wave

Default microwave oven power cooking levels?

Have spent over 2 hours trying to find out if most or all microwaves do true
variable power output as opposed to the traditional cycling on & off to
attain different power levels, panasonic call this inverter technology, they
make it sound like they are the only ones that do it, have not been able to
determine if this is so yet, I searched webpages as well as the newsgroup
archives but frustratingly I could not find the answer to what I would have
thought would be a common question.

James Sweet

"wave" <wave@waving> wrote in message ...
> Have spent over 2 hours trying to find out if most or all microwaves do

true
> variable power output as opposed to the traditional cycling on & off to
> attain different power levels, panasonic call this inverter technology,

they
> make it sound like they are the only ones that do it, have not been able

> determine if this is so yet, I searched webpages as well as the newsgroup
> archives but frustratingly I could not find the answer to what I would

have
> thought would be a common question.

The vast majority of microwaves cycle the magnetron, only the inverter type
can do true variable power. I don't know if only Panasonic does this, but
one way to tell would be the weight, a conventional transformer power supply
will be considerably heavier, and the ovens will be cheaper as well.

wave

"Frank" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 11:38:03 +1300, "wave" <wave@waving> wrote:
>
> >Have spent over 2 hours trying to find out if most or all microwaves do

true
> >variable power output as opposed to the traditional cycling on & off to
> >attain different power levels, panasonic call this inverter technology,

they
> >make it sound like they are the only ones that do it, have not been able

> >determine if this is so yet, I searched webpages as well as the newsgroup
> >archives but frustratingly I could not find the answer to what I would

have
> >thought would be a common question.
> >

> Ring a few shops, but far as I know Only Panasonic has it..

I would never trust what the shops told me, have far to many times received
completely wrong advise, in fact I would be hard pressed to think of 1
occasion where they did not give completely wrong facts.

wave

"James Sweet" > wrote in message

> "wave" <wave@waving> wrote in message ...
> > Have spent over 2 hours trying to find out if most or all microwaves do

> true
> > variable power output as opposed to the traditional cycling on & off to
> > attain different power levels, panasonic call this inverter technology,

> they
> > make it sound like they are the only ones that do it, have not been able

> > determine if this is so yet, I searched webpages as well as the

newsgroup
> > archives but frustratingly I could not find the answer to what I would

> have
> > thought would be a common question.
> >

> The vast majority of microwaves cycle the magnetron, only the inverter

type
> can do true variable power. I don't know if only Panasonic does this, but
> one way to tell would be the weight, a conventional transformer power

supply
> will be considerably heavier, and the ovens will be cheaper as well.

Thanks, I have very little experience with microwaves but I have used a
panasonic with inverter technology and a much older microwave and the
panasonic was definitely better at cooking evenly etc..., don't know if this
was to do with the inverter technology or some other improvement in modern
microwaves but it makes some sense to me that the inverter technology would
give better cooking, a pity it is not standard among all microwaves then.

wave

"wave" <wave@waving> wrote in message ...

> "Frank" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 11:38:03 +1300, "wave" <wave@waving> wrote:
> >
> > >Have spent over 2 hours trying to find out if most or all microwaves do

> true
> > >variable power output as opposed to the traditional cycling on & off to
> > >attain different power levels, panasonic call this inverter technology,

> they
> > >make it sound like they are the only ones that do it, have not been

able
> > >determine if this is so yet, I searched webpages as well as the

newsgroup
> > >archives but frustratingly I could not find the answer to what I would

> have
> > >thought would be a common question.
> > >

> > Ring a few shops, but far as I know Only Panasonic has it..
> >

> I would never trust what the shops told me, have far to many times

received
> completely wrong advise, in fact I would be hard pressed to think of 1
> occasion where they did not give completely wrong facts.

I know only panasonic call it inverter technology but I thought others could
be using the same technology without calling it inverter which is only a
name that panasonic have come up with to give this technology a brand and of
course this will be copyrighted so nobody else can use the term inverter in
their microwave ovens, i.e a marketing strategy.

wave

"wave" <wave@waving> wrote in message ...

