Default How to CLEAN a wood knife block?

I want to clean all the dust and dirt that accumulates in the knife
slots of a typical wooden knife block (yes, even if your knives go in
clean). I ruined my last block by soaking it in a sink of soapy water
for a few minutes. (It swelled up and some slots wont accept knives any
longer. Also, even after leaving it to dry outside for a week, the
slots still contain enough moisture to wet the knives, and cause them
to rust). Question is, how can I properly clean the inside of the slots
with water on occasion, without ruining the block? I'm tired of having
to rinse my knives before using them, because I can't clean inside the
block!

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> I want to clean all the dust and dirt that accumulates in the knife
> slots of a typical wooden knife block (yes, even if your knives go in
> clean). I ruined my last block by soaking it in a sink of soapy water
> for a few minutes. (It swelled up and some slots wont accept knives any
> longer. Also, even after leaving it to dry outside for a week, the
> slots still contain enough moisture to wet the knives, and cause them
> to rust). Question is, how can I properly clean the inside of the slots
> with water on occasion, without ruining the block? I'm tired of having
> to rinse my knives before using them, because I can't clean inside the
> block!

Maybe you need a new block with proper clearance. I've been using the same
block for about 15 years and have no gunk in them. Only way to clean them
now is a very thin stiff brush or a metal scraper that just fits down in and
will clean the sides. There is no way to soak it and get it clean without
damage.

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> I want to clean all the dust and dirt that accumulates in the knife
> slots of a typical wooden knife block (yes, even if your knives go in
> clean). I ruined my last block by soaking it in a sink of soapy water
> for a few minutes. (It swelled up and some slots wont accept knives any
> longer. Also, even after leaving it to dry outside for a week, the
> slots still contain enough moisture to wet the knives, and cause them
> to rust). Question is, how can I properly clean the inside of the slots
> with water on occasion, without ruining the block? I'm tired of having
> to rinse my knives before using them, because I can't clean inside the
> block!

If your knives go in clean, where does the crud come from? I have never had
this problem in all the years of using a knife block. I would recommend
that you forget the block since it obviously is a problem for you. Get a
magnetic knife holder for the wall like one of these:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?so...etic+knife+bar

Susan

I haven't run into this problem - my knife block is a flat drawer insert
and easy to clean - but if it's mostly loose crud, you could probably
blow it out with canned air (like they sell for dusting electronics).
Otherwise, I'd try wrapping an old blade in a soft cloth with a little
lemon oil or such on it - an oil would clean the wood without ruining it
and won't rust your knives if it gets on them - and running it in and
out of the block until it comes out clean.