Syke

Default Hobs question

At present, I have an electric, solid-plate hob. Ideally, I would like gas,
mainly for controlability. We aren't on mains gas and I don't want bottled.
Would anyone with experience care to comment on the merits/de-merits of the
other alternatives, halogen and do on, particularly regarding control.

Regards and thanks in advance

Pat Macguire

---

Diane Epps

"Syke" > wrote in message
> At present, I have an electric, solid-plate hob. Ideally, I would like
> gas,
> mainly for controlability. We aren't on mains gas and I don't want
> bottled.
> Would anyone with experience care to comment on the merits/de-merits of
> the
> other alternatives, halogen and do on, particularly regarding control.
>
> Regards and thanks in advance
>

> Pat Macguire

I used to have a halogen hob and while it was definitely faster then the
regular type it is not as good as gas. A friend has a german hob which is
electric and very fast and controlable but I'm sorry I don't know the name.
It looks very futuristic with no knobs just touch sensetive controls + and -
but it has the disavantage that if you rest something on it when it is
switched off it bleeps at you to remove the item. I think Miele make a
version of this type of hob. Hope this helps

Diane Epps

"Syke" > wrote in message
> At present, I have an electric, solid-plate hob. Ideally, I would like
> gas,
> mainly for controlability. We aren't on mains gas and I don't want
> bottled.
> Would anyone with experience care to comment on the merits/de-merits of
> the
> other alternatives, halogen and do on, particularly regarding control.
>
> Regards and thanks in advance
>

> Pat Macguire

I used to have a halogen hob and while it was definitely faster then the
regular type it is not as good as gas. A friend has a german hob which is
electric and very fast and controlable but I'm sorry I don't know the name.
It looks very futuristic with no knobs just touch sensetive controls + and -
but it has the disavantage that if you rest something on it when it is
switched off it bleeps at you to remove the item. I think Miele make a
version of this type of hob. Hope this helps

sarah

Syke > wrote:

> At present, I have an electric, solid-plate hob. Ideally, I would like gas,
> mainly for controlability. We aren't on mains gas and I don't want bottled.
> Would anyone with experience care to comment on the merits/de-merits of the
> other alternatives, halogen and do on, particularly regarding control.

Pat, I'd simply comment that I didn't want bottled gas either (I think
the bottles look too much like bombs waiting for a detonator), but after
cooking on mains gas for 5 years, then a solid fuel/oil-fired range for
another 6, I gritted my teeth and went for bottled gas when the
opportunity arrived.
I don't regret it at all.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
sarah

Syke > wrote:

> At present, I have an electric, solid-plate hob. Ideally, I would like gas,
> mainly for controlability. We aren't on mains gas and I don't want bottled.
> Would anyone with experience care to comment on the merits/de-merits of the
> other alternatives, halogen and do on, particularly regarding control.

Pat, I'd simply comment that I didn't want bottled gas either (I think
the bottles look too much like bombs waiting for a detonator), but after
cooking on mains gas for 5 years, then a solid fuel/oil-fired range for
another 6, I gritted my teeth and went for bottled gas when the
opportunity arrived.
I don't regret it at all.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.

Ophelia

"sarah" > wrote in message
k...
> Syke > wrote:
>
>> At present, I have an electric, solid-plate hob. Ideally, I would like
>> gas,
>> mainly for controlability. We aren't on mains gas and I don't want
>> bottled.
>> Would anyone with experience care to comment on the merits/de-merits of
>> the
>> other alternatives, halogen and do on, particularly regarding control.

> Pat, I'd simply comment that I didn't want bottled gas either (I think
> the bottles look too much like bombs waiting for a detonator), but after
> cooking on mains gas for 5 years, then a solid fuel/oil-fired range for
> another 6, I gritted my teeth and went for bottled gas when the
> opportunity arrived.
> I don't regret it at all.

