Anthony

Default Did Alton Brown's digital temperature probe burn up?

One of Alton's foodTV shows is an episode called "Family Roasts". The
recipe demonstrated on TV is 'Dry aged standing rib roast with sage
jus'. During the show Alton used a digital probe to pinpoint when the
meat in the oven reaches 118 degrees F. .....The recipe continues......

'Remove the roast and turn oven up to 500 degrees F. Allow the roast to
rest until an internal temperature of 130 degrees F. is reached. Place
the roast back into the preheated 500 degree F oven for about 10 minutes
or until you've achieved your desired crust. Remove and transfer roast
to a cutting board. Keep covered with foil until ready to serve.'

During this show he specifically advises viewers not to remove the
digital probe (internal juices will leak out) and shows the meat going
back into the now 500 degree F oven with the probe still in place.

I've read that these probes are very finicky and will be damaged (and
not work anymore) if the wire connecting the probe to the digtal display
outide the oven is exposed to heat greater than about 395 degree F.

What's up? Does Alton recommend a digital probe that can take the heat?
Has anyone tried this method? Did you "fry" the wire to your digital
probe?

Curious before I try it.

notbob

On 2003-12-14, Anthony > wrote:

> I've read that these probes are very finicky and will be damaged (and
> not work anymore) if the wire connecting the probe to the digtal display
> outide the oven is exposed to heat greater than about 395 degree F.

You read that where? What does the documentation that came with the
digital thermometer read?

nb
Richard Periut

Anthony wrote:
> One of Alton's foodTV shows is an episode called "Family Roasts". The
> recipe demonstrated on TV is 'Dry aged standing rib roast with sage
> jus'. During the show Alton used a digital probe to pinpoint when the
> meat in the oven reaches 118 degrees F. .....The recipe continues......
>
> 'Remove the roast and turn oven up to 500 degrees F. Allow the roast to
> rest until an internal temperature of 130 degrees F. is reached. Place
> the roast back into the preheated 500 degree F oven for about 10 minutes
> or until you've achieved your desired crust. Remove and transfer roast
> to a cutting board. Keep covered with foil until ready to serve.'
>
> During this show he specifically advises viewers not to remove the
> digital probe (internal juices will leak out) and shows the meat going
> back into the now 500 degree F oven with the probe still in place.
>
> I've read that these probes are very finicky and will be damaged (and
> not work anymore) if the wire connecting the probe to the digtal display
> outide the oven is exposed to heat greater than about 395 degree F.
>
> What's up? Does Alton recommend a digital probe that can take the heat?
> Has anyone tried this method? Did you "fry" the wire to your digital
> probe?
>
> Curious before I try it.

If I rem correctly, he was using one of those probes, with a HEAVY DUTY
wire that connects the probe to the thermometer on the outside.

If that is the case, then it's obvious that the probe is meant to be
used in the oven and left inside the meat. Otherwise, a simple wire
suffices.

BTW, I have had mine for about five years, and I practically use it
every day. It's still working.

Richard

--
"..A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava
beans and a nice chianti..."

Hannibal "The Cannibal"

Silence Of The Lambs 1991

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Anthony" > wrote in message
.com...

> What's up? Does Alton recommend a digital probe that can take the heat?
> Has anyone tried this method? Did you "fry" the wire to your digital
> probe?
>
> Curious before I try it.

I tried it and screwed my fairly new Polder probe thermometer. I don't know
for certain, however, that the very high temperature was the reason my
Polder went kaput. I just know it went kaput when I used it for that
recipe. It seems odd to me, since if it worked for AB on TV, and he uses
the same kind of thermometer, then why wouldn't it work for others?

FWIW, I found another probe thermometer that supposedly handles very high
oven temperatures (or so says the box--I have not bought it). I think the
brand was Acu-Rite.

rona

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

> "Anthony" > wrote in message
> .com...
>

> > What's up? Does Alton recommend a digital probe that can take the heat?
> > Has anyone tried this method? Did you "fry" the wire to your digital
> > probe?
> >
> > Curious before I try it.
> >

> I tried it and screwed my fairly new Polder probe thermometer. I don't know
> for certain, however, that the very high temperature was the reason my
> Polder went kaput. I just know it went kaput when I used it for that
> recipe. It seems odd to me, since if it worked for AB on TV, and he uses
> the same kind of thermometer, then why wouldn't it work for others?
>
> FWIW, I found another probe thermometer that supposedly handles very high
> oven temperatures (or so says the box--I have not bought it). I think the
> brand was Acu-Rite.
>
> rona
>
> --
> ***For e-mail, replace .com with .ca Sorry for the inconvenience!***

Yes, Acu-Rite probe thermometers are supposed to go up to 700 degrees F.

See http://www.partshelf.com/acu00667.html for specs.

