Old 07-10-2003, 03:14 AM
Kent H.

Default Good stock pots for boiling water on ceramic top range

I am a big fan of Cuisinart Everyday, formerly Professional. It is
stainless, and has a copper bottom, and independent consumer mags say it
heats too hot. The current product is from Korea, and is better than the
old product from France. It can be found very competively priced.

Peter Lampione wrote:

What are the best pots for boiling water quickly over
a smooth ceramic glass top electic stove?

The pot needs to be lightweight (less mass to heat), except
that the bottom has to be flat, and as good a heat conductor
as possible.

The pots I see most often mentioned in these newsgroups
(such as All-Clad, Calphalon), are very nice and heavy weight,
and thus heat up slowly.
I have a wonderful Lagostina Irradial (4 qt), that has a
somewhat this but well made aluminum/stainless steel bottom (ready
also for induction!), and very this stainless steel walls.
However, I'd like to have one or two more, in sizes 6 and 8 qts,
and I don't seem to be able to find the Lagostinas easily (I bought
it while traveling).

What are the best stock pots for ceramic ranges, in terms of speed
of cooking?

Many thanks,

Peter

Old 07-10-2003, 06:53 PM
Bob Pastorio

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

in article , Peter Lampione
at
wrote on 10/6/03 6:14 PM:

This is becoming a bit complicated just to make pasta! :-)

buy a big cheap enameled pot at the local hardware store. black with white
specks. usually the label has a photo of corn on the cob or lobsters. that's
all you need for cooking pasta.

This begins to feel like angels dancing on the head of a pin.

Restaurants use aluminum pots because the balance of cost measured
against performance will almost always tip it that way. I've tried
everything from the old Club Aluminum pots and pans through Farber and
Wearever and T-Fal and Kitchen-Aid, Cuisinart and All-Clad and lots of
forgotten ones plus imported others including iron and enamels and
ceramics. The differences between them wasn't worth dealing with.
Except the heavy iron ones weren't very good.

The stock pots I use at home are commercial-weight aluminum. I have
one largish pot (16 quarts) that's an old cheapie stainless pot I use
for cooking corn and the odd lobster. The reason I keep it around for
those rare moments is because it's what my mother used and it has
sentimental value - all the way from the 50's. My kids call it
"grandma's corn pot."

Sheryl, that speckled pot will work as well as any of the others. Mine
is blue with white specks. As you imply, it's all too easy to get
caught up in the crayon rather than the drawing.

Pastorio

Old 07-10-2003, 09:05 PM
Christine

snippage

The stock pots I use at home are commercial-weight aluminum. I have
one largish pot (16 quarts) that's an old cheapie stainless pot I use
for cooking corn and the odd lobster. The reason I keep it around for
those rare moments is because it's what my mother used and it has
sentimental value - all the way from the 50's. My kids call it
"grandma's corn pot."

Bob,

I know what you mean... I have an 8 quart Regal Dutch oven which I use
about once a year and am planning to replace it. However, I had to make
sure it would go to a good home as it was a gift for my late mother who
wanted it very much and we bought it for her.

My son wants it both for cooking and especially sentimental value.

Chris in Pearland, TX

Old 07-10-2003, 11:17 PM
Sheellah

Just thought of something! I know it's said that a clad pot is overkill for
boiling water, but wouldn't having an aluminum core up the sides, conduct the
heat better, and bring the water to a boil faster than just a disk bottomed
pot? A good portion of the water is against the sides of pot. The core up the
sides should heat the water hotter, faster, than just plain steel which
wouldn't relay the bottom heat upwards very well.