> "Frank" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 11:38:03 +1300, "wave" <wave@waving> wrote:
> >
> > >Have spent over 2 hours trying to find out if most or all microwaves do

> true
> > >variable power output as opposed to the traditional cycling on & off to
> > >attain different power levels, panasonic call this inverter technology,

> they
> > >make it sound like they are the only ones that do it, have not been

able
> > >determine if this is so yet, I searched webpages as well as the

newsgroup
> > >archives but frustratingly I could not find the answer to what I would

> have
> > >thought would be a common question.
> > >

> > Ring a few shops, but far as I know Only Panasonic has it..
> >

> I would never trust what the shops told me, have far to many times

received
> completely wrong advise, in fact I would be hard pressed to think of 1
> occasion where they did not give completely wrong facts.

I know only panasonic call it inverter technology but I thought others could
be using the same technology without calling it inverter which is only a
name that panasonic have come up with to give this technology a brand and of
course this will be copyrighted so nobody else can use the term inverter in
their microwave ovens, i.e a marketing strategy.

James Sweet

> I know only panasonic call it inverter technology but I thought others

could
> be using the same technology without calling it inverter which is only a
> name that panasonic have come up with to give this technology a brand and

of
> course this will be copyrighted so nobody else can use the term inverter

in
> their microwave ovens, i.e a marketing strategy.

I don't think "inverter" can be copyrighted, it's a name that's been in use
for many years to describe certain types of switchmode power supplies. You
can bet that if any other oven manufacture was using similar technology,
they'd point it out in some obvious way even if they couldn't call it
Inverter.

James Sweet

> Thanks, I have very little experience with microwaves but I have used a
> panasonic with inverter technology and a much older microwave and the
> panasonic was definitely better at cooking evenly etc..., don't know if

this
> was to do with the inverter technology or some other improvement in modern
> microwaves but it makes some sense to me that the inverter technology

would
> give better cooking, a pity it is not standard among all microwaves then.

It's expensive to build, that's why it's not standard so far, but give it
time. Cooking even-ness is more a matter of cavity and waveguide design than
the power supply, I don't know about you but I don't remember the last time
I used anything less than full power to cook in a microwave, the lower power
I've only used for defrosting. I still think the inverter power supply is
cool, I just don't think it'll have all that noticeable of an effect on
cooking.

NSM

"wave" <wave@waving> wrote in message ...
| Have spent over 2 hours trying to find out if most or all microwaves do
true
| variable power output as opposed to the traditional cycling on & off to
| attain different power levels, panasonic call this inverter technology,
they
| make it sound like they are the only ones that do it, have not been able
| determine if this is so yet, I searched webpages as well as the newsgroup
| archives but frustratingly I could not find the answer to what I would
have
| thought would be a common question.

I have one of these and AFAIK only Panasonic is using it. 'Genius' is their
trademark, inverter technology is not. It's a very powerful switchmode power
supply that varies the input power to the microwave. BTW, don't buy the
convection version - they are a swine to keep clean.

All other makes I know of cycle power to control cooking which does not work
as well for some items (oatmeal for one).

Sam Goldwasser

"wave" <wave@waving> writes:

> I know only panasonic call it inverter technology but I thought others could
> be using the same technology without calling it inverter which is only a
> name that panasonic have come up with to give this technology a brand and of
> course this will be copyrighted so nobody else can use the term inverter in
> their microwave ovens, i.e a marketing strategy.

Inverter is a common electronic term. It sounds impressive to the masses.
But, it's a much more complex technology than the traditional 3 component
high voltage power supply used in the vast majority of microwave ovens.

I don't really see how it's going to be much better at cooking except for
very short cooking times where the normal cycling doesn't have enough
resolution, time wise.

