Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Default That Pyrex thing...

"Jean B." wrote:

> Arri London wrote:
> >
> > Goomba wrote:

> >> FYI-
> >> One of the best places around here to get the old classic borosilicate
> >> glass cookware are the antique/junk type shops. Often at a remarkably
> >> low price! If anyone wants to find some, that's the place to go!

> > Just be cautious and inspect the items carefully. There's no way of
> > knowing the history of any piece. Certain stresses/types of damage can
> > cause the cookware to fail unexpectedly. Might be wise to stay away from
> > any piece with nicks or scratches.

> Also, there is no way of knowing how old much of the stuff in such
> stores is. Sure, I assume such cookware with certain designs stem
> from before this was an issue, but the plain things?

Sometimes it's obvious from the design...the overall shape, especially
the handles. Some of our older Pyrex is thicker/heavier than the same
diameter pieces now available. And our Corningware is all 'cornflower'
design. The all-white styles are a bit more recent.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On 1/13/2011 7:23 PM, Arri London wrote:
> "Jean B." wrote:
>> Arri London wrote:
>>> Just be cautious and inspect the items carefully. There's no way of
>>> knowing the history of any piece. Certain stresses/types of damage can
>>> cause the cookware to fail unexpectedly. Might be wise to stay away from
>>> any piece with nicks or scratches.

>> Also, there is no way of knowing how old much of the stuff in such
>> stores is. Sure, I assume such cookware with certain designs stem
>> from before this was an issue, but the plain things?

> Sometimes it's obvious from the design...the overall shape, especially
> the handles. Some of our older Pyrex is thicker/heavier than the same
> diameter pieces now available. And our Corningware is all 'cornflower'
> design. The all-white styles are a bit more recent.

Interestingly, the French-made CorningWare I saw last month, included
pieces with the old cornflower design, as well as the all-white stuff.
None of the other patterns, though (of which there were a bewildering
variety).
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> "Jean B." wrote:
>>
>> Arri London wrote:

>> > Just be cautious and inspect the items carefully. There's no way of
>> > knowing the history of any piece. Certain stresses/types of damage can
>> > cause the cookware to fail unexpectedly. Might be wise to stay away
>> > from
>> > any piece with nicks or scratches.

>> Also, there is no way of knowing how old much of the stuff in such
>> stores is. Sure, I assume such cookware with certain designs stem
>> from before this was an issue, but the plain things?
>>

> Sometimes it's obvious from the design...the overall shape, especially
> the handles. Some of our older Pyrex is thicker/heavier than the same
> diameter pieces now available. And our Corningware is all 'cornflower'
> design. The all-white styles are a bit more recent.

I have one old, scratched cornflower piece that belonged to my mom. Then
when I lived on Cape Cod, at least 12-13 years ago, a Woolworth's went out
of business. I bought a very large set in the pansy pattern. Daughter
dropped one of the smaller pieces and it broke. I was able to replace it
and also got another piece from Ebay. I think they were used but you
couldn't tell it.

I also recently bought a couple of the white pieces because I needed more
casseroles in the smaller sizes since it is just daughter and I here most of
the time. I have had no problems with them but I am careful with them. I
read somewhere that you should not even set them on the top of the stove
when you take them from the oven. I do put them there but on a burner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Arri London wrote:

> "Jean B." wrote:
>> Arri London wrote:

>>> Just be cautious and inspect the items carefully. There's no way of
>>> knowing the history of any piece. Certain stresses/types of damage can
>>> cause the cookware to fail unexpectedly. Might be wise to stay away from
>>> any piece with nicks or scratches.

>> Also, there is no way of knowing how old much of the stuff in such
>> stores is. Sure, I assume such cookware with certain designs stem
>> from before this was an issue, but the plain things?
>>

> Sometimes it's obvious from the design...the overall shape, especially
> the handles. Some of our older Pyrex is thicker/heavier than the same
> diameter pieces now available. And our Corningware is all 'cornflower'
> design. The all-white styles are a bit more recent.

Yes, the cornflower design and some others stand out and are old.
So ALL of the white Corelle was produced after the change? I
obviously need to look into Pyrex (especially). I have quite a
lot of it, old mixed with newer, and I have NO idea what vintage
much of it is!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

I've always been a bit nervous about this. I love my glass pans, but
they are made by Anchor Hocking and about 5 years old... basically
"guaranteed" to be the soda glass.