When I lived in Malta I was in an area of no piped gas. The bottles were
fine and I never had any problems with them

Ophelia

"sarah" > wrote in message
k...
> Syke > wrote:
>
>> At present, I have an electric, solid-plate hob. Ideally, I would like
>> gas,
>> mainly for controlability. We aren't on mains gas and I don't want
>> bottled.
>> Would anyone with experience care to comment on the merits/de-merits of
>> the
>> other alternatives, halogen and do on, particularly regarding control.

> Pat, I'd simply comment that I didn't want bottled gas either (I think
> the bottles look too much like bombs waiting for a detonator), but after
> cooking on mains gas for 5 years, then a solid fuel/oil-fired range for
> another 6, I gritted my teeth and went for bottled gas when the
> opportunity arrived.
> I don't regret it at all.

When I lived in Malta I was in an area of no piped gas. The bottles were
fine and I never had any problems with them

LeRoy

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "sarah" > wrote in message
> k...
>> Syke > wrote:
>>
>>> At present, I have an electric, solid-plate hob. Ideally, I would like
>>> gas,
>>> mainly for controlability. We aren't on mains gas and I don't want
>>> bottled.
>>> Would anyone with experience care to comment on the merits/de-merits of
>>> the
>>> other alternatives, halogen and do on, particularly regarding control.

>> Pat, I'd simply comment that I didn't want bottled gas either (I think
>> the bottles look too much like bombs waiting for a detonator), but after
>> cooking on mains gas for 5 years, then a solid fuel/oil-fired range for
>> another 6, I gritted my teeth and went for bottled gas when the
>> opportunity arrived.
>> I don't regret it at all.
>>

> When I lived in Malta I was in an area of no piped gas. The bottles were
> fine and I never had any problems with them

We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
IMHO.

We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be - we
turn it off when we come back to the UK.

Pat

LeRoy

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "sarah" > wrote in message
> k...
>> Syke > wrote:
>>
>>> At present, I have an electric, solid-plate hob. Ideally, I would like
>>> gas,
>>> mainly for controlability. We aren't on mains gas and I don't want
>>> bottled.
>>> Would anyone with experience care to comment on the merits/de-merits of
>>> the
>>> other alternatives, halogen and do on, particularly regarding control.

>> Pat, I'd simply comment that I didn't want bottled gas either (I think
>> the bottles look too much like bombs waiting for a detonator), but after
>> cooking on mains gas for 5 years, then a solid fuel/oil-fired range for
>> another 6, I gritted my teeth and went for bottled gas when the
>> opportunity arrived.
>> I don't regret it at all.
>>

> When I lived in Malta I was in an area of no piped gas. The bottles were
> fine and I never had any problems with them

We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
IMHO.

We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be - we
turn it off when we come back to the UK.

Pat

June Hughes

In message >, LeRoy
> writes
>

>We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
>cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
>whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
>IMHO.
>
>We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
>really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be - we
>turn it off when we come back to the UK.

Slightly OT but still about bottled gas - Is that the same gas as you
would use for an outdoor barbie? I worry about ours.
--
June Hughes

June Hughes

In message >, LeRoy
> writes
>

>We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
>cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
>whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
>IMHO.
>
>We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
>really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be - we
>turn it off when we come back to the UK.

Slightly OT but still about bottled gas - Is that the same gas as you
would use for an outdoor barbie? I worry about ours.
--
June Hughes
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:46:27 -0000, "LeRoy" >
wrote:

| We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
| cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
| whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
| IMHO.
|
| We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
| really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be - we
| turn it off when we come back to the UK.

In the UK LPG bottles should be stored outside or in a well ventilated
area. See:
http://www.solihull.gov.uk/wwwes/hs/infosheets/lpg.htm

--
Dave F

Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

| We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
| cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
| whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
| IMHO.
|
| We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
| really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be - we
| turn it off when we come back to the UK.

