zippoman

Default Knife quandary

I suspect this question has been posed here many time, but I have just
discovered the NG.

I am going to purchase a new set of kitchen knives. I have an old set of
"inexpensive" Henckels that have been abused beyond help.

I think I have it narrowed town to F. Dick, Wusthof, or Kershaw. I am quite
sure I want a high carbon, stainless knife. Any body have any comparisons?

Thanks in advance

Peter Aitken

"zippoman" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I suspect this question has been posed here many time, but I have just
> discovered the NG.
>
> I am going to purchase a new set of kitchen knives. I have an old set of
> "inexpensive" Henckels that have been abused beyond help.
>
> I think I have it narrowed town to F. Dick, Wusthof, or Kershaw. I am

quite
> sure I want a high carbon, stainless knife. Any body have any

comparisons?

> Thanks in advance

If you are going to spend the big $$ for high quality knives, any brand such
as Henckles or Wusthof will give you top quality blades that will last
longer than you or me. The differences come in the blade and handle shapes
and you need to choose based on what suits you. You need to try them out for
yuorself. And you might reconsider buying a set - they look nice but do you
really need all those knives?

--
Peter Aitken

Fred

"zippoman" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> I suspect this question has been posed here many time, but I have just
> discovered the NG.
>
> I am going to purchase a new set of kitchen knives. I have an old set of
> "inexpensive" Henckels that have been abused beyond help.
>
> I think I have it narrowed town to F. Dick, Wusthof, or Kershaw. I am

quite
> sure I want a high carbon, stainless knife. Any body have any

comparisons?

> Thanks in advance

All top quality products. There is a meaningful difference between the
Kershaw (I assume you mean the Kai Shun line) and the others, however. The
Kai knives have a hard VG-10 core that allows the manufacturer to make a
thinner blade with a more acute bevel angle (they are sharper.) The hard
steel allows the more acute angled edges to exist without rolling over. If
you send these knives to a commercial sharpener in the future, he will turn
them into a standard bevel like you would find on the Wustof or Dick,
thereby losing the advantage of that hard steel. So if you go that way,
consider learning to sharpen your own edges and buying the appropriate
equipment to do so. Good cooking.

Fred
Knife Outlet
http://www.knifeoutlet.com

zippoman

Thanks for the infornation.

Actually I didn't mean I was going to buy one of those 11 (or whatever)
piece sets.

I have taken a slightly early retirement and decided to keep myself busy by
enrolling in a culinary arts program at our local CC. I have always enjoyed
cooking and have gotten pretty good at it, so I thought this would be fun
and I could learn the basics. I just need 5 knives, and fortunately they
are the ones I would want anyway.

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. com...
> "zippoman" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > I suspect this question has been posed here many time, but I have just
> > discovered the NG.
> >
> > I am going to purchase a new set of kitchen knives. I have an old set

of
> > "inexpensive" Henckels that have been abused beyond help.
> >
> > I think I have it narrowed town to F. Dick, Wusthof, or Kershaw. I am

> quite
> > sure I want a high carbon, stainless knife. Any body have any

> comparisons?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >

> If you are going to spend the big $$ for high quality knives, any brand

such
> as Henckles or Wusthof will give you top quality blades that will last
> longer than you or me. The differences come in the blade and handle shapes
> and you need to choose based on what suits you. You need to try them out

for
> yuorself. And you might reconsider buying a set - they look nice but do

you
> really need all those knives?
>

> --
> Peter Aitken
>
> Remove the crap from my email address before using.

zippoman

Good info, I think I will stick to the traditional knives.

Thanks

"Fred" > wrote in message
t...

> "zippoman" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
> > I suspect this question has been posed here many time, but I have just
> > discovered the NG.
> >
> > I am going to purchase a new set of kitchen knives. I have an old set

of
> > "inexpensive" Henckels that have been abused beyond help.
> >
> > I think I have it narrowed town to F. Dick, Wusthof, or Kershaw. I am

> quite
> > sure I want a high carbon, stainless knife. Any body have any

> comparisons?
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >

> All top quality products. There is a meaningful difference between the
> Kershaw (I assume you mean the Kai Shun line) and the others, however.

