graham

"LeRoy" > wrote in message

> "June Hughes" > wrote in message
>> In message >, LeRoy
>> > writes
>>>

>>>We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
>>>cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
>>>whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
>>>IMHO.
>>>
>>>We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
>>>really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be - we
>>>turn it off when we come back to the UK.
>>>

>> Slightly OT but still about bottled gas - Is that the same gas as you
>> would use for an outdoor barbie? I worry about ours.
>> --
>> June Hughes

> It is the same gas. My DH says that there is special LPG for cold outdoor
> use/ outside storage, as it freezes in colder weather!

The school buses here use propane gas instead of petrol. The kids get a day
off sometimes in the middle of winter when the temp drops below -30șC.
Graham

androsann

"sarah" > wrote in message
k...
> Syke > wrote:
>
> > At present, I have an electric, solid-plate hob. Ideally, I would like

gas,
> > mainly for controlability. We aren't on mains gas and I don't want

bottled.
> > Would anyone with experience care to comment on the merits/de-merits of

the
> > other alternatives, halogen and do on, particularly regarding control.

> Pat, I'd simply comment that I didn't want bottled gas either (I think
> the bottles look too much like bombs waiting for a detonator), but after
> cooking on mains gas for 5 years, then a solid fuel/oil-fired range for
> another 6, I gritted my teeth and went for bottled gas when the
> opportunity arrived.
> I don't regret it at all.
>
> regards
> sarah
>

> --
> Think of it as evolution in action.

Here in The Bahamas we have two choices for cooking bottled gas (LPG) or
electricity which no one can afford to use. So I have been using LPG for the
past 20 years and never had any difficulty except when I buy a new stove as
the burners have to be converted to use LPG rather than natural gas.
Weirdly, a lot of our stoves come from Canada where I assume they cook with
natural.

Mind you, I wouldn't dream of keeping my gas cylinder that hold 100lb of gas
inside my house!! It has its own little shed on the outside to protect it
from the elements and only gets moved when a hurricane is coming!

Ahhh, the joys of living in the tropics.

---

Judith Umbria

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "sarah" > wrote in message
> k...
> > Syke > wrote:
> >
> >> At present, I have an electric, solid-plate hob. Ideally, I would like
> >> gas,
> >> mainly for controlability. We aren't on mains gas and I don't want
> >> bottled.
> >> Would anyone with experience care to comment on the merits/de-merits of
> >> the
> >> other alternatives, halogen and do on, particularly regarding control.

> > Pat, I'd simply comment that I didn't want bottled gas either (I think
> > the bottles look too much like bombs waiting for a detonator), but after
> > cooking on mains gas for 5 years, then a solid fuel/oil-fired range for
> > another 6, I gritted my teeth and went for bottled gas when the
> > opportunity arrived.
> > I don't regret it at all.
> >

> When I lived in Malta I was in an area of no piped gas. The bottles were
> fine and I never had any problems with them

I agree. To me the main thing was having the bottles outside, which is
unusual in Italy. Most people have them under the sink. The plumber
grumbled at having to put the copper pipes through the 3 foot thick walls,
but I then was sanguine about saftey. Now I have a buried 500 liter tank
far from the house and feel even better about it. I love having an electric
oven, but hate electric surfaces.

Judith Umbria

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "sarah" > wrote in message
> k...
> > Syke > wrote:
> >
> >> At present, I have an electric, solid-plate hob. Ideally, I would like
> >> gas,
> >> mainly for controlability. We aren't on mains gas and I don't want
> >> bottled.
> >> Would anyone with experience care to comment on the merits/de-merits of
> >> the
> >> other alternatives, halogen and do on, particularly regarding control.

> > Pat, I'd simply comment that I didn't want bottled gas either (I think
> > the bottles look too much like bombs waiting for a detonator), but after
> > cooking on mains gas for 5 years, then a solid fuel/oil-fired range for
> > another 6, I gritted my teeth and went for bottled gas when the
> > opportunity arrived.
> > I don't regret it at all.
> >

> When I lived in Malta I was in an area of no piped gas. The bottles were
> fine and I never had any problems with them

I agree. To me the main thing was having the bottles outside, which is
unusual in Italy. Most people have them under the sink. The plumber
grumbled at having to put the copper pipes through the 3 foot thick walls,
but I then was sanguine about saftey. Now I have a buried 500 liter tank
far from the house and feel even better about it. I love having an electric
oven, but hate electric surfaces.

