StooBush

Default Looking for a Knife Block

Hi all,

I just got married and the wedding guests came through with a slew of
Wusthof knives that I wanted. Now I need to find a block that fits
them all. It's only 9 knives, plus shears and steel, but one's a
cleaver, which most blocks don't seem to accomodate. Can anyone point
me in the right direction?

I don't really want a megablock, just something that's just right. If
you know of any stores in the Los Angeles area that I may be able to
test drive my knives in, that'd work as well.

Here are the knives:

1. 3.5-in. Paring Knife
2. 4.5-in. Utility Knife
3. 8-in. Bread Knife
4. 8-in. Chef's Knife
5. Kitchen Shears
6. 9-in. Sharpening Steel
7. 7-in. Santoku Knife
8. 6-in. Cleaver
9. 7-in. Fillet Knife
10. 6-in. Straight Meat Fork
11. 5-in. Boning Knife

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Stu

Louis Cohen

StooBush wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just got married and the wedding guests came through with a slew of
> Wusthof knives that I wanted. Now I need to find a block that fits
> them all. It's only 9 knives, plus shears and steel, but one's a
> cleaver, which most blocks don't seem to accomodate. Can anyone point
> me in the right direction?
>
> I don't really want a megablock, just something that's just right. If
> you know of any stores in the Los Angeles area that I may be able to
> test drive my knives in, that'd work as well.
>
> Here are the knives:
>
> 1. 3.5-in. Paring Knife
> 2. 4.5-in. Utility Knife
> 3. 8-in. Bread Knife
> 4. 8-in. Chef's Knife
> 5. Kitchen Shears
> 6. 9-in. Sharpening Steel
> 7. 7-in. Santoku Knife
> 8. 6-in. Cleaver
> 9. 7-in. Fillet Knife
> 10. 6-in. Straight Meat Fork
> 11. 5-in. Boning Knife
>
> All suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Stu

Congratulations and best of luck to both of you.

You might use a combination of a block and a magnetic strip. Or, put
the items that you use least in a drawer (in a holder, or wrapped up to
protect the blades and your hands when you reach into the drawer).

The tools you'll use most often are the steel, and the chef's, paring,
and bread knives; keep these in the most convenient location. After
that, it depends on what you cook.

Our block has the steel, 10" and 8" chef's, the paring, bread, utility
and boning knives, a carver, and a Global veggie knife that the Mrs
likes for its light weight. The cleaver, fillet, and slicer, and the
carving fork, are in a drawer.

Regards

Louis Cohen

"Yes, yes, I will desalinate you, you grande morue!"

Émile Zola, Assommoir 1877
Aria

Williams Sonoma, both the online store or regular store. I live in Tucson
and just went to one and bought a great knife block. They have ones
specifically for Wusthof knives.

"StooBush" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I just got married and the wedding guests came through with a slew of
> Wusthof knives that I wanted. Now I need to find a block that fits
> them all. It's only 9 knives, plus shears and steel, but one's a
> cleaver, which most blocks don't seem to accomodate. Can anyone point
> me in the right direction?
>
> I don't really want a megablock, just something that's just right. If
> you know of any stores in the Los Angeles area that I may be able to
> test drive my knives in, that'd work as well.
>
> Here are the knives:
>
> 1. 3.5-in. Paring Knife
> 2. 4.5-in. Utility Knife
> 3. 8-in. Bread Knife
> 4. 8-in. Chef's Knife
> 5. Kitchen Shears
> 6. 9-in. Sharpening Steel
> 7. 7-in. Santoku Knife
> 8. 6-in. Cleaver
> 9. 7-in. Fillet Knife
> 10. 6-in. Straight Meat Fork
> 11. 5-in. Boning Knife
>
> All suggestions are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> Stu

Ray & Kathy Albertson

Consider one of the Henckels blocks you can find at the local Bed, Bath &
Beyond store. Mine stores my steak knives and full-size cleaver (important
to me), and I also use a WHOPPING big magnetic strip that is stuck to the
side of my fridge with hot-melt dotted with silicone glue. Both are great!