-J

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Jean B." > wrote in
<snip>

> Yes, the cornflower design and some others stand out and are
> old.
> So ALL of the white Corelle was produced after the change?
> obviously need to look into Pyrex (especially). I have quite
> a lot of it, old mixed with newer, and I have NO idea what
> vintage much of it is!

I'm wondering if there is a site that would tell the different
years these were made. Now that would be nice to know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 22:21:25 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

> So ALL of the white Corelle was produced after the change?

No, definitely not.

I have all-white pieces that are more than 20 years old.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

sandi wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in
> <snip>
>
>> Yes, the cornflower design and some others stand out and are
>> old.
>> So ALL of the white Corelle was produced after the change?
>> obviously need to look into Pyrex (especially). I have quite
>> a lot of it, old mixed with newer, and I have NO idea what
>> vintage much of it is!

> I'm wondering if there is a site that would tell the different
> years these were made. Now that would be nice to know.

I started a search. I don't know whether there is such a thing
and don't have time to explore it further now. It would seem that
the plain items are the most difficult to date.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On 1/14/2011 11:34 AM, Jean B. wrote:
> sandi wrote:
>> "Jean B." > wrote in
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Yes, the cornflower design and some others stand out and are
>>> old. So ALL of the white Corelle was produced after the change? I
>>> obviously need to look into Pyrex (especially). I have quite
>>> a lot of it, old mixed with newer, and I have NO idea what
>>> vintage much of it is!

>> I'm wondering if there is a site that would tell the different years
>> these were made. Now that would be nice to know.
>>

> I started a search. I don't know whether there is such a thing and don't
> have time to explore it further now. It would seem that the plain items
> are the most difficult to date.

I've seen booklets on eBay, which claim to have information on the dates
of the various patterns. Apparently, some of them are considered
'collectible'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

sandi wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in
> <snip>
>
>> Yes, the cornflower design and some others stand out and are
>> old.
>> So ALL of the white Corelle was produced after the change?
>> obviously need to look into Pyrex (especially). I have quite
>> a lot of it, old mixed with newer, and I have NO idea what
>> vintage much of it is!

> I'm wondering if there is a site that would tell the different
> years these were made. Now that would be nice to know.

PS. Here's a site on Pyrex etc. I am not seeing an area devoted
to dates, but it is interesting nonetheless. Note the books to
the right of the page. I wonder whether they contain dates? I
will take a quick look when I next see such a book in person.

http://www.pyrexlove.com/

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

S Viemeister wrote:
> On 1/14/2011 11:34 AM, Jean B. wrote:
>> sandi wrote:
>>> "Jean B." > wrote in
>>> <snip>

>>> I'm wondering if there is a site that would tell the different years
>>> these were made. Now that would be nice to know.
>>>

>> I started a search. I don't know whether there is such a thing and don't
>> have time to explore it further now. It would seem that the plain items
>> are the most difficult to date.
>>

> I've seen booklets on eBay, which claim to have information on the dates
> of the various patterns. Apparently, some of them are considered
> 'collectible'.

Yes, I was thinking that. Now I kind-of wish I had kept more of
my mother's ugly old stuff.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

phaeton wrote:

> I've always been a bit nervous about this. I love my glass pans, but
> they are made by Anchor Hocking and about 5 years old... basically
> "guaranteed" to be the soda glass.
>
> -J

Isn't the borosilicate Anchor Hocking called 'Fire-King'? Or are they
using that name for soda-lime glass now?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> sandi wrote:
>> "Jean B." > wrote in
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Yes, the cornflower design and some others stand out and are
>>> old. So ALL of the white Corelle was produced after the change? I
>>> obviously need to look into Pyrex (especially). I have quite
>>> a lot of it, old mixed with newer, and I have NO idea what
>>> vintage much of it is!