In the UK LPG bottles should be stored outside or in a well ventilated
area. See:
http://www.solihull.gov.uk/wwwes/hs/infosheets/lpg.htm

--
Dave F

June Hughes

In message >, Dave Fawthrop
> writes
>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:46:27 -0000, "LeRoy" >
>wrote:
>
>| We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
>| cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
>| whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
>| IMHO.
>|
>| We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
>| really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be - we
>| turn it off when we come back to the UK.
>
>In the UK LPG bottles should be stored outside or in a well ventilated
>area. See:
>http://www.solihull.gov.uk/wwwes/hs/infosheets/lpg.htm

I wouldn't like to store one indoors. Isn't the gas heavy and therefore
rises from the floor if it leaks? (Delving into memory from ancient
schooldays).
--
June Hughes
June Hughes

In message >, Dave Fawthrop
> writes
>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:46:27 -0000, "LeRoy" >
>wrote:
>
>| We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
>| cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
>| whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
>| IMHO.
>|
>| We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
>| really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be - we
>| turn it off when we come back to the UK.
>
>In the UK LPG bottles should be stored outside or in a well ventilated
>area. See:
>http://www.solihull.gov.uk/wwwes/hs/infosheets/lpg.htm

I wouldn't like to store one indoors. Isn't the gas heavy and therefore
rises from the floor if it leaks? (Delving into memory from ancient
schooldays).
--
June Hughes

LeRoy

"Dave Fawthrop" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:46:27 -0000, "LeRoy" >
> wrote:
>
> | We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
> | cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
> | whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
> | IMHO.
> |
> | We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
> | really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be -
> we
> | turn it off when we come back to the UK.
>
> In the UK LPG bottles should be stored outside or in a well ventilated
> area. See:
> http://www.solihull.gov.uk/wwwes/hs/infosheets/lpg.htm
>
> --
> Dave F

I'm sure the same health and safety guidelines are relevant in France as in
the UK for the same product!

Our bottle is stored a safe distance from the cooker in an open under
worktop area covered in a nice not twee way (!!) by a curtain. There's lots
of ventilation - we call it indoor camping whilst we are renovating and all
our neighbours do the same thing. I'm sure it's as safe as I need (and I'm
cautious).

Pat

LeRoy

"Dave Fawthrop" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:46:27 -0000, "LeRoy" >
> wrote:
>
> | We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
> | cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
> | whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
> | IMHO.
> |
> | We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
> | really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be -
> we
> | turn it off when we come back to the UK.
>
> In the UK LPG bottles should be stored outside or in a well ventilated
> area. See:
> http://www.solihull.gov.uk/wwwes/hs/infosheets/lpg.htm
>
> --
> Dave F

I'm sure the same health and safety guidelines are relevant in France as in
the UK for the same product!

Our bottle is stored a safe distance from the cooker in an open under
worktop area covered in a nice not twee way (!!) by a curtain. There's lots
of ventilation - we call it indoor camping whilst we are renovating and all
our neighbours do the same thing. I'm sure it's as safe as I need (and I'm
cautious).

Pat

LeRoy

"June Hughes" > wrote in message
> In message >, LeRoy
> > writes
>>

>>We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
>>cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
>>whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
>>IMHO.
>>
>>We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
>>really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be - we
>>turn it off when we come back to the UK.
>>

> Slightly OT but still about bottled gas - Is that the same gas as you
> would use for an outdoor barbie? I worry about ours.
> --
> June Hughes

It is the same gas. My DH says that there is special LPG for cold outdoor
use/ outside storage, as it freezes in colder weather!

Although I trust everything he says :ŹP, I looked it up - here's the link to
Calor -

https://secure.calorgas.co.uk/orderg...=1/default.asp

and there it is!!

We store outside gas in the shed in winter and it's been OK, year after
year.