Jane Gillett

In article > ,
sarah > wrote:
> Syke > wrote:

> > At present, I have an electric, solid-plate hob. Ideally, I would like gas,
> > mainly for controlability. We aren't on mains gas and I don't want bottled.
> > Would anyone with experience care to comment on the merits/de-merits of the
> > other alternatives, halogen and do on, particularly regarding control.

> Pat, I'd simply comment that I didn't want bottled gas either (I think
> the bottles look too much like bombs waiting for a detonator), but after
> cooking on mains gas for 5 years, then a solid fuel/oil-fired range for
> another 6, I gritted my teeth and went for bottled gas when the
> opportunity arrived.
> I don't regret it at all.

Our neighbours have "bottled gas" but in a tank which looks like an oil
tank with similar delivery arrangements. May be worth seeing what
possibilities there are there.

JAne

--

Jane Gillett : : Totnes, Devon.

Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:20:55 +0000, June Hughes
> wrote:

| In message >, Dave Fawthrop
| > writes
| >On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:42:37 -0000, "LeRoy" >
| >wrote:
| >

| >| I'm sure the same health and safety guidelines are relevant in France as in
| >| the UK for the same product!
| >|
| >| Our bottle is stored a safe distance from the cooker in an open under
| >| worktop area covered in a nice not twee way (!!) by a curtain. There's lots
| >| of ventilation - we call it indoor camping whilst we are renovating and all
| >| our neighbours do the same thing. I'm sure it's as safe as I need (and I'm
| >| cautious).
| >
| >In the UK, many houses are sealed tight against drafts, and ventilation, in
| >our house with UPVC doors and windows ventilation, is at a premium. June
| >insists that we only have ventilation through the cat flap. Not quite
| >true. I would be a bit careful about LPG inside. We have about half a
| >dozen cylinders in the garage, too valuable to throw away.
| >
| What is your heating run on? You should have a ventilator in the wall.
| (Or something equivalent). The cat-flap is not good enough. This is not
| a joke, or a cheeky comment, Dave.

We run on mains gas with the correct ventilation hole. I read the
instruction and cut the 9 sq ins hole myself. I did say the cat flap
comment was "Not quite true". I have some carefully controlled ventilation
via the windows, and a number of small gaps which I have deliberately not
sealed up. But ventilation is now at the minimum I consider reasonable.

The comment was mainly about UK housing in general. On Cooper Grove of 16
ordinary 1960s houses 10 have UPVC windows and the rest have new wooden
windows, all of which will have reduced the ventilation drastically. When
we had the old wooden windows I ran LPG for "indoor camping" without
concern. I would now be *very* careful about LPG in the house.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at

Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:20:55 +0000, June Hughes
> wrote:

| In message >, Dave Fawthrop
| > writes
| >On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:42:37 -0000, "LeRoy" >
| >wrote:
| >

| >| I'm sure the same health and safety guidelines are relevant in France as in
| >| the UK for the same product!
| >|
| >| Our bottle is stored a safe distance from the cooker in an open under
| >| worktop area covered in a nice not twee way (!!) by a curtain. There's lots
| >| of ventilation - we call it indoor camping whilst we are renovating and all
| >| our neighbours do the same thing. I'm sure it's as safe as I need (and I'm
| >| cautious).
| >
| >In the UK, many houses are sealed tight against drafts, and ventilation, in
| >our house with UPVC doors and windows ventilation, is at a premium. June
| >insists that we only have ventilation through the cat flap. Not quite
| >true. I would be a bit careful about LPG inside. We have about half a
| >dozen cylinders in the garage, too valuable to throw away.
| >
| What is your heating run on? You should have a ventilator in the wall.
| (Or something equivalent). The cat-flap is not good enough. This is not
| a joke, or a cheeky comment, Dave.