Bert

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

> wrote in message

> Yes, Acu-Rite probe thermometers are supposed to go up to 700 degrees F.
>
> See http://www.partshelf.com/acu00667.html for specs.
>
> Bert

Yup, that's it! And for only $22.95! The reason I didn't buy it was
because it was $59.95 Canadian. Even with the exchange rate and duties,
that's a heck of a difference in price.

rona

hahabogus

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in
:

> > wrote in message
>

>> Yes, Acu-Rite probe thermometers are supposed to go up to 700 degrees F.
>>
>> See http://www.partshelf.com/acu00667.html for specs.
>>
>> Bert

> Yup, that's it! And for only $22.95! The reason I didn't buy it was
> because it was $59.95 Canadian. Even with the exchange rate and duties,
> that's a heck of a difference in price.
>
> rona

The cord and probe replacement kit at partshelf will I believe work with a
polder and is way cheaper than 60 bucks Canadian. If you want to test it
out...I have several I shipped (5) in...we could meet in polo park with a
cup of coffee and your thermometer and my replacement probe and do a
test... If it works consider it my xmas present to you. You have my e-mail
address contact me if interested...maybe that new chinese restaurant near
where you worked might be better Hungs Garden or Hangs Garden I believe you
called it.

--
And the beet goes on! (or under)
-me just a while ago
Miracle Whip

"hahabogus" > wrote in message ...
> "Rona Yuthasastrakosol" > wrote in
> :
>
> > > wrote in message
> >

> >> Yes, Acu-Rite probe thermometers are supposed to go up to 700 degrees F.
> >>
> >> See http://www.partshelf.com/acu00667.html for specs.
> >>
> >> Bert

> > Yup, that's it! And for only $22.95! The reason I didn't buy it was
> > because it was $59.95 Canadian. Even with the exchange rate and duties,
> > that's a heck of a difference in price.
> >
> > rona
> >

> The cord and probe replacement kit at partshelf will I believe work with a
> polder and is way cheaper than 60 bucks Canadian. If you want to test it
> out...I have several I shipped (5) in...we could meet in polo park with a
> cup of coffee and your thermometer and my replacement probe and do a
> test... If it works consider it my xmas present to you. You have my e-mail
> address contact me if interested...maybe that new chinese restaurant near
> where you worked might be better Hungs Garden or Hangs Garden I believe you
> called it.
>

> --
> And the beet goes on! (or under)
> -me just a while ago

Hey haha

I am waiting for replies from Chaney, Taylor and partshelf for this very item.
Would you share how you found the replacement item # and cost from partshelf.com.

thanks
MW 8-}

Darryl L. Pierce

Anthony wrote:

> I've read that these probes are very finicky and will be damaged (and
> not work anymore) if the wire connecting the probe to the digtal display
> outide the oven is exposed to heat greater than about 395 degree F.
>
> What's up? Does Alton recommend a digital probe that can take the heat?
> Has anyone tried this method? Did you "fry" the wire to your digital
> probe?
>
> Curious before I try it.

Alton had the plug end *outside* of the oven. He didn't put the cord
completely into the over when he returned the roast.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
Steve Calvin

Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:
> > wrote in message
>

>>Yes, Acu-Rite probe thermometers are supposed to go up to 700 degrees F.
>>
>>See http://www.partshelf.com/acu00667.html for specs.
>>
>>Bert

> Yup, that's it! And for only $22.95! The reason I didn't buy it was
> because it was $59.95 Canadian. Even with the exchange rate and duties,
> that's a heck of a difference in price.
>
> rona

ok, stupid user question.... I've used instant read thermometers and
have wondered about these probe things. Do you insert the probe and just
close the oven door on the wire going to the unit? I know it's probably
the case but it just seems weird to me to have a wire between the door
seal and the door.

Debbie Deutsch

Steve Calvin > wrote in
:

> ok, stupid user question.... I've used instant read thermometers and
> have wondered about these probe things. Do you insert the probe and
> just close the oven door on the wire going to the unit? I know it's
> probably the case but it just seems weird to me to have a wire between
> the door seal and the door.

Yes, the door is closed on the wire. Any gap in the door seal that this
causes is very small. I haven't noticed any problems in doing this.

Debbie

--
Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a
throw-away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if
Miracle Whip

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> >

> >>Yes, Acu-Rite probe thermometers are supposed to go up to 700 degrees F.
> >>
> >>See http://www.partshelf.com/acu00667.html for specs.
> >>
> >>Bert

> > Yup, that's it! And for only $22.95! The reason I didn't buy it was
> > because it was $59.95 Canadian. Even with the exchange rate and duties,
> > that's a heck of a difference in price.
> >
> > rona
> >

> ok, stupid user question.... I've used instant read thermometers and
> have wondered about these probe things. Do you insert the probe and just
> close the oven door on the wire going to the unit? I know it's probably
> the case but it just seems weird to me to have a wire between the door
> seal and the door.

yes, the probe (the wire is small enough to not make a difference) goes into the food and close the
door. just don't let the cooking temp. get over the suggested of 392º or the probe will melt and
short, which is why some of us are looking for the probe that has a high temp. of 700º.

Steve Calvin

Miracle Whip wrote:

> "Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
>=20
>>Rona Yuthasastrakosol wrote:

F.