Pat

LeRoy

"June Hughes" > wrote in message
> In message >, LeRoy
> > writes
>>

>>We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
>>cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
>>whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
>>IMHO.
>>
>>We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
>>really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be - we
>>turn it off when we come back to the UK.
>>

> Slightly OT but still about bottled gas - Is that the same gas as you
> would use for an outdoor barbie? I worry about ours.
> --
> June Hughes

It is the same gas. My DH says that there is special LPG for cold outdoor
use/ outside storage, as it freezes in colder weather!

Although I trust everything he says :ŹP, I looked it up - here's the link to
Calor -

https://secure.calorgas.co.uk/orderg...=1/default.asp

and there it is!!

We store outside gas in the shed in winter and it's been OK, year after
year.

Pat

LeRoy

"June Hughes" > wrote in message
> In message >, Dave Fawthrop
> > writes
>>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:46:27 -0000, "LeRoy" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>| We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
>>| cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
>>| whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
>>| IMHO.
>>|
>>| We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
>>| really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be -
>>we
>>| turn it off when we come back to the UK.
>>
>>In the UK LPG bottles should be stored outside or in a well ventilated
>>area. See:
>>http://www.solihull.gov.uk/wwwes/hs/infosheets/lpg.htm
>>

> I wouldn't like to store one indoors. Isn't the gas heavy and therefore
> rises from the floor if it leaks? (Delving into memory from ancient
> schooldays).
> --

I thought it was heavy and therefore sunk to the ground? Not really sure,
to be honest!!

Our floors are stone, so no sinking there - if it floated, then I'm sure the
holey walls would take care of that!!

pat

LeRoy

"June Hughes" > wrote in message
> In message >, Dave Fawthrop
> > writes
>>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:46:27 -0000, "LeRoy" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>| We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
>>| cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
>>| whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
>>| IMHO.
>>|
>>| We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
>>| really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be -
>>we
>>| turn it off when we come back to the UK.
>>
>>In the UK LPG bottles should be stored outside or in a well ventilated
>>area. See:
>>http://www.solihull.gov.uk/wwwes/hs/infosheets/lpg.htm
>>

> I wouldn't like to store one indoors. Isn't the gas heavy and therefore
> rises from the floor if it leaks? (Delving into memory from ancient
> schooldays).
> --

I thought it was heavy and therefore sunk to the ground? Not really sure,
to be honest!!

Our floors are stone, so no sinking there - if it floated, then I'm sure the
holey walls would take care of that!!

pat

Ophelia

"LeRoy" > wrote in message

> "June Hughes" > wrote in message
>> In message >, Dave Fawthrop
>> > writes

>>>we
>>>
>>>In the UK LPG bottles should be stored outside or in a well ventilated
>>>area. See:
>>>http://www.solihull.gov.uk/wwwes/hs/infosheets/lpg.htm
>>>

>> I wouldn't like to store one indoors. Isn't the gas heavy and therefore
>> rises from the floor if it leaks? (Delving into memory from ancient
>> schooldays).
>> --

> I thought it was heavy and therefore sunk to the ground? Not really sure,
> to be honest!!
>
> Our floors are stone, so no sinking there - if it floated, then I'm sure
> the holey walls would take care of that!!

LOL.

Ours were on tiled floors in the bathroom and kitchen. The whole district
got the gas and on 'gas' days the men delivering just automatically went
into every house.

Ophelia

"LeRoy" > wrote in message

> "June Hughes" > wrote in message
>> In message >, Dave Fawthrop
>> > writes

>>>we
>>>
>>>In the UK LPG bottles should be stored outside or in a well ventilated
>>>area. See:
>>>http://www.solihull.gov.uk/wwwes/hs/infosheets/lpg.htm
>>>

>> I wouldn't like to store one indoors. Isn't the gas heavy and therefore
>> rises from the floor if it leaks? (Delving into memory from ancient
>> schooldays).
>> --

> I thought it was heavy and therefore sunk to the ground? Not really sure,
> to be honest!!
>
> Our floors are stone, so no sinking there - if it floated, then I'm sure
> the holey walls would take care of that!!

