FDR

Default Cookware advice needed

I'm in the middle of trying to figure out what pots and pans I should get to
replace my old T-Fal set. I was going to get some All Clad because i like
the stainless interior vs. the Caphalon which seems to have some quirks and
because of the quality feel of the clad stuff.

I bought a 3 qt stainless saute pan from Clad, and have used it to cook up
pork chops. I had normally used a non-stick pan to cook chops and they
always worked out pretty well with browning without adding oil. I found out
that it's not possible to do that method with the SS interior so I have been
using olive oil to coat the pan first, and now they come out pretty well.
But, when it comes time for cleanup there's always trouble getting bits of
pork off the surface. I try a stiff brush with hot water first, then add
Bar Keepers Friend, and when that fails I try warming the pan on the stove
and brushing. It still doesn't clean up easily. So maybe I'm doing
something wrong with it, or is the stainless interior that difficult to work
with? I was going to buy some pots, but now I wonder if cleaning the
interior of the SS pots will be a challenge too. I was going to try to get
the brushed exterior Master Chef 2 versions, but if I need to use the
dishwasher to clean these pots right, then I will have to get a SS exterior.

Anyway, long story but is the stainless interiors that hard to clean on All
Clad? Maybe I should get a non-stick interior on the pots?

Thanks!

Rob

Steve Calvin

FDR wrote:
> I'm in the middle of trying to figure out what pots and pans I should get to
> replace my old T-Fal set. I was going to get some All Clad because i like
> the stainless interior vs. the Caphalon which seems to have some quirks and
> because of the quality feel of the clad stuff.
>
> I bought a 3 qt stainless saute pan from Clad, and have used it to cook up
> pork chops. I had normally used a non-stick pan to cook chops and they
> always worked out pretty well with browning without adding oil. I found out
> that it's not possible to do that method with the SS interior so I have been
> using olive oil to coat the pan first, and now they come out pretty well.
> But, when it comes time for cleanup there's always trouble getting bits of
> pork off the surface. I try a stiff brush with hot water first, then add
> Bar Keepers Friend, and when that fails I try warming the pan on the stove
> and brushing. It still doesn't clean up easily. So maybe I'm doing
> something wrong with it, or is the stainless interior that difficult to work
> with? I was going to buy some pots, but now I wonder if cleaning the
> interior of the SS pots will be a challenge too. I was going to try to get
> the brushed exterior Master Chef 2 versions, but if I need to use the
> dishwasher to clean these pots right, then I will have to get a SS exterior.
>
> Anyway, long story but is the stainless interiors that hard to clean on All
> Clad? Maybe I should get a non-stick interior on the pots?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rob

Check out QVC's Stainless 500 line. They're everything that they say.
I'm very please with the way they perform.
http://qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?nest...&search=submit

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?U14952ECB

--
Steve
Edwin Pawlowski

"Marcio" > wrote in message
> I usually pour white wine instead of water and make a sauce. Why
> waste those tasty pork bits.

Best solution.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

FDR

"Marcio" > wrote in message
> "FDR" > wrote:
>
>>I bought a 3 qt stainless saute pan from Clad, and have used it to cook up
>>pork chops. I had normally used a non-stick pan to cook chops and they
>>always worked out pretty well with browning without adding oil. I found
>>out
>>that it's not possible to do that method with the SS interior so I have
>>been
>>using olive oil to coat the pan first, and now they come out pretty well.
>>But, when it comes time for cleanup there's always trouble getting bits of
>>pork off the surface. I try a stiff brush with hot water first, then add
>>Bar Keepers Friend, and when that fails I try warming the pan on the stove
>>and brushing. It still doesn't clean up easily. So maybe I'm doing
>>something wrong with it, or is the stainless interior that difficult to
>>work
>>with?

> After you remove the pork chops from the pan, pour a cup of water onto
> the pan. The pan should still be hot, so the water will boil
> immediately. Scrape the pork bits with a spatula/cooking spoon. Then
> wash. No need for a stiff brush or Bar Keepers Friend.
>
> I usually pour white wine instead of water and make a sauce. Why
> waste those tasty pork bits.

Eh, the wife's not big into wine based sauces.

David Eastwood

"FDR" > wrote:

>"Marcio" > wrote in message
.. .
>> "FDR" > wrote:
>>
>>>I bought a 3 qt stainless saute pan from Clad, and have used it to cook up
>>>pork chops. I had normally used a non-stick pan to cook chops and they
>>>always worked out pretty well with browning without adding oil. I found
>>>out
>>>that it's not possible to do that method with the SS interior so I have
>>>been
>>>using olive oil to coat the pan first, and now they come out pretty well.
>>>But, when it comes time for cleanup there's always trouble getting bits of
>>>pork off the surface. I try a stiff brush with hot water first, then add
>>>Bar Keepers Friend, and when that fails I try warming the pan on the stove
>>>and brushing. It still doesn't clean up easily. So maybe I'm doing
>>>something wrong with it, or is the stainless interior that difficult to
>>>work
>>>with?

>> After you remove the pork chops from the pan, pour a cup of water onto
>> the pan. The pan should still be hot, so the water will boil
>> immediately. Scrape the pork bits with a spatula/cooking spoon. Then
>> wash. No need for a stiff brush or Bar Keepers Friend.
>>
>> I usually pour white wine instead of water and make a sauce. Why
>> waste those tasty pork bits.
>>

>Eh, the wife's not big into wine based sauces.

So use broth - any liquid will deglaze that pan, make a great sauce,
and ease the cleanup.

David Eastwood -

~john

FDR wrote:

> Anyway, long story but is the stainless interiors that hard to clean on All
> Clad? Maybe I should get a non-stick interior on the pots?

If you're using Bar Keeper's Friend, make sure you add a little water to
the powder to form a *thick* paste. Then use the thick paste on the
*dry* pan... apply a dab of the paste to a paper towel (folder up thick)
then scrub the surface of the pan. The abrasiveness of the paste will
take any surcace-food off in practically no time.