The
> Kai knives have a hard VG-10 core that allows the manufacturer to make a
> thinner blade with a more acute bevel angle (they are sharper.) The hard
> steel allows the more acute angled edges to exist without rolling over.

If
> you send these knives to a commercial sharpener in the future, he will

turn
> them into a standard bevel like you would find on the Wustof or Dick,
> thereby losing the advantage of that hard steel. So if you go that way,
> consider learning to sharpen your own edges and buying the appropriate
> equipment to do so. Good cooking.
>
> Fred
> Knife Outlet
> http://www.knifeoutlet.com

Louis Cohen

I have the same thought - I've already looked at the culinary programs at
the local CC's.

It'll be tough keeping up all day with those young kids, some of whom have
probably been cooking at the family restaurant for years. But we're older
and slyer and can probably handle the academic side pretty easily.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

Bah! Humbug!

"zippoman" > wrote in message
link.net...
> Thanks for the infornation.
>
> Actually I didn't mean I was going to buy one of those 11 (or whatever)
> piece sets.
>
> I have taken a slightly early retirement and decided to keep myself busy

by
> enrolling in a culinary arts program at our local CC. I have always

enjoyed
> cooking and have gotten pretty good at it, so I thought this would be fun
> and I could learn the basics. I just need 5 knives, and fortunately they
> are the ones I would want anyway.
>

> "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > "zippoman" > wrote in message
> > ink.net...
> > > I suspect this question has been posed here many time, but I have just
> > > discovered the NG.
> > >
> > > I am going to purchase a new set of kitchen knives. I have an old set

> of
> > > "inexpensive" Henckels that have been abused beyond help.
> > >
> > > I think I have it narrowed town to F. Dick, Wusthof, or Kershaw. I am

> > quite
> > > sure I want a high carbon, stainless knife. Any body have any

> > comparisons?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance
> > >

> > If you are going to spend the big $$ for high quality knives, any brand

> such
> > as Henckles or Wusthof will give you top quality blades that will last
> > longer than you or me. The differences come in the blade and handle

shapes
> > and you need to choose based on what suits you. You need to try them out

> for
> > yuorself. And you might reconsider buying a set - they look nice but do

> you
> > really need all those knives?
> >

> > --
> > Peter Aitken
> >
> > Remove the crap from my email address before using.

zippoman

I had the same concerns about the young and nubile minds! However I just
completed a distance learning class (via the internet) since I couldn't get
into the sections I wanted last semester. The class was a requirement and
dealt with food safety etc. Surprise, surprise by looking at the statistics
from the tests there is something good to say about being an old coot!

Older and slyer and know how to conserve our energy.

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
> I have the same thought - I've already looked at the culinary programs at
> the local CC's.
>
> It'll be tough keeping up all day with those young kids, some of whom have
> probably been cooking at the family restaurant for years. But we're older
> and slyer and can probably handle the academic side pretty easily.

> ----
> Louis Cohen
> Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"
>
> Bah! Humbug!
>
> "zippoman" > wrote in message
> link.net...
> > Thanks for the infornation.
> >
> > Actually I didn't mean I was going to buy one of those 11 (or whatever)
> > piece sets.
> >
> > I have taken a slightly early retirement and decided to keep myself busy

> by
> > enrolling in a culinary arts program at our local CC. I have always

> enjoyed
> > cooking and have gotten pretty good at it, so I thought this would be

fun
> > and I could learn the basics. I just need 5 knives, and fortunately

they
> > are the ones I would want anyway.
> >

> > "Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
> > . com...
> > > "zippoman" > wrote in message
> > > ink.net...

just

set
> > of

am
> > > quite
> > > comparisons?