LOL.

Ours were on tiled floors in the bathroom and kitchen. The whole district
got the gas and on 'gas' days the men delivering just automatically went
into every house.

June Hughes

In message >, LeRoy
> writes
>
>"June Hughes" > wrote in message
>> In message >, LeRoy
>> > writes
>>>

>>>We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
>>>cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
>>>whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
>>>IMHO.
>>>
>>>We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
>>>really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be - we
>>>turn it off when we come back to the UK.
>>>

>> Slightly OT but still about bottled gas - Is that the same gas as you
>> would use for an outdoor barbie? I worry about ours.
>> --
>> June Hughes

>It is the same gas. My DH says that there is special LPG for cold outdoor
>use/ outside storage, as it freezes in colder weather!
>
>Although I trust everything he says :ŹP, I looked it up - here's the link to
>Calor -
>
>https://secure.calorgas.co.uk/orderg...=1/default.asp
>
>and there it is!!
>
> We store outside gas in the shed in winter and it's been OK, year after
>year.
>
>Pat

Great. Just the info I wanted. Thanks.

--
June Hughes
June Hughes

In message >, LeRoy
> writes
>
>"June Hughes" > wrote in message
>> In message >, LeRoy
>> > writes
>>>

>>>We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
>>>cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
>>>whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
>>>IMHO.
>>>
>>>We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
>>>really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be - we
>>>turn it off when we come back to the UK.
>>>

>> Slightly OT but still about bottled gas - Is that the same gas as you
>> would use for an outdoor barbie? I worry about ours.
>> --
>> June Hughes

>It is the same gas. My DH says that there is special LPG for cold outdoor
>use/ outside storage, as it freezes in colder weather!
>
>Although I trust everything he says :ŹP, I looked it up - here's the link to
>Calor -
>
>https://secure.calorgas.co.uk/orderg...=1/default.asp
>
>and there it is!!
>
> We store outside gas in the shed in winter and it's been OK, year after
>year.
>
>Pat

Great. Just the info I wanted. Thanks.

--
June Hughes

June Hughes

In message >, LeRoy
> writes
>
>"June Hughes" > wrote in message
>> In message >, Dave Fawthrop
>> > writes

>>>we
>>>
>>>In the UK LPG bottles should be stored outside or in a well ventilated
>>>area. See:
>>>http://www.solihull.gov.uk/wwwes/hs/infosheets/lpg.htm
>>>

>> I wouldn't like to store one indoors. Isn't the gas heavy and therefore
>> rises from the floor if it leaks? (Delving into memory from ancient
>> schooldays).
>> --

> I thought it was heavy and therefore sunk to the ground? Not really sure,
>to be honest!!

Damn! That's what I meant. Sorry. Badly put. That's what I meant by
'rises from the floor' ie starts on the floor and piles up. Must have
had a silly 5 minutes.

--
June Hughes
June Hughes

In message >, LeRoy
> writes
>
>"June Hughes" > wrote in message
>> In message >, Dave Fawthrop
>> > writes

>>>we
>>>
>>>In the UK LPG bottles should be stored outside or in a well ventilated
>>>area. See:
>>>http://www.solihull.gov.uk/wwwes/hs/infosheets/lpg.htm
>>>

>> I wouldn't like to store one indoors. Isn't the gas heavy and therefore
>> rises from the floor if it leaks? (Delving into memory from ancient
>> schooldays).
>> --

> I thought it was heavy and therefore sunk to the ground? Not really sure,
>to be honest!!

Damn! That's what I meant. Sorry. Badly put. That's what I meant by
'rises from the floor' ie starts on the floor and piles up. Must have
had a silly 5 minutes.

--
June Hughes
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:46:37 -0000, "LeRoy" >
wrote:

| It is the same gas. My DH says that there is special LPG for cold outdoor
| use/ outside storage, as it freezes in colder weather!

