Gary Grathen

Default Oneida Silverware "Stinky" Metallic Taste and Smell?

I have a set of "silver color" Oneida silverware with the word "Oneida" on
the handle in block letters. It has no discernable taste or smell.

However, I have the same pattern with the word "Oneida" on the handle in
script. That set has a "silver-coppery" color and has a "stinky" metallic
taste and smell, especially noticable when eating food like yogurt.

Can anyone explain why one set is OK and the other set "stinks"?

Thanks.

Gary Grathen
DeLand, FL

-L.

Gary Grathen wrote:
> I have a set of "silver color" Oneida silverware with the word "Oneida" on
> the handle in block letters. It has no discernable taste or smell.
>
> However, I have the same pattern with the word "Oneida" on the handle in
> script. That set has a "silver-coppery" color and has a "stinky" metallic
> taste and smell, especially noticable when eating food like yogurt.
>
> Can anyone explain why one set is OK and the other set "stinks"?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gary Grathen
> DeLand, FL

I would suspect the second set is silverplate. Have you looked up the
pattern on the internet to see what the differences are?

-L.

Sheldon

Gary Grathen wrote:
> I have a set of "silver color" Oneida silverware with the word "Oneida" on
> the handle in block letters. It has no discernable taste or smell.
>
> However, I have the same pattern with the word "Oneida" on the handle in
> script. That set has a "silver-coppery" color and has a "stinky" metallic
> taste and smell, especially noticable when eating food like yogurt.
>
> Can anyone explain why one set is OK and the other set "stinks"?

Obviously the one you say is "silver color" is stainless steel (no
smell/taste... the "silver-coppery" one is essentially cheaply plated
over pot metal (pseudo vermeil), ie. crap, toss it in the trash.

Sheldon

S Viemeister

Sheldon wrote:

> Gary Grathen wrote:
> > I have a set of "silver color" Oneida silverware with the word "Oneida" on
> > the handle in block letters. It has no discernable taste or smell.
> >
> > However, I have the same pattern with the word "Oneida" on the handle in
> > script. That set has a "silver-coppery" color and has a "stinky" metallic
> > taste and smell, especially noticable when eating food like yogurt.
> >
> > Can anyone explain why one set is OK and the other set "stinks"?

> Obviously the one you say is "silver color" is stainless steel (no
> smell/taste... the "silver-coppery" one is essentially cheaply plated
> over pot metal (pseudo vermeil), ie. crap, toss it in the trash.

'Silver-coppery' sounds like silver or silverplate, which is in need of
polishing.
I believe that most of the Oneida slverplate is over brass.

Sheila
Gary Grathen

Thanks for the replies on the spoons. I think we got those plated spoons
from eBay or Goodwill to supplement our set of stainless silverware of the
same pattern. I'll get rid of the "stinkers" :-)

Gary Grathen
DeLand, FL

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > Gary Grathen wrote:
> > > I have a set of "silver color" Oneida silverware with the word

"Oneida" on
> > > the handle in block letters. It has no discernable taste or smell.
> > >
> > > However, I have the same pattern with the word "Oneida" on the handle

in
> > > script. That set has a "silver-coppery" color and has a "stinky"

metallic
> > > taste and smell, especially noticable when eating food like yogurt.
> > >
> > > Can anyone explain why one set is OK and the other set "stinks"?

> > Obviously the one you say is "silver color" is stainless steel (no
> > smell/taste... the "silver-coppery" one is essentially cheaply plated
> > over pot metal (pseudo vermeil), ie. crap, toss it in the trash.
> >

> 'Silver-coppery' sounds like silver or silverplate, which is in need of
> polishing.
> I believe that most of the Oneida slverplate is over brass.
>
> Sheila

Isaac Wingfield

In article t>,
"Gary Grathen" > wrote:

> I have a set of "silver color" Oneida silverware with the word "Oneida" on
> the handle in block letters. It has no discernable taste or smell.
>
> However, I have the same pattern with the word "Oneida" on the handle in
> script. That set has a "silver-coppery" color and has a "stinky" metallic
> taste and smell, especially noticable when eating food like yogurt.
>
> Can anyone explain why one set is OK and the other set "stinks"?

If the stinky set is just tarnished silver (or silver plate) a good
polishing should take care of both problems at once.

Isaac
Gary Grathen

Thanks! I'll try to salvage the "stinky" silverware by polishing them
first.

Gary Grathen
DeLand, FL

"Isaac Wingfield" > wrote in message
> In article t>,
> "Gary Grathen" > wrote:
>
> > I have a set of "silver color" Oneida silverware with the word "Oneida"

on
> > the handle in block letters. It has no discernable taste or smell.
> >
> > However, I have the same pattern with the word "Oneida" on the handle in
> > script. That set has a "silver-coppery" color and has a "stinky"

metallic
> > taste and smell, especially noticable when eating food like yogurt.
> >
> > Can anyone explain why one set is OK and the other set "stinks"?

