Default kitchenaid mixer + watts

What's a recommended wattage for a kitchenaid mixer? (ie would 300 watts
be underpowered)

Thanks.
S Viemeister

q wrote:

> What's a recommended wattage for a kitchenaid mixer? (ie would 300 watts
> be underpowered)

I have a 250 watt KitchenAid (app 25 years old), and regularly use it for
bread - I've had no problems with it.

Christine

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> q wrote:
> >
> > What's a recommended wattage for a kitchenaid mixer? (ie would 300 watts
> > be underpowered)
> >

> I have a 250 watt KitchenAid (app 25 years old), and regularly use it for
> bread - I've had no problems with it.

We are fortunate. Hobart still made Kitchenaids back then. Mine is about
20 years old and one of the last that Hobart actually made for Kitchenaid.
As I understand it, downhill since then.

Vox Humana

"q" > wrote in message news
> What's a recommended wattage for a kitchenaid mixer? (ie would 300 watts
> be underpowered)
>
> Thanks.

Mine is 350 watts and has been adequate for my needs - cakes, breads, etc.
It is about 15 years old. Do you have some unusual application or a
situation where it might get constant use?

I just saw a Wolfgang Puck stand mixer - 700 watts, yesterday that looked
pretty nice. Regular price is about $225 (on sale for $179) and includes
the normal whisk, paddle, and dough hook, plus a nice splash shield (looks
better designed than KA) and two SS bowls. It has a power take-off for a
blender and front power hub for the usual grinder/slicer/pasta extruder.
The case is all metal and the unit is rated for commercial kitchens (what
ever that means.)

Take a look:
http://tinyurl.com/y5z9

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:06:35 +0000, Vox Humana wrote:

> "q" > wrote in message news
>> What's a recommended wattage for a kitchenaid mixer? (ie would 300 watts
>> be underpowered)
>>
>> Thanks.

> Mine is 350 watts and has been adequate for my needs - cakes, breads, etc.
> It is about 15 years old. Do you have some unusual application or a
> situation where it might get constant use?

I'd like the be able to add on options like the pasta roller and so on.
Presumably it's very power hungry.

> I just saw a Wolfgang Puck stand mixer - 700 watts, yesterday that looked
> pretty nice. Regular price is about $225 (on sale for $179) and includes
> the normal whisk, paddle, and dough hook, plus a nice splash shield (looks
> better designed than KA) and two SS bowls. It has a power take-off for a
> blender and front power hub for the usual grinder/slicer/pasta extruder.
> The case is all metal and the unit is rated for commercial kitchens (what
> ever that means.)
>
> Take a look:
> http://tinyurl.com/y5z9

Looks impressive, and very sold out.

alzelt

q wrote:

> What's a recommended wattage for a kitchenaid mixer? (ie would 300 watts
> be underpowered)
>
> Thanks.

What are you going to use it for?
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

S Viemeister

Christine wrote:

> We are fortunate. Hobart still made Kitchenaids back then. Mine is about
> 20 years old and one of the last that Hobart actually made for Kitchenaid.
> As I understand it, downhill since then.

Yes, I'm very fond of my Hobart-made KitchenAid!

The problems with the new ones are not across the board, though - there
seem to be some problems with consistency, but many of the new machines are
just fine. I gave one to my daughter-in-law about a year and a half ago,
(the least expensive one, like mine), and it seems to be working just
fine.

I would think that a refurb might be a very safe way of buying one -
presumably they get a thorough checking/repairing before being sent out
again - perhaps a more careful check than 'new' machines?

Sheila

J Quick

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "q" > wrote in message

news
> > What's a recommended wattage for a kitchenaid mixer? (ie would 300 watts
> > be underpowered)
> >
> > Thanks.

