Sam

Default Need advice: How to remove melted aluminum from oven

My wife turned on the self clean cycle and left an aluminum liner
sitting on the bottom of the oven. The aluminum melted and now there's
globs of metal stuck to the oven. What can I do to solve this problem?
I don't want to try scraping or try to peel the metal off and risk
damaging the oven surface. Or is this really the only thing I can do?
I don't imagine turning on the self clean cycle will accomplish much
besides melting the aluminum and re-solidify when it cools off. Any
advice is appreciated from anyone who has knowledge or experience with
this situation.

Del Cecchi

"Sam" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My wife turned on the self clean cycle and left an aluminum liner
> sitting on the bottom of the oven. The aluminum melted and now there's
> globs of metal stuck to the oven. What can I do to solve this problem?
> I don't want to try scraping or try to peel the metal off and risk
> damaging the oven surface. Or is this really the only thing I can do?
> I don't imagine turning on the self clean cycle will accomplish much
> besides melting the aluminum and re-solidify when it cools off. Any
> advice is appreciated from anyone who has knowledge or experience with
> this situation.

Aluminum is easily etched by lye or sodium hydroxide. One could use
drain cleaner or oven cleaner containing sodium hydroxide, very
carefully, repeat very carefully wearing goggles and rubber gloves, to
dissolve the aluminum.