>> I'm wondering if there is a site that would tell the different years
>> these were made. Now that would be nice to know.
>>

> PS. Here's a site on Pyrex etc. I am not seeing an area devoted to
> dates, but it is interesting nonetheless. Note the books to the right of
> the page. I wonder whether they contain dates? I will take a quick look
> when I next see such a book in person.
>
> http://www.pyrexlove.com/

I have a couple of those two sided dishes. One is missing the lid. They
are great for when I want to fix two different vegetables for dinner. And I
used the lidded one a lot to keep my husband's food warm when he got home
late from work. I got one at a yard sale in PA and another from Ebay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

In article >, "Jean B." >
wrote:
> > of the various patterns. Apparently, some of them are considered
> > 'collectible'.

> Yes, I was thinking that. Now I kind-of wish I had kept more of
> my mother's ugly old stuff.

Why? A memento? To use?

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, "Jean B." >
> wrote:
>>> of the various patterns. Apparently, some of them are considered
>>> 'collectible'.

>> Yes, I was thinking that. Now I kind-of wish I had kept more of
>> my mother's ugly old stuff.

> Why? A memento? To use?

Oh, I use the things. I just thought they were ugly. I couldn't
save everything--or even a fraction of things my parents had. But
since it is higher quality... and the pieces with designs are
easy to recognize...

Actually, I have one of her custard cups sitting in front of me.
Hmmm. I don't see it on that site. I am now trying to find a
good site for old Corelle.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Jean B." > wrote in
<snip>

> http://www.pyrexlove.com/

Thanks!

I'm looking through it now.
I didn't realize there were SO many patterns!

Copy/pasted from http://www.pyrexlove.com/how-to-price-pyrex/

* Advertising / Specialty
* Americana
* Autumn Harvest
* Brittany Blue
* Burgundy
* Butterfly Gold
* Butterprint
* Colonial Mist
* Copper Filigree
* Crazy Daisy
* Daisy
* Desert Dawn
* Designs
* Early American
* Federal Eagle
* Forest Fancies
* Foulard
* Friendship
* Gold Acorn
* Golden Honeysuckle
* Gooseberry
* Harvest Home
* Holly Days
* Homestead
* Horizon Blue
* Morning Blue
* New Dots
* Old Orchard
* Old Town
* Pink Daisy
* Promotional / Unknown
* Rainbow Stripes
* Ribbon Bouquet
* Snowflake
* Snowflake Blue
* Solid Colors
* Spring Blossom Green
* Square Flowers
* Summer Impressions
* Terra
* Town & Country
* Trailing Flowers
* Verde
* Woodland

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Jean B." > wrote in
:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> Yes, I was thinking that. Now I kind-of wish I had kept
>>> more of my mother's ugly old stuff.

>> Why? A memento? To use?
>>

> Oh, I use the things. I just thought they were ugly. I
> couldn't save everything--or even a fraction of things my
> parents had. But since it is higher quality... and the
> pieces with designs are easy to recognize...
>
> Actually, I have one of her custard cups sitting in front of
> me. Hmmm. I don't see it on that site. I am now trying to
> find a good site for old Corelle.

I just found this:
http://www-link.com/cgi-bin/odbic.ex...ns/corelle.asp

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

In article >, "Jean B." >
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >> Yes, I was thinking that. Now I kind-of wish I had kept more of
> >> my mother's ugly old stuff.

> > Why? A memento? To use?
> >

> Oh, I use the things. I just thought they were ugly.

<grin>

> I couldn't save everything--or even a fraction of things my parents
> had.

You need to hang around with The Widow Dorothy. She's got crap from her
mom, crap from her aunts. And she's convinced it's all worth something
because "it's an antique."

> But since it is higher quality... and the pieces with designs
> are easy to recognize...

I'm still kicking myself for offloading the Magnalite chicken fryer that
was Mom's. What was I thinking! I do have the big oval aluminum
roaster, though (it's deep and has a cover).

> Actually, I have one of her custard cups sitting in front of me.
> Hmmm. I don't see it on that site. I am now trying to find a
> good site for old Corelle.

:-) I have a stash of custard cups - a shape different from those now
available, mine are deeper and I use them for popovers.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
Pepparkakor particulars posted 11-29-2010;
http://web.me.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On 1/16/2011 8:30 PM, Arri London wrote:
> S Viemeister wrote:
>> Yes, French White CorningWare has vertical ribs around it. It
>> post-dates the squareish ones with grips on each side. The new
>> 'CorningWare' has a version of the ribbed French White, but in stoneware.
>> I have a number of pieces of the traditional shapes in white, as well as
>> French White, a few Cornflower, and some yellow pieces, which were only
>> produced for a short time.