Also, if you're in a pinch, adding a table spoon or two of kosher salt
to the wet pan then scrubbed firmly with a paper-towel will work almost
as well as BKF.

~john (levelwave)
pltrgyst

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 02:35:23 GMT, "FDR" >
wrote:

>> I usually pour white wine instead of water and make a sauce. Why
>> waste those tasty pork bits.

>Eh, the wife's not big into wine based sauces.

Trade her, keep the pans.

Seriously, the wine shouldn't dominate over a bit of stock and perhaps a touch
of balsamic, herbs, and butter.

-- Larry

FDR

"David Eastwood" > wrote in message
> "FDR" > wrote:
>

>>"Marcio" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> After you remove the pork chops from the pan, pour a cup of water onto
>>> the pan. The pan should still be hot, so the water will boil
>>> immediately. Scrape the pork bits with a spatula/cooking spoon. Then
>>> wash. No need for a stiff brush or Bar Keepers Friend.
>>>
>>> I usually pour white wine instead of water and make a sauce. Why
>>> waste those tasty pork bits.
>>>

>>Eh, the wife's not big into wine based sauces.

> So use broth - any liquid will deglaze that pan, make a great sauce,
> and ease the cleanup.

I'll have to give it a try next time. Beef or chicken broth or doesn't
matter?

> David Eastwood -

~patches~

FDR wrote:

> I'm in the middle of trying to figure out what pots and pans I should get to
> replace my old T-Fal set. I was going to get some All Clad because i like
> the stainless interior vs. the Caphalon which seems to have some quirks and
> because of the quality feel of the clad stuff.
>
> I bought a 3 qt stainless saute pan from Clad, and have used it to cook up
> pork chops. I had normally used a non-stick pan to cook chops and they
> always worked out pretty well with browning without adding oil. I found out
> that it's not possible to do that method with the SS interior so I have been
> using olive oil to coat the pan first, and now they come out pretty well.
> But, when it comes time for cleanup there's always trouble getting bits of
> pork off the surface. I try a stiff brush with hot water first, then add
> Bar Keepers Friend, and when that fails I try warming the pan on the stove
> and brushing. It still doesn't clean up easily. So maybe I'm doing
> something wrong with it, or is the stainless interior that difficult to work
> with? I was going to buy some pots, but now I wonder if cleaning the
> interior of the SS pots will be a challenge too. I was going to try to get
> the brushed exterior Master Chef 2 versions, but if I need to use the
> dishwasher to clean these pots right, then I will have to get a SS exterior.
>
> Anyway, long story but is the stainless interiors that hard to clean on All
> Clad? Maybe I should get a non-stick interior on the pots?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rob

Rob, I have all SS pots and one SS fry pan. I have a couple of
non-stick fry pans and a couple of cast iron fry pans. Each have
different uses at least for me. I prefer SS to non-stick. Mine have a
thick SS clad bottom with an inner core to distribute the heat evenly.
My SS fry pan has a thicker copper clad bottom with an inner core. My
stock pots don't have this feature and are prone to more sticking. You
could deglaze the fry pan with water, stock, wine, or sherry. That
should take care of the stuck bits and provide you with a nice sauce.
If you don't want to do that, pour a little baking soda in the pan.
Cover with water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let sit.
The stuck bits will come off easily. I don't put my SS pots or pans in
the dishwasher because of the resulting spotting on the mirror exterior
finish. Sometimes a hazey coating or light staining appears on the
interior finish. When this happens I use Lagostina Cleaner -
Professional Stainless Steel and Copper cleaner to restore the inside
finish and keep the bottoms looking new. This is important to me
because all of my pots and pans are out where they can be seen. If you
want your pots and pans to keep their good looks and prevent interior
scratching use nylon, silicone, or wood utensils and always hang them
instead of stacking in a drawer. Don't use any metal utensils.
FDR

Maybe I could rephrase this question:

Are SS pots prone to sticking a lot and does using a dishwasher clean them
well?

"FDR" > wrote in message
> I'm in the middle of trying to figure out what pots and pans I should get
> to replace my old T-Fal set. I was going to get some All Clad because i
> like the stainless interior vs. the Caphalon which seems to have some
> quirks and because of the quality feel of the clad stuff.
>
> I bought a 3 qt stainless saute pan from Clad, and have used it to cook up
> pork chops. I had normally used a non-stick pan to cook chops and they
> always worked out pretty well with browning without adding oil. I found
> out that it's not possible to do that method with the SS interior so I
> have been using olive oil to coat the pan first, and now they come out
> pretty well. But, when it comes time for cleanup there's always trouble
> getting bits of pork off the surface. I try a stiff brush with hot water
> first, then add Bar Keepers Friend, and when that fails I try warming the
> pan on the stove and brushing. It still doesn't clean up easily. So
> maybe I'm doing something wrong with it, or is the stainless interior that
> difficult to work with? I was going to buy some pots, but now I wonder if
> cleaning the interior of the SS pots will be a challenge too. I was going
> to try to get the brushed exterior Master Chef 2 versions, but if I need
> to use the dishwasher to clean these pots right, then I will have to get a
> SS exterior.
>
> Anyway, long story but is the stainless interiors that hard to clean on
> All Clad? Maybe I should get a non-stick interior on the pots?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rob

S Viemeister

FDR wrote:

> Are SS pots prone to sticking a lot and does using a dishwasher clean them
> well?

They stick more than non-stick, but I find them to be quite
stick-resistant. I have some AllClad, and similar items from a couple of
other manufacturers.
They are very easy to clean, if I fill them with hot sudsy water before
sitting down to eat. By the time dinner is over and I've loaded the
dishwasher, all that's usually needed is a swish with a plastic scrubber
and a hot rinse. If there are still stubborn bits, dry baking soda on a
damp dishcloth will generally take care of it. If I have space in the
dishwasher, I will sometimes wash pans that way.

