Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default induction cooktops

Hi All,

Today is the day I meet with the kitchen designer, having pretty
much tackled two bathrooms, and an unfinished floor of the new
house. The new house currently has a gas stove (both burners and
oven). My initial thought was that I'd switch to a dual-fuel
stove--or a gas cooktop and an electric wall oven. I increasingly
find myself pondering whether I just want a new* powereful
induction cooktop.

*I currently have a cooktop with two induction burners. This
Jenn-Air cooktop, which was all I could find back in 1999, is
pretty feeble, but I really like cooking on the induction burners,
especially in the summer. In the intervening time, more-powerful
induction cooktops have become available in the United States, and
I'd like to see thoughts on them. Over the years, I bookmarked
quite a lot of relevant into, but recently most of my bookmarks
disappeared....

Thanks for any relevant insights you can give on this topic. I
think I'll start here in the interim:

http://theinductionsite.com/hob-make...obs.shtml#SITE

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >, Jean B. wrote:

> Thanks for any relevant insights you can give on this topic.

You might find this recent thread on chowhound helpful:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/680049

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Today is the day I meet with the kitchen designer, having pretty
> much tackled two bathrooms, and an unfinished floor of the new
> house. The new house currently has a gas stove (both burners and
> oven). My initial thought was that I'd switch to a dual-fuel
> stove--or a gas cooktop and an electric wall oven. I increasingly
> find myself pondering whether I just want a new* powereful
> induction cooktop.
>
> *I currently have a cooktop with two induction burners. This
> Jenn-Air cooktop, which was all I could find back in 1999, is
> pretty feeble, but I really like cooking on the induction burners,
> especially in the summer. In the intervening time, more-powerful
> induction cooktops have become available in the United States, and
> I'd like to see thoughts on them. Over the years, I bookmarked
> quite a lot of relevant into, but recently most of my bookmarks
> disappeared....
>
> Thanks for any relevant insights you can give on this topic. I
> think I'll start here in the interim:
>
> http://theinductionsite.com/hob-make...obs.shtml#SITE

I have one and I can attest to it's
value for cooking. Having said that, you
should see if a real world test is
available. I continually find that when
trying to adjust the temp, if your
finger has any moisture on it at all, it
is difficult to get the sensor to
work...and my finger almost always seems
to be moist when I'm using it.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Jean B. wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Today is the day I meet with the kitchen designer, having pretty
> much tackled two bathrooms, and an unfinished floor of the new
> house. The new house currently has a gas stove (both burners and
> oven). My initial thought was that I'd switch to a dual-fuel
> stove--or a gas cooktop and an electric wall oven. I increasingly
> find myself pondering whether I just want a new* powereful
> induction cooktop.
>
> *I currently have a cooktop with two induction burners. This
> Jenn-Air cooktop, which was all I could find back in 1999, is
> pretty feeble, but I really like cooking on the induction burners,
> especially in the summer. In the intervening time, more-powerful
> induction cooktops have become available in the United States, and
> I'd like to see thoughts on them.

You raise my curiosity so let me bring up a point or two that may help you
evaluate. . First, let me say I've never cooked on induction, but I've
cooked on electric coils and hated them, and have gone back to gas for the
past 25 years or so.

If you now have induction (and the cookware needed for it), why are you
considering gas? As much as you like induction, do you think that you'd
really prefer the gas flame? After 10 years, I'd have thought you'd be
pretty much convinced one way or the other. If you are not, visit a friend
with a good gas range and offer to cook a meal. It may sway you in one
direction after playing with it for a couple of hours. You certainly don't
want to spend a lot of money and find you really are not fully happy with
your choice.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Seth Goodman wrote:
> In article >, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Thanks for any relevant insights you can give on this topic.
>>

> You might find this recent thread on chowhound helpful:
>
> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/680049

