CSG CSG is offline
Member

Question Microwave/convection ovens

I am interested in purchasing a built in microwave/convection oven combo and was wondering what the collective experience is with how well they microwave as that is what I will primarily use it for. Any advice /experience with specific brands?
Thanks,
CSG
Steve Calvin

CSG wrote:
> I am interested in purchasing a built in microwave/convection oven combo
> and was wondering what the collective experience is with how well they
> microwave as that is what I will primarily use it for. Any advice
> /experience with specific brands?
> Thanks,
> CSG

I've had a GE Profile Performance combo for about 5 years and still like
it very much. You'll use the convection and combo settings more than you
think in all likelihood. The combo setting cook faster but does take
some trial and error to get it down. The straight convection setting
also cooks faster/differently than a conventional oven. It doesn't heat
the kitchen up at all either.

I've also seen many reports from folks who have Sharps and they seem to
be very happy with those as well.

I'd say check 'em both out and see which one has more features/settings
that you think would fit your cooking style.

--
Steve
Vox Humana

"CSG" > wrote in message

> I am interested in purchasing a built in microwave/convection oven combo
> and was wondering what the collective experience is with how well they
> microwave as that is what I will primarily use it for. Any advice
> /experience with specific brands?
> Thanks,
> CSG

I've had the Sharp over-the-range microwave/convection oven for about two
years. I couldn't do without it. It works well in all modes and is easy to
use. There are two combination settings (bake and roast), pure microwave,
pure convection, and a sensor. There are a number of pre-programmed buttons
for things like reheat and popcorn as well as preprogrammed cycles for
common food items like chicken, turkey breast, and pork loin. There is even
a "slow cook" setting that I use frequently for braising that simulates a
crock pot. I use the thing for general baking needs and as a plate warmer.
It is a great appliance and well priced.

Edwin Pawlowski

"CSG" > wrote in message

> I am interested in purchasing a built in microwave/convection oven combo
> and was wondering what the collective experience is with how well they
> microwave as that is what I will primarily use it for. Any advice
> /experience with specific brands?
> Thanks,
> CSG

We have the GE over the range model for about 2 years. Works great and we'd
miss the second oven now that we have it.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Ward Abbott

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:05:30 +0000, CSG
> wrote:

>I am interested in purchasing a built in microwave/convection oven combo

I am curious why you would pay the price of a "major" appliance in
your kitchen that actually is just a convenience item.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:05:30 +0000, CSG
> > wrote:
>
>>I am interested in purchasing a built in microwave/convection oven combo

> I am curious why you would pay the price of a "major" appliance in
> your kitchen that actually is just a convenience item.

Because we like the major convenience of it. I am curious why you care how
we spend our money?

Steve Calvin

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
>
>>On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:05:30 +0000, CSG
> wrote:
>>

>>>I am interested in purchasing a built in microwave/convection oven combo

>>I am curious why you would pay the price of a "major" appliance in
>>your kitchen that actually is just a convenience item.

> Because we like the major convenience of it. I am curious why you care how
> we spend our money?

I'm with you Edwin. What's he care for?!?! I suppose he'd blow a gasket
if he knew what I have in my motorcycle and Corvette!

The usefulness of the combo really justifies the expense. From the looks
of Vox's post the GE and Sharps have virtually all of the same features.
So I'd probably get whichever one I could find the cheapest.

--
Steve
Monika Adamczyk

CSG wrote:
> I am interested in purchasing a built in microwave/convection oven combo
> and was wondering what the collective experience is with how well they
> microwave as that is what I will primarily use it for. Any advice
> /experience with specific brands?
> Thanks,
> CSG

I have Sharp Convection Microwave R-820Bk oven and I cook in it anything
I can fit into it. It cooks faster, uses less energy and doesn't heat
the kitchen as much as regular oven.

Monika
Ward Abbott

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:57:15 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>Because we like the major convenience of it. I am curious why you care how
>we spend our money?

Get YOUR butt off your shoulders...just asking.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:57:15 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
> wrote:
>

>>Because we like the major convenience of it. I am curious why you care
>>how
>>we spend our money?
>>

> Get YOUR butt off your shoulders...just asking.

So, I was just asking too. One difference is that I did not make any
personal disparaging remarks. No need to as people reading these posts can
make up their own minds about us.

Vox Humana

"Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:05:30 +0000, CSG
> > wrote:
>
> >I am interested in purchasing a built in microwave/convection oven combo

> I am curious why you would pay the price of a "major" appliance in
> your kitchen that actually is just a convenience item.

The price for the Sharp OTR convection/microwave is about $450. You really
can't buy many major appliances for that price. My mother paid that much
for her KitchenAid OTR microwave without the convection feature.