it appears
today that most electrics are the flat glass panels. We don't like them,
for appearance, and for safety, because it would be easy to accidentally
touch the panel if nothing else. Does anyone have thoughts about these?
Does anyone know of a high brow coil electric, as existed in the old
days?
Thanks
Kent

"Kent H." wrote:

> I now this is an old subject kicked around a lot; a search on Google
> Groups didn't tell me what I want to know.
> We have used a GE electric oil cooktop for 30+ years, and have always
> assumed we could upgrade to a DCS or Dacor or Thermador gas cooktop when
> the time came to "redo" the kitchen.
> The Questions IS:
> Are gas cooktops as slow to heat, partuliarly pasta water or stock, as
> is suggested, compared to the old fashion electric coil cooktop?
> Is simmering as difficult to control. Is the Thermador off/on cooktop
> worth the extra $$$.
> Are they dirty and filthy and smelly?
> All answers from those who have addressed the same would be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Kent

Greg Muncill

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:30:14 GMT, Michael Harp >
wrote:
<snip>
> If all you have is a round bottom wok, may I suggest a nice copper
>sauceire for your stir frying? Is that wok the only piece of cookware you
>own? Do you only do stir fries? Try something else Greg...

As I have reported in other posts to this thread, I no longer use
electric coils. And I also reported trying other utensils in place of
the round bottom wok. It was not satisfactory to my particular
tastes. And you will note that I did try "something else" Michael.
I adapted to the coils and did other styles of cooking. When I
bought my first house several years ago I specifically went after
a gas range in the kitchen.

>I have and prefer gas for almost all things too. However, I've cranked out
>many good meals on electric coils at the in-laws and such, including stir
>fried meals...

Then you have some magical way to do the stir fry
that I did not discover with my experiments with electric
coil ranges. And as far as using a sauceire I find that
my round bottom wok on gas will work much more
satisfactorily for me. Just two months ago I tried a
recipe that I got out of one of my subscriptions that
had me use a saute pan. Definitely inferior quality
to my usual stir frying - and my wife was the first to
mention it. I might try the recipe again in the wok.

Greg Muncill
Kate Dicey

Greg Muncill wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 23:01:14 GMT, Michael Harp >
> wrote:
>
> >A good cook can prepare a good meal on just about anything...

> Then I guess I am not a good cook in your book Michael.
> Tough. I've cooked on both electric coils and gas over the
> last 30 some odd years and electric coils do nothing for me
> with a round bottom wok. Tried it and it basically sucked.
> Please enlighten me as to how I can get a good stir fry
> over coils with my round bottom wok.
>
> Greg Muncill

I am a good cook: I can produce a good meal on just about anything, BUT
I would not choose to try to cook a stir-fried meal with that
combination. I would choose to cook something else (such as steamed
fish or a nice venison stew) in other pans: you have to suit what you
choose to do to the equipment you have. For many years my wok stood
fallow, until my solid plate electric hob finally died of old age and I
replaced it with gas.

If you like a challenge, try cooking a Christmas dinner in a damp cow
field in August, for four people, on nothing but a 50 YO Primus stove
(single burner) and a small single burner Camping Gaz stove... You may
use a pressure cooker.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Steve Calvin

Kent H. wrote:

> Thanks very much everyone for your thoughts about gas v. electric, and
> for the link to kitchen links. If we were to choose electric, it appears
> today that most electrics are the flat glass panels. We don't like them,
> for appearance, and for safety, because it would be easy to accidentally
> touch the panel if nothing else. Does anyone have thoughts about these?
> Does anyone know of a high brow coil electric, as existed in the old
> days?
> Thanks
> Kent

I think that it's pretty much a personal preference kind of thing.
There are pluses and minuses to both flattop electric's and gas units.

I can cook on either. My "better half" prefers the flattop electric so
I can deal with it. I personally don't see what safety issues you
are talking about except possibly dropping something on it. As for
touching it, I've burnt myself many times trying to clean the gas
range too soon too. At least the new flattop has a light to try and
warn you that it's still a hot surface.