Sheila
Joe Cilinceon

FDR wrote:
> I'm in the middle of trying to figure out what pots and pans I should
> get to replace my old T-Fal set. I was going to get some All Clad
> because i like the stainless interior vs. the Caphalon which seems to
> have some quirks and because of the quality feel of the clad stuff.
>
> I bought a 3 qt stainless saute pan from Clad, and have used it to
> cook up pork chops. I had normally used a non-stick pan to cook
> chops and they always worked out pretty well with browning without
> adding oil. I found out that it's not possible to do that method
> with the SS interior so I have been using olive oil to coat the pan
> first, and now they come out pretty well. But, when it comes time for
> cleanup there's always trouble getting bits of pork off the surface. I try
> a stiff brush with hot water first, then add Bar Keepers
> Friend, and when that fails I try warming the pan on the stove and
> brushing. It still doesn't clean up easily. So maybe I'm doing
> something wrong with it, or is the stainless interior that difficult
> to work with? I was going to buy some pots, but now I wonder if
> cleaning the interior of the SS pots will be a challenge too. I was
> going to try to get the brushed exterior Master Chef 2 versions, but
> if I need to use the dishwasher to clean these pots right, then I
> will have to get a SS exterior.
> Anyway, long story but is the stainless interiors that hard to clean
> on All Clad? Maybe I should get a non-stick interior on the pots?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rob

I just purchased this set from Sam's Club
http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_s...11%20&fid=1S10

I find it easy to clean and they cook perfectly. I found them to be a very
good set of pots and pans especially for the price and what you get.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Joe Cilinceon

FDR wrote:
> Maybe I could rephrase this question:
>
> Are SS pots prone to sticking a lot and does using a dishwasher clean
> them well?

Mine are dishwasher safe but I've never felt the need to try it. I clean
mine under hot water and a little Dawn while hot in most cases. They clean
as easily as my non stick. If you fry meat and get that burnt on look just
simply leave the pan on the stove and pour in water (just like deglazing),
using a wooden spatula. I also preheat the pans on medium heat before
cooking with them. I add oil to SS once hot and non stick while cold.

--

Joe Cilinceon

~patches~

FDR wrote:

> Maybe I could rephrase this question:
>
> Are SS pots prone to sticking a lot and does using a dishwasher clean them
> well?

See my other reply. I started out with enamel coated pots and pans, the
nice ones with the mushrooms in oranges & browns on the side. I even
had the matching mushroom canisters Am I dating myself? When
non-stick came out I couldn't wait to get a set. Those lasted me about
5 yrs then I bought another set just like them which only lasted 6 yrs.
Meanwhile my lg cast iron fry pan bought used outlasted all three sets
and will still be going strong years after I'm gone. I converted to SS
and have never regretted it. I expect these pots and pans to outlive me
Once you are used to cooking in SS you will wonder why it took you so
long to convert. I don't put mine in the dishwasher out of choice not
that I couldn't. I don't use anything metal in any of my pots or pans
aside of steaming baskets or racks. DH has been known to put them in
the dishwasher on occasion. You might not want to give up non-stick
entirely. I have a couple of non-stick fry pans with Quantum 2 double
reinforced coating with a 6 yr warranty. I treat these with kid gloves
and they *never* go in the dishwasher. OTOH a well seasoned cast iron
fry pan is worth its weight in gold! It's the best non-stick surface
you can get but never use soap on it or put it into a dishwasher. IMO,
buy the very best pots and pans you can afford even if you have to buy
them one at a time. This is one area where I refuse to skimp. I'm now
eyeing up a couple of copper pots. I *need* these! DH said the mark of
a good cook is being able to cook in any kind of pot and I agree with
him but some pots take more skill than others. You will find SS is good
for some things, cast iron for others, non-stick for others, and copper
for others. You choose the pot or pan depending on what you are cooking.
~patches~

Joe Cilinceon wrote:

> FDR wrote:
>
>>Maybe I could rephrase this question:
>>
>>Are SS pots prone to sticking a lot and does using a dishwasher clean
>>them well?

> Mine are dishwasher safe but I've never felt the need to try it. I clean
> mine under hot water and a little Dawn while hot in most cases. They clean
> as easily as my non stick. If you fry meat and get that burnt on look just
> simply leave the pan on the stove and pour in water (just like deglazing),
> using a wooden spatula. I also preheat the pans on medium heat before
> cooking with them. I add oil to SS once hot and non stick while cold.

Interesting on the oil addition. Is there a reason for this?

Sheldon

~patches~ wrote:
> Joe Cilinceon wrote:
>
> > FDR wrote:
> >
> >>Maybe I could rephrase this question:
> >>
> >>Are SS pots prone to sticking a lot and does using a dishwasher clean
> >>them well?

> > Mine are dishwasher safe but I've never felt the need to try it. I clean
> > mine under hot water and a little Dawn while hot in most cases. They clean
> > as easily as my non stick. If you fry meat and get that burnt on look just
> > simply leave the pan on the stove and pour in water (just like deglazing),
> > using a wooden spatula. I also preheat the pans on medium heat before
> > cooking with them. I add oil to SS once hot and non stick while cold.
> >

> Interesting on the oil addition. Is there a reason for this?

Yes, it's called *cooking*.

Sheldon

FDR

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> FDR wrote:
>
>> Maybe I could rephrase this question:
>>
>> Are SS pots prone to sticking a lot and does using a dishwasher clean
>> them well?

