FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   Wok Seasoning (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/52345-wok-seasoning.html)

[email protected] 23-01-2005 01:41 PM

Wok Seasoning

I recently bought a traditional cast iron wok from the Wok Shop in SF.
I seasoned it in the oven according to their directions. I'd like to
build up the black non-stick patina the pros talk about.

I've been using the wok frequently for several weeks. When I finish
stir frying, I find that when I wipe the heated wok out with oil and
paper towels, a black residue comes off on the towel. (I cleaned it
first with a soft sponge and water.) Is this black residue what is
destined to become the patina? Should I not try to wipe the inside of
the wok completely clean with paper towels? Is the black residue
harmful?

I've also seen seasoning suggestions which say the inside of the wok
should be wiped clean with paper towels. I'd like to hear any ideas
from the group.

Richard

Lisa 25-01-2005 12:24 AM

I have a carbon steel wok. I don't know about cast iron. My wok is now
almost completely black but it took a while for that to build up. I have
been using it for almost 20 years so I'm not sure how long it took but I
remember it being a long time. I always clean it with hot water and a
plastic scouring pad, then dry with paper towels or dish towel. In the
beginning, probably the first few years, I put a light coating of oil on it
after cleaning.

Lisa

ups.com...

Louis Cohen 26-01-2005 04:50 AM

wrote:
> I recently bought a traditional cast iron wok from the Wok Shop in SF.
> I seasoned it in the oven according to their directions. I'd like to
> build up the black non-stick patina the pros talk about.
>
> I've been using the wok frequently for several weeks. When I finish
> stir frying, I find that when I wipe the heated wok out with oil and
> paper towels, a black residue comes off on the towel. (I cleaned it
> first with a soft sponge and water.) Is this black residue what is
> destined to become the patina? Should I not try to wipe the inside of
> the wok completely clean with paper towels? Is the black residue
> harmful?
>
> I've also seen seasoning suggestions which say the inside of the wok
> should be wiped clean with paper towels. I'd like to hear any ideas
> from the group.
>
> Richard

I don't think cast iron is traditional for a wok. It sounds as if your
doing fine. Kepp cooking in it and you'll build up a nice coating, just
as you would in a conventional cast iron pan.

Regards

Louis Cohen

"Yes, yes, I will desalinate you, you grande morue!"

Émile Zola, Assommoir 1877

Peter Aitken 26-01-2005 01:56 PM

"Louis Cohen" > wrote in message
>> I recently bought a traditional cast iron wok from the Wok Shop in SF.
>> I seasoned it in the oven according to their directions. I'd like to
>> build up the black non-stick patina the pros talk about.
>>
>> I've been using the wok frequently for several weeks. When I finish
>> stir frying, I find that when I wipe the heated wok out with oil and
>> paper towels, a black residue comes off on the towel. (I cleaned it
>> first with a soft sponge and water.) Is this black residue what is
>> destined to become the patina? Should I not try to wipe the inside of
>> the wok completely clean with paper towels? Is the black residue
>> harmful?
>>
>> I've also seen seasoning suggestions which say the inside of the wok
>> should be wiped clean with paper towels. I'd like to hear any ideas
>> from the group.
>>
>> Richard
>>

> I don't think cast iron is traditional for a wok. It sounds as if your
> doing fine. Kepp cooking in it and you'll build up a nice coating, just
> as you would in a conventional cast iron pan.

Some woks are sold as "cast iron" but are not at all what Americans think of
as cast iron - rather they are more like the rolled steel type. It's
confusing! Either way they need to be seasoned.

--
Peter Aitken