FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   SousVide Cooking (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/408231-re-sousvide-cooking.html)

zydecogary 10-06-2011 02:49 AM

SousVide Cooking

On Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:28:47 PM UTC-4, Kent wrote:
> "zydecogary" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, June 5, 2011 7:04:08 PM UTC-4, Kent wrote:
>
> > In addition to whatever you pay for the water bath component you have to
> > have a vacuum sealer for about $150. Each time you cook you have to use a
> > bag costing about $.60.

> Not at all ......
>
> You can use the big vacuum 'FoodSaver' type equipment -- some are expensive
> [I have one for which I paid about $85], but some other brands only cost as
> little as $20 [check the Internet - I just did.]
>
> Even FoodSaver has a rechargeable hand vacuum pump that you can use with
> it's bags with the built in valve that is currently being touted by QVC
> (K29727) that is $30. [I have one and use it for this purpose.]
>
> Vacuum Sealers are often available at yard sales as people upgrade their
> units to newer models and sell there own. You can pick up an old Tilia or a
> Daisy Seal-A-Meal for pennies that can be used for preparing the Sous Vide
> bags.
>
> You can get the new Vacuum Bags with the 'zip' closing and the built in air
> valve
>
> Examples:
>
> ===Ziploc (SC Johnson) Vacuum Bags -
> http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages...me=Starter_Kit
>
> ===FoodSaver Vacuum Bags -
> http://www.foodsaver.com/Category.aspx?id=c&cid=1185
>
> ===Reynolds Handi-Vac Bags -
> http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldsk...ac/en/home.asp
>
> ===Debbi Meyers/Reynolds at HSN -
> http://kitchen-dining.hsn.com/debbie...ining-_-957814
>
> These bags are REUSABLE. REUSABLE.
>
> With these you can use either the larger machines, the small hand held
> machines or you can get a $2.50 hand pump sold by Ziploc (SC Johnson) in the
> grocery store that does an excellent job.
>
> You can ALSO use regular Ziploc or Glad bags driving out the air by using
> the easy Water Pressure Trick.
>
> From the Internet: "...we vacuum seal the easy and frugal way. Place
> contents in a Ziploc bag and immerse in a sink full of water, keeping opened
> end of bag just above the water line. The pressure of the water against the
> outside of the bag will force out all the air in it. And, voila, it's done.
> Zip shut and you're good to go!"
>
> This is a pretty good approximation to a bag who's air was extracted by a
> vacuum machine -- for the purpose of home experimental Sous Vide cooking.
>
> I happen to have a number of types of vacuum devices. A regular FoodSaver
> device (mainly use for long term freezer storage with roll bags), the
> aforementioned rechargeable hand vacuum device which I mainly use with the
> vacuum bags and vacuum containers, an electric vacuum device also made by
> FoodSaver initially for vacuuming wine bottles to maintain freshness -- but
> it works great with the vacuum bags using an adapter and also for the
> FoodSaver vacuum containers. I also have the Reynolds battery hand vacuum
> device that works with bags. In addition I have two types of cheap hand
> [...]

I get at least one or two a week in the mail. One directly from BBB and one as a coupon in a magazine type weekly publication. I don't believe that the coupons are good for BBB mail order -- only in the store and I haven't checked to see if they are carrying them in the stores as yet. It's a little trip for me.

I use ZipLock and other types of vacuume bags for my pseudo Sous Vide at home. I am still highly interested in obtaining a home model.

I did another piece of roast the other day and it came out pink from edge to edge -- perfect. I have both an electric and a hand pump to void the bags of air. I also have a FoodSaver.

Gary