Old 03-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Rick & Cyndi

Default Upright Freezer found!

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...
:
: "Rick & Cyndi" wrote in message
: We're going to pick it up on Thursday. Woo-Hoo!!
:
: Cyndi
:
: Pick it up???? How much to deliver it? One reason I buy from
the local
: dealers is delivery and setup. They are very competitive in
price and they
: bring the thing in, put it in place and the most I have to do
is hold a door
: open.
:
: Them things are heavy and I have but one pair of gonads in life
so why waste
: them hauling a big appliance?
:
: =======

About $ 50 to deliver - at "their" (time-wise) convenience.

Local dealers? What's that? Not here. I guess there might be
about 5 within a 30 mile radius but no such thing as free
delivery around here... I take that back, one of them a while
back offered free IF your order was over $ 599.00. Sears is
some-what local. About 25 miles. Rick and a neighbor moved into
the basement without a lot of effort. We had ramps and our own
dolly... If I wasn't getting impatient about getting it - I
might have sprung for the fee... No biggie. It's in the
basement and is probably cold enough to start loading it. I
haven't checked the temperature yet.

Old 03-10-2003, 10:38 PM
Rick & Cyndi

:
: "Rick & Cyndi" wrote in message
[...]
: That's why I love my local dealer. They do all the dirty work.
All I have
: to do is use it. Free delivery AND they extend the warranty
out a couple of
: years.
:
: Dawn
:
: ====

Cool. Very nice... and it's obvious that you don't live in
Armpit, Illinois!! LOL

Old 03-10-2003, 10:41 PM
Rick & Cyndi

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
: Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
:
: "Rick & Cyndi" wrote in message
: We're going to pick it up on Thursday. Woo-Hoo!!
:
: Cyndi
:
: Pick it up???? How much to deliver it? One reason I buy from
the local
: dealers is delivery and setup. They are very competitive in
price and they
: bring the thing in, put it in place and the most I have to do
is hold a door
: open.
:
: Them things are heavy and I have but one pair of gonads in
life so why waste
: them hauling a big appliance?
:
: I get things like that delivered, coz they then take the old
one away
: for gas recovery and proper disposal. Doesn't cost anything
from my
: local store.
: --
: Kate XXXXXX
======

Must be nice! No such animal here. As far as disposal - not
a problem in this case because my 13 cf works just fine... it
just isn't big enough. Now I have roughly 34 cf plus the one
above the fridge (maybe 7 cf? The fridge is a freezer on top 26
cf).

It's VERY hard to get decent service of ANY type around here!

Old 04-10-2003, 02:58 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Rick & Cyndi"
Must be nice! No such animal here. As far as disposal - not
a problem in this case because my 13 cf works just fine..

You must be out in the booonies someplace. I've heard of charges from $25
to $50 to get rid of refrigerators and AC's with Freon. You can't just
dump them in the landfill any more.

White goods of all types have no scrap value as compared to 10 or more years
ago.
Ed

Old 04-10-2003, 07:45 AM
Rick & Cyndi

"Edwin Pawlowski" & Cyndi"
: Must be nice! No such animal here. As far as disposal -
not
: a problem in this case because my 13 cf works just fine..
:
:
: You must be out in the booonies someplace. I've heard of
charges from $25
: to $50 to get rid of refrigerators and AC's with Freon. You
can't just
: dump them in the landfill any more.
:
: White goods of all types have no scrap value as compared to 10
or more years
: ago.
: Ed
:
: ----------

Surprisingly not...just within a very greedy section! We're
actually right in between 2 very large towns: Bloomington/Normal,
Ill and Peoria, Ill. Both towns have around 100 k people... but
you would think that since they weren't supersized like Chicago
or St. Louis... that they'd maintain some small town
friendliness and service. No such luck! That's why I refer to
this area as Armpit, Illinois.

I've never encountered such a large percentage of people as
consistantly rude, greedy, or aloof in any other section of the
lower 48, as I have right here, within a 20 mile radius. If DH
didn't have seniority going for him at work and several of his
relatives nearby... we'd be gone in a heartbeat.