> See my other reply. I started out with enamel coated pots and pans, the
> nice ones with the mushrooms in oranges & browns on the side. I even had
> the matching mushroom canisters Am I dating myself? When non-stick
> came out I couldn't wait to get a set. Those lasted me about 5 yrs then I
> bought another set just like them which only lasted 6 yrs. Meanwhile my lg
> cast iron fry pan bought used outlasted all three sets and will still be
> going strong years after I'm gone. I converted to SS and have never
> regretted it. I expect these pots and pans to outlive me Once you are
> used to cooking in SS you will wonder why it took you so long to convert.
> I don't put mine in the dishwasher out of choice not that I couldn't. I
> don't use anything metal in any of my pots or pans aside of steaming
> baskets or racks. DH has been known to put them in the dishwasher on
> occasion. You might not want to give up non-stick entirely. I have a
> couple of non-stick fry pans with Quantum 2 double reinforced coating with
> a 6 yr warranty. I treat these with kid gloves and they *never* go in the
> dishwasher. OTOH a well seasoned cast iron fry pan is worth its weight in
> gold! It's the best non-stick surface you can get but never use soap on
> it or put it into a dishwasher. IMO, buy the very best pots and pans you
> can afford even if you have to buy them one at a time. This is one area
> where I refuse to skimp. I'm now eyeing up a couple of copper pots. I
> *need* these! DH said the mark of a good cook is being able to cook in
> any kind of pot and I agree with him but some pots take more skill than
> others. You will find SS is good for some things, cast iron for others,
> non-stick for others, and copper for others. You choose the pot or pan
> depending on what you are cooking.

My intention was to buy only the stuf I need because I don't want too many
pots and pans around. And I also wanted to see if I could get the Master
Chef2 stuff since it's a bit cheaper and better performance, but not
dishwasher safe. If I could find a set that met my needs I would get it but
right now I planned on the following:

3 qt saute pan
1.5 qt saucepan (boiling veggies, warming soup, etc.), though I suppose 2
qt. would do, just like the dimensions better on the 1.5 qt.
3 qt. saucepan or saucier (rice, steaming veggies, making tomato sauce)
Non stick fry pan (if only for eggs a 8 ot 10" would do, if making pancakes
a 12")

Could probably do without a smaller fry pan right now, but if I had to chose
I'd get a 10" since I have a 7.5 "
Could probably do without an expensive stock or pasta pot. 6 qt. would
probably be fine for cooking some corn or making a half pound of pasta.

The fry and saute pans are too big for the dishwasher, so they could be
aluminum on the outside.
The pots could be aluminum on the outside if they were easy enough to clean,
otherwise SS.

Don't know if the performance of aluminum outside is really all that much
different than the SS.

Anyway, I've probably put way too much thought into this

pltrgyst

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:53:02 GMT, "FDR" >
wrote:

> If I could find a set that met my needs I would get it but
>right now I planned on the following:
>
>3 qt saute pan
>1.5 qt saucepan (boiling veggies, warming soup, etc.), though I suppose 2
>qt. would do, just like the dimensions better on the 1.5 qt.
>3 qt. saucepan or saucier (rice, steaming veggies, making tomato sauce)
>Non stick fry pan (if only for eggs a 8 ot 10" would do, if making pancakes
>a 12")
>
>Could probably do without a smaller fry pan right now, but if I had to chose
>I'd get a 10" since I have a 7.5 "
>Could probably do without an expensive stock or pasta pot. 6 qt. would
>probably be fine for cooking some corn or making a half pound of pasta.

Recommendation: in addition to volume, consider pan diameter, and match them as
well as possible to your burner sizes and spacing. For example, there's quite a
bit of variety in 3 qt. saute pan shapes.

-- Larry

Dee Randall

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> FDR wrote:
>
>> Maybe I could rephrase this question:
>>
>> Are SS pots prone to sticking a lot and does using a dishwasher clean
>> them well?

> See my other reply. I started out with enamel coated pots and pans, the
> nice ones with the mushrooms in oranges & browns on the side. I even had
> the matching mushroom canisters Am I dating myself?

These 'type' of pans are also made by Chantal (expensive) - long lasting,
high quality German enamel with heavy gauge carbon steel - I have a few
pieces. Particulary, tho, a wok shaped one which sticks to high heaven! I
use a small pot to reheat a small amount of tomato sauce.
Dee Dee

~patches~

FDR wrote:

> "~patches~" > wrote in message
>
>>FDR wrote:
>>

>>>Maybe I could rephrase this question:
>>>
>>>Are SS pots prone to sticking a lot and does using a dishwasher clean
>>>them well?

>>See my other reply. I started out with enamel coated pots and pans, the
>>nice ones with the mushrooms in oranges & browns on the side. I even had
>>the matching mushroom canisters Am I dating myself? When non-stick
>>came out I couldn't wait to get a set. Those lasted me about 5 yrs then I
>>bought another set just like them which only lasted 6 yrs. Meanwhile my lg
>>cast iron fry pan bought used outlasted all three sets and will still be
>>going strong years after I'm gone. I converted to SS and have never
>>regretted it. I expect these pots and pans to outlive me Once you are
>>used to cooking in SS you will wonder why it took you so long to convert.
>>I don't put mine in the dishwasher out of choice not that I couldn't. I
>>don't use anything metal in any of my pots or pans aside of steaming
>>baskets or racks. DH has been known to put them in the dishwasher on
>>occasion. You might not want to give up non-stick entirely. I have a
>>couple of non-stick fry pans with Quantum 2 double reinforced coating with
>>a 6 yr warranty. I treat these with kid gloves and they *never* go in the
>>dishwasher. OTOH a well seasoned cast iron fry pan is worth its weight in
>>gold! It's the best non-stick surface you can get but never use soap on
>>it or put it into a dishwasher. IMO, buy the very best pots and pans you
>>can afford even if you have to buy them one at a time. This is one area
>>where I refuse to skimp. I'm now eyeing up a couple of copper pots. I
>>*need* these! DH said the mark of a good cook is being able to cook in
>>any kind of pot and I agree with him but some pots take more skill than
>>others. You will find SS is good for some things, cast iron for others,
>>non-stick for others, and copper for others. You choose the pot or pan
>>depending on what you are cooking.

> My intention was to buy only the stuf I need because I don't want too many
> pots and pans around. And I also wanted to see if I could get the Master
> Chef2 stuff since it's a bit cheaper and better performance, but not
> dishwasher safe. If I could find a set that met my needs I would get it but
> right now I planned on the following:

My recommendation would be to stay away from anything that is not
dishwasher safe. The reason being is sometimes others <glancing at DH>
will put the pots in the dishwasher.