More info in the Microwave Over Repair Guide at the site below.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Sam Goldwasser

"NSM" > writes:

> "wave" <wave@waving> wrote in message ...
> | Have spent over 2 hours trying to find out if most or all microwaves do
> true
> | variable power output as opposed to the traditional cycling on & off to
> | attain different power levels, panasonic call this inverter technology,
> they
> | make it sound like they are the only ones that do it, have not been able
> | determine if this is so yet, I searched webpages as well as the newsgroup
> | archives but frustratingly I could not find the answer to what I would
> have
> | thought would be a common question.
>
> I have one of these and AFAIK only Panasonic is using it. 'Genius' is their
> trademark, inverter technology is not. It's a very powerful switchmode power
> supply that varies the input power to the microwave. BTW, don't buy the
> convection version - they are a swine to keep clean.
>
> All other makes I know of cycle power to control cooking which does not work
> as well for some items (oatmeal for one).

The sample I have drives both the magnetron high voltage and filament
from the same transformer. I would think this is hard on the magnetron
at moderate power where the filament isn't as hot as it should be but
perhaps it's not a big issue.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored.
To contact me, please use the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

wave

Thanks everyone for the advice, considering the advice I decided to not
worry about the inverter technology and bought a Sanyo microwave,
unfortunately there is no way I am going to fit this or any other microwave
in my microwave space without breaking the clearance rules laid out in the
manual, obviously a lot of people must ignore these, same goes to people who
build home kitchens as my kitchen as a space designed for microwaves but in
practice it will not do the job, bummer. I guess my question is if there is
a person who fixes microwaves or has some other reason to know what minimum
standard clearances are acceptable, i.e are the manufacturers clearances
over engineered? The manual for the sanyo says 20cm above, 10cm at the back
and 5cm on the sides.

NSM

"wave" <wave@waving> wrote in message ...
| Thanks everyone for the advice, considering the advice I decided to not
| worry about the inverter technology and bought a Sanyo microwave,
| unfortunately there is no way I am going to fit this or any other
microwave
| in my microwave space without breaking the clearance rules laid out in the
| manual, obviously a lot of people must ignore these, same goes to people
who
| build home kitchens as my kitchen as a space designed for microwaves but
in
| practice it will not do the job, bummer. I guess my question is if there
is
| a person who fixes microwaves or has some other reason to know what
minimum
| standard clearances are acceptable, i.e are the manufacturers clearances
| over engineered? The manual for the sanyo says 20cm above, 10cm at the
back
| and 5cm on the sides.

Unless it's a convection combo, 25mm all round is plenty. More is nice, but
what can you do?

Adder

In article > in nz.tech on Thu, 09
Dec 2004 00:52:43 GMT, Repeating Rifle > says...
> in article , wave at wave@waving wrote on 12/8/04 2:38
> PM:
>
> > Have spent over 2 hours trying to find out if most or all microwaves do true
> > variable power output as opposed to the traditional cycling on & off to
> > attain different power levels, panasonic call this inverter technology, they
> > make it sound like they are the only ones that do it, have not been able to
> > determine if this is so yet, I searched webpages as well as the newsgroup
> > archives but frustratingly I could not find the answer to what I would have
> > thought would be a common question.
> >

> I was intrigued by this and other posts on the subject. Here is what I
> conclude off the top of my head. I may be wrong in part. It sure is
> difficult to glean specific information from the Panasonic web pages.
>
> The inverter substitutes high frequency electronic switching and a SMALL
> transformer for a much heavier magnetic transformer to provide the high
> voltage necessary to operate a magnetron. The switching also allows varying
> the voltage applied to the magnetron. In turn, that varies the magnetron's
> output level. A conventional transformer's output voltage is not easily
> changed. The down side is that efficency is reduced somewhat, especially at
> low cooking level. That is, a larger fraction of the electrical power you
> pay for ends up heating things other than food you are trying to heat.
>
> Running transformers at high frequencies, what the inverter does, reduces
> the size and weight required to handle large powers. The cost of electronic
> devices such as transistors has dropped as manufacturing techniques
> improved. Magnetic components such as transformers have not dropped much, if
> any, in price. To a large extent, cost and size for these components vary
> together.

