Default Wok Seasoning

I recently bought a traditional cast iron wok from the Wok Shop in SF.
I seasoned it in the oven according to their directions. I'd like to
build up the black non-stick patina the pros talk about.

I've been using the wok frequently for several weeks. When I finish
stir frying, I find that when I wipe the heated wok out with oil and
paper towels, a black residue comes off on the towel. (I cleaned it
first with a soft sponge and water.) Is this black residue what is
destined to become the patina? Should I not try to wipe the inside of
the wok completely clean with paper towels? Is the black residue
harmful?

I've also seen seasoning suggestions which say the inside of the wok
should be wiped clean with paper towels. I'd like to hear any ideas
from the group.

Richard

Lisa

I have a carbon steel wok. I don't know about cast iron. My wok is now
almost completely black but it took a while for that to build up. I have
been using it for almost 20 years so I'm not sure how long it took but I
remember it being a long time. I always clean it with hot water and a
plastic scouring pad, then dry with paper towels or dish towel. In the
beginning, probably the first few years, I put a light coating of oil on it
after cleaning.

Lisa

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I recently bought a traditional cast iron wok from the Wok Shop in SF.
> I seasoned it in the oven according to their directions. I'd like to
> build up the black non-stick patina the pros talk about.
>
> I've been using the wok frequently for several weeks. When I finish
> stir frying, I find that when I wipe the heated wok out with oil and
> paper towels, a black residue comes off on the towel. (I cleaned it
> first with a soft sponge and water.) Is this black residue what is
> destined to become the patina? Should I not try to wipe the inside of
> the wok completely clean with paper towels? Is the black residue
> harmful?
>
> I've also seen seasoning suggestions which say the inside of the wok
> should be wiped clean with paper towels. I'd like to hear any ideas
> from the group.
>
> Richard

What is Old Bay Seasoning Hench General Cooking 36 28-03-2013 06:15 PM
Seasoning a Wok Kswck General Cooking 1 19-01-2009 11:23 PM
Seasoning Dick Adams[_2_] General Cooking 55 08-03-2007 04:59 PM
seasoning a wok Jen General Cooking 5 06-10-2005 10:44 PM
wok seasoning? Sticks General Cooking 5 26-05-2004 12:10 AM