Default Convection Ovens

I've recently gotten interested in possibly purchasing a convection
oven to replace my sharp microwave. The convection oven would need to
be a countertop model, just wondering if someone could recommend a
brand and model to consider. Also, do these ovens come big enough to
bake say a sheet of cookies or hold a 9x13 pan? Any insight or
recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sherry

I posted this message before reading further down in the archives.
But, am still interested about the capacity of these ovens. I noticed
someone recommended the Farberware, but I'm not sure I'm interested in
spending alot of money on one of these. Is there anything out there
less expensive?

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> I've recently gotten interested in possibly purchasing a convection
> oven to replace my sharp microwave. The convection oven would need to
> be a countertop model, just wondering if someone could recommend a
> brand and model to consider. Also, do these ovens come big enough to
> bake say a sheet of cookies or hold a 9x13 pan? Any insight or
> recommendations would be appreciated.

I would recommend that you get a Sharp microwave convection oven. I love
mine and it does the work of two appliances ( microwave and convection) and
adds the ability to mix the two cooking methods. You can see them at
www.sharpusa.com

Steve Calvin

Vox Humana wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>
>>I've recently gotten interested in possibly purchasing a convection
>>oven to replace my sharp microwave. The convection oven would need to
>>be a countertop model, just wondering if someone could recommend a
>>brand and model to consider. Also, do these ovens come big enough to
>>bake say a sheet of cookies or hold a 9x13 pan? Any insight or
>>recommendations would be appreciated.

> I would recommend that you get a Sharp microwave convection oven. I love
> mine and it does the work of two appliances ( microwave and convection) and
> adds the ability to mix the two cooking methods. You can see them at
> www.sharpusa.com

I agree with Vox, except I have the GE Profile Performance. It's one of
as the Sharp, it will micro, convection, or a combo of both. Very
versatile units. I use ours often.

--
Steve

Never read the fine print. There ain't no way you're going to like it.
Monika Adamczyk

Vox Humana wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>
>>I've recently gotten interested in possibly purchasing a convection
>>oven to replace my sharp microwave. The convection oven would need to
>>be a countertop model, just wondering if someone could recommend a
>>brand and model to consider. Also, do these ovens come big enough to
>>bake say a sheet of cookies or hold a 9x13 pan? Any insight or
>>recommendations would be appreciated.

> I would recommend that you get a Sharp microwave convection oven. I love
> mine and it does the work of two appliances ( microwave and convection) and
> adds the ability to mix the two cooking methods. You can see them at
> www.sharpusa.com

I second it. I have a smaller model with 12 inch wide turntable:
http://tinyurl.com/84m6m but I think Sharp makes a bigger model too.
Make sure you read the manual. It is well worth the time spent in order
to take advantage of multiple cooking options the oven offers.

Monika

Vox Humana

"Monika Adamczyk" > wrote in message

> I second it. I have a smaller model with 12 inch wide turntable:
> http://tinyurl.com/84m6m but I think Sharp makes a bigger model too.
> Make sure you read the manual. It is well worth the time spent in order
> to take advantage of multiple cooking options the oven offers.

I agree. I read the manual and the quick start guide a few times and the
kept it handy for a while. Once you get the hang of it, it all makes sense,
but the guide is useful at first. I have the over-the-range model with a 12
in turntable and a 1.1 cubic foot cavity. I think the countertop models
have 15 inch turntables with 1.5 cubic foot cavities. Even with the small
interior, I can get a cookie sheet in there and I can't think of a time that
I couldn't get what I wanted in the oven.

Joe Doe

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> I would recommend that you get a Sharp microwave convection oven. I love
> mine and it does the work of two appliances ( microwave and convection) and
> adds the ability to mix the two cooking methods. You can see them at
> www.sharpusa.com

I mainly use a small toaster oven to reheat a slice of pizza or the
like. On these kind of small jobs would the Sharp microwave convection
oven do a good job?

I was contemplating buying a fancy toaster oven (I would like one where
the outside stays cool - or is at least not a fire hazard - my current
B&D gets quite hot because it is just a metal box with a heating
element). I like the simple B&D because since it is so small it is
quite good at heating up a single serving of something. Are the combo
units/ as good or better in this regard?

Secondly, how long have you had your unit & how much do you use the oven
function? My concern is the electronics may be prone to failure because
of excessive heat exposure. My logic is: In normal microwave mode the
microwave never really gets hot and the electronic controls can be
expected to have a normal long life. However, in the bake mode the
electronics are probably exposed to quite a bit of continuous heat if
you use the oven a lot.

Lastly, is power level control on these microwaves similar to Panasonics
"inverter" technology i.e. true control or are power levels controlled
by switching?