This is how all switchmode supplies (like in your PC) work. Transformers
can be made much more efficient at the higher frequencies. It's probably
the reason why aircraft power runs at higher than ordinary mains
frequency.
James Sweet

"wave" <wave@waving> wrote in message ...
> Thanks everyone for the advice, considering the advice I decided to not
> worry about the inverter technology and bought a Sanyo microwave,
> unfortunately there is no way I am going to fit this or any other

microwave
> in my microwave space without breaking the clearance rules laid out in the
> manual, obviously a lot of people must ignore these, same goes to people

who
> build home kitchens as my kitchen as a space designed for microwaves but

in
> practice it will not do the job, bummer. I guess my question is if there

is
> a person who fixes microwaves or has some other reason to know what

minimum
> standard clearances are acceptable, i.e are the manufacturers clearances
> over engineered? The manual for the sanyo says 20cm above, 10cm at the

back
> and 5cm on the sides.

Depends on the unit, note where the ventilation grills are and try to allow
some airflow, particularly to the fan. I've seen some installations that
used a small duct to a vent located above or below the oven.

NSM

"Adder" > wrote in message
. nz...

| This is how all switchmode supplies (like in your PC) work. Transformers
| can be made much more efficient at the higher frequencies. It's probably
| the reason why aircraft power runs at higher than ordinary mains
| frequency.

Actually they ran 400 cycle for weight long before they came up with solid
state, let alone switchers.

Richard

Frank wrote:

> That is to get Smaller Transformers, war time planes use 80hz, and IBM main
> frame computers I think from memory used 400hz

Why on earth would a mainframe need 400Hz? Thats just silly talk roger
Roger Johnstone

In > Richard wrote:
> Frank wrote:
>
>> That is to get Smaller Transformers, war time planes use 80hz, and
>> IBM main frame computers I think from memory used 400hz

> Why on earth would a mainframe need 400Hz? Thats just silly talk roger

But he's correct. Mainframes did often use 400 hertz power supplies. All
those power supplies and large motors for fans and disk drives used so
much power that it was worth using a motor-generator set to convert the
normal three phase 50 or 60Hz power supply to 400Hz. The extra cost and
loses in the motor-generator were more than offset by the increased
efficiencies and smaller size and costs of all the other transformers
and motors in the mainframe.

http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

CJT

Richard wrote:
> Frank wrote:
>
>> That is to get Smaller Transformers, war time planes use 80hz, and
>> IBM main
>> frame computers I think from memory used 400hz

> Why on earth would a mainframe need 400Hz? Thats just silly talk roger

I don't know whether they still do, but it's certainly not silly talk.

NSM

"Frank" > wrote in message

| That is to get Smaller Transformers, war time planes use 80hz, and IBM
main
| frame computers I think from memory used 400hz

Never heard of 80 cycle. What used that? Most WWII aircraft used 400 cycle
IIRC. And I can't imagine why IBM would use anything other than regular AC
power to supply main frames.

James Sweet

"Frank" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:59:18 +1300, Adder > wrote:
>
> >In article > in nz.tech on Thu, 09
> >Dec 2004 00:52:43 GMT, Repeating Rifle > says...
> >> in article , wave at wave@waving wrote on 12/8/04

2:38
> >> PM:

do true

technology, they

able to

newsgroup

would have

> >> I was intrigued by this and other posts on the subject. Here is what I
> >> conclude off the top of my head. I may be wrong in part. It sure is
> >> difficult to glean specific information from the Panasonic web pages.
> >>
> >> The inverter substitutes high frequency electronic switching and a

