FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   Bread machine (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/68748-bread-machine.html)

emjtds 29-08-2005 10:14 PM

Bread machine

I'm looking for recommendations for a bread machine. I'm leaning toward a
Panasonic SD-YD250. Has anyone used this machine? I'd appreciate any
comments and recommendations. I've made bread by hand, and I realize that
it's generally a superior product, but it's a question of convenience.
Thanks

Bob Wheeler 29-08-2005 11:09 PM

emjtds wrote:
> I'm looking for recommendations for a bread machine. I'm leaning toward a
> Panasonic SD-YD250. Has anyone used this machine? I'd appreciate any
> comments and recommendations. I've made bread by hand, and I realize that
> it's generally a superior product, but it's a question of convenience.
> Thanks

Actually "made by hand" bread is not necessarily superior. I've made a
lot of bread, but can't do as well as my bread machine on the loaves it
does best -- plain white bread for sandwiches and such. My bread machine
controls the temperatures and rise much better than I can. Of course,
French bread and other good stuff can't be done well with a bread machine.

I have no info about the Panisonic. It's literature looks good. I
haven't seen a picture of the finished loaf. I prefer a traditional loaf
myself, and find the odd shaped things produced by some machines
rebarbarate. I've been happy with a Zojirashi for the white bread.

--
Bob Wheeler --- http://www.bobwheeler.com/
ECHIP, Inc. ---

[email protected] 30-08-2005 03:02 AM

I've been very happy with my Zojirushi Bread Maker. I also bought one
for my sister and they are
both still working after ten years or so.

[email protected] 01-09-2005 02:08 PM

My Hitachi is going on 16 and still goin' strong.

Ted Goldblatt 10-09-2005 05:27 PM

Bob Wheeler wrote:

[snip]
> Actually "made by hand" bread is not necessarily superior. I've made a
> lot of bread, but can't do as well as my bread machine on the loaves it
> does best -- plain white bread for sandwiches and such. My bread machine
> controls the temperatures and rise much better than I can. Of course,
> French bread and other good stuff can't be done well with a bread machine.

What recipe do you use for sandwich bread? I also have a Zoji, and my
attempts at sandwich bread didn't come up with a light/soft enough loaf
to meet the needs (my younger one likes peanut butter sandwiches folded
over, and all the sandwich bread I made in the thing had too much body -
the slices always broke when I tried to fold them). I probably didn't
try hard enough - the breads I like are kneaded and baked without
benefit of the bread machine, so it has been relegated to the garage,
but I'm willing to give it another try...

ted

Mike Nolan 10-09-2005 08:02 PM

Ted Goldblatt > writes:

>What recipe do you use for sandwich bread?

I recommend the 'Austrian Malt Bread' recipe in Donna German's book.

2 tbsp margarine, softened
1 cup water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
3 cups bread flour
2 tsp quick yeast
3 tbsp Carnation malt powder (the stuff you put on ice cream)

This is also a good recipe to experiment with. For example, substitute in
1/4 cup of rye flour and you have a nice light rye which you can spice up
with caraway or dill seed. You can make a darker rye if you throw in a
drop or two of molasses or a teaspoon of cocoa or instant coffee. You can
use Splenda instead of sugar (I can't tell the difference in taste), you
can use 1/4 cup of honey, brown sugar instead of white, a little cinnamon,
and so forth. For Christmas or Easter you can throw in a half teaspoon
of cardamom.

I don't recommend doubling the salt, which I did once by mistake. Even
the birds wouldn't eat that one!

I also like it with 1/4 cup of wheat germ added, but that seems to make for a
much denser loaf.
--
Mike Nolan

DawnK 10-09-2005 11:07 PM

"Ted Goldblatt" > wrote in message
> Bob Wheeler wrote:
>
> [snip]
>> Actually "made by hand" bread is not necessarily superior. I've made a
>> lot of bread, but can't do as well as my bread machine on the loaves it
>> does best -- plain white bread for sandwiches and such. My bread machine
>> controls the temperatures and rise much better than I can. Of course,
>> French bread and other good stuff can't be done well with a bread
>> machine.

> What recipe do you use for sandwich bread? I also have a Zoji, and my
> attempts at sandwich bread didn't come up with a light/soft enough loaf to
> meet the needs (my younger one likes peanut butter sandwiches folded over,
> and all the sandwich bread I made in the thing had too much body - the
> slices always broke when I tried to fold them). I probably didn't try
> hard enough - the breads I like are kneaded and baked without benefit of
> the bread machine, so it has been relegated to the garage, but I'm willing
> to give it another try...
>
> ted

I like bread kneaded with my Kitchenaid mixer and baked in the oven, better.
Yum. I haven't made bread in a long time!

I got a bread machine, for Christmas one year, but it always overcooked my
bread, unless I was there to stop the cycle about 15 minutes early. To me,
that was defeating the purpose of a bread machine (set it and forget it).
It's a regal, so not a real top brand. Have always wanted to just try a
different brand to see if I would like it better, but have never gotten
around to it.

Dawn