TG

Default Anyone buy small appliances on ebay?

I am thinking about a good stand mixer for my wife, who loves to bake
but hates her old tired kitchenaid hand mixer. After browsing some dept
store web pages I see these items are rather pricey, but ebay seems to
have some good deals on them, particularly Kitchenaid (she likes their
products)- but I'm a tad wary of buying something sight unseen like that.

Anyone else here done this?

thanks
Vox Humana

"TG" > wrote in message news:XccEe.140597$9A2.4569@edtnps89...
> I am thinking about a good stand mixer for my wife, who loves to bake
> but hates her old tired kitchenaid hand mixer. After browsing some dept
> store web pages I see these items are rather pricey, but ebay seems to
> have some good deals on them, particularly Kitchenaid (she likes their
> products)- but I'm a tad wary of buying something sight unseen like that.

I buy from the internet, but not so much Ebay, as from established
retailers. The key is to try to find some ratings for the seller and
understand the return policy. Ebay sellers are rated and you can look at
customer comments. That should give you a good idea of who you are dealing
with. Really cheap KA mixers may be refurbished units in "white boxes" or
purchased in a liquidation sale.

You can often find KA mixers at good prices from retailers like Costco. In
addition, the TV shopping networks often sell KA products. While you are at
it, you might consider the Wolfgang Puck mixer mentioned in this group. It
has a metal housing, 700W motor, and comes with TWO bowls, a nice splash
guard and the usual attachments. Additional attachments are available, and
unlike the KA mixer, you can attach a blender jar to the second power
take-off. You can see it here or get it from Sam's Club at about $20 less,
with no shipping charges and it includes the optional blender jar which is a
$20 value. Furthermore, the extra bowl would cost at least $40 if you were
buying one for a KA mixer. That makes the WP puck mixer a great value,
especially from Sam's Club. If you don't have a membership and don't know
anyone with a membership, you can get a "day pass" at the club which will
permit you make a purchase with an "up-charge" of around 15%.

HSN http://tinyurl.com/93gt3
Sam's Club http://tinyurl.com/7qe49

Personally, if I were going to replace my KA stand mixer, I would probably
get this one. HSN has an unconditional 30 day return policy, so if for some
reason you get the mixer and you don't like it, you can return it within 30
days and get your money back, including shipping. There are about 40
customer review you can read to see how others who own the mixer like it.

TG

Vox Humana wrote:
> "TG" > wrote in message news:XccEe.140597$9A2.4569@edtnps89...
>
>>I am thinking about a good stand mixer for my wife, who loves to bake
>>but hates her old tired kitchenaid hand mixer. After browsing some dept
>>store web pages I see these items are rather pricey, but ebay seems to
>>have some good deals on them, particularly Kitchenaid (she likes their
>>products)- but I'm a tad wary of buying something sight unseen like that.
>>

> I buy from the internet, but not so much Ebay, as from established
> retailers. The key is to try to find some ratings for the seller and
> understand the return policy. Ebay sellers are rated and you can look at
> customer comments. That should give you a good idea of who you are dealing
> with. Really cheap KA mixers may be refurbished units in "white boxes" or
> purchased in a liquidation sale.
>
> You can often find KA mixers at good prices from retailers like Costco. In
> addition, the TV shopping networks often sell KA products. While you are at
> it, you might consider the Wolfgang Puck mixer mentioned in this group. It
> has a metal housing, 700W motor, and comes with TWO bowls, a nice splash
> guard and the usual attachments. Additional attachments are available, and
> unlike the KA mixer, you can attach a blender jar to the second power
> take-off. You can see it here or get it from Sam's Club at about $20 less,
> with no shipping charges and it includes the optional blender jar which is a
> $20 value. Furthermore, the extra bowl would cost at least $40 if you were
> buying one for a KA mixer. That makes the WP puck mixer a great value,
> especially from Sam's Club. If you don't have a membership and don't know
> anyone with a membership, you can get a "day pass" at the club which will
> permit you make a purchase with an "up-charge" of around 15%.
>
> HSN http://tinyurl.com/93gt3
> Sam's Club http://tinyurl.com/7qe49
>
> Personally, if I were going to replace my KA stand mixer, I would probably
> get this one. HSN has an unconditional 30 day return policy, so if for some
> reason you get the mixer and you don't like it, you can return it within 30
> days and get your money back, including shipping. There are about 40
> customer review you can read to see how others who own the mixer like it.

thanks - I'll check in to that, meanwhile my wanderings have found a few
things that interest me, such as
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...4995 720&rd=1
and
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...5445 523&rd=1
Don Wiss

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:57:43 GMT, TG > wrote:

>Anyone else here done this?

I have bought several of the small Krups oval coffee grinders. Most were
never used. Presumably received at one time as gifts. I did this as Krups
redesigned them and the new ones no longer grind nuts well. So I was very
particular about getting the old style.

Don Wiss

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:47:08 GMT, TG > wrote:

>thanks - I'll check in to that, meanwhile my wanderings have found a few
>things that interest me, such as
>http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...4995 720&rd=1
>and
>http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...5445 523&rd=1

My suggestion is to be picky and to not rush into a purchase. If there are
two now there will be two different ones next week, and two different ones
the week after that, etc. So accept new only, and you can check out what
past ones went for before bidding.

Vox Humana wrote:

HSN has an unconditional 30 day return policy, so if for some
> reason you get the mixer and you don't like it, you can return it within 30
> days and get your money back, including shipping.

Are you kidding? What's the magic word? I have NEVER had eith HSN or
QVC refund MY cost to ship back to them.

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> Vox Humana wrote:
>

> HSN has an unconditional 30 day return policy, so if for some
> > reason you get the mixer and you don't like it, you can return it within

30
> > days and get your money back, including shipping.

> Are you kidding? What's the magic word? I have NEVER had eith HSN or
> QVC refund MY cost to ship back to them.

They refund what they charged to ship the item to you. You are correct that
you have to pay to ship the item back to them. For instance, I bought a
watch and the cost of the shipping was $6.95. I sent it back and it cost 85
cents in postage. So I was out the 85 cents, but they refunded the cost of
the watch plus the $6.95 shipping and handling fee.

Vox Humana wrote:
You are correct that
> you have to pay to ship the item back to them.

Thinking back, there WAS a time when QVC auto-shipped an incorrect
item. I sent it back and they DID refund my shipping fee, but it took
two calls to customer service.

Maria Teresa Chupacabra

"TG" > wrote in message news:XccEe.140597$9A2.4569@edtnps89...
>I am thinking about a good stand mixer for my wife, who loves to bake but
>hates her old tired kitchenaid hand mixer. After browsing some dept store
>web pages I see these items are rather pricey, but ebay seems to have some
>good deals on them, particularly Kitchenaid (she likes their products)- but
>I'm a tad wary of buying something sight unseen like that.
>
> Anyone else here done this?

I bought a Saeco espresso machine on eBay, and the saving was considerable.
The product works just fine, and replacement parts, when they're ultimately
required, are readily available.

Know what you're buying and what it's worth, and look for sellers who've
been on eBay awhile and have positive feedback.

Good luck.

BC Brian

I've bought some small electronic and a postal scale on eBay without any
problems.
As already mentioned check out the seller's feedback ratings and feedback
comments.
You may want to contact the seller to find out the brand name of the item
they are selling.
Also you should find out how much you are going to be charged for shipping
and handling before bidding. After adding in the S&H sometimes it is cheaper
to buy locally.

Brian