FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   Coffee Roaster (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/54630-coffee-roaster.html)

Kent 21-02-2005 06:37 AM

Coffee Roaster

Does anyone roast their own green coffee beans? What roaster do you use?
Where do you get the beans? Can you find beans for $5/lb.? Is the effort
worthwhile?
Thanks for all.
Kent

Pierre 21-02-2005 04:18 PM

Kent wrote:
> Does anyone roast their own green coffee beans? What roaster do you

use?
> Where do you get the beans? Can you find beans for $5/lb.? Is the

effort
> worthwhile?
> Thanks for all.
> Kent

Kent, I roasted my beans for 2 years. Used a Melitta roaster (had 3 of
them). I don't know if they're still made. Pick up a decent book on
coffee to learn the ins and outs of home roasting, or email me for more
details.
I bought the beans from Home Economist, a local specialty store which
sells great foods in bulk, and also roasts their own coffee on site.
I'm sure you can pick some beans up on the web.

I was buying green coffee for anywhere from 3-11.00 lb. If you're
looking to do it just to save money, spend the extra dough for a good
freshly already roasted bean from a supplier with good volume, and
spare yourself "the experience". Home roasting is a bit of a hassle,
and smells up the house. Its not the best smell; more of nutty aromas.
I had two neighbors pounding on the door to make sure the place wasn't
on fire. It does however result on superb coffee. Ah yes, the good old
days.

Pierre

Brian Barnson 21-02-2005 04:28 PM

"Kent" > wrote in message
> Does anyone roast their own green coffee beans? What roaster do you use?
> Where do you get the beans? Can you find beans for $5/lb.? Is the effort
> worthwhile?
> Thanks for all.
> Kent

Check out alt.coffee, coffeegeek.com and http://www.sweetmarias.com/
Brian, in Cedar
yes, it's worthwhile.

Will 21-02-2005 04:56 PM

Kent wrote:
> Does anyone roast their own green coffee beans? What roaster do you

use?
> Where do you get the beans? Can you find beans for $5/lb.? Is the

effort
> worthwhile?
> Thanks for all.
> Kent

I roast about every 5 or 6 days. It is worth it. Take a good look
through:

www.sweetmarias.com

Very reputable business. Lots of information about equipment. Great
selection of green coffee. It's a small very dedicated enterprise of
which I am only a happy internet customer, not a financial participant.

Will

Dean 23-02-2005 01:51 AM

What every body else said about sweet maria's.
A lot of their coffees are near $5/lb (+ a bit once you add shipping)
I roast 2-3 times a week for my own consumption using a Caffe Rosto
It produces some smoke, more as you roast darker. If you can't vent it
you might have a tiny concern there. I kinda like it and the dog hasn't
complained.
The coffee is worth it.

It's the slippery slope that sometimes make poeple wonder.............