Default Kitchen cabinets...where do I begin?!?!

I'm in the middle of designign my new home and the cabinent selection
is overwhelming. I hear DBS and RUTT are the best but cost a fortune.
Can anyone tell me how to get a feel for value?

Edwin Pawlowski

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'm in the middle of designign my new home and the cabinent selection
> is overwhelming. I hear DBS and RUTT are the best but cost a fortune.
> Can anyone tell me how to get a feel for value?

What do you mean by value? The highest price may be the "best" but are not
the best "value" in most cases. Lamborghini is a beautiful car, but a Ford
is far better value for driving to work every day. There are many cabinets
of excellent construction available. This will give you some idea of what
good and bad construction will look like.

http://www.kitchenplace.com/closeup.html
http://www.kitchenplace.com/junk.html

Petey the Wonder Dog

Far as I can tell, someone wrote:
>I'm in the middle of designign my new home and the cabinent selection
>is overwhelming. I hear DBS and RUTT are the best but cost a fortune.
>Can anyone tell me how to get a feel for value?

Start by visiting a few places that sell and display cabinets.
Open doors and drawers, envision your stuff in them.
Look for features you like and need.

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's, and one or two local kitchen places.
Peter Aitken

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'm in the middle of designign my new home and the cabinent selection
> is overwhelming. I hear DBS and RUTT are the best but cost a fortune.
> Can anyone tell me how to get a feel for value?

The quality of the hardware is very important. Are the drawer slides - or
whatever they are called - sturdy and smooth, using mostly metal parts? Do
the drawers open all the way or just 3/4 of the way? Best quality slides
mount under the drawer, not at the sides where they reduce the width of the
drawer. Are cabinet doors and drawer fronts adjustable so you can square
them up for a neat appearance? We got Woodmode cabinets a few years ago and
have been very happy.

--
Peter Aitken

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I'm in the middle of designign my new home and the cabinent selection
> is overwhelming. I hear DBS and RUTT are the best but cost a fortune.
> Can anyone tell me how to get a feel for value?

The most important issue is your budget. If you can't afford cabinets over
$X then you are wasting your time even discussing them. Also, how long do
you plan to live in your home and how much abuse do the cabinets get? Some
of the cost will depend on the species of wood you select and the style -
i.e.., full overlay, etc.

Within lines of cabinets you will find many options. The base level will be
made from particleboard wit veneered plywood frames and doors. The doors
and frames may be solid wood or veneered. The end panels will be a printed
paper veneer. You can select all plywood construction. You can get various
options for exposed end panels like veneered plywood or an applied skin.
There are generally upgrades to draw hardware available. Lots of money can
be spent customizing cabinets with applied moldings, pull out trays,
dividers, specialty cabinets, specialty hardware, etc. Therefore, it is
hard to compare an entry level cabinet from Home Depot with one in a kitchen
showroom unless you know exactly how each is constructed. Furthermore, I
understand that Home Depot has its cabinets made to a cheaper specification.
Therefore a Krafmaid cabinet at HD may not be the same as a Kraftmaid
cabinet at a kitchen showroom.

Another consideration is how much you want to spend. If you will live in
your house of the next 20 years, then getting really sturdy cabinets will
all plywood construction might make sense. If you think you will move in
the next 5 years, then I wouldn't bother because no one will pay extra for
the better construction and you will be wasting your money. Also, if you
only cook twice a year, then it might not make sense to spend money on heavy
duty construction.