Our specific neighborhood is friendly and kind... but drive 1
mile out of the town's limit... oh lawdy! Our little town has
less than 10 K of people within it's outer boundries but the
township probably has less than 3K within the actual "city
limits". We even have a couple of stop lights! But since our
proximity to larger cities is so close and our town so small...
we just don't have that many stores (ie, appliance stores) so we
have to rely on whatever Peoria or Bloomington have to offer...
which means even though distance-wise, we're only as far away as
'across town' for most larger cities... we're 'long distance'
where these two cities are concerned.

I double checked the delivery fee for Sears - $ 45.00 if we
waited for them to deliver at their convenience. There was no
mention of haul-away fees... but we're keeping our other freezer
anyway; so that wasn't an issue anyway. For curiosity sake, I
may call them tomorrow just to see what they would have charged.
Due to all of the pollution charges and freon fees (Illinois has
gotten VERY stringent in these areas)... chances are, Sears
probably wouldn't have even picked up an old freezer. shrug .
Gosh, this is depressing just writing this!

Old 04-10-2003, 02:45 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Rick & Cyndi" wrote in message

Surprisingly not...just within a very greedy section! We're
actually right in between 2 very large towns: Bloomington/Normal,
Ill and Peoria, Ill. Both towns have around 100 k people... but
you would think that since they weren't supersized like Chicago
or St. Louis... that they'd maintain some small town
friendliness and service. No such luck! That's why I refer to
this area as Armpit, Illinois.

I've been to Chicago and found the people there to be rather nice for a
large city. I'd secribe it as New York, but with manners.

Our specific neighborhood is friendly and kind... but drive 1
mile out of the town's limit... oh lawdy! Our little town has
less than 10 K of people within it's outer boundries but the
township probably has less than 3K within the actual "city
limits". We even have a couple of stop lights! But since our
proximity to larger cities is so close and our town so small...
we just don't have that many stores (ie, appliance stores) so we
have to rely on whatever Peoria or Bloomington have to offer...
which means even though distance-wise, we're only as far away as
'across town' for most larger cities... we're 'long distance'
where these two cities are concerned.

We get a similar reaction fromt he cities around us. I'm in Putnam CT, in
the northeast corner of the state. Population 10k, next town south about
15k. That puts us tiny comapred to Hartford CT, Worcester MA, Providence
RI, all of which are 35 miles away. We do, however, have a few appliance
dealers. They offer very competitive prices now that most belong to buying
co-ops. Service is outstanding. When our old freezer dies, the nearby dealer
did not have the one we wanted in stock and it would be 2 days. So, he
brough another freezer, helped my wife transfer the food. Two days later
brought he one we wanted and set it up, helped again witht he transfer and
took everything away. Total cost was maybe $25 more than the big
discounters for the same new freezer. .

We had a 22 year old Maytag washer. It was not working right so I bought
new belts. That was not the problem so I went back to the dealer to look at
new machines. He had what we wanted in stock, he took back the belts at the
price I paid for them, delivered and set up the new machine and took away
the old one. All of this in two hours from the time we visited the store.
And the price was still compeitive with the stores in the cities
surrounding us. Maybe we are just lucky to have a few good dealers.
Ed

Old 04-10-2003, 04:53 PM
Rick & Cyndi

: "Rick & Cyndi" wrote in message
:
: Surprisingly not...just within a very greedy section! We're
: actually right in between 2 very large towns:
Bloomington/Normal,
: Ill and Peoria, Ill. Both towns have around 100 k people...
but
: you would think that since they weren't supersized like
Chicago
: or St. Louis... that they'd maintain some small town
: friendliness and service. No such luck! That's why I refer
: this area as Armpit, Illinois.

: I've been to Chicago and found the people there to be rather
nice for a
: large city. I'd secribe it as New York, but with manners.

Hmmm. And I've found the two cities the opposite. Everytime
I've been in and through New York I've always had the best
time... everyone seemed pleasant, polite, friendly... Chicago
was "luck of the draw" depending upon who I asked/encountered for
what... FYI we're 2 1/2 hours away from Chicago and 3 hours away
from St. Louis (very friendly large city!).

:
[...]

Nice neck of the woods! It's been a while since I've been around
there. Not since the mid 90s, I reckon.

:
: We had a 22 year old Maytag washer. It was not working right
so I bought
: new belts. That was not the problem so I went back to the
dealer to look at
: new machines. He had what we wanted in stock, he took back the
belts at the
: price I paid for them, delivered and set up the new machine and
took away
: the old one. All of this in two hours from the time we visited
the store.
: And the price was still compeitive with the stores in the
cities
: surrounding us. Maybe we are just lucky to have a few good
dealers.
: Ed
:
Wow. Good dealers and 'good' people!