We run on mains gas with the correct ventilation hole. I read the
instruction and cut the 9 sq ins hole myself. I did say the cat flap
comment was "Not quite true". I have some carefully controlled ventilation
via the windows, and a number of small gaps which I have deliberately not
sealed up. But ventilation is now at the minimum I consider reasonable.

The comment was mainly about UK housing in general. On Cooper Grove of 16
ordinary 1960s houses 10 have UPVC windows and the rest have new wooden
windows, all of which will have reduced the ventilation drastically. When
we had the old wooden windows I ran LPG for "indoor camping" without
concern. I would now be *very* careful about LPG in the house.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs at
http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile.

Dave Fawthrop

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:08:58 GMT, "Judith Umbria" >
wrote:

| Now I have a buried 500 liter tank
| far from the house and feel even better about it.

If it has no ventilation at the bottom of the hole it is a bomb waiting to
go off. LPG falls to the bottom of holes, mixes with air and if set alight

In the UK a buried LPG tank would just not: happen, be allowed, get
insurance, or even AFAIK get filled by the supplier. They are all on the
surface. Two versions of the rules have been quoted upthread.

--
Dave F
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

| Now I have a buried 500 liter tank
| far from the house and feel even better about it.

If it has no ventilation at the bottom of the hole it is a bomb waiting to
go off. LPG falls to the bottom of holes, mixes with air and if set alight

In the UK a buried LPG tank would just not: happen, be allowed, get
insurance, or even AFAIK get filled by the supplier. They are all on the
surface. Two versions of the rules have been quoted upthread.

--
Dave F
sarah

LeRoy > wrote:

[-]

> We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
> cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
> whether that's true)

yes, it is. Propane burns hotter than natural gas. Or so I've been told
by two different certified[1] gas engineers.

regards
sarah

[1] At least I saw the gas certification. Don't know about any others
:-)

--
Think of it as evolution in action.

sarah

June Hughes > wrote:

> In message >, Dave Fawthrop
> > writes
> >On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:46:27 -0000, "LeRoy" >
> >wrote:
> >
> >| We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
> >| cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
> >| whether that's true) and it's a total necessity for my Chinese cooking,
> >| IMHO.
> >|
> >| We keep the bottle covered away under the counter in a corner and don't
> >| really worry about it at all, but it's easily turned off if needs be - we
> >| turn it off when we come back to the UK.
> >
> >In the UK LPG bottles should be stored outside or in a well ventilated
> >area. See:
> >http://www.solihull.gov.uk/wwwes/hs/infosheets/lpg.htm
> >

> I wouldn't like to store one indoors. Isn't the gas heavy and therefore
> rises from the floor if it leaks? (Delving into memory from ancient
> schooldays).

Yes, it does. But if one is aware of this and takes precautions, I don't
think I'd worry too much about it.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
Owain

"June Hughes" wrote
| >... June insists that we only have ventilation through the
| > cat flap.
| What is your heating run on? You should have a ventilator in the
| wall. (Or something equivalent). The cat-flap is not good enough.
| This is not a joke, or a cheeky comment, Dave.

Almost all British boilers are room-sealed, and take in air for combusion
and expel the by-products of combustion through a balanced flue to the
outside.

More stringent energy efficiency requirements mean that it is now difficult,
and will soon be almost impossible, to fit an open flued gas boiler in a new
installation.

Owain

Owain

"June Hughes" wrote
| >... June insists that we only have ventilation through the
| > cat flap.
| What is your heating run on? You should have a ventilator in the
| wall. (Or something equivalent). The cat-flap is not good enough.
| This is not a joke, or a cheeky comment, Dave.

Almost all British boilers are room-sealed, and take in air for combusion
and expel the by-products of combustion through a balanced flue to the
outside.

More stringent energy efficiency requirements mean that it is now difficult,
and will soon be almost impossible, to fit an open flued gas boiler in a new
installation.

