Old 14-02-2005, 02:43 PM
L, not -L

Default Food-safe lubricants

I'm looking for recommendations of a food-safe, waterproof lubricant. The
intended use it to lubricate the paddle shaft of my bread machine.
Replacement pans are no longer available, so I disassembled the old pan to
find a thick grunge that causes the hard turning of the shaft. A quick
cleaning and the shaft turns easily, now I need something to lubricate it.
Since leaking around the seal is probably what caused the problem in the
first place, I'd like to use a waterproof lube.

Thanks

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Old 14-02-2005, 04:16 PM
Kenneth

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 15:57:44 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"L, not -L" wrote in message
I'm looking for recommendations of a food-safe, waterproof lubricant. The
intended use it to lubricate the paddle shaft of my bread machine.
Replacement pans are no longer available, so I disassembled the old pan to
find a thick grunge that causes the hard turning of the shaft. A quick
cleaning and the shaft turns easily, now I need something to lubricate it.
Since leaking around the seal is probably what caused the problem in the
first place, I'd like to use a waterproof lube.

Thanks

Crisco

Howdy,

I would expect such to go rancid after a while...

Contact any restaurant supply company and they will have
just what the OP asked for.

I use mine for our flour mill.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Old 14-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Vox Humana

wrote:

"L, not -L" wrote in message
I'm looking for recommendations of a food-safe, waterproof lubricant.

The
intended use it to lubricate the paddle shaft of my bread machine.
Replacement pans are no longer available, so I disassembled the old pan

find a thick grunge that causes the hard turning of the shaft. A quick
cleaning and the shaft turns easily, now I need something to lubricate

it.
Since leaking around the seal is probably what caused the problem in

the
first place, I'd like to use a waterproof lube.

Thanks

Crisco

Howdy,

I would expect such to go rancid after a while...

Right. I guess I was thinking about something that would be cleaned off and
replaced after each use, not in the machine itself.

Old 14-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Steve Calvin

Vox Humana wrote:
"Kenneth" wrote in message

<snip

Right. I guess I was thinking about something that would be cleaned off and
replaced after each use, not in the machine itself.

Phew... given the title I was semi-afraid to open the thread. ;-)

--
Steve

Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it.
Autograph your work with excellence.

Old 14-02-2005, 04:52 PM
Vox Humana

"Steve Calvin" wrote in message
Vox Humana wrote:
"Kenneth" wrote in message

<snip

Right. I guess I was thinking about something that would be cleaned off

and
replaced after each use, not in the machine itself.

Phew... given the title I was semi-afraid to open the thread. ;-)

What, you don't eat in bed?

Old 14-02-2005, 05:17 PM
Steve Calvin

Vox Humana wrote:
"Steve Calvin" wrote in message

Vox Humana wrote:

"Kenneth" wrote in message

<snip

Right. I guess I was thinking about something that would be cleaned off

and

replaced after each use, not in the machine itself.

Phew... given the title I was semi-afraid to open the thread. ;-)

What, you don't eat in bed?

well... since you put it that way ;-)

Old 14-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Edwin Pawlowski

"L, not -L" wrote in message
I'm looking for recommendations of a food-safe, waterproof lubricant. The
intended use it to lubricate the paddle shaft of my bread machine.

White lithium grease

Old 15-02-2005, 12:38 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 14 Feb 2005 04:02:22p, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.equipment:

"L, not -L" wrote in message
I'm looking for recommendations of a food-safe, waterproof lubricant. The
intended use it to lubricate the paddle shaft of my bread machine.

White lithium grease

That's food safe, really, Ed? Hmmm... Good to know.

Wayne

Old 15-02-2005, 12:48 AM
Patti Beadles

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

White lithium grease

I think you mean white silicone grease, no?

-Patti
--
Patti Beadles, Oakland, CA |
pattib~pattib.org |

Old 15-02-2005, 02:40 AM
Patti Beadles

Kenneth wrote:
I think you mean white silicone grease, no?

With all respect, what makes you believe that to be food
safe?

How about the fact that it's sold as food-grade?

Google "food grade silicone grease" or "usda approved silicone
grease" and you'll find tons of hits.

-Patti
Old 15-02-2005, 02:52 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Patti Beadles" wrote in message
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

White lithium grease

I think you mean white silicone grease, no?

No, If I meant while silicone, I would have said white silicone. (it may
be, I don't know). What I do know is that white lithium is. Any grease with
an H-2 classification is acceptable for incidental food contact.

Old 15-02-2005, 04:10 AM
Edwin Pawlowski

"Seth Goodman" wrote in message
.net...
In article , on Tue,
15 Feb 2005 02:52:05 GMT, wrote:

Any grease with
an H-2 classification is acceptable for incidental food contact.

H2 lubricants are *not* approved for incidental food contact. Only H1
lubricants are. And the "H" codes are obsolete, anyhow:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OPPDE/rdad/..._guide_app.htm

Got it backwards. H-1 is incidental, H-2 for lubricating food machinery,
non contact. The link provided has a date of Sept. 2004. There is still a
lot of product and literature using the H classifications.

How Safe is Your Food? [email protected] Barbecue 3 30-01-2014 12:00 PM
How Safe is Your Food? [email protected] Diabetic 1 15-09-2013 07:14 AM
How Safe is your Food? Don't Just Guess! [email protected] General Cooking 0 14-09-2013 06:54 PM
Is our food safe? THEOLDONE Diabetic 0 24-02-2005 06:18 PM
Old Foley Food Mill Safe to Use? Peggy General Cooking 9 07-10-2003 04:33 PM