In cold weather you *must* use propane. Red calor bottles.
We use it in the caravan without problems in winter.

There was a classic time when we were using butane when we were tenting.
We woke up and it was literally freezing, so I lit the gas ring for a cup
of tea/coffee, Absolutely nothing. We also had a heater which screwed on
top of the cylinder. That gave a *tiny* flame which eventually warmed up
its cylinder, and gave a good heat, which I moved to work the gas ring. and
got our cups of tea/coffee. :-(((((

--
Dave F

Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

| It is the same gas. My DH says that there is special LPG for cold outdoor
| use/ outside storage, as it freezes in colder weather!

In cold weather you *must* use propane. Red calor bottles.
We use it in the caravan without problems in winter.

There was a classic time when we were using butane when we were tenting.
We woke up and it was literally freezing, so I lit the gas ring for a cup
of tea/coffee, Absolutely nothing. We also had a heater which screwed on
top of the cylinder. That gave a *tiny* flame which eventually warmed up
its cylinder, and gave a good heat, which I moved to work the gas ring. and
got our cups of tea/coffee. :-(((((

--
Dave F
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:39:59 +0000, June Hughes
> wrote:

| I wouldn't like to store one indoors. Isn't the gas heavy and therefore
| rises from the floor if it leaks? (Delving into memory from ancient
| schooldays).

No falls to the floor. Boats sometimes fill with LPG and blow up.

As a caravanner I am more up to date. The front lockers, for LPG storage,
on all caravans have large holes in the floor, and are separate from the
living area.

--
Dave F
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:39:59 +0000, June Hughes
> wrote:

| I wouldn't like to store one indoors. Isn't the gas heavy and therefore
| rises from the floor if it leaks? (Delving into memory from ancient
| schooldays).

No falls to the floor. Boats sometimes fill with LPG and blow up.

As a caravanner I am more up to date. The front lockers, for LPG storage,
on all caravans have large holes in the floor, and are separate from the
living area.

--
Dave F
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:42:37 -0000, "LeRoy" >
wrote:

| I'm sure the same health and safety guidelines are relevant in France as in
| the UK for the same product!
|
| Our bottle is stored a safe distance from the cooker in an open under
| worktop area covered in a nice not twee way (!!) by a curtain. There's lots
| of ventilation - we call it indoor camping whilst we are renovating and all
| our neighbours do the same thing. I'm sure it's as safe as I need (and I'm
| cautious).

In the UK, many houses are sealed tight against drafts, and ventilation, in
our house with UPVC doors and windows ventilation, is at a premium. June
insists that we only have ventilation through the cat flap. Not quite
true. I would be a bit careful about LPG inside. We have about half a
dozen cylinders in the garage, too valuable to throw away.

--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

| I'm sure the same health and safety guidelines are relevant in France as in
| the UK for the same product!
|
| Our bottle is stored a safe distance from the cooker in an open under
| worktop area covered in a nice not twee way (!!) by a curtain. There's lots
| of ventilation - we call it indoor camping whilst we are renovating and all
| our neighbours do the same thing. I'm sure it's as safe as I need (and I'm
| cautious).

In the UK, many houses are sealed tight against drafts, and ventilation, in
our house with UPVC doors and windows ventilation, is at a premium. June
insists that we only have ventilation through the cat flap. Not quite
true. I would be a bit careful about LPG inside. We have about half a
dozen cylinders in the garage, too valuable to throw away.

--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at
http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile.

Owain

"LeRoy" wrote
| "Dave Fawthrop" wrote
[about using LPG bottled gas for domestic kitchen hobs in the UK; uk.d-i-y
added]
| > In the UK LPG bottles should be stored outside or in a well
| > ventilated area. See:
| > http://www.solihull.gov.uk/wwwes/hs/infosheets/lpg.htm
| I'm sure the same health and safety guidelines are relevant in France
| as in the UK for the same product!