SMALL
> >> transformer for a much heavier magnetic transformer to provide the high
> >> voltage necessary to operate a magnetron. The switching also allows

varying
> >> the voltage applied to the magnetron. In turn, that varies the

magnetron's
> >> output level. A conventional transformer's output voltage is not easily
> >> changed. The down side is that efficency is reduced somewhat,

especially at
> >> low cooking level. That is, a larger fraction of the electrical power

you
> >> pay for ends up heating things other than food you are trying to heat.
> >>
> >> Running transformers at high frequencies, what the inverter does,

reduces
> >> the size and weight required to handle large powers. The cost of

electronic
> >> devices such as transistors has dropped as manufacturing techniques
> >> improved. Magnetic components such as transformers have not dropped

much, if
> >> any, in price. To a large extent, cost and size for these components

vary
> >> together.

> >This is how all switchmode supplies (like in your PC) work. Transformers
> >can be made much more efficient at the higher frequencies. It's probably
> >the reason why aircraft power runs at higher than ordinary mains
> >frequency.

> That is to get Smaller Transformers, war time planes use 80hz, and IBM

main
> frame computers I think from memory used 400hz

I thought large aircraft almost universally used 400hz?

James Sweet

"Frank" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:59:18 +1300, Adder > wrote:
>
> >In article > in nz.tech on Thu, 09
> >Dec 2004 00:52:43 GMT, Repeating Rifle > says...
> >> in article , wave at wave@waving wrote on 12/8/04

2:38
> >> PM:

do true

technology, they

able to

newsgroup

would have

> >> I was intrigued by this and other posts on the subject. Here is what I
> >> conclude off the top of my head. I may be wrong in part. It sure is
> >> difficult to glean specific information from the Panasonic web pages.
> >>
> >> The inverter substitutes high frequency electronic switching and a

SMALL
> >> transformer for a much heavier magnetic transformer to provide the high
> >> voltage necessary to operate a magnetron. The switching also allows

varying
> >> the voltage applied to the magnetron. In turn, that varies the

magnetron's
> >> output level. A conventional transformer's output voltage is not easily
> >> changed. The down side is that efficency is reduced somewhat,

especially at
> >> low cooking level. That is, a larger fraction of the electrical power

you
> >> pay for ends up heating things other than food you are trying to heat.
> >>
> >> Running transformers at high frequencies, what the inverter does,

reduces
> >> the size and weight required to handle large powers. The cost of

electronic
> >> devices such as transistors has dropped as manufacturing techniques
> >> improved. Magnetic components such as transformers have not dropped

much, if
> >> any, in price. To a large extent, cost and size for these components

vary
> >> together.

> >This is how all switchmode supplies (like in your PC) work. Transformers
> >can be made much more efficient at the higher frequencies. It's probably
> >the reason why aircraft power runs at higher than ordinary mains
> >frequency.

> That is to get Smaller Transformers, war time planes use 80hz, and IBM

main
> frame computers I think from memory used 400hz

I thought large aircraft almost universally used 400hz?

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article >,
Adder > wrote:

>Transformers
>can be made much more efficient at the higher frequencies. It's probably
>the reason why aircraft power runs at higher than ordinary mains
>frequency.

I heard that Tesla wanted mains frequencies to be around 300-400Hz for
this reason. I think the engineers who built the early power plants
(Edison?) felt this was impractical because they couldn't build big AC
generators that could spin that fast.

Wonder how things would be different if the situation could be revisited
today...
Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article >,
Adder > wrote:

>Transformers
>can be made much more efficient at the higher frequencies. It's probably
>the reason why aircraft power runs at higher than ordinary mains
>frequency.

I heard that Tesla wanted mains frequencies to be around 300-400Hz for
this reason. I think the engineers who built the early power plants
(Edison?) felt this was impractical because they couldn't build big AC
generators that could spin that fast.

Wonder how things would be different if the situation could be revisited
today...
James Sweet

"Lawrence DčOliveiro" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Adder > wrote:
>
> >Transformers
> >can be made much more efficient at the higher frequencies. It's probably
> >the reason why aircraft power runs at higher than ordinary mains
> >frequency.