> Mine is 350 watts and has been adequate for my needs - cakes, breads, etc.
> It is about 15 years old. Do you have some unusual application or a
> situation where it might get constant use?
>
> I just saw a Wolfgang Puck stand mixer - 700 watts, yesterday that looked
> pretty nice. Regular price is about $225 (on sale for $179) and includes
> the normal whisk, paddle, and dough hook, plus a nice splash shield (looks
> better designed than KA) and two SS bowls. It has a power take-off for a
> blender and front power hub for the usual grinder/slicer/pasta extruder.
> The case is all metal and the unit is rated for commercial kitchens (what
> ever that means.)
>
> Take a look:
> http://tinyurl.com/y5z9

But have you actually _heard_ it run? It looks quite similar to a model
made by Breville and reconfigured for private labels. I bought one from
Sears. I don't really like Sears, but this mixer looked nice from the
photos and specs. It was louder than a banshee. There was no way I could
use it and maintain my hearing and that of my neighbors. I would prefer the
sound of a tablesaw to the racket it made. Thinking that I may have
received a defective model, I had the manager plug in the two floor models
they had on display at the store. They were just as loud. He couldn't
believe it himself. No problems processing that refund. The same brand was
used on Pepin's PBS show and I noticed the sound level was significantly
edited to mask it.

Other mixers that I tried were no louder than I expected. I'd be rather
interested to know if anyone has actually used one of the Puck mixers to
confirm or reject my suspicions.

Vox Humana

"q" > wrote in message news
> On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:06:35 +0000, Vox Humana wrote:
>

> > "q" > wrote in message

news
> >> What's a recommended wattage for a kitchenaid mixer? (ie would 300

watts
> >> be underpowered)
> >>
> >> Thanks.

> > Mine is 350 watts and has been adequate for my needs - cakes, breads,

etc.
> > It is about 15 years old. Do you have some unusual application or a
> > situation where it might get constant use?

> I'd like the be able to add on options like the pasta roller and so on.
> Presumably it's very power hungry.
>
> > I just saw a Wolfgang Puck stand mixer - 700 watts, yesterday that

looked
> > pretty nice. Regular price is about $225 (on sale for $179) and

includes
> > the normal whisk, paddle, and dough hook, plus a nice splash shield

(looks
> > better designed than KA) and two SS bowls. It has a power take-off for

> > blender and front power hub for the usual grinder/slicer/pasta extruder.
> > The case is all metal and the unit is rated for commercial kitchens

(what
> > ever that means.)
> >
> > Take a look:
> > http://tinyurl.com/y5z9

> Looks impressive, and very sold out.

It is an item that they normally sell. Wolfgang was featured this weekend
and a lot of his cookware and appliances were featured. It should be back
in stock shortly. If I had to buy another mixer, I would give it a try.

Vox Humana

"J Quick" > wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > "q" > wrote in message

> news
> > > What's a recommended wattage for a kitchenaid mixer? (ie would 300

watts
> > > be underpowered)
> > >
> > > Thanks.

> > Mine is 350 watts and has been adequate for my needs - cakes, breads,

etc.
> > It is about 15 years old. Do you have some unusual application or a
> > situation where it might get constant use?
> >
> > I just saw a Wolfgang Puck stand mixer - 700 watts, yesterday that

looked
> > pretty nice. Regular price is about $225 (on sale for $179) and

includes
> > the normal whisk, paddle, and dough hook, plus a nice splash shield

(looks
> > better designed than KA) and two SS bowls. It has a power take-off for

> > blender and front power hub for the usual grinder/slicer/pasta extruder.
> > The case is all metal and the unit is rated for commercial kitchens

(what
> > ever that means.)
> >
> > Take a look:
> > http://tinyurl.com/y5z9
> >

> But have you actually _heard_ it run? It looks quite similar to a model
> made by Breville and reconfigured for private labels. I bought one from
> Sears. I don't really like Sears, but this mixer looked nice from the
> photos and specs. It was louder than a banshee.

I just saw it on TV. Even the Kitchen Aid mixers are very loud on TV, so
that isn't a good indication. One nice thing about HSN is that you have a
30 day, no questions asked return policy and they send a return label with
the original paperwork. If you don't like it you send it back.

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 23:09:26 -0500, alzelt wrote:

> q wrote:
>
>> What's a recommended wattage for a kitchenaid mixer? (ie would 300
>> watts be underpowered)
>>
>> Thanks.

> What are you going to use it for?

I'd like to be able to add on attachments like the pasta roller and so on.

In rec.food.cooking q > wrote:
> What's a recommended wattage for a kitchenaid mixer? (ie would 300 watts
> be underpowered)

The wattage rating is not a very accurate measure of power
output. It only tells you how much electrical energy
it uses, not how much torque or horsepower you get out.
There is *some* relationship between the two. In theory
it takes about 750 watts to create 1 horsepower. That
ignores inefficiency and heat losses. In real life
it would probably be closer to 900 watts to get a full
horsepower out of an electric motor.