Hardly. Those continentals have all sorts of nasty habits, like electric
sockets in bathrooms.

Owain

Owain

"LeRoy" wrote
| "Dave Fawthrop" wrote
[about using LPG bottled gas for domestic kitchen hobs in the UK; uk.d-i-y
added]
| > In the UK LPG bottles should be stored outside or in a well
| > ventilated area. See:
| > http://www.solihull.gov.uk/wwwes/hs/infosheets/lpg.htm
| I'm sure the same health and safety guidelines are relevant in France
| as in the UK for the same product!

Hardly. Those continentals have all sorts of nasty habits, like electric
sockets in bathrooms.

Owain

June Hughes

In message >, Dave Fawthrop
> writes
>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:42:37 -0000, "LeRoy" >
>wrote:
>

>| I'm sure the same health and safety guidelines are relevant in France as in
>| the UK for the same product!
>|
>| Our bottle is stored a safe distance from the cooker in an open under
>| worktop area covered in a nice not twee way (!!) by a curtain. There's lots
>| of ventilation - we call it indoor camping whilst we are renovating and all
>| our neighbours do the same thing. I'm sure it's as safe as I need (and I'm
>| cautious).
>
>In the UK, many houses are sealed tight against drafts, and ventilation, in
>our house with UPVC doors and windows ventilation, is at a premium. June
>insists that we only have ventilation through the cat flap. Not quite
>true. I would be a bit careful about LPG inside. We have about half a
>dozen cylinders in the garage, too valuable to throw away.

What is your heating run on? You should have a ventilator in the wall.
(Or something equivalent). The cat-flap is not good enough. This is not
a joke, or a cheeky comment, Dave.
--
June Hughes
June Hughes

In message >, Dave Fawthrop
> writes
>On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:42:37 -0000, "LeRoy" >
>wrote:
>

>| I'm sure the same health and safety guidelines are relevant in France as in
>| the UK for the same product!
>|
>| Our bottle is stored a safe distance from the cooker in an open under
>| worktop area covered in a nice not twee way (!!) by a curtain. There's lots
>| of ventilation - we call it indoor camping whilst we are renovating and all
>| our neighbours do the same thing. I'm sure it's as safe as I need (and I'm
>| cautious).
>
>In the UK, many houses are sealed tight against drafts, and ventilation, in
>our house with UPVC doors and windows ventilation, is at a premium. June
>insists that we only have ventilation through the cat flap. Not quite
>true. I would be a bit careful about LPG inside. We have about half a
>dozen cylinders in the garage, too valuable to throw away.

What is your heating run on? You should have a ventilator in the wall.
(Or something equivalent). The cat-flap is not good enough. This is not
a joke, or a cheeky comment, Dave.
--
June Hughes
graham

"LeRoy" > wrote in message

> "June Hughes" > wrote in message
>> In message >, LeRoy
>> > writes
>>>

>>>We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
>>>cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
>>>whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
>>>IMHO.
>>>
>>>We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
>>>really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be - we
>>>turn it off when we come back to the UK.
>>>

>> Slightly OT but still about bottled gas - Is that the same gas as you
>> would use for an outdoor barbie? I worry about ours.
>> --
>> June Hughes

> It is the same gas. My DH says that there is special LPG for cold outdoor
> use/ outside storage, as it freezes in colder weather!

The school buses here use propane gas instead of petrol. The kids get a day
off sometimes in the middle of winter when the temp drops below -30șC.
Graham

New kitchen -- no more portable induction hobs! pltrgyst[_2_] General Cooking 26 24-10-2012 07:02 AM
Fisher Paykel Hobs www.internetkitchenappliances.co.uk Cooking Equipment 0 16-10-2008 09:28 AM
Induction Hobs Stu Cooking Equipment 0 19-02-2008 01:50 AM
induction hobs [email protected] General Cooking 4 28-05-2007 10:58 PM
induction hobs whome General Cooking 7 23-08-2006 01:28 AM