> "StooBush" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> I just got married and the wedding guests came through with a slew of
>> Wusthof knives that I wanted. Now I need to find a block that fits
>> them all. It's only 9 knives, plus shears and steel, but one's a
>> cleaver, which most blocks don't seem to accomodate. Can anyone point
>> me in the right direction?

Ray & Kathy Albertson

Consider one of the Henckels blocks you can find at the local Bed, Bath &
Beyond store. Mine stores my steak knives and full-size cleaver (important
to me), and I also use a WHOPPING big magnetic strip that is stuck to the
side of my fridge with hot-melt dotted with silicone glue. Both are great!

> "StooBush" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> I just got married and the wedding guests came through with a slew of
>> Wusthof knives that I wanted. Now I need to find a block that fits
>> them all. It's only 9 knives, plus shears and steel, but one's a
>> cleaver, which most blocks don't seem to accomodate. Can anyone point
>> me in the right direction?

Ida Slapter

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:32:21 -0800, "Ray & Kathy Albertson"
> wrote:

>Consider one of the Henckels blocks you can find at the local Bed, Bath &
>Beyond store.

Make sure your "slots" are horizontal instead of vertical, so the
knife can lay on its side instead of a cutting edge.

Ida Slapter

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:32:21 -0800, "Ray & Kathy Albertson"
> wrote:

>Consider one of the Henckels blocks you can find at the local Bed, Bath &
>Beyond store.

Make sure your "slots" are horizontal instead of vertical, so the
knife can lay on its side instead of a cutting edge.

Joe Doe

In article >,
Ida Slapter > wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:32:21 -0800, "Ray & Kathy Albertson"
> > wrote:
>
> >Consider one of the Henckels blocks you can find at the local Bed, Bath &
> >Beyond store.

> Make sure your "slots" are horizontal instead of vertical, so the
> knife can lay on its side instead of a cutting edge.

There is no problem if you use a vertically angled knife block
correctly. Simply put the knife with the heel of the knife facing down -
in this way when you draw the knife out the heel rubs the wood and not
the cutting edge. I actually prefer vertical blocks.

Roland
Joe Doe

In article >,
Ida Slapter > wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:32:21 -0800, "Ray & Kathy Albertson"
> > wrote:
>
> >Consider one of the Henckels blocks you can find at the local Bed, Bath &
> >Beyond store.

> Make sure your "slots" are horizontal instead of vertical, so the
> knife can lay on its side instead of a cutting edge.

There is no problem if you use a vertically angled knife block
correctly. Simply put the knife with the heel of the knife facing down -
in this way when you draw the knife out the heel rubs the wood and not
the cutting edge. I actually prefer vertical blocks.

Roland
Ida Slapter

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:02:14 -0600, Joe Doe >
wrote:

>There is no problem if you use a vertically angled knife block
>correctly. Simply put the knife with the heel of the knife facing down -

Ah...but when you remove the knife it is upside down and you have to
turn it over. With a horizontal slot, whether you are left handed or
right handed, the knife will be removed honed side down.

Ida Slapter

wrote:

>There is no problem if you use a vertically angled knife block
>correctly. Simply put the knife with the heel of the knife facing down -

Ah...but when you remove the knife it is upside down and you have to
turn it over. With a horizontal slot, whether you are left handed or
right handed, the knife will be removed honed side down.

Joe Doe

In article >,
Ida Slapter > wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:02:14 -0600, Joe Doe >
> wrote:
>
> >There is no problem if you use a vertically angled knife block
> >correctly. Simply put the knife with the heel of the knife facing down -

> Ah...but when you remove the knife it is upside down and you have to
> turn it over. With a horizontal slot, whether you are left handed or
> right handed, the knife will be removed honed side down.

The knife will be removed at 90 degrees to the cutting surface in a
horizontal block and will have to be turned 90 degrees. In a vertical
block it will have to be turned 180 degrees. I do not see it being that
big a difference.

It is very difficult to remove a knife from a horizontal block without
rubbing the cutting edge along the block - you have to proceed very
slowly and delicately - you cannot just grab a knife, I have both and
the horizontal block shows gouge marks. If you use a vertically aligned
block as I recommend you protect both the knife edge and the block.

In any event, I do not think it is a big deal - the original poster
should buy whatever he/she wants.

Roland
Joe Doe