Thank you! I will read through that later today.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
> In article
> >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Today is the day I meet with the kitchen designer, having pretty
>> much tackled two bathrooms, and an unfinished floor of the new
>> house. The new house currently has a gas stove (both burners and
>> oven). My initial thought was that I'd switch to a dual-fuel
>> stove--or a gas cooktop and an electric wall oven. I increasingly
>> find myself pondering whether I just want a new* powereful
>> induction cooktop.
>>
>> *I currently have a cooktop with two induction burners. This
>> Jenn-Air cooktop, which was all I could find back in 1999, is
>> pretty feeble, but I really like cooking on the induction burners,
>> especially in the summer. In the intervening time, more-powerful
>> induction cooktops have become available in the United States, and
>> I'd like to see thoughts on them. Over the years, I bookmarked
>> quite a lot of relevant into, but recently most of my bookmarks
>> disappeared....
>>
>> Thanks for any relevant insights you can give on this topic. I
>> think I'll start here in the interim:
>>
>> http://theinductionsite.com/hob-make...obs.shtml#SITE

> I have one and I can attest to it's
> value for cooking. Having said that, you
> should see if a real world test is
> available. I continually find that when
> trying to adjust the temp, if your
> finger has any moisture on it at all, it
> is difficult to get the sensor to
> work...and my finger almost always seems
> to be moist when I'm using it.

So this is a touch type of sensor then? Maybe something to look
out for? My current cooktop has knobs.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Today is the day I meet with the kitchen designer, having pretty
>> much tackled two bathrooms, and an unfinished floor of the new
>> house. The new house currently has a gas stove (both burners and
>> oven). My initial thought was that I'd switch to a dual-fuel
>> stove--or a gas cooktop and an electric wall oven. I increasingly
>> find myself pondering whether I just want a new* powereful
>> induction cooktop.
>>
>> *I currently have a cooktop with two induction burners. This
>> Jenn-Air cooktop, which was all I could find back in 1999, is
>> pretty feeble, but I really like cooking on the induction burners,
>> especially in the summer. In the intervening time, more-powerful
>> induction cooktops have become available in the United States, and
>> I'd like to see thoughts on them.

> You raise my curiosity so let me bring up a point or two that may help you
> evaluate. . First, let me say I've never cooked on induction, but I've
> cooked on electric coils and hated them, and have gone back to gas for the
> past 25 years or so.
>
> If you now have induction (and the cookware needed for it), why are you
> considering gas? As much as you like induction, do you think that you'd
> really prefer the gas flame? After 10 years, I'd have thought you'd be
> pretty much convinced one way or the other. If you are not, visit a friend
> with a good gas range and offer to cook a meal. It may sway you in one
> direction after playing with it for a couple of hours. You certainly don't
> want to spend a lot of money and find you really are not fully happy with
> your choice.

Well, the house currently has gas stoves. I had been thinking
that would be nice, especially compared to the two noninduction
burners on our current cooktop, which cycle on and off in a very
dysfunctional way. I was thinking I would just go with the gas,
and also get single-burner induction unit, since I do so like
cooking with induction. Then I started thinking that a) I ALWAYS
use my induction burners, and b) I am really not used to cooking
with gas.

Since I don't want a gas oven, I was already thinking that I would
be buying a cooktop and an oven.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

I grew up in a house with gas, and recall the oocasional neighborhood
explosions fondly. Come to think of it, we had one a mile or so from
here last year... 8

My brother had a high-end gas cooktop installed in his new house in
Dallas a couple of years ago, and I looked forward to trying it. I was
sorely disappointed in its performance, by comparison to the recent
glass cooktops I'm used to.

I've been through four induction hobs in the last year, and still have
-- and use -- two of them. For efficiency in heat transfer and keeping
the kitchen cool, they just can't be beaten. But I still haven't found
one that satisfies all my requirements:

1. Has an automatic shut-off *with at least a 30-second delay*. It is
mighty inconvenient when you move a pan slightly, or pic kit up to
flip or shake, and the hob shuts off, and you have to run through the
temperature or level setting sequence again.

2. Has either user-settable or perfectly chosen temperature settings:
on at 150 or less, one just below boiling water, one just above
boiling water, and then every 50 (or better yet 25) degrees F up from
there. Some of these hobs settings are just too coarse, particularly
at the low end. I must have 150, 200, and 225.