Bloomington is a friendlier town than Peoria because it's more
transient (my guess, anyway)... there's more money spent there,
due to the colleges and a few other nearby things. It also has a
couple of Interstates going through it which helps a lot...
Peoria, OTOH, is a wannabe Chicago but doesn't have the trade,
commerce or the necessities to do so! IIRC, back around 1800, or
so, Peoria was actually larger than Chicago and to talk with some
of the city's Powers-that-be... nah, Not going there....
nevermind. snort Here's a link about Peoria:
http://www.villageprofile.com/illino...a/peoria3.html Since
that site was done, they've built a super stadium (!) for their
little baseball team... they had another little ball field that
the team played at... attendence was so low that it was amazing
that the team stayed in Peoria or was disbanded; meanwhile, the
mysterious "they" decide (it actually started from a 'dream' of
one of the city's more affluent...blah, blah...) that all of a
sudden, Peoria NEEDS a new stadium, as in one like Major leaguers
play at... (why? game attendence was usually less than *50*
people! Seriously!)... In their defense, for the first couple
of games they did have maybe a couple thousand but that has since
dwindled - again - Surprise!... oh, and guess what, they planted
*Palm Trees*, from Florida... shakes head.... Hello,
Illinois, zone 5... snow, ice...

Sorry Ed, I said I wasn't gonna go there.

Anyway, the freezer is home and cold and I'll be moving things
into it today! Yay!!

Old 04-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Kate Dicey

Rick & Cyndi wrote:

About $ 50 to deliver - at "their" (time-wise) convenience.

Local dealers? What's that? Not here. I guess there might be
about 5 within a 30 mile radius but no such thing as free
delivery around here... I take that back, one of them a while
back offered free IF your order was over $ 599.00. Sears is
some-what local. About 25 miles. Rick and a neighbor moved into
the basement without a lot of effort. We had ramps and our own
dolly... If I wasn't getting impatient about getting it - I
might have sprung for the fee... No biggie. It's in the
basement and is probably cold enough to start loading it. I
haven't checked the temperature yet.

OOOH, what a swizz! My local (town centre) shop may cost slightly more
than the edge of town warehouse operation (but not always!), but as they
charge for delivery and removal of the old appliance and the town centre
shop doesn't, it works out at about the same price. To keep the local
shop in business, I'll got with them! They are usually quicker and even
delivered my new washer 3 weeks early when the old one went bang ahead
of schedule! I didn't buy the fridge-freezer from them because they
couldn't deliver on Boxing Day and the on-line store could, for the same
price, including taking the old one away.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old 05-10-2003, 04:00 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Rick & Cyndi" wrote in message

oh, and guess what, they planted
*Palm Trees*, from Florida... shakes head.... Hello,
Illinois, zone 5... snow, ice...

Wow, I can't top that one. The wonders of the town fathers and tax
dollars.
Ed

Old 05-10-2003, 01:12 PM
DawnK

"Rick & Cyndi" wrote in message news:H0ufb.672427 :
: ----------

I double checked the delivery fee for Sears - $ 45.00 if we
waited for them to deliver at their convenience. There was no
mention of haul-away fees... but we're keeping our other freezer
anyway; so that wasn't an issue anyway. For curiosity sake, I
may call them tomorrow just to see what they would have charged.
Due to all of the pollution charges and freon fees (Illinois has
gotten VERY stringent in these areas)... chances are, Sears
probably wouldn't have even picked up an old freezer. shrug .
Gosh, this is depressing just writing this!

Our Sears store is only about a mile away. They also charge for
delivery, but I'm not sure how much. We have no motivation to buy
from them, when a mile in the other direction, the appliance/furniture
store will deliver for free and take the old one away.

When we bought a new microwave oven in 1999, we carried the new one
home and were allowed to bring the old one to the store for disposal.
What could be easier. Nearly everyone we know buys new appliances at
the appliance/furniture store.

In the 10 years we have lived here, we have bought a dryer, a
dishwasher, a refrigerator, a stove, 2 tv-s, a vcr and a microwave
oven.

Dawn