FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   hidden element oven and Pizza (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/70109-hidden-element-oven-pizza.html)

jibberjabber 17-09-2005 11:23 PM

hidden element oven and Pizza

We're in the market for a new electric range and are considering one with a
'hidden element' in the oven (whirlpool GR448LXPB). We regularly cook
pizzas and like to place them directly on the rack and crank up the heat for
the last couple minutes to really darken the crust bottom. Will this be
possible with a hidden element oven?
thx

Edwin Pawlowski 17-09-2005 11:33 PM

"jibberjabber" > wrote in message
> We're in the market for a new electric range and are considering one with
> a 'hidden element' in the oven (whirlpool GR448LXPB). We regularly cook
> pizzas and like to place them directly on the rack and crank up the heat
> for the last couple minutes to really darken the crust bottom. Will this
> be possible with a hidden element oven?
> thx

I don't see why not. What is the pizza sitting on? If it is on a tray or
stone, the element is hidden isn't it?

jibberjabber 18-09-2005 12:10 AM

> "jibberjabber" > wrote in message
>> We're in the market for a new electric range and are considering one with
>> a 'hidden element' in the oven (whirlpool GR448LXPB). We regularly cook
>> pizzas and like to place them directly on the rack and crank up the heat
>> for the last couple minutes to really darken the crust bottom. Will
>> this be possible with a hidden element oven?
>> thx

> I don't see why not. What is the pizza sitting on? If it is on a tray or
> stone, the element is hidden isn't it?

We initially cook it on a perforated metal pan then move it directly to the
wire rack (no pan) for the last few minutes. The pizza is 4-6" directly
over the red coil at that time. Will we lose this ability with a hidden
element?

Edwin Pawlowski 18-09-2005 12:12 AM

"jibberjabber" > wrote in message

> We initially cook it on a perforated metal pan then move it directly to
> the wire rack (no pan) for the last few minutes. The pizza is 4-6"
> directly over the red coil at that time. Will we lose this ability with a
> hidden element?

In that case, you will lose some of the infrared rays and the direct heat
from them.