> 3 qt saute pan
> 1.5 qt saucepan (boiling veggies, warming soup, etc.), though I suppose 2
> qt. would do, just like the dimensions better on the 1.5 qt.
> 3 qt. saucepan or saucier (rice, steaming veggies, making tomato sauce)

I would go bigger to give you extra room so you don't have to worry
about boil overs.

> Non stick fry pan (if only for eggs a 8 ot 10" would do, if making pancakes
> a 12")

I have both 8 and 12 inch. I've heard there are issues with non-stick.
I don't like it when the non-stick surface starts pealing and sticking
to food so I treat mine very carefully. I actually prefer a well
seasoned cast iron fry pan to non-stick fry pans.

> Could probably do without a smaller fry pan right now, but if I had to chose
> I'd get a 10" since I have a 7.5 "
> Could probably do without an expensive stock or pasta pot. 6 qt. would
> probably be fine for cooking some corn or making a half pound of pasta.

I have 3 stock pots that came as a set. My main compaint is they don't
have the heavy clad bottom but they do the trick when used properly. I
have another sort of stock pot or at least I use it for that sometimes
that came with a deep and shallow steamer basket. It doesn't have a
heavy clad bottom either. I use it a lot for pasta but it really does
steamed potatoes good! If you steam your potatoes instead of boiling
them for potato salad you get a much nicer texture.

> The fry and saute pans are too big for the dishwasher, so they could be
> aluminum on the outside.
> The pots could be aluminum on the outside if they were easy enough to clean,
> otherwise SS.

What I don't like about aluminum and I do have one pressure cooker that
is aluminum is you really shouldn't cook anything high acid like tomato
based foods in them because it causes the aluminum to leach into the
food. I have a pressure canner that is aluminum but the leaching is a
not issue since all I'm doing is pressurizing sealed jars.

> Don't know if the performance of aluminum outside is really all that much
> different than the SS.

I would not use aluminum for anything other than my one pressure cooker
which is slated to be replaced.

> Anyway, I've probably put way too much thought into this

No really you haven't. As I said, buy the best you can afford even if
it means buying one piece at a time. Buy something that will out live
you. You won't regret it. Do the same thing with knives. It might
seem expensive but it will be well worth it.

Dimitri

"FDR" > wrote in message
news
> Maybe I could rephrase this question:
>
> Are SS pots prone to sticking a lot

Yes - if you use too little oil and/or forget to heat the pan adequatly if you
are using them for frying.

For general frying or roasting I use cast iron. Well seasoned CI is
sensational.

>and does using a dishwasher clean them well?

No - bad idea.

Dimitri

Dee Randall

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:

>>>See my other reply. I started out with enamel coated pots and pans, the
>>>nice ones with the mushrooms in oranges & browns on the side. I even had
>>>the matching mushroom canisters Am I dating myself?

>> These 'type' of pans are also made by Chantal (expensive) - long
>> lasting, high quality German enamel with heavy gauge carbon steel - I
>> have a few pieces. Particulary, tho, a wok shaped one which sticks to
>> high heaven! I use a small pot to reheat a small amount of tomato sauce.
>> Dee Dee

> My MIL, god rest her soul, had these very expensive enamel clad cast iron
> pots. I would have given my first born just to have one but they went
> alas to a non cooker in our family who has them proudly on displace
> collecting dust

Yes, I know the feeling. These things make me sad.
I always look at Chantal when I go into Kohl's (or is it T.J.Max) that has
them marked down often, but they are still too expensive to buy when I have
alternative pots. DH has a tendency to ruin them, so I'm not too interested
to replace.
Dee Dee***

***When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is
to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.
--Marcus Aurelius

Joe Cilinceon

~patches~ wrote:
> Joe Cilinceon wrote:
>
>> FDR wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe I could rephrase this question:
>>>
>>> Are SS pots prone to sticking a lot and does using a dishwasher
>>> clean them well?

>> Mine are dishwasher safe but I've never felt the need to try it. I
>> clean mine under hot water and a little Dawn while hot in most
>> cases. They clean as easily as my non stick. If you fry meat and get
>> that burnt on look just simply leave the pan on the stove and pour
>> in water (just like deglazing), using a wooden spatula. I also
>> preheat the pans on medium heat before cooking with them. I add oil
>> to SS once hot and non stick while cold.

> Interesting on the oil addition. Is there a reason for this?

I generally use olive oil for meats as I like the taste with some meats. I
also use penut oil if pan frying though I don't do that much anymore (I have
a deep fryer now). Eggs for example, I like with a little butter in the pan,
which I usually do in non stick, though not always. I also use cast iron and
steel woks which both need seasoning. I have never heard of needing to
season a SS or non-stick pan though.

--

Joe Cilinceon

~patches~

Dee Randall wrote:

> "~patches~" > wrote in message
>
>>Dee Randall wrote:

>>>These 'type' of pans are also made by Chantal (expensive) - long
>>>lasting, high quality German enamel with heavy gauge carbon steel - I
>>>have a few pieces. Particulary, tho, a wok shaped one which sticks to
>>>high heaven! I use a small pot to reheat a small amount of tomato sauce.
>>>Dee Dee

>>My MIL, god rest her soul, had these very expensive enamel clad cast iron
>>pots. I would have given my first born just to have one but they went
>>alas to a non cooker in our family who has them proudly on displace
>>collecting dust

> Yes, I know the feeling. These things make me sad.

Me too My MIL was a grand lady and I mean that with the utmost
respect. When I got married I knew almost nothing about cooking. My
mom was a great cook but it all came out of her head and kids bothered
her in the kitchen so I was lucky enough to be able to boil water. My
mom was one of those taste it once and could recreate but she never
passed on the recipes or that particular gift. When she was alive my
mom would come and put up canned goodies for me or do some of her best
dishes but still like a kid I was shooed out of the kitchen. It is
still one of my biggest regrets I didn't insist on her teaching me but
no ever, ever argured with my mom. My MIL taught me how to make
homemade spaghetti sauce something DH loves with a passion. She was
patient and gently corrected me when I was wrong. She taught me how to
do roasts, turkeys, stuffing, lasagne and so much more that I will be
forever grateful. My mom never did anything with pasta. I doubt I had
pasta once or twice before I was married. My MIL would come over or I
would go over there and we would have cooking marathons. The neat thing
was she welcomed kids into the kitchen. My kids thought she walked on
water. What a wonderful lady! Damn I miss her so much. It's so sad to
see her pots sitting there collecting dust. Anyone that knew her knew
great food and fellowship came from them. She wasn't above putting a
pot on the table either instead of a serving bowl something DH still
does much to my dismay.