>>>Yup, that's it! And for only $22.95! The reason I didn't buy it was
>>>because it was $59.95 Canadian. Even with the exchange rate and dutie=

s,
>>>that's a heck of a difference in price.
>>>
>>>rona
>>>

>>ok, stupid user question.... I've used instant read thermometers and
>>have wondered about these probe things. Do you insert the probe and jus=

>>close the oven door on the wire going to the unit? I know it's probably=

>>the case but it just seems weird to me to have a wire between the door
>>seal and the door.
>>

>=20
>=20
> yes, the probe (the wire is small enough to not make a difference) goes=

into the food and close the
> door. just don't let the cooking temp. get over the suggested of 392=BA=

or the probe will melt and
> short, which is why some of us are looking for the probe that has a hig=

h temp. of 700=BA.
>=20
>=20

okie-dokie. Thanks MW and Debbie. For $23 maybe I'll get one and play=20
with it.

Steve Calvin

Debbie Deutsch wrote:
> Steve Calvin > wrote in
> :
>

>>ok, stupid user question.... I've used instant read thermometers and
>>have wondered about these probe things. Do you insert the probe and
>>just close the oven door on the wire going to the unit? I know it's
>>probably the case but it just seems weird to me to have a wire between
>>the door seal and the door.
>>

> Yes, the door is closed on the wire. Any gap in the door seal that this
> causes is very small. I haven't noticed any problems in doing this.
>
> Debbie

ok, thanks all. For that price I think I'll get one and try it out.

Ribitt

>.
> >

> yes, the probe (the wire is small enough to not make a difference) goes

into the food and close the
> door. just don't let the cooking temp. get over the suggested of 392º or

the probe will melt and
> short, which is why some of us are looking for the probe that has a high

temp. of 700º.

Is someone making an error in reading the manual? I have a Taylor digital
probe thermometer which is rated to give temperature readings up to 392F
(200C). But that's the temp at the tip of the probe which is presumably
buried deep inside a piece of beef or whatever. Obviously the oven temp will
be much higher than that.

John Gaughan

Anthony wrote:
> During this show he specifically advises viewers not to remove the
> digital probe (internal juices will leak out) and shows the meat
> going back into the now 500 degree F oven with the probe still in
> place.

I watched that show too. He left the probe in, but unplugged the cable.

--
John Gaughan
http://www.johngaughan.net/

Bergen

Just a side note...if the oven's electric, don't let the wire get too close
to the upper heating element. It'll melt the insulation inside the wire,
especially if you forget to turn the preheat off ;-|
Ken

"Debbie Deutsch" > wrote in message
7.132...
> Steve Calvin > wrote in
> :
>

> > ok, stupid user question.... I've used instant read thermometers and
> > have wondered about these probe things. Do you insert the probe and
> > just close the oven door on the wire going to the unit? I know it's
> > probably the case but it just seems weird to me to have a wire between
> > the door seal and the door.
> >

> Yes, the door is closed on the wire. Any gap in the door seal that this
> causes is very small. I haven't noticed any problems in doing this.
>
> Debbie
>
> --
> Anti-spam advisory: The email address used to post this article is a
> throw-away address. It will be invalidated and replaced with another if
> and when it is found by spammers.

notbob

On 2003-12-15, John Gaughan > wrote:

> I watched that show too. He left the probe in, but unplugged the cable.

I just saw a Radio Shack commercial for a wireless temp probe.

nb
Scout

He did? I could've sworn I saw him connect the cable to the meter and
magnetically stick the meter to the oven door.
Scout

"John Gaughan" > wrote

> I watched that show too. He left the probe in, but unplugged the cable.

LadySycamore

Scout wrote:

> He did? I could've sworn I saw him connect the cable to the meter and
> magnetically stick the meter to the oven door.
> Scout

That during the first part of the cooking process (in the cooler oven).
When he turned up the oven to 500 degrees, he unplugged the cable, but
left the probe in the meat.

--
~LadySycamore~
"Your 'right' doesn't make me 'wrong'" Mr. T.Jones

Levelwave©

LadySycamore wrote:

> That during the first part of the cooking process (in the cooler oven).
> When he turned up the oven to 500 degrees, he unplugged the cable, but
> left the probe in the meat.

Even if you unplug the cable from the unit, the metal probe left in the
meat is still permanently attached to the cable... so in essence there's
no real reason Alton should have unplugged the unit or not... The cable
will still be *in* the oven and susceptible to dangerous temperature
levels which can damage the cable, not the unit...

~john!

--
Say hello to the rug's topography...It holds quite a lot of interest
with your face down on it...

Darryl L. Pierce

Scout wrote:

> He did? I could've sworn I saw him connect the cable to the meter and
> magnetically stick the meter to the oven door.

He disconnected the base from the probe.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
pltrgyst

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 18:01:15 GMT, "Ribitt" >
wrote:

>Is someone making an error in reading the manual? I have a Taylor digital
>probe thermometer which is rated to give temperature readings up to 392F
>(200C). But that's the temp at the tip of the probe which is presumably
>buried deep inside a piece of beef or whatever. Obviously the oven temp will
>be much higher than that.

Definitely. My 392 degF Polder and Taylors have spent many hours in up
to 550 degF ovens with no ill effects. It's the display which only
functions up to 392.

I also have the newer dual display/dual probe model, which has
survived similar treatment.

-- Larry