Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment
Henrietta R. Hippo

Default Electric Range Won't Simmer...

Hi all,

I need to know if I have a faulty heat control switch for a 5 year old
Inglis 24" electric range. These are basically made by Whirlpool I
believe. The problem is with the large 8" burner. When I turn the
control on the the "low" setting from "off", the element won't heat up.
However, as I continue to turn it counter-clockwise until I reach
about number "2" on the dial, then the element begins to heat. This
problem only occurs on this particular burner. All other elemens heat
fine on the "low" setting. I've also noticed that I can hear what
appears to be popping sounds coming from the control every now and then
during the "cycling" of the element. I would assume that the
controller is becoming faulty or has developed a short. Would a
standard universal replacement infinite heat control switch work with
this? The element is 2400 watts, but I was told that any universal
replacement control for 8" elements in the range of 2100-2600 watts
should work OK. Is that correct? Thanks in advance for you help!

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment
buffalobill

http://fixitnow.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.food.equipment
Appliance Repair Aid

Henrietta R. Hippo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to know if I have a faulty heat control switch for a 5 year old
> Inglis 24" electric range. These are basically made by Whirlpool I
> believe. The problem is with the large 8" burner. When I turn the
> control on the the "low" setting from "off", the element won't heat up.
> However, as I continue to turn it counter-clockwise until I reach
> about number "2" on the dial, then the element begins to heat. This
> problem only occurs on this particular burner. All other elemens heat
> fine on the "low" setting. I've also noticed that I can hear what
> appears to be popping sounds coming from the control every now and then
> during the "cycling" of the element. I would assume that the
> controller is becoming faulty or has developed a short. Would a
> standard universal replacement infinite heat control switch work with
> this? The element is 2400 watts, but I was told that any universal
> replacement control for 8" elements in the range of 2100-2600 watts
> should work OK. Is that correct? Thanks in advance for you help!

Hi,

> When I turn the
> control on the the "low" setting from "off", the element won't heat up.
> However, as I continue to turn it counter-clockwise until I reach
> about number "2" on the dial, then the element begins to heat.

Bad switch.

> I would assume that the
> controller is becoming faulty or has developed a short.

Faulty, a short would blow a fuse.

> Would a
> standard universal replacement infinite heat control switch work with
> this?

Possibly but probably not...most newer ranges are a push to turn switch
and are wattage sensitive = model# time to get the correct switch.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/