Anyway, the difference between 300, 325, and 350
is going to be pretty small. Less than 1/10 horsepower
from 300 to 350 assuming no difference in efficiency.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Dee Randall

A couple of months ago I bought a refurbished Kitchen aid mixer 5. I bought
it from a store that handles the warranty for Kitchen Aid. They had tried
to fix my 25 year old one, and said it would cost $260 to repair it, and
$229 to buy their refurbished one (they had no new ones.)

I had been thinking of buying a new one, but the "looks" of a new one,
prompted me to try to get the old one repaired.

My decision to buy this refurbished one at this store was one of weighing my
options. If I bought one at Costco and it needed fixed, I would be
visiting these same people to doing the repair, so it was also a matter of
diplomacy, as well as price. Costco price was only $20 more.

However, seeing within just a couple of weeks the more powerful model
(6-1/2 qt. for $319) at either Costco or BJ's (can't remember which), I
probably would opt for the larger model, mainly because I like to make large
doughs. I think the one I have is adequate for the regular doughs.

The new Kitchen Aid I have now is much quieter and I can raise the handle
with ease.

Hope this may help a little.
Dee

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "q" > wrote in message

news
> > On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:06:35 +0000, Vox Humana wrote:
> >

> > > "q" > wrote in message

> news

> watts

> > > Mine is 350 watts and has been adequate for my needs - cakes, breads,

> etc.
> > > It is about 15 years old. Do you have some unusual application or a
> > > situation where it might get constant use?

> > I'd like the be able to add on options like the pasta roller and so on.
> > Presumably it's very power hungry.
> >
> > > I just saw a Wolfgang Puck stand mixer - 700 watts, yesterday that

> looked
> > > pretty nice. Regular price is about $225 (on sale for $179) and

> includes
> > > the normal whisk, paddle, and dough hook, plus a nice splash shield

> (looks
> > > better designed than KA) and two SS bowls. It has a power take-off

for
> > > blender and front power hub for the usual grinder/slicer/pasta

extruder.
> > > The case is all metal and the unit is rated for commercial kitchens

> (what
> > > ever that means.)
> > >
> > > Take a look:
> > > http://tinyurl.com/y5z9

> > Looks impressive, and very sold out.

> It is an item that they normally sell. Wolfgang was featured this weekend
> and a lot of his cookware and appliances were featured. It should be back
> in stock shortly. If I had to buy another mixer, I would give it a try.

Dee Randall

<One nice thing about HSN is that you have a
30 day, no questions asked return policy and they send a return label with
the original paperwork. If you don't like it you send it back.>

What does HSN mean?
thanks,
Dee

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "J Quick" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "q" > wrote in message

> > news

> watts

> > > Mine is 350 watts and has been adequate for my needs - cakes, breads,

> etc.
> > > It is about 15 years old. Do you have some unusual application or a
> > > situation where it might get constant use?
> > >
> > > I just saw a Wolfgang Puck stand mixer - 700 watts, yesterday that

> looked
> > > pretty nice. Regular price is about $225 (on sale for $179) and

> includes
> > > the normal whisk, paddle, and dough hook, plus a nice splash shield

> (looks
> > > better designed than KA) and two SS bowls. It has a power take-off

for
> > > blender and front power hub for the usual grinder/slicer/pasta

extruder.
> > > The case is all metal and the unit is rated for commercial kitchens

> (what
> > > ever that means.)
> > >
> > > Take a look:
> > > http://tinyurl.com/y5z9
> > >

> > But have you actually _heard_ it run? It looks quite similar to a model
> > made by Breville and reconfigured for private labels. I bought one from
> > Sears. I don't really like Sears, but this mixer looked nice from the
> > photos and specs. It was louder than a banshee.

> I just saw it on TV. Even the Kitchen Aid mixers are very loud on TV, so
> that isn't a good indication. One nice thing about HSN is that you have a
> 30 day, no questions asked return policy and they send a return label with
> the original paperwork. If you don't like it you send it back.

Nancy Young

Dee Randall wrote:

> <One nice thing about HSN is that you have a
> 30 day, no questions asked return policy and they send a return label with
> the original paperwork. If you don't like it you send it back.>
>
> What does HSN mean?