> If the stinky set is just tarnished silver (or silver plate) a good
> polishing should take care of both problems at once.
>
> Isaac

Vox Humana

"Gary Grathen" > wrote in message
k.net...
> Thanks! I'll try to salvage the "stinky" silverware by polishing them
> first.

One way to remove the tarnish is to put some aluminum foil into a
non-reactive container (plastic, glass, ceramic) and sprinkel it with a
generous amount of baking soda. Lay the item on the foil and cover with
boiling water. Let them sit in the water for a couple of hours.

S Viemeister

Vox Humana wrote:

> "Gary Grathen" > wrote in message
> k.net...
> > Thanks! I'll try to salvage the "stinky" silverware by polishing them
> > first.
> >

> One way to remove the tarnish is to put some aluminum foil into a
> non-reactive container (plastic, glass, ceramic) and sprinkel it with a
> generous amount of baking soda. Lay the item on the foil and cover with
> boiling water. Let them sit in the water for a couple of hours.

It'd be quicker to just wipe it down with silver polish, then rinse
thoroughly!
Vox Humana

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:
> >
> > "Gary Grathen" > wrote in message
> > k.net...
> > > Thanks! I'll try to salvage the "stinky" silverware by polishing them
> > > first.
> > >

> > One way to remove the tarnish is to put some aluminum foil into a
> > non-reactive container (plastic, glass, ceramic) and sprinkel it with a
> > generous amount of baking soda. Lay the item on the foil and cover with
> > boiling water. Let them sit in the water for a couple of hours.

> It'd be quicker to just wipe it down with silver polish, then rinse
> thoroughly!

If you have silver polish, it would.

Mr Libido Incognito

Vox Humana wrote on 25 Aug 2005 in rec.food.cooking

> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> > Vox Humana wrote:
> > >
> > > "Gary Grathen" > wrote in message
> > > k.net...
> > > >
> > > One way to remove the tarnish is to put some aluminum foil into
> > > a non-reactive container (plastic, glass, ceramic) and sprinkel
> > > it with a generous amount of baking soda. Lay the item on the
> > > foil and cover with boiling water. Let them sit in the water
> > > for a couple of hours.

> > It'd be quicker to just wipe it down with silver polish, then
> > rinse thoroughly!

> If you have silver polish, it would.

You can use filtered water....but not high mineral content water.

--
The eyes are the mirrors....
But the ears...Ah the ears.
Isaac Wingfield

In article >,
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> "Gary Grathen" > wrote in message
> k.net...
> > Thanks! I'll try to salvage the "stinky" silverware by polishing them
> > first.
> >

> One way to remove the tarnish is to put some aluminum foil into a
> non-reactive container (plastic, glass, ceramic) and sprinkel it with a
> generous amount of baking soda. Lay the item on the foil and cover with
> boiling water. Let them sit in the water for a couple of hours.

There's also that clear liquid stuff you just dip the 'ware in. Works
OK, but it makes your hands stinky -- REAL stinky.

None of the "chemical" methods will give the silver that wonderful
patina, though.

Isaac
Dee Randall

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> Vox Humana wrote:
>>
>> "Gary Grathen" > wrote in message
>> k.net...
>> > Thanks! I'll try to salvage the "stinky" silverware by polishing them
>> > first.
>> >

>> One way to remove the tarnish is to put some aluminum foil into a
>> non-reactive container (plastic, glass, ceramic) and sprinkel it with a
>> generous amount of baking soda. Lay the item on the foil and cover with
>> boiling water. Let them sit in the water for a couple of hours.

> It'd be quicker to just wipe it down with silver polish, then rinse
> thoroughly!

Probably it would be quicker. But if you have a lot of silverware, this is
a quick way to do it all at once. If you want to stick it in the dishwasher
afterwards that will save you some time.

Here is my version, which takes 5 minutes (perhaps 10). I know this works
because I had to clean a ton (hyperbole) of silverware that had been sitting
in a house for probably 30-50 years. It did take most off in 5 minutes.
Some I did have to do more soaking time.

1. Fill sink full of steaming hot water.

2. Mix 2-tablespoons salt and 2-tablespoons baking soda in bowl.

3. Add mixture to sink of hot water.

4. Cut a small sheet of aluminum foil and push it to the bottom of sink.

5. Dip silver items. Most tarnish will slide off. For stubborn stains, allow
them to sit for up to 5-minutes at a time.

6. Rinse well.

7. Dry.

Why do my teas now taste bland or metallic to me? Jacques Tea 2 06-04-2016 07:24 PM
Shape of yixing and how it affects taste/smell Melinda Tea 5 17-03-2007 05:57 AM
Oneida Silverware "Stinky" Metallic Taste and Smell? Gary Grathen General Cooking 12 18-09-2005 11:49 AM
salty taste, off smell pp Winemaking 0 25-06-2004 08:25 PM
1:3:4:2 sight : smell : taste : overall tasting guide Leo Bueno Wine 1 20-02-2004 01:49 PM