Bottom line, get what you want. They both work fine, they just require
different techniques.

--
Steve

Gini

"Kent H." > wrote in message
> Thanks very much everyone for your thoughts about gas v. electric, and
> for the link to kitchen links. If we were to choose electric, it appears
> today that most electrics are the flat glass panels. We don't like them,
> for appearance, and for safety, because it would be easy to accidentally
> touch the panel if nothing else. Does anyone have thoughts about these?
> Does anyone know of a high brow coil electric, as existed in the old
> days?
> Thanks
> Kent

==
Check this Kenmore stainless one out. It has 2600 watt elements and a 4000
watt broiler. Self-cleaning,
warming drawer, 4.6 cu ft capacity oven--Not bad. I didn't realize they were
still improving the coil units.
Guess there is a market for them after all ;-):
http://tinyurl.com/yqq83

Dan

Kent H. wrote in message >...
<snip>it appears
>today that most electrics are the flat glass panels. We don't like them,
>for appearance, and for safety, because it would be easy to accidentally
>touch the panel if nothing else. Does anyone have thoughts about these?

<sip>
>Thanks Kent

<snip>

If you don't like the appearance, that's your call. As far as safety is
concerned, my glass top range had a warning light when the top was too hot.
Not just when the power was on, but when touching the top would lead to
injury. This was far safer than any other type of range or cooktop I've
used in this regard. I am switching to a gas cooktop because of other
preferences, but I really liked the safety aspects of the glass top. Dan

Kent H.

You've just hit on the ultimate question! Why are you switching?? I'm on
the verge of doing the same and I'm trying to understand why.
Thanks
Kent

Kent H. > wrote:
> for the link to kitchen links. If we were to choose electric, it appears
> today that most electrics are the flat glass panels. We don't like them,
> for appearance, and for safety, because it would be easy to accidentally
> touch the panel if nothing else. Does anyone have thoughts about these?

While I won't argue the appearance question, that being a matter
of personal taste, the safety issue I do not understand. I mean,
even standard coil type electrics can be turned off for a few
minutes and you won't know if the coil is still hot. At least
with most smooth tops there is a light to indicate that one
of the burners is still too hot to touch. On mine it does not
indicate *which* one is hot, but one should not get in the habit
of setting stuff on a stove anyway.

I personally would prefer a gas stove. I have used them in the
past and I don't think the extra time required to boil water is
all that big a deal. I mean it's a matter of an extra minute
or two, if that. I would definitely have an outside vented hood
of some sort on a gas stove to help remove the excess moisture.

> Does anyone know of a high brow coil electric, as existed in the old
> days?

I just did a quick search and did not find any higher end
stoves with coils. Not too surprising. I have been pleasantly
surprised by the smooth-top in my house. It was there when we
bought the house 9 years ago and it has worked out well, even
though I would not have chosen it. If I were remodelling I would
probably switch to gas, but a smooth-top would be my next choice
and well ahead of an eclectric coil model.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Dan

Kent H. wrote in message >...
>You've just hit on the ultimate question! Why are you switching?? I'm on
>the verge of doing the same and I'm trying to understand why.
>Thanks
>Kent

<snip>
Several reasons. The first being I haven't really found a drop in that has
all the good qualities I liked in my range glass top. Namely a containment
lip all around the outside edge. Most of the drop in models are dead flat.
Spillovers would not be contained and end up wherever the counter takes
them. The downside of the lip of course is that it limits your cookware
size - a frequent annoyance. My gas model (GE Monogram) has a flat grate
for unlimited cookware size and wells for the burners that will capture
spills. Yes, harder to clean but worth not having to chase boiling liquid
around the kitchen.
The second big reason, and this is the main one, is that the glass top
simply wasn't efficient with most of my cookware. I haven't done any 0 to
boiling tests so the data might disagree with me, but most of my cast iron,
glass, stainless steal, and aluminum cookware is not flat. My new stuff
(Calphalon) would perform fine, but a simple (not multi-ply) stainless pot
with a little warp in the bottom was terrible. A little lean on the top
would send liquid into a roaring boil and the low spots on the bottom would
burn the contents. My previous experiences with gas are much better. I've
read all the websites comparing electric and gas and I know I shouldn't care
which I have on any practical basis, but I do. Dan