> I heard that Tesla wanted mains frequencies to be around 300-400Hz for
> this reason. I think the engineers who built the early power plants
> (Edison?) felt this was impractical because they couldn't build big AC
> generators that could spin that fast.
>
> Wonder how things would be different if the situation could be revisited
> today...

Edison was a huge proponent of DC, IIRC Westinghouse was the main player in
the development of AC generation and transmission.

Lawrence DčOliveiro

In article <jiMtd.657$Qp.220@trnddc01>,
"James Sweet" > wrote:

>Cooking even-ness is more a matter of cavity and waveguide design than
>the power supply, I don't know about you but I don't remember the last time
>I used anything less than full power to cook in a microwave, the lower power
>I've only used for defrosting.

Mine is a combo LG unit. I regularly use lower microwave power settings
in combination with the grill so thick cuts like chicken legs, for
example, are nicely browned on the outside while being properly cooked
on the inside.

I was also experimenting with different microwave settings for cooking
rice without having the water spill everywhere inside the oven.
Currently I do 3 minutes at 100% (it's an 850W oven), followed by 15
minutes or more at 60%, depending on the size of the serving. There's
still some spillage, but it manages to cook nicely.

NSM

"Lawrence DčOliveiro" > wrote in message

| Mine is a combo LG unit. I regularly use lower microwave power settings
| in combination with the grill so thick cuts like chicken legs, for
| example, are nicely browned on the outside while being properly cooked
| on the inside.
|
| I was also experimenting with different microwave settings for cooking
| rice without having the water spill everywhere inside the oven.
| Currently I do 3 minutes at 100% (it's an 850W oven), followed by 15
| minutes or more at 60%, depending on the size of the serving. There's
| still some spillage, but it manages to cook nicely.

The sensor models do a great job on things like rice. They usually have a
setting for this.

NSM

"Lawrence DčOliveiro" > wrote in message

| I heard that Tesla wanted mains frequencies to be around 300-400Hz for
| this reason. I think the engineers who built the early power plants
| (Edison?) felt this was impractical because they couldn't build big AC
| generators that could spin that fast.

See the "War of the Currents" for more on Thomas Edison versus Nikola Tesla.
There were some Canadian and US systems (esp. powered from Niagara) that
used 25 cycle but it's pretty much all 50 or 60 Hz now. The higher the
frequency the lighter the magnetics but the greater the losses.

http://www.antiquewireless.org/otb/60cycles.htm

NSM

"Lawrence DčOliveiro" > wrote in message

| I heard that Tesla wanted mains frequencies to be around 300-400Hz for
| this reason. I think the engineers who built the early power plants
| (Edison?) felt this was impractical because they couldn't build big AC
| generators that could spin that fast.

See the "War of the Currents" for more on Thomas Edison versus Nikola Tesla.
There were some Canadian and US systems (esp. powered from Niagara) that
used 25 cycle but it's pretty much all 50 or 60 Hz now. The higher the
frequency the lighter the magnetics but the greater the losses.

http://www.antiquewireless.org/otb/60cycles.htm

James Sweet

> >I thought large aircraft almost universally used 400hz?
> >

> What a Lancaster Bomber, this is the Planes I am on about

I don't know anything about Lancaster bombers, that's why I asked the
question.

Andy Cuffe

On 08 Dec 2004 19:23:31 -0500, Sam Goldwasser >
wrote:

>The sample I have drives both the magnetron high voltage and filament
>from the same transformer. I would think this is hard on the magnetron
>at moderate power where the filament isn't as hot as it should be but
>perhaps it's not a big issue.

The best microwave design I've seen is an Amana from the late 70. It
has a separate filament transformer, so it can modulate the HV at
something like 1 Hz while keeping the filament hot. This is fast
enough to stop things from exploding/boiling over while the magnetron
is on. It's the only microwave I've had where the low power levels
were actually useful. It also has to be easier on the magnetron.
Andy Cuffe