Posted to rec.food.equipment
limey

Default Griddle

Sorry if this has been asked before.

I have a very old, well seasoned cast-iron double griddle. I also have a
smooth-top electric range. Since the griddle would span two burners (and
the space in between), can it be used safely on my range?

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Matthew L. Martin

limey wrote:
> Sorry if this has been asked before.
>
> I have a very old, well seasoned cast-iron double griddle. I also have a
> smooth-top electric range. Since the griddle would span two burners (and
> the space in between), can it be used safely on my range?

I don't see why not. I've used my griddle that way long before I got a
smooth-top range. Of course the smooth-top range I have has a bridge
between the two burners. That does a much better job of evenly heating
the griddle.

If all else fails, try reading the user's manual. It may tell you.

Matthew

--
There had better be horses and ponies in heaven, or the god I
don't believe is going to get her butt kicked big time.

-- TeaLady (mari) on ARK
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Edwin Pawlowski

"limey" > wrote in message
> Sorry if this has been asked before.
>
> I have a very old, well seasoned cast-iron double griddle. I also have a
> smooth-top electric range. Since the griddle would span two burners (and
> the space in between), can it be used safely on my range?
>
> Dora

Sure, the real question is, does it make contact with the surface to get
heated properly?

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Ward Abbott

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:10:10 -0500, "limey" >
wrote:

> Since the griddle would span two burners (and
>the space in between), can it be used safely on my range?

WHY not? If you are concerned about a little strip in the middle
that won't heat, I can dispel your worries. It will work fine.
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 14 Nov 2005 04:13:19a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ward Abbott?

> On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 18:10:10 -0500, "limey" >
> wrote:
>
>> Since the griddle would span two burners (and the space in between),
>> can it be used safely on my range?

> WHY not? If you are concerned about a little strip in the middle
> that won't heat, I can dispel your worries. It will work fine.

Some manufacturers of smoothtop ranges warn against doing this for the same
reason, presumably, that they warn against using oversize pots. It would be
best to check the owner's manual. That's one of the reasons that some
smoothtop ranges have a "bridge" burner between two of the regular burners.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.equipment
limey

"Ward Abbott" wrote in message

limey wrote:
>> Since the griddle would span two burners (and
>>the space in between), can it be used safely on my range?

> WHY not? If you are concerned about a little strip in the middle
> that won't heat, I can dispel your worries. It will work fine.

Good to hear - thanks. Others here have told me to read the manual - which
had no information. Others talk about a "bridge burner" - I have a warming
burner, but it's between two 6" burners at the back of the stove - no help.

Dora

Griddle Bread david buzanko Recipes (moderated) 0 06-03-2007 01:22 PM
Sirloin on griddle? [email protected] General Cooking 8 07-09-2006 05:04 AM
Blackstone Griddle Bob Hayden Cooking Equipment 1 02-03-2006 03:35 AM
griddle? Borax Barbecue 8 15-03-2005 12:15 AM
What is "griddle" ? flo.agaud Sourdough 18 02-05-2004 06:07 AM