Steve Calvin

Dan wrote:

> Kent H. wrote in message >...
>
>>You've just hit on the ultimate question! Why are you switching?? I'm on
>>the verge of doing the same and I'm trying to understand why.
>>Thanks
>>Kent

> <snip>
> Several reasons. The first being I haven't really found a drop in that has
> all the good qualities I liked in my range glass top. Namely a containment
> lip all around the outside edge. Most of the drop in models are dead flat.
> Spillovers would not be contained and end up wherever the counter takes
> them. The downside of the lip of course is that it limits your cookware
> size - a frequent annoyance. My gas model (GE Monogram) has a flat grate
> for unlimited cookware size and wells for the burners that will capture
> spills. Yes, harder to clean but worth not having to chase boiling liquid
> around the kitchen.
> The second big reason, and this is the main one, is that the glass top
> simply wasn't efficient with most of my cookware. I haven't done any 0 to
> boiling tests so the data might disagree with me, but most of my cast iron,
> glass, stainless steal, and aluminum cookware is not flat. My new stuff
> (Calphalon) would perform fine, but a simple (not multi-ply) stainless pot
> with a little warp in the bottom was terrible. A little lean on the top
> would send liquid into a roaring boil and the low spots on the bottom would
> burn the contents. My previous experiences with gas are much better. I've
> read all the websites comparing electric and gas and I know I shouldn't care
> which I have on any practical basis, but I do. Dan

After having Gas, then electric coils, then back to gas, then to an
electric flattop I must say that I prefer the electric flattop to them
all. Granted it requires a different technique but extremely versatile
and a breeze to clean. No problem with the Cooks Essentials line of
cookware from QVC. I had some Calphalon and sold it for two bucks at a
yard sale Nothing personal Dan, I just found it totally inferior to my CE.

--
Steve

Dan

Steve Calvin wrote in message ...
<snip> No problem with the Cooks Essentials line of
>cookware from QVC. I had some Calphalon and sold it for two bucks at a
>yard sale Nothing personal Dan, I just found it totally inferior to my CE.
>
>--
>Steve
>
>Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth. Deal with it.

Got the Calphalon Pots and Pans line with credit card points. It is the
nicest stuff I have and being the newest, It also worked the best on my
glasstop. Nothing personal taken, I don't asked what type of heat or what
type of cookware was used on my food, I just eat it! Have a great holiday,
everyone! Dan

Steve Calvin

Dan wrote:

> Steve Calvin wrote in message ...
> <snip> No problem with the Cooks Essentials line of
>
>>cookware from QVC. I had some Calphalon and sold it for two bucks at a
>>yard sale Nothing personal Dan, I just found it totally inferior to my CE.
>>
>>--
>>Steve
>>
>>Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth. Deal with it.

> Got the Calphalon Pots and Pans line with credit card points. It is the
> nicest stuff I have and being the newest, It also worked the best on my
> glasstop. Nothing personal taken, I don't asked what type of heat or what
> type of cookware was used on my food, I just eat it! Have a great holiday,
> everyone! Dan

lol, good point. I don't really care what someone uses either. It's
all personal preferance.

Good cheer back atcha. ;-)

--
Steve

Still Kicking Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 21-09-2009 02:27 AM
Still Kicking Emery Davis[_2_] Wine 0 19-09-2009 04:18 PM
Still Kicking Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 13-09-2009 05:54 AM
Still Kicking Ken Blake Wine 0 12-09-2009 06:26 PM
Alive and kicking Methuselah Barbecue 59 22-02-2004 07:21 PM