> We have quite a few Cornflower pieces. TMU worked in retail and was
> given a few pieces by a Corning rep. My father liked it so much, he went
> out and bought more LOL. Good thing. A couple of years later it was
> discontinued. Not ever getting rid of those.

_Very_ useful stuff.
Cooking (stove-top, oven, microwave) storing (fridge, freezer)
attractive enough for table use...chip and break resistant, doesn't rust
like Le Chartreuse (and nowhere near as heavy!)...and easy to clean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On 1/16/2011 8:31 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 1/16/2011 8:30 PM, Arri London wrote:
>> S Viemeister wrote:
>>> Yes, French White CorningWare has vertical ribs around it. It
>>> post-dates the squareish ones with grips on each side. The new
>>> 'CorningWare' has a version of the ribbed French White, but in
>>> stoneware.
>>> I have a number of pieces of the traditional shapes in white, as well as
>>> French White, a few Cornflower, and some yellow pieces, which were only
>>> produced for a short time.

>> We have quite a few Cornflower pieces. TMU worked in retail and was
>> given a few pieces by a Corning rep. My father liked it so much, he went
>> out and bought more LOL. Good thing. A couple of years later it was
>> discontinued. Not ever getting rid of those.
> >

> _Very_ useful stuff.
> Cooking (stove-top, oven, microwave) storing (fridge, freezer)
> attractive enough for table use...chip and break resistant, doesn't rust
> like Le Chartreuse (and nowhere near as heavy!)...and easy to clean.

Good heavens! My spell checker obviously doesn't like heavy French
cookware...(chartreuse???)
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

S Viemeister wrote:

> On 1/16/2011 8:31 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> >>
> >> We have quite a few Cornflower pieces. TMU worked in retail and was
> >> given a few pieces by a Corning rep. My father liked it so much, he went
> >> out and bought more LOL. Good thing. A couple of years later it was
> >> discontinued. Not ever getting rid of those.
> > >

> > _Very_ useful stuff.
> > Cooking (stove-top, oven, microwave) storing (fridge, freezer)
> > attractive enough for table use...chip and break resistant, doesn't rust
> > like Le Chartreuse (and nowhere near as heavy!)...and easy to clean.
> >

> Good heavens! My spell checker obviously doesn't like heavy French
> cookware...(chartreuse???)

LOL but that is a French word as well, n'est-ce pas?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On 1/17/2011 8:28 PM, Arri London wrote:

> S Viemeister wrote:

>>> _Very_ useful stuff.
>>> Cooking (stove-top, oven, microwave) storing (fridge, freezer)
>>> attractive enough for table use...chip and break resistant, doesn't rust
>>> like Le Chartreuse (and nowhere near as heavy!)...and easy to clean.
>>>

>> Good heavens! My spell checker obviously doesn't like heavy French
>> cookware...(chartreuse???)

> LOL but that is a French word as well, n'est-ce pas?

Oui. My spell checker may be smarter than I thought...
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

sandi wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in
> :
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> In article >, "Jean B."
>>> Why? A memento? To use?
>>>

>> Oh, I use the things. I just thought they were ugly. I
>> couldn't save everything--or even a fraction of things my
>> parents had. But since it is higher quality... and the
>> pieces with designs are easy to recognize...
>>
>> Actually, I have one of her custard cups sitting in front of
>> me. Hmmm. I don't see it on that site. I am now trying to
>> find a good site for old Corelle.

> I just found this:
> http://www-link.com/cgi-bin/odbic.ex...ns/corelle.asp

That looks potentially useful. I wish their were thumbnails though.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >, "Jean B." >
> wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>> Why? A memento? To use?
>>>

>> Oh, I use the things. I just thought they were ugly.

> <grin>
>
>> I couldn't save everything--or even a fraction of things my parents
>> had.

> You need to hang around with The Widow Dorothy. She's got crap from her
> mom, crap from her aunts. And she's convinced it's all worth something
> because "it's an antique."
>
>> But since it is higher quality... and the pieces with designs
>> are easy to recognize...

