Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default The All-Clad vs. Tramontina Skillet Showdown

Excellent NEW article

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/e...ad-vs-tramonti...

or

http://bit.ly/9sXJxr

Equipment: The All-Clad vs. Tramontina Skillet Showdown
From 'Serious Eats'

Gary Hayman
Greenbelt, Maryland
http://bit.ly/GarysInfo
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 08:51:10 -0700 (PDT), zydecogary
> wrote:

>Excellent NEW article
>
>http://bit.ly/9sXJxr
>
>Equipment: The All-Clad vs. Tramontina Skillet Showdown
>From 'Serious Eats'

Pretty good overall, but IMO, he's confused when it comes to "Speed",
and incorporates heat retention into that factor. Personally, I want my
SS skillets and saute pans to react quickly to changes in the heat
source. If I didn't, I'd be using my cast iron.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> zydecogary > wrote:
>
>> Excellent NEW article
>>
>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/08/e...ad-vs-tramonti...
>>

>> or
>>

>> http://bit.ly/9sXJxr
>>

>> Equipment: The All-Clad vs. Tramontina Skillet Showdown
>> From 'Serious Eats'

> Do you know what a pizza stone is? Of course you do. You can get an
> unglazed clay tile from Home Depot for a buck or two, and there you go.
> Pizza stone.
>
> Oh, but look at what All-Clad sells:
>
> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=13584001
>
> yes sir, for only A HUNDRED AND TWENTY DOLLARS! Oh, but they do include
> the useless carrying ring. And don't forget that uber-stainless rolling
> knife!

they also provide a lifetime warranty, which I doubt Home Depot does.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wallace" > wrote
>> Oh, but look at what All-Clad sells:
>>
>> http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=13584001
>>
>> yes sir, for only A HUNDRED AND TWENTY DOLLARS! Oh, but they do include
>> the useless carrying ring. And don't forget that uber-stainless rolling
>> knife!

> they also provide a lifetime warranty, which I doubt Home Depot does.

"Limited Lifetime Warranty" Pretty useless if the stone breaks in use
unless you can prove defective material , just like the ones fro Home Depot.

It is soapstone and not ceramic so it probably is more durable, Just not
something I'd pay that kind of money for though.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 21:25:41 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>For that money, they should provide lifetime hookers to bake the pizza
>naked.

That's the first sensible suggestion you've ever made!

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 21:12:50 -0400 in rec.food.equipment, "Ed Pawlowski"
> wrote,
> "Limited Lifetime Warranty" Pretty useless if the stone breaks in use
>unless you can prove defective material , just like the ones fro Home Depot.
>
>It is soapstone and not ceramic so it probably is more durable,

You think so, why? I would guess ceramic of equal thickness is probably
a lot more durable. Just going by my experience with soapstone marking
sticks, which snap easily.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"David Harmon" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 21:12:50 -0400 in rec.food.equipment, "Ed Pawlowski"
> > wrote,
>> "Limited Lifetime Warranty" Pretty useless if the stone breaks in use
>>unless you can prove defective material , just like the ones fro Home
>>Depot.
>>
>>It is soapstone and not ceramic so it probably is more durable,

> You think so, why? I would guess ceramic of equal thickness is probably
> a lot more durable. Just going by my experience with soapstone marking
> sticks, which snap easily.

They build wood burning stoves from soapstone. It can take a lot of heat
and expansion/contraction cycles.