Owain

sarah

Phil C. > wrote:

[-]
> ISTM that although gas is ideally preferable to even the best halogen
> hob in terms of controllability and instant heat, either is _luxury_
> compared to an Aga. I had one in the 1970s (oil-fired) and couldn't
> wait to get rid of the great useless white elephant. <Ducks and runs,
> albeit very slowly>

As the AGA heats :-)

I was very fond of the solid fuel range at times. When the wind was in
the right direction the roasting oven disgorged some lovely roasts and
bread. My MiL had an Aga installed for their XXth wedding anniversary;
she loved it, but then they could afford to have a separate electric
cooker and central heating as well. I think the ranges work quite well
for traditional dishes where fast, accurate heat is unnecessary.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.
sarah

Phil C. > wrote:

[-]
> ISTM that although gas is ideally preferable to even the best halogen
> hob in terms of controllability and instant heat, either is _luxury_
> compared to an Aga. I had one in the 1970s (oil-fired) and couldn't
> wait to get rid of the great useless white elephant. <Ducks and runs,
> albeit very slowly>

As the AGA heats :-)

I was very fond of the solid fuel range at times. When the wind was in
the right direction the roasting oven disgorged some lovely roasts and
bread. My MiL had an Aga installed for their XXth wedding anniversary;
she loved it, but then they could afford to have a separate electric
cooker and central heating as well. I think the ranges work quite well
for traditional dishes where fast, accurate heat is unnecessary.

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.

LeRoy

"sarah" > wrote in message
> LeRoy > wrote:
>
> [-]
>>
>> We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
>> cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
>> whether that's true)

> yes, it is. Propane burns hotter than natural gas. Or so I've been told
> by two different certified[1] gas engineers.
>

> regards
> sarah
>
> [1] At least I saw the gas certification. Don't know about any others
> :-)

Ahh - I knew I wasn't imagining it - in France, I'm sometimes unsure what is
real and what is red wine consumption. :Ź))

pat (in England now... :Ź} )

LeRoy

"sarah" > wrote in message
> LeRoy > wrote:
>
> [-]
>>
>> We use bottled gas in France - never any problems at all. Very
>> cost-effective, I think the flame's hotter than over here (don't know
>> whether that's true)

> yes, it is. Propane burns hotter than natural gas. Or so I've been told
> by two different certified[1] gas engineers.
>

> regards
> sarah
>
> [1] At least I saw the gas certification. Don't know about any others
> :-)

Ahh - I knew I wasn't imagining it - in France, I'm sometimes unsure what is
real and what is red wine consumption. :Ź))

pat (in England now... :Ź} )

Zikki Malambo

Dave Fawthrop > wrote in message >. ..
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:08:58 GMT, "Judith Umbria" >
> wrote:
>
> | Now I have a buried 500 liter tank
> | far from the house and feel even better about it.
>
> If it has no ventilation at the bottom of the hole it is a bomb waiting to
> go off. LPG falls to the bottom of holes, mixes with air and if set alight
>
> In the UK a buried LPG tank would just not: happen, be allowed, get
> insurance, or even AFAIK get filled by the supplier. They are all on the
> surface. Two versions of the rules have been quoted upthread.

S**T! Someone had better tell Shell and Calor they're breaking the rules!

http://www.calor.co.uk/installers/th...nderground.htm
Zikki Malambo

In uk.food+drink.misc Jane Gillett > wrote:
> In article > ,
> sarah > wrote:
> > Syke > wrote:

> > > At present, I have an electric, solid-plate hob. Ideally, I would like gas,
> > > mainly for controlability. We aren't on mains gas and I don't want bottled.
> > > Would anyone with experience care to comment on the merits/de-merits of the
> > > other alternatives, halogen and do on, particularly regarding control.

> > Pat, I'd simply comment that I didn't want bottled gas either (I think
> > the bottles look too much like bombs waiting for a detonator), but after
> > cooking on mains gas for 5 years, then a solid fuel/oil-fired range for
> > another 6, I gritted my teeth and went for bottled gas when the
> > opportunity arrived.
> > I don't regret it at all.

> Our neighbours have "bottled gas" but in a tank which looks like an oil
> tank with similar delivery arrangements. May be worth seeing what
> possibilities there are there.