> I'm still kicking myself for offloading the Magnalite chicken fryer that
> was Mom's. What was I thinking! I do have the big oval aluminum
> roaster, though (it's deep and has a cover).
>
>> Actually, I have one of her custard cups sitting in front of me.
>> Hmmm. I don't see it on that site. I am now trying to find a
>> good site for old Corelle.

> :-) I have a stash of custard cups - a shape different from those now
> available, mine are deeper and I use them for popovers.

It took me a LONG time to find some custard cups for popovers. I
guess mom's gradually were broken. I have picked up too many of
the smaller ones at sales, but the other are relatively hard to
find. I forgot to see whether custards were still sold in those
cups in Japan. (I wish I'd saved more of THEM too.)

Soon, popovers. I read a while ago that popovers do better when
made in custard cups. I REALLY don't like the popover pan!

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Jean B." > wrote:

-snip-
>It took me a LONG time to find some custard cups for popovers. I
>guess mom's gradually were broken. I have picked up too many of
>the smaller ones at sales, but the other are relatively hard to
>find. I forgot to see whether custards were still sold in those
>cups in Japan. (I wish I'd saved more of THEM too.)
>
>Soon, popovers. I read a while ago that popovers do better when
>made in custard cups. I REALLY don't like the popover pan!

How come? I did them in muffin tins for years & am pleased with the
results in the metal popover pan- this is mine-
http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Metall.../dp/B003YL3DWO

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On 1/18/2011 8:35 PM, Arri London wrote:
> S Viemeister wrote:
>>> LOL but that is a French word as well, n'est-ce pas?

>> Oui. My spell checker may be smarter than I thought...

> Or you put in a recipe that specified Chartreuse as one of the
> ingredients and added it to the dictionary?

Perhaps someone else has been meddling with my computer...

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

S Viemeister wrote:

> On 1/17/2011 8:28 PM, Arri London wrote:
> >

> > S Viemeister wrote:

> >> Good heavens! My spell checker obviously doesn't like heavy French
> >> cookware...(chartreuse???)

> > LOL but that is a French word as well, n'est-ce pas?

> Oui. My spell checker may be smarter than I thought...

Or you put in a recipe that specified Chartreuse as one of the
ingredients and added it to the dictionary?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

S Viemeister wrote:

> On 1/18/2011 8:35 PM, Arri London wrote:

<snip>

> >> Oui. My spell checker may be smarter than I thought...

> > Or you put in a recipe that specified Chartreuse as one of the
> > ingredients and added it to the dictionary?
> >

> Perhaps someone else has been meddling with my computer...

There is that, of course. Time to get out the tin foil, is it
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On 1/18/2011 8:56 PM, Arri London wrote:
> S Viemeister wrote:
>>> Or you put in a recipe that specified Chartreuse as one of the
>>> ingredients and added it to the dictionary?

>> Perhaps someone else has been meddling with my computer...

> There is that, of course. Time to get out the tin foil, is it

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>

> -snip-
>> It took me a LONG time to find some custard cups for popovers. I
>> guess mom's gradually were broken. I have picked up too many of
>> the smaller ones at sales, but the other are relatively hard to
>> find. I forgot to see whether custards were still sold in those
>> cups in Japan. (I wish I'd saved more of THEM too.)
>>
>> Soon, popovers. I read a while ago that popovers do better when
>> made in custard cups. I REALLY don't like the popover pan!

> How come? I did them in muffin tins for years & am pleased with the
> results in the metal popover pan- this is mine-
> http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Metall.../dp/B003YL3DWO
>
> Jim

I forget why custard cups are supposed to be best.

Yes, that looks like the pan. Mainly, I didn't like washing
it--at least that's what I remember. There must have been
something else about it too.

Hmmm. Maybe it coincides with my using the cold oven method. I
remember mom's popovers were very dark. She discovered that other
method, and I don't recall how her popovers were after that.
Mine never are as good as hers were--or perhaps I should say as
good as I remember hers being.

--
Jean B.

Life without Pyrex? Polly Esther[_2_] General Cooking 94 28-01-2013 04:26 AM
Pyrex tom General Cooking 5 02-04-2011 02:35 PM
That Pyrex thing... Chemiker General Cooking 58 20-01-2011 01:06 AM
That Pyrex thing... sandi Cooking Equipment 0 15-01-2011 03:10 AM
Why did Pyrex discontinue these? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 9 19-12-2005 04:25 PM