> I always look at Chantal when I go into Kohl's (or is it T.J.Max) that has
> them marked down often, but they are still too expensive to buy when I have
> alternative pots. DH has a tendency to ruin them, so I'm not too interested
> to replace.

My DH is easier on pots and pans although he still occasionally sticks
one of my SS pot in the dishwasher He's a pretty good cook having
grown up in a household that welcomes kids into the kitchen. He even
has a few tricks of his own. Watching him and MIL, I decided our kids
would be in the kitchen with me right from the time they could sit in a
highchair. I've never regretted that decision

> Dee Dee***
>
> ***When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is
> to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.
> --Marcus Aurelius

~patches~

Joe Cilinceon wrote:

> ~patches~ wrote:
>
>>Joe Cilinceon wrote:

>>>Mine are dishwasher safe but I've never felt the need to try it. I
>>>clean mine under hot water and a little Dawn while hot in most
>>>cases. They clean as easily as my non stick. If you fry meat and get
>>>that burnt on look just simply leave the pan on the stove and pour
>>>in water (just like deglazing), using a wooden spatula. I also
>>>preheat the pans on medium heat before cooking with them. I add oil
>>>to SS once hot and non stick while cold.

>>Interesting on the oil addition. Is there a reason for this?

> I generally use olive oil for meats as I like the taste with some meats. I
> also use penut oil if pan frying though I don't do that much anymore (I have
> a deep fryer now). Eggs for example, I like with a little butter in the pan,
> which I usually do in non stick, though not always. I also use cast iron and
> steel woks which both need seasoning. I have never heard of needing to
> season a SS or non-stick pan though.

Ok, my rule of thumb is use a stonger olive oil for beef and a very
light olive oil for fish or chicken. Eggss and stirfry get very light
olive oil with maybe a pat of butter depending on the dish. Cast iron I
may use lard <shudder> or EVOO. I've never seasoned a SS pot or pan so
I was curious to when you added the oil. One you do it when the pan is
hot and the other when it is cold. Is there a reason for this?

Charles Gifford

"FDR" > wrote in message
news
> Maybe I could rephrase this question:
>
> Are SS pots prone to sticking a lot and does using a dishwasher clean them
> well?
>

> "FDR"

I have mostly All Clad. It goes into the dishwasher with no problems that I
have seen. If something does stick to the bottom, just put some water in the
bottom and let it soak for a while. Works well with all stainless steel
pans. All Clad is a Joy.

Charlie

Larry de March

FDR wrote:
> [...]

> 3 qt. saucepan or saucier (rice, steaming veggies, making tomato sauce)
> Non stick fry pan (if only for eggs a 8 ot 10" would do, if making pancakes
> a 12")
>
> Could probably do without a smaller fry pan right now, but if I had to chose
> I'd get a 10" since I have a 7.5 "
> Could probably do without an expensive stock or pasta pot. 6 qt. would
> probably be fine for cooking some corn or making a half pound of pasta.
>
> The fry and saute pans are too big for the dishwasher, so they could be
> aluminum on the outside.
> The pots could be aluminum on the outside if they were easy enough to clean,
> otherwise SS.
>
> Don't know if the performance of aluminum outside is really all that much
> different than the SS.
>
> Anyway, I've probably put way too much thought into this

For fry pans consider cast iron, which as has been noted above, when
when well seasoned, is virtually non-stick. I regularly prepare
pancakes in a cast iron pan whithout adding oil. If cash is a problem
(or even if it isn't!), check out the Salvation Army or other thrift
stores. I've collected a number of great 8, 10 and 12" fry pans made by
North American cast iron stove manufacturers of the past (eg Findlay)
for only a 2 or 3$ each. Half the pleasure is in the hunt for these
well-made fry pans , the other half in the using!

When looking for them, just make sure the outside bottom is flat and the
cooking surface is not pock-marked.

Good hunting

Larry
FDR

"Larry de March" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> clean, otherwise SS.
>>
>> Don't know if the performance of aluminum outside is really all that much
>> different than the SS.
>>
>> Anyway, I've probably put way too much thought into this
>>

> For fry pans consider cast iron, which as has been noted above, when when
> well seasoned, is virtually non-stick. I regularly prepare pancakes in a
> cast iron pan whithout adding oil. If cash is a problem (or even if it
> isn't!), check out the Salvation Army or other thrift stores. I've
> collected a number of great 8, 10 and 12" fry pans made by North American
> cast iron stove manufacturers of the past (eg Findlay) for only a 2 or 3$
> each. Half the pleasure is in the hunt for these well-made fry pans , the
> other half in the using!
>
> When looking for them, just make sure the outside bottom is flat and the

Actually, I forgot that I had a cast iron skillet. But I never use it
because I don't have much practice and haven't gotten used to it's
properties.

Joe Cilinceon

~patches~ wrote:
> Joe Cilinceon wrote:
>
>> ~patches~ wrote:

>>> Interesting on the oil addition. Is there a reason for this?

>> I generally use olive oil for meats as I like the taste with some
>> meats. I also use penut oil if pan frying though I don't do that
>> much anymore (I have a deep fryer now). Eggs for example, I like
>> with a little butter in the pan, which I usually do in non stick,
>> though not always. I also use cast iron and steel woks which both
>> need seasoning. I have never heard of needing to season a SS or
>> non-stick pan though.