Yes, that's what we have, a big gas tank about 50 yards from the house
and the 'shell tanker' fills it up regularly in winter and on demand
in summer. Ours runs the central heating boiler as well as the hob.

For a hob alone it would probably be overkill and a big 'portable'
bottle somewhere outside would be more sensible.

--
Chris Green

In uk.food+drink.misc Jane Gillett > wrote:
> In article > ,
> sarah > wrote:
> > Syke > wrote:

> > > At present, I have an electric, solid-plate hob. Ideally, I would like gas,
> > > mainly for controlability. We aren't on mains gas and I don't want bottled.
> > > Would anyone with experience care to comment on the merits/de-merits of the
> > > other alternatives, halogen and do on, particularly regarding control.

> > Pat, I'd simply comment that I didn't want bottled gas either (I think
> > the bottles look too much like bombs waiting for a detonator), but after
> > cooking on mains gas for 5 years, then a solid fuel/oil-fired range for
> > another 6, I gritted my teeth and went for bottled gas when the
> > opportunity arrived.
> > I don't regret it at all.

> Our neighbours have "bottled gas" but in a tank which looks like an oil
> tank with similar delivery arrangements. May be worth seeing what
> possibilities there are there.

Yes, that's what we have, a big gas tank about 50 yards from the house
and the 'shell tanker' fills it up regularly in winter and on demand
in summer. Ours runs the central heating boiler as well as the hob.

For a hob alone it would probably be overkill and a big 'portable'
bottle somewhere outside would be more sensible.

--
Chris Green

In uk.food+drink.misc Jane Gillett > wrote:
> In article > ,
> sarah > wrote:
> > Syke > wrote:

> > > At present, I have an electric, solid-plate hob. Ideally, I would like gas,
> > > mainly for controlability. We aren't on mains gas and I don't want bottled.
> > > Would anyone with experience care to comment on the merits/de-merits of the
> > > other alternatives, halogen and do on, particularly regarding control.

> > Pat, I'd simply comment that I didn't want bottled gas either (I think
> > the bottles look too much like bombs waiting for a detonator), but after
> > cooking on mains gas for 5 years, then a solid fuel/oil-fired range for
> > another 6, I gritted my teeth and went for bottled gas when the
> > opportunity arrived.
> > I don't regret it at all.

> Our neighbours have "bottled gas" but in a tank which looks like an oil
> tank with similar delivery arrangements. May be worth seeing what
> possibilities there are there.

Yes, that's what we have, a big gas tank about 50 yards from the house
and the 'shell tanker' fills it up regularly in winter and on demand
in summer. Ours runs the central heating boiler as well as the hob.

For a hob alone it would probably be overkill and a big 'portable'
bottle somewhere outside would be more sensible.

--
Chris Green

sarah

> In uk.food+drink.misc Jane Gillett > wrote:

[-]
> > Our neighbours have "bottled gas" but in a tank which looks like an oil
> > tank with similar delivery arrangements. May be worth seeing what
> > possibilities there are there.
> >

> Yes, that's what we have, a big gas tank about 50 yards from the house
> and the 'shell tanker' fills it up regularly in winter and on demand
> in summer. Ours runs the central heating boiler as well as the hob.
>
> For a hob alone it would probably be overkill and a big 'portable'
> bottle somewhere outside would be more sensible.

We had two of the large portable bottles -- can't remember the size, but
they're c. 4' high -- and an automatic switch installed to feed our gas
hob. The good news is that even cooking on the hob almost every evening,
the first bottle lasted about two years!

regards
sarah

--
Think of it as evolution in action.

New kitchen -- no more portable induction hobs! pltrgyst[_2_] General Cooking 26 24-10-2012 07:02 AM
Fisher Paykel Hobs www.internetkitchenappliances.co.uk Cooking Equipment 0 16-10-2008 09:28 AM
Induction Hobs Stu Cooking Equipment 0 19-02-2008 01:50 AM
induction hobs [email protected] General Cooking 4 28-05-2007 10:58 PM
induction hobs whome General Cooking 7 23-08-2006 01:28 AM