Roland
Vox Humana

"Joe Doe" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>

> > I would recommend that you get a Sharp microwave convection oven. I

love
> > mine and it does the work of two appliances ( microwave and convection)

and
> > adds the ability to mix the two cooking methods. You can see them at
> > www.sharpusa.com

> I mainly use a small toaster oven to reheat a slice of pizza or the
> like. On these kind of small jobs would the Sharp microwave convection
> oven do a good job?
>
> I was contemplating buying a fancy toaster oven (I would like one where
> the outside stays cool - or is at least not a fire hazard - my current
> B&D gets quite hot because it is just a metal box with a heating
> element). I like the simple B&D because since it is so small it is
> quite good at heating up a single serving of something. Are the combo
> units/ as good or better in this regard?
>
> Secondly, how long have you had your unit & how much do you use the oven
> function? My concern is the electronics may be prone to failure because
> of excessive heat exposure. My logic is: In normal microwave mode the
> microwave never really gets hot and the electronic controls can be
> expected to have a normal long life. However, in the bake mode the
> electronics are probably exposed to quite a bit of continuous heat if
> you use the oven a lot.
>
> Lastly, is power level control on these microwaves similar to Panasonics
> "inverter" technology i.e. true control or are power levels controlled
> by switching?
>
> Roland

I have had mine for going on 3 years. I bake nearly daily and there are
only two of us, so I use the oven function daily. I also use the oven for
proofing yeast dough and for slow cooking. In fact, my primary oven has
been broken for about 4 months an I don't miss it although when I have time
this winter, I will diagnose the problem and fix it. About once or twice a
year I need a large oven. For parties the second oven is great and can be
used to hold food and to heat plates.

It takes about 5 minutes for my oven to heat to 350F. It does a good job
reheating things and there is a one-touch button for sensor reheating using
the microwave function. There are several pre-programmed cycles based on
the food, weight, and type of cooking you want. I can't see living without
a microwave, so having this unit does double duty. There are newer models
out that have exposed heating elements for broiling, but mine doesn't have
that. The unit has a broil function, but that preheats the oven to 450 and
bakes at 450, simulating broiling.

The power control is via switching, not inversion. There are 11 power
levels (0 - 10) and a four stage memory as well as delay cooking.

My unit has at least four fans. One behind the convection heating coil. A
second for ventilation. A third that seems to circulate air when the oven
is the microwave mode, and a forth that cools the electronics. The unit
seems to be well insulated but as with any appliance, there is always a
concern about heat and electronics. That said, the electronic controller in
my conventional oven died a couple years ago and my previous microwave's
electronics died. I have had good luck with Sharp microwaves. My first one
was a 1971 model that had a broiler. It was still working when I gave it
away in 1992.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe Doe" > wrote in message news:None-

> I mainly use a small toaster oven to reheat a slice of pizza or the
> like. On these kind of small jobs would the Sharp microwave convection
> oven do a good job?

About the only thing that the toaster oven is better for is re-heating
pizza. For everything else, the micro-convection is great. Baking, normal
nuking, it is very versatile, fast, and the controls are fine after a couple
of years. The cooking box is well insulated and gives off less heat than our
conventional oven.

Joe Doe

In article >,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> "Joe Doe" > wrote in message news:None-
> >
> > I mainly use a small toaster oven to reheat a slice of pizza or the
> > like. On these kind of small jobs would the Sharp microwave convection
> > oven do a good job?
> >

> About the only thing that the toaster oven is better for is re-heating
> pizza. For everything else, the micro-convection is great. Baking, normal
> nuking, it is very versatile, fast, and the controls are fine after a couple
> of years. The cooking box is well insulated and gives off less heat than our
> conventional oven.

I really like the idea of the combination units - I would like to gain
back counter space taken up by the toaster oven. From online reviews
and your & Vox opinions, it looks like these units are no longer
compromise units.

I am really torn between choosing very good individual units (say
Panasonic micro + ? small convection) vs a convection combination.

In combination mode, I assume you are restricted to non-metalic baking
trays?

Roland

Monika Adamczyk

Joe Doe wrote:
> In article >,
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
>

>>"Joe Doe" > wrote in message news:None-
>>
>>>I mainly use a small toaster oven to reheat a slice of pizza or the
>>>like. On these kind of small jobs would the Sharp microwave convection
>>>oven do a good job?
>>>

>>About the only thing that the toaster oven is better for is re-heating
>>pizza. For everything else, the micro-convection is great. Baking, normal
>>nuking, it is very versatile, fast, and the controls are fine after a couple
>>of years. The cooking box is well insulated and gives off less heat than our
>>conventional oven.

> I really like the idea of the combination units - I would like to gain
> back counter space taken up by the toaster oven. From online reviews
> and your & Vox opinions, it looks like these units are no longer
> compromise units.
>
> I am really torn between choosing very good individual units (say
> Panasonic micro + ? small convection) vs a convection combination.
>
> In combination mode, I assume you are restricted to non-metalic baking
> trays?
>

> Roland

My Sharp oven uses combination of microwave and convection for roasting
mode and allows using metal grill rack. I also often put a disposable
pizza pan on the turntable to avoid need to clean it and usually don't
have any problem with it.