They probably meant Home Shopping Network.

nancy

Vox Humana

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> <One nice thing about HSN is that you have a
> 30 day, no questions asked return policy and they send a return label with
> the original paperwork. If you don't like it you send it back.>
>
> What does HSN mean?
> thanks,
> Dee

HSN = Home Shopping Network www.hsn.com

Kate Dicey

q wrote:

> What's a recommended wattage for a kitchenaid mixer? (ie would 300 watts
> be underpowered)
>
> Thanks.

Dunno about Kitchenaid... My Magimix food processor has a 950W
motor... Just about powerful enough for me! Works on a 240V power
supply here in the UK.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Justice Elliot Chase

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> A couple of months ago I bought a refurbished Kitchen aid mixer 5. I

bought
> it from a store that handles the warranty for Kitchen Aid. They had tried
> to fix my 25 year old one, and said it would cost $260 to repair it, and
> $229 to buy their refurbished one (they had no new ones.)
>
> I had been thinking of buying a new one, but the "looks" of a new one,
> prompted me to try to get the old one repaired.
>
> My decision to buy this refurbished one at this store was one of weighing

my
> options. If I bought one at Costco and it needed fixed, I would be
> visiting these same people to doing the repair, so it was also a matter of
> diplomacy, as well as price. Costco price was only $20 more.
>
> However, seeing within just a couple of weeks the more powerful model
> (6-1/2 qt. for $319) at either Costco or BJ's (can't remember which), I
> probably would opt for the larger model, mainly because I like to make

large
> doughs. I think the one I have is adequate for the regular doughs.

The larger model makes it easier to use a "water bath" (i.e. Ice) around
the bowl for
whipping cream. (I've even managed to whip milk).
The Kitchen-Aid mixer has a small plastic gear inside that is built to
break (the gears get stripped)
before the motor gets damaged under heavy load. It is a pain to get to, but
I have fixed my own mixer -
cost about $60 to fix. You can find the gear online at a hardware store.
It'll take about 1/2 an hour to get into it,
and 1/2 an hour to get it back together. Most of the mixers (especially at
that size) that you find have probably
had the same damage, unless someone like me made a mistake and messed up
those two carbon rods at either side of the mixer
by the screws - those are the next "normal wear and tear" item to go, after
about 25 years. Either way, the mixer should be
good. You might have to get a new wisk - I've damaged those too, and the
only way you find out is the clatter as the wisk
tries to wisk in the side of the bowl. :-) Otherwise, it should be good.
BTW - I'm currently with the 425 watt model. It does most of what I
want, although I haven't tried to grind my own flour
in it. The pasta attachment and the vegetable slicer work fine (when I used
it, I just use a mandolin now). The only thing I can't do is
use a water bath, because it doesn't fit in.

> The new Kitchen Aid I have now is much quieter and I can raise the handle
> with ease.
>
> Hope this may help a little.
> Dee
>

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> >
> > "q" > wrote in message

> news

> > news

> > watts

breads,
> > etc.
> > >
> > > I'd like the be able to add on options like the pasta roller and so

on.
> > > Presumably it's very power hungry.

> > looked

> > includes

> > (looks

> for

> extruder.

> > (what

> > > Looks impressive, and very sold out.

> > It is an item that they normally sell. Wolfgang was featured this

weekend
> > and a lot of his cookware and appliances were featured. It should be

back
> > in stock shortly. If I had to buy another mixer, I would give it a try.

Bryan

S Viemeister > wrote in message >...
> Christine wrote:
>
> Yes, I'm very fond of my Hobart-made KitchenAid!
>
> The problems with the new ones are not across the board, though - there
> seem to be some problems with consistency, but many of the new machines are
> just fine. I gave one to my daughter-in-law about a year and a half ago,
> (the least expensive one, like mine), and it seems to be working just
> fine.

My mother recently bought a new KicthenAid mixer, and has ended up not
using it because she says it's not as good as the old one. Why she
even bought it I don't know; they old one still works fine.

Here's an article about KitchenAid in Appliance Magazine:
http://www.appliancemagazine.com/edi...hp?article=160

new factory+rapid expansion=some lowering of standards, apparently,
regardless of what the company says