3. Transmits energy over a selectable area (diameter), akin to glass
cooktop burners with selectable 6", 9", and 12" diameters. Every hob
I've seen actually energizes in a circle no large than about six
inches, which is just too small for sauteeing. The result, even on the
best aluminum core induction-ready pans I've found, is uneven heating.
(Maybe someone some day will produce serious induction-ready copper
core cookware -- not the AllClad joke line -- that will help here.)

4. Has a top inscribed with sufficient marking to insure any pan is
centered on the burner. This could be a large number of concentric
circles, or simply two orthogonal lines extending all the way to the
border of the surface. ( I have yet to find a cooktop of any type, not
just induction, with adequate markings.)

So ultimately, I'd want a glass cooktop with two induction elements
and two radiant elements, with all the features above. I'm not holding
my breath... 8

-- Larry
..
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article
"Jean B." > wrote:

> >> Thanks for any relevant insights you can give on this topic. I
> >> think I'll start here in the interim:
> >>
> >> http://theinductionsite.com/hob-make...obs.shtml#SITE

> > I have one and I can attest to it's
> > value for cooking. Having said that, you
> > should see if a real world test is
> > available. I continually find that when
> > trying to adjust the temp, if your
> > finger has any moisture on it at all, it
> > is difficult to get the sensor to
> > work...and my finger almost always seems
> > to be moist when I'm using it.

> So this is a touch type of sensor then? Maybe something to look
> out for? My current cooktop has knobs.

Yes, touch sensor. Knobs would tend to
defeat at least on of the benefits of a
glass top
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article
<q8m1l5togn7mhgnromvkek6vot0dvf0203@4ax.
com>,
wrote:

> I grew up in a house with gas, and recall the oocasional neighborhood
> explosions fondly. Come to think of it, we had one a mile or so from
> here last year... 8
>
> My brother had a high-end gas cooktop installed in his new house in
> Dallas a couple of years ago, and I looked forward to trying it. I was
> sorely disappointed in its performance, by comparison to the recent
> glass cooktops I'm used to.
>
> I've been through four induction hobs in the last year, and still have
> -- and use -- two of them. For efficiency in heat transfer and keeping
> the kitchen cool, they just can't be beaten. But I still haven't found
> one that satisfies all my requirements:
>
> 1. Has an automatic shut-off *with at least a 30-second delay*. It is
> mighty inconvenient when you move a pan slightly, or pic kit up to
> flip or shake, and the hob shuts off, and you have to run through the
> temperature or level setting sequence again.

Don't know about that exactly, but I'm
pretty sure my GE has that

> 2. Has either user-settable or perfectly chosen temperature settings:
> on at 150 or less, one just below boiling water, one just above
> boiling water, and then every 50 (or better yet 25) degrees F up from
> there. Some of these hobs settings are just too coarse, particularly
> at the low end. I must have 150, 200, and 225.

Don't know the increments, but it goes
from 1 to 9 in .5 increments and H seems
to be about double 9. Boils water
extremely fast

> 3. Transmits energy over a selectable area (diameter), akin to glass
> cooktop burners with selectable 6", 9", and 12" diameters. Every hob
> I've seen actually energizes in a circle no large than about six
> inches, which is just too small for sauteeing. The result, even on the
> best aluminum core induction-ready pans I've found, is uneven heating.
> (Maybe someone some day will produce serious induction-ready copper
> core cookware -- not the AllClad joke line -- that will help here.)

Mine has a 12" "burner" that will
automatically sense a smaller pan/pot

> 4. Has a top inscribed with sufficient marking to insure any pan is
> centered on the burner. This could be a large number of concentric
> circles, or simply two orthogonal lines extending all the way to the
> border of the surface. ( I have yet to find a cooktop of any type, not
> just induction, with adequate markings.)

