Default Induction cooktop Safe?

Hi All,

Just would like to ask, is induction cooktop safe?

Most people said that it is safe, because it produce no flame, and
with auto shut off, over heat protection etc...

But how about the Electromanagtic Wave that it generates? It is
harmful to human body?

TIA

pltrgyst

On 27 Apr 2005 01:30:41 -0700, " > wrote:

>But how about the Electromanagtic Wave that it generates? It is
>harmful to human body?

Only if you sit on it.

-- Larry

Donald,

Thanks for the info. How can I measure the strength of the
Electromagnetic Wave?

Wouldn't it leak from the side / edga of the cooktop?

TIA.

Donald Tsang wrote:

> Most modern Induction ranges (including the Sunpentown we have) auto-
> detect the presence of induction-compatible objects (hopefully

cookware)
> on them, and turn off rings that aren't getting that feedback.
>
> Therefore, if your induction burner is working properly, there
> really shouldn't be any significant magnetic waves coming out from
> it, since they'll be completely absorbed by the pan.
>
> I wouldn't leave my induction burner on high, with or without a pan
> on it, and walk away, but I wouldn't do that with any burner. We
> have, though, used the auto-temperature settings to simmer stews
> for hours while we were out of the house.
>

> Donald
>
> PS The term "Electromagnetic Waves" usually refers to photons
> (light, radio, etc).

FDR

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi All,
>

> Just would like to ask, is induction cooktop safe?
>

> Most people said that it is safe, because it produce no flame, and
> with auto shut off, over heat protection etc...
>

> But how about the Electromanagtic Wave that it generates? It is
> harmful to human body?

EMF amplitude drops of exponentially from the source, so unless you are an
inch away it would seem doubtful you would get any effect. Nobody worries
about the EMF from a hairdryer, and that is placed preety close to ones
head.

FDR wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> EMF amplitude drops of exponentially from the source, so unless you

are an
> inch away it would seem doubtful you would get any effect. Nobody

worries
> about the EMF from a hairdryer, and that is placed preety close to

ones
> head.

But Radio WAfe, Gamma Ray and Laser are also another form of EMF right.
Why are they so harmful?

FDR

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> FDR wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> EMF amplitude drops of exponentially from the source, so unless you

> are an
>> inch away it would seem doubtful you would get any effect. Nobody

> worries
>> about the EMF from a hairdryer, and that is placed preety close to

> ones
>> head.

> But Radio WAfe, Gamma Ray and Laser are also another form of EMF right.
> Why are they so harmful?

You are comparing apples to oranges. The frequencies of those source are
incredibly higher than house AC power, so they have different properties.

> FDR wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> >
> > EMF amplitude drops of exponentially from the source, so unless you

> are an
> > inch away it would seem doubtful you would get any effect. Nobody

> worries
> > about the EMF from a hairdryer, and that is placed preety close to

> ones
> > head.

> But Radio WAfe, Gamma Ray and Laser are also another form of EMF right.
> Why are they so harmful?

Radio waves aren't particularly harmful, unless you are sitting on
the broadcast antenna of a high power station. Other than that the
big difference is frequency and wavelength. Higher frequency means
shorter wavelengths. When they get short enough to interact with
molecules, then it gets dicy, but that's microwave and beyond.
Also, lasers aren't especially harmful except if they hit your
eye (which is designed to receive light and a laser is a more
powerful light source than your eye is meant to handle). Some
lasers will heat things up, so they could burn you, but that is
no different using a magnifying glass to burn things, just
a more concentrated source.

As for an indcution cooktop, first induction is a different propogation
than EM waves. They are related, but not the same. Yes, there will
also be some EM waves created, but the induction part is about
magnetic eddy currents in metal. Non-magnetic objects will not be
affected. That's why you have to use the right kind of pots, the
induction won't heat up aluminum or some types of stainless steel.
I would not think the acutal EM radiation to be any more than
your average toaster, and possibly less.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

> You are comparing apples to oranges. The frequencies of those source
are
> incredibly higher than house AC power, so they have different

properties.

Then how about power sub-station? They are of the same frequency right,
and still dangerous.

Robert Klute

On 28 Apr 2005 18:37:12 -0700, " >
wrote:

>> You are comparing apples to oranges. The frequencies of those source are
>> incredibly higher than house AC power, so they have different properties.

>Then how about power sub-station? They are of the same frequency right,
>and still dangerous.

Water out of the tap isn't dangerous. Water out of a fire hose or a 4
inch main is. It is a matter of 'volume'.

FDR

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>> You are comparing apples to oranges. The frequencies of those source

> are
>> incredibly higher than house AC power, so they have different

> properties.
>
> Then how about power sub-station? They are of the same frequency right,
> and still dangerous.

Even near substations the risk is extremely low. You'd be more likely to
die from electrocution before radiation.