Monika
Vox Humana

"Joe Doe" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
> > "Joe Doe" > wrote in message news:None-
> > >
> > > I mainly use a small toaster oven to reheat a slice of pizza or the
> > > like. On these kind of small jobs would the Sharp microwave convection
> > > oven do a good job?
> > >

> > About the only thing that the toaster oven is better for is re-heating
> > pizza. For everything else, the micro-convection is great. Baking,

normal
> > nuking, it is very versatile, fast, and the controls are fine after a

couple
> > of years. The cooking box is well insulated and gives off less heat than

our
> > conventional oven.

> I really like the idea of the combination units - I would like to gain
> back counter space taken up by the toaster oven. From online reviews
> and your & Vox opinions, it looks like these units are no longer
> compromise units.
>
> I am really torn between choosing very good individual units (say
> Panasonic micro + ? small convection) vs a convection combination.
>
> In combination mode, I assume you are restricted to non-metalic baking
> trays?

There is a comprehensive chart that shows what type of bakeware can be used
with each mode. I regularly use conventional metal bakeware in combination
mode. That includes a steel pizza ban and aluminum 11 x 13 cake pan. The
instructions say that you can use metal cookware is it is at least half full
and an inch from the sides of the oven. I have never had any problem with
arcing in combination mode. Combo-bake is 10% power and Combo-roast is 30%
power. I also use the metal rack in full microwave mode at 100% power. I
believe that you can use disposable aluminum pans in any mode as long as
they are at least half full and are not too close to the oven wall.

Steve Calvin

Monika Adamczyk wrote:

> My Sharp oven uses combination of microwave and convection for roasting
> mode and allows using metal grill rack. I also often put a disposable
> pizza pan on the turntable to avoid need to clean it and usually don't
> have any problem with it.
>
> Monika

Same with my GE. The only time I'd be leary of using metal is under full
microwave operation.

As for longevity, our GE over the range combo has been running perfectly
for 6.5 years.

--
Steve

Never read the fine print. There ain't no way you're going to like it.
Joe Doe

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> Monika Adamczyk wrote:
>

> > My Sharp oven uses combination of microwave and convection for roasting
> > mode and allows using metal grill rack. I also often put a disposable
> > pizza pan on the turntable to avoid need to clean it and usually don't
> > have any problem with it.
> >
> > Monika

> Same with my GE. The only time I'd be leary of using metal is under full
> microwave operation.
>
> As for longevity, our GE over the range combo has been running perfectly
> for 6.5 years.

Beginning to sound better and better.

Thanks for the input.

Roland
Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe Doe" > wrote in message
> In combination mode, I assume you are restricted to non-metalic baking
> trays?

No, but IMO, you get better results with non-metallic. Metal trays allow
the waves to enter from the open top only.

Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 18 Oct 2005 12:59:16p, Steve Calvin wrote in rec.food.equipment:

> Monika Adamczyk wrote:
>

>> My Sharp oven uses combination of microwave and convection for roasting
>> mode and allows using metal grill rack. I also often put a disposable
>> pizza pan on the turntable to avoid need to clean it and usually don't
>> have any problem with it.
>>
>> Monika

> Same with my GE. The only time I'd be leary of using metal is under full
> microwave operation.
>
> As for longevity, our GE over the range combo has been running perfectly
> for 6.5 years.

I think the combination ovens are great if you have to save space, but I
prefer having separate units. I have frequently found that I wanted to zap
something in the m/w which I was cooking or roasting something in the
convection oven. Can't have it both ways. :-)

For a countertop convection oven I would have recommended the Farberware,
but the OP feels it's too expensive. I feel it's worth every penny. I had
an early Farberware model in the 1970s that cost $199. A couple of years
ago I bought the current model. Much more expensive, but really nice.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
_____________________________

http://tinypic.com/eikz78.jpg

Meet Mr. Bailey
Steve Calvin

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Joe Doe" > wrote in message
>
>>In combination mode, I assume you are restricted to non-metalic baking
>>trays?

> No, but IMO, you get better results with non-metallic. Metal trays allow
> the waves to enter from the open top only.

Good point Edwin. I have used metal but prefer to use my glassware.

--
Steve

Never read the fine print. There ain't no way you're going to like it.

Convection ovens Tom Del Rosso[_5_] General Cooking 30 29-07-2016 07:37 PM
Small Convection Ovens gregz General Cooking 3 25-07-2013 05:38 PM
Convection Ovens Scott O Baking 5 03-12-2006 04:29 PM
Convection Ovens Frank103 Baking 6 16-10-2006 08:06 PM
Convection Ovens / Fan Ovens??? Wayne Boatwright Cooking Equipment 8 03-02-2005 12:26 PM