The "burner" area is slightly darker

--

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur
adipiscing elit. Cras lobortis volutpat
commodo. Morbi lobortis, massa fringilla
adipiscing suscipit, velit urna pharetra
neque, non luctus arcu diam vitae justo.
Vivamus lacinia scelerisque ultricies.
Nunc lobortis elit ligula. Aliquam
sollicitudin nunc sed est gravida ac
viverra tellus ullamcorper. Vivamus non
nisi suscipit nisi egestas venenatis.
Donec vitae arcu id urna euismod
feugiat. Vivamus porta lobortis
ultricies. Nulla adipiscing tellus a
neque vehicula porta. Maecenas volutpat
aliquet sagittis. Proin nisi magna,
molestie id volutpat in, tincidunt sed
dolor. Nullam nisi erat, aliquet
scelerisque sagittis vitae, pretium
accumsan odio. Sed ut mi iaculis eros
rutrum tristique ut nec mi. Aliquam nec
augue dui, in mattis urna. In pretium
metus eu diam blandit accumsan. Ut eu
lorem sed odio porttitor blandit.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Jean B. wrote:

> Since I don't want a gas oven, I was already thinking that I would
> be buying a cooktop and an oven.

Dual fuel has become very popular in recent years. Electric ovens do have
some advantages, but some gas ovens have been improved too. I used to think
of the oven as just a hot box that you put food into for roasting or baking.
Electrics generally had better temperature control and less heat loss to the
room from venting.

A couple of years ago we bought a Bertazzoni gas range with convection oven.
What an incredible difference between that and our 20 year old oven.
Everything we do comes out far superior to what we had. Chicken is crispy
skinned and moist inside, roasts have a nice outer bark. The downside is it
does vent quite a bit of heat making the kitchen hot in summer.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

wrote:
> I grew up in a house with gas, and recall the oocasional neighborhood
> explosions fondly. Come to think of it, we had one a mile or so from
> here last year... 8
>
> My brother had a high-end gas cooktop installed in his new house in
> Dallas a couple of years ago, and I looked forward to trying it. I was
> sorely disappointed in its performance, by comparison to the recent
> glass cooktops I'm used to.
>
> I've been through four induction hobs in the last year, and still have
> -- and use -- two of them. For efficiency in heat transfer and keeping
> the kitchen cool, they just can't be beaten. But I still haven't found
> one that satisfies all my requirements:
>
> 1. Has an automatic shut-off *with at least a 30-second delay*. It is
> mighty inconvenient when you move a pan slightly, or pic kit up to
> flip or shake, and the hob shuts off, and you have to run through the
> temperature or level setting sequence again.
>
> 2. Has either user-settable or perfectly chosen temperature settings:
> on at 150 or less, one just below boiling water, one just above
> boiling water, and then every 50 (or better yet 25) degrees F up from
> there. Some of these hobs settings are just too coarse, particularly
> at the low end. I must have 150, 200, and 225.
>
> 3. Transmits energy over a selectable area (diameter), akin to glass
> cooktop burners with selectable 6", 9", and 12" diameters. Every hob
> I've seen actually energizes in a circle no large than about six
> inches, which is just too small for sauteeing. The result, even on the
> best aluminum core induction-ready pans I've found, is uneven heating.
> (Maybe someone some day will produce serious induction-ready copper
> core cookware -- not the AllClad joke line -- that will help here.)
>
> 4. Has a top inscribed with sufficient marking to insure any pan is
> centered on the burner. This could be a large number of concentric
> circles, or simply two orthogonal lines extending all the way to the
> border of the surface. ( I have yet to find a cooktop of any type, not
> just induction, with adequate markings.)
>
> So ultimately, I'd want a glass cooktop with two induction elements
> and two radiant elements, with all the features above. I'm not holding
> my breath... 8
>
> -- Larry
> .

Well that last (2 induction elements and two radiant elements) is
what I have. It would be great if it was higher-powered, but this
is an old, feeble unit.

You bring up some good issues, which I will try to keep in mind.
Which cooktops have you tried and found wanting?

Thanks!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

I'll Always Be 15/01/10 wrote:
> In article
> >,

>>> I have one and I can attest to it's
>>> value for cooking. Having said that, you
>>> should see if a real world test is
>>> available. I continually find that when
>>> trying to adjust the temp, if your
>>> finger has any moisture on it at all, it
>>> is difficult to get the sensor to
>>> work...and my finger almost always seems
>>> to be moist when I'm using it.