> > > If you are going to spend the big $$ for high quality knives, any

brand
> > such
> > > as Henckles or Wusthof will give you top quality blades that will last
> > > longer than you or me. The differences come in the blade and handle

> shapes
> > > and you need to choose based on what suits you. You need to try them

out
> > for
> > > yuorself. And you might reconsider buying a set - they look nice but

do
> > you
> > > really need all those knives?
> > >

> > > --
> > > Peter Aitken
> > >
> > > Remove the crap from my email address before using.

John LaBella

Default Knife quandary ping Louis & Zippoman

"zippoman" >
Louis Cohen"

Where are you two going?

--
The posting email address is not read or received
to contact me email me chefUnderscorejohn at the dash office dash party dot

---

zippoman

I live in Albuquerque NM and have enrolled at our local community college ,
Technical Vocational Institute. I looked into several of the specialty
culinary colleges but the cost was too high for me. I am not looking at
this for a vocation, just for my own interest and to keep my mind exercised.

newsKlCb.518697$Fm2.504627@attbi_s04...

www.the-office-party.com

> ---

zippoman

I also should have mentioned in my previous reply that you may want to check
out your local community college, the program I am enrolled in is
accredited. This program is 2 semesters for cooking (0800 - 1330 M-Th) and
if you want to do baking it is also 2 semesters. Since it is occupational,
there is no tuition, just books and uniforms and knives. So far books look
like about $125.00 for the 2 semesters of cooking. We are also required to
have 2 traditional chefs uniforms - white jacket, checked pants, floppy
hats, neckerchefs and aprons, this is about $120.00 too.

www.the-office-party.com

> ---

Louis Cohen

I was thinking of Laney College in Oakland. Convenient by BART, cheap
enough.

After learning the basics there, I could cherry pick classes in fancier
stuff at places like the California Culinary Academy, or the CIA venue in
the Napa Valley. I believe there are also professional baking classes on
the peninsula.

----

www.the-office-party.com

> ---

Louis Cohen

It would be cool to put on your chef's uniform when you cook for guests,
especially a big group like Thanksgiving.

Did they offer you a student deal on the knives? I understand that F. Dick
is very big with culinary students.

Laney's certificate program is 4 semesters of either cooking or baking.
It's too bad you can't do both; I could always just go back and learn baking
as well.

----
Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

Bah! Humbug!

k.net...

www.the-office-party.com

> > ---

Charles Demas

In article <DKMCb.532811$HS4.4071020@attbi_s01>,
Louis Cohen > wrote:
>It would be cool to put on your chef's uniform when you cook for guests,
>especially a big group like Thanksgiving.
>
>Did they offer you a student deal on the knives? I understand that F. Dick
>is very big with culinary students.

And with restaurants too, where cost is also an important criteria.

Students never have enough money.

Chuck Demas

--
Eat Healthy | _ _ | Nothing would be done at all,
Stay Fit | @ @ | If a man waited to do it so well,
| \___/ | http://world.std.com/~cpd
zippoman

My dream would be to go to Italy and get a couple of the 1 week type courses
in a restaurant.

My wife and I have been thinking about moving there, but it is a very big
decision since she would have to quit her job and we would have to sell our
home in order to do it. The compromise is to go for 6 months to try it. Of
course she would still have to quit work.

I have been investigating knives. The school doesn't sell the knives but
one of the (very few) knife stores in town will give discounts to students.
I don't think they handle F. Dick, but they do handle Henckel, Kershaw,
Sabitier.

My instructor said that he really likes his F. Dick as well as or better
than his other brands.

www.the-office-party.com

TGY Quandary Salsero Tea 4 23-06-2007 01:48 PM
knife, knife sharpener, shelf, nirey-stick Iou Sheng International Co., Ltd. Cooking Equipment 1 05-01-2004 05:44 PM
electric knife sharpener, stainless steel knife, knife's shelf Iou Sheng International Co., Ltd. Marketplace 0 02-01-2004 06:42 AM
Electric knife sharpener, knife, 3-layer complex steel knife Iou Sheng International Co., Ltd. Marketplace 0 24-12-2003 07:10 AM
Pinot Noir Quandary Dick R. Wine 29 06-11-2003 12:54 AM