> Ok, my rule of thumb is use a stonger olive oil for beef and a very
> light olive oil for fish or chicken. Eggss and stirfry get very light
> olive oil with maybe a pat of butter depending on the dish. Cast
> iron I may use lard <shudder> or EVOO. I've never seasoned a SS pot
> or pan so I was curious to when you added the oil. One you do it
> when the pan is hot and the other when it is cold. Is there a reason
> for this?

I'm not sure of the scientific reasons for when to add oils. The
instructions that came with my SS said to heat the pan then add the oil but
with my non-stick pans it said to add the oil to the pan while cold then
bring the pan to heat. I just assume the manufacture would have a reason for
it. I have been doing it this way since reading those instructions and all
my pans clean easily.

I did notice though that one of the old non stick pans that I replaced seem
to have the coating cracking away from the pan. We used to just put in the
oil when the pan was hot with it. I wonder if this might be the reason over
the long haul, but don't really know. I know I only cook with wood or rubber
with the non sticks and only use SS cooking utensels with my Wok and Cast
Iron.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Joe Cilinceon

Charles Gifford wrote:
> "FDR" > wrote in message
> news
>> Maybe I could rephrase this question:
>>
>> Are SS pots prone to sticking a lot and does using a dishwasher
>> clean them well?
>>

>> "FDR"

> I have mostly All Clad. It goes into the dishwasher with no problems
> that I have seen. If something does stick to the bottom, just put
> some water in the bottom and let it soak for a while. Works well with
> all stainless steel pans. All Clad is a Joy.
>
> Charlie

I agree with the All Clad being the best. I do have one of their 12" fry pan
and wouldn't part with it. The only draw back is they are very expensive,
but well worth it if you can afford them. Emeril ware is also excellent and
made by All Clad, I also like the handles better on the Emeril ware as they
seem to be at a different angle for better leverage.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Edwin Pawlowski

"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message

> I'm not sure of the scientific reasons for when to add oils. The
> instructions that came with my SS said to heat the pan then add the oil
> but with my non-stick pans it said to add the oil to the pan while cold
> then bring the pan to heat. I just assume the manufacture would have a
> reason for it. I have been doing it this way since reading those
> instructions and all my pans clean easily.

Adding the oil to a hot pan reduces sticking of the food.

Teflon pans are not to be heated over 400 degrees or they can give off a gas
that can be toxic to birds. Heating the oil along with the pan helps keep
the temperature in check and you are less likely to walk away from an empty
pan of the burner.

Sheldon

Joe Cilinceon wrote:
> FDR wrote:
> > I'm in the middle of trying to figure out what pots and pans I should
> > get to replace my old T-Fal set. I was going to get some All Clad
> > because i like the stainless interior vs. the Caphalon which seems to
> > have some quirks and because of the quality feel of the clad stuff.
> >
> > I bought a 3 qt stainless saute pan from Clad, and have used it to
> > cook up pork chops. I had normally used a non-stick pan to cook
> > chops and they always worked out pretty well with browning without
> > adding oil. I found out that it's not possible to do that method
> > with the SS interior so I have been using olive oil to coat the pan
> > first, and now they come out pretty well. But, when it comes time for
> > cleanup there's always trouble getting bits of pork off the surface. I try
> > a stiff brush with hot water first, then add Bar Keepers
> > Friend, and when that fails I try warming the pan on the stove and
> > brushing. It still doesn't clean up easily. So maybe I'm doing
> > something wrong with it, or is the stainless interior that difficult
> > to work with? I was going to buy some pots, but now I wonder if
> > cleaning the interior of the SS pots will be a challenge too. I was
> > going to try to get the brushed exterior Master Chef 2 versions, but
> > if I need to use the dishwasher to clean these pots right, then I
> > will have to get a SS exterior.
> > Anyway, long story but is the stainless interiors that hard to clean
> > on All Clad? Maybe I should get a non-stick interior on the pots?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Rob

> I just purchased this set from Sam's Club
> http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_s...11%20&fid=1S10
>
> I find it easy to clean and they cook perfectly. I found them to be a very
> good set of pots and pans especially for the price and what you get.

Those pots have those dumb glass lids with horrid metal trim where
schmutz collects. I don't call a set a bargain when it counts lids and
added tools as cookware pieces... and sets include those teeny weeny
toy r us sized pieces you'll never use... I've never found a use for a
1 qt pot or a 6" fry pan... I suppose those go with a kid's play house
tea set. Sets are a waste of money, half the pieces will never get
used but will probably forever take up precious storage space because
you won't find the courage to toss them in the trash. It makes far
more sense to buy individual open stock pieces and no need for them to
match... whenever I see someone has has all matching cookware I know
right away they can't cook. I think it very limiting when cookware is
purchased for appearance rather than suitability... I mean like why
does anyone need a $300 8qt designer pot, non-stick no less, for
boiling friggin' water. duh Anyone spends more than $20 for an 8qt
pasta/stock pot definitely has more dollars than brain cells.

Sheldon

Joe Cilinceon

Sheldon wrote:
>> I just purchased this set from Sam's Club
>> http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_s...11%20&fid=1S10
>>
>> I find it easy to clean and they cook perfectly. I found them to be
>> a very good set of pots and pans especially for the price and what
>> you get.

> Those pots have those dumb glass lids with horrid metal trim where
> schmutz collects. I don't call a set a bargain when it counts lids
> and added tools as cookware pieces... and sets include those teeny
> weeny toy r us sized pieces you'll never use... I've never found a
> use for a 1 qt pot or a 6" fry pan... I suppose those go with a kid's
> play house tea set. Sets are a waste of money, half the pieces will
> never get used but will probably forever take up precious storage
> space because you won't find the courage to toss them in the trash.
> It makes far more sense to buy individual open stock pieces and no
> need for them to match... whenever I see someone has has all matching
> cookware I know right away they can't cook. I think it very limiting
> when cookware is purchased for appearance rather than suitability...
> I mean like why does anyone need a $300 8qt designer pot, non-stick
> no less, for boiling friggin' water. duh Anyone spends more than $20
> for an 8qt pasta/stock pot definitely has more dollars than brain
> cells.
>
> Sheldon

Actually I use both the 1 qt pot (heating soups, boiling eggs, rice etc) and
the 6" fry pan (2 egg omelets, browning onions for a sandwich). As for the
lids I rarely use them but they do seal well. The Wok I would hardly call a
wok but it does make a good 4qt sauce pan. In my house we are cooking for 2
not 20 so don't need great quantities of food.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Joe Cilinceon

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message
>
>> I'm not sure of the scientific reasons for when to add oils. The
>> instructions that came with my SS said to heat the pan then add the
>> oil but with my non-stick pans it said to add the oil to the pan
>> while cold then bring the pan to heat. I just assume the manufacture
>> would have a reason for it. I have been doing it this way since
>> reading those instructions and all my pans clean easily.

