FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   Does cooking food in a microwave still retain the goodness? (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/409155-does-cooking-food-microwave.html)

wingmark 12-07-2011 10:03 AM

Does cooking food in a microwave still retain the goodness?

Hi,

The same as conventional cooking?Many things taste the same, some things taste better cooked in a microwave, and it's much quicker. I just wondered if they destroy nutrients in food though?

Regards

Kent[_5_] 14-07-2011 12:16 PM

"wingmark" > wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> The same as conventional cooking?Many things taste the same, some things
> taste better cooked in a microwave, and it's much quicker. I just
> wondered if they destroy nutrients in food though?
>
> Regards
> > --

> wingmark

Good question. Personally I doubt that it destroys. The microwave produces
heat, but just in a different way. Nothing gets hotter. The very best
cookbook that addresses that, or at last explains that is Barbara Kafka's
"Microwave Gourmet". She walks through each ingredient and how the microwave
heats it. Fat, for example, is heated more quickly than other food
components. Breakfast sausage, wrapped in a paper towel, is cooked at 3
power only for 3.33 minutes[that has something to do with hand movement at
that time of the day]. Then you can eat it, or throw it on with the pancakes
to brown them a bit. Bacon, the same way, though you lose the fat for future
cooking. I couldn't live without my microwave, always combined with the old
cooktop when necessary.

We love soufflés. The bechamel sauce and egg white combination goes into the
oven without ever hitting the top of the stove. It cuts the time by 50%,
along with less dishes to clean.

Barbara Kafka's book is the only I've seen that goes back to "what does the
microwave do?". Then you can plunge out on your own. That, of course, is
what cooking is all about, while you're making something new and better than
the old.

Buy the least expensive 1000 watt countertop microwave at Walmart to get
going. That will help you decide what you'd want if you get fancy. I'm very
happy with the 1000 watt Emerson I have that cost about $75.

You'll love it.

Kent

pavane[_3_] 14-07-2011 02:34 PM

"Kent" > wrote in message ...

| "wingmark" > wrote in message
| >
| > Hi,
| >
| > The same as conventional cooking?Many things taste the same, some things
| > taste better cooked in a microwave, and it's much quicker. I just
| > wondered if they destroy nutrients in food though?
| >
| > Regards
| > > --
| > wingmark
| >

| Good question. Personally I doubt that it destroys. The microwave produces
| heat, but just in a different way. Nothing gets hotter.

Not true. Water can be microwaved to above boiling temperatu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_OXM4mr_i0

pavane

Kent[_5_] 17-07-2011 09:17 PM

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "Kent" > wrote in message
> |
> | "wingmark" > wrote in message
> | >
> | > Hi,
> | >
> | > The same as conventional cooking?Many things taste the same, some
> things
> | > taste better cooked in a microwave, and it's much quicker. I just
> | > wondered if they destroy nutrients in food though?
> | >
> | > Regards
> | > wingmark
> | >

> | Good question. Personally I doubt that it destroys. The microwave
> produces
> | heat, but just in a different way. Nothing gets hotter.
>
> Not true. Water can be microwaved to above boiling temperatu
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_OXM4mr_i0
>
> pavane

I did not know that. Thanks for the post. This, from Argonne National Labs,
seems to be a good explanation of how this occurs. It's been a long time
since thermodynamics was in this brain.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../chem00636.htm

Kent

Kenny619 18-07-2011 06:49 PM

i want to give humbly thanks to the admin of this site i've got lots of knowledge from here

Zara M 08-08-2011 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingmark (Post 1637497)
Hi,

The same as conventional cooking?Many things taste the same, some things taste better cooked in a microwave, and it's much quicker. I just wondered if they destroy nutrients in food though?

Regards

I don't think foods cooked using microwave oven would produce a different taste. Microwave oven locks the taste and smell of the food unlike conventional cooking, from my experience. It is also healthier to cook your food in it since oil is extracted because of the heat. I'm just not sure if the nutrients were taken out.

Ed Pawlowski[_2_] 09-08-2011 03:14 AM

"Zara M" > wrote in message

> wingmark;1637497 Wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The same as conventional cooking?Many things taste the same, some things
>> taste better cooked in a microwave, and it's much quicker. I just
>> wondered if they destroy nutrients in food though?
>>
>> Regards

> I don't think foods cooked using microwave oven would produce a
> different taste. Microwave oven locks the taste and smell of the food
> unlike conventional cooking, from my experience. It is also healthier to
> cook your food in it since oil is extracted because of the heat. I'm
> just not sure if the nutrients were taken out.
>

> --
> Zara M

That would depend on what you are cooking. A microwaved potato is good, but
a real backed potato is far better.

Comparing boiled or steamed peas, green beans and the like there is little
difference. Carrots, IMO, are much better roasted or sautéed.

villium 19-08-2011 06:45 AM

Microwave is a best equipment for making food.It is easily be prepare.It is mostly used in Asia.