> Adding the oil to a hot pan reduces sticking of the food.
>
> Teflon pans are not to be heated over 400 degrees or they can give
> off a gas that can be toxic to birds. Heating the oil along with the
> pan helps keep the temperature in check and you are less likely to
> walk away from an empty pan of the burner.

Thanks for the explanation Edwin.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Nancy Young

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote

> Teflon pans are not to be heated over 400 degrees or they can give off a
> gas that can be toxic to birds.

If you've ever smelled an overheated teflon pan, you'd know
they must be toxic to people, too. Gag!

nancy

~patches~

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message
>

>>I'm not sure of the scientific reasons for when to add oils. The
>>instructions that came with my SS said to heat the pan then add the oil
>>but with my non-stick pans it said to add the oil to the pan while cold
>>then bring the pan to heat. I just assume the manufacture would have a
>>reason for it. I have been doing it this way since reading those
>>instructions and all my pans clean easily.

> Adding the oil to a hot pan reduces sticking of the food.
>
> Teflon pans are not to be heated over 400 degrees or they can give off a gas
> that can be toxic to birds. Heating the oil along with the pan helps keep
> the temperature in check and you are less likely to walk away from an empty
> pan of the burner.

Now this is good to know. Thanks!
Sheldon

Joe Cilinceon wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> >> I just purchased this set from Sam's Club
> >> http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_s...11%20&fid=1S10
> >>
> >> I find it easy to clean and they cook perfectly. I found them to be
> >> a very good set of pots and pans especially for the price and what
> >> you get.

> > Those pots have those dumb glass lids with horrid metal trim where
> > schmutz collects. I don't call a set a bargain when it counts lids
> > and added tools as cookware pieces... and sets include those teeny
> > weeny toy r us sized pieces you'll never use... I've never found a
> > use for a 1 qt pot or a 6" fry pan... I suppose those go with a kid's
> > play house tea set. Sets are a waste of money, half the pieces will
> > never get used but will probably forever take up precious storage
> > space because you won't find the courage to toss them in the trash.
> > It makes far more sense to buy individual open stock pieces and no
> > need for them to match... whenever I see someone has has all matching
> > cookware I know right away they can't cook. I think it very limiting
> > when cookware is purchased for appearance rather than suitability...
> > I mean like why does anyone need a $300 8qt designer pot, non-stick
> > no less, for boiling friggin' water. duh Anyone spends more than $20
> > for an 8qt pasta/stock pot definitely has more dollars than brain
> > cells.
> >
> > Sheldon

> Actually I use both the 1 qt pot (heating soups, boiling eggs, rice etc) and
> the 6" fry pan (2 egg omelets, browning onions for a sandwich).

OmeletS? You said you cook for two... so why would any normal brained
person go through the entire operation twice... choose a normal sized
pan and do a 4 egg omelet and serve half to each. By cooking omelets
sequentially by the time the 2nd is ready the 1st has cooled and become
rubbery... or don't you two eat together. Imagine you two going out to
eat breakfast, and ordering omelets... and the short order cook makes
your omelets one-at-a-time... the waitress brings them to the table
one-at-a-time or holds the 1st until both are ready. Either way
doesn't sound like a very good deal to me.

With those teensy pans your stove must be a pigsty from all the
spatter... unless you do all your cooking in low gear. Actually there
is nothing you can do with a 1qt pot and a 6" pan you can't do much,
MUCH better and with far less effort with a 2qt pot and 9"-10" pan...
the slightly larger pieces are more versatile and require no more
effort to clean. I never could find a spatula that works in a 6" pan
and a 1 qt pot is too small for cooking even 1 cup of rice. There's a
2 qt covered sauce pan on my stove at all times, perfect size for 1 cup
of rice, perfect size for reheating most anything, perfect for sauteing
one onion or any small quantity, even cooking one burger, especially
cooking just one burger because its high sides prevent spatter from
fercockting up my stove... I actually do my frying in a 6 qt braisier,
great for browning sausage, meat balls, a mess of home fries, most
anything, especially frying a mess of pork chops or a steak, because
it's sides being twice as high as a fry pan my stove barely gets but a
spatter or two. And I've never boiled less than a half dozen eggs,
even if I only need two I always do more and do those full hard and
stick em in the fridge, there're a zillion dishes where I would use
hard cooked eggs if they were available... heck, I wouldn't waste the
time and energy to boil a potful of water for only two eggs. Your
teensy pieces of cookware are tantamont to "A" cup bras, unless you're
a child playing grown-up neither makes sense. When I visualize a full
grown man wrapping his mitt around a one quart pot I imagine he can't
unroll but two turns when he puts on a condom. <G>

Sheldon

pltrgyst

On 17 Sep 2005 10:57:32 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>.... Actually there
>is nothing you can do with a 1qt pot and a 6" pan you can't do much,
>MUCH better and with far less effort with a 2qt pot ....

Even a 2-cup saucepan is better than a two-quart suacepan for tasks like:

1. Clarifying reasonable amounts of butter.
2. Melting reasonable amounts of chocolate.
3. Melting and mixing jams for breakfast crepes.
4. Making small volume sauces.
5. Toasting small amounts of spices before grinding.

and on and on and on...

Sheldon, you remain a bombastic, ignorant, and offensively rude fool.

-- Larry