>> So this is a touch type of sensor then? Maybe something to look
>> out for? My current cooktop has knobs.

> Yes, touch sensor. Knobs would tend to
> defeat at least on of the benefits of a
> glass top

Interestingly, I hate glass tops. But obviously my love of the
induction technology is stronger than that! I assume you are
speaking of the ease with which the glass cooktops can be cleaned?
(My opposite view is that they show even a grain of salt on them
and demand more cleaning.)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

I'll Always Be 15/01/10 wrote:
> In article
> <q8m1l5togn7mhgnromvkek6vot0dvf0203@4ax.
> com>,
> wrote:
>
>> I grew up in a house with gas, and recall the oocasional neighborhood
>> explosions fondly. Come to think of it, we had one a mile or so from
>> here last year... 8
>>
>> My brother had a high-end gas cooktop installed in his new house in
>> Dallas a couple of years ago, and I looked forward to trying it. I was
>> sorely disappointed in its performance, by comparison to the recent
>> glass cooktops I'm used to.
>>
>> I've been through four induction hobs in the last year, and still have
>> -- and use -- two of them. For efficiency in heat transfer and keeping
>> the kitchen cool, they just can't be beaten. But I still haven't found
>> one that satisfies all my requirements:
>>
>> 1. Has an automatic shut-off *with at least a 30-second delay*. It is
>> mighty inconvenient when you move a pan slightly, or pic kit up to
>> flip or shake, and the hob shuts off, and you have to run through the
>> temperature or level setting sequence again.

> Don't know about that exactly, but I'm
> pretty sure my GE has that
>

>> 2. Has either user-settable or perfectly chosen temperature settings:
>> on at 150 or less, one just below boiling water, one just above
>> boiling water, and then every 50 (or better yet 25) degrees F up from
>> there. Some of these hobs settings are just too coarse, particularly
>> at the low end. I must have 150, 200, and 225.

> Don't know the increments, but it goes
> from 1 to 9 in .5 increments and H seems
> to be about double 9. Boils water
> extremely fast
>

>> 3. Transmits energy over a selectable area (diameter), akin to glass
>> cooktop burners with selectable 6", 9", and 12" diameters. Every hob
>> I've seen actually energizes in a circle no large than about six
>> inches, which is just too small for sauteeing. The result, even on the
>> best aluminum core induction-ready pans I've found, is uneven heating.
>> (Maybe someone some day will produce serious induction-ready copper
>> core cookware -- not the AllClad joke line -- that will help here.)

> Mine has a 12" "burner" that will
> automatically sense a smaller pan/pot
>

>> 4. Has a top inscribed with sufficient marking to insure any pan is
>> centered on the burner. This could be a large number of concentric
>> circles, or simply two orthogonal lines extending all the way to the
>> border of the surface. ( I have yet to find a cooktop of any type, not
>> just induction, with adequate markings.)

> The "burner" area is slightly darker
>

>> So ultimately, I'd want a glass cooktop with two induction elements
>> and two radiant elements, with all the features above. I'm not holding
>> my breath... 8
>>
>> -- Larry
>> .

Seems like many of the units have pot size sensors. A few years
ago when I was gazing at the induction cooktops that had come onto
the market, many seemed to have the ability to accommodate pots of
varying sizes on each burner, and that would be a definite plus!

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Since I don't want a gas oven, I was already thinking that I would
>> be buying a cooktop and an oven.

> Dual fuel has become very popular in recent years. Electric ovens do have
> some advantages, but some gas ovens have been improved too. I used to think
> of the oven as just a hot box that you put food into for roasting or baking.
> Electrics generally had better temperature control and less heat loss to the
> room from venting.
>
> A couple of years ago we bought a Bertazzoni gas range with convection oven.
> What an incredible difference between that and our 20 year old oven.
> Everything we do comes out far superior to what we had. Chicken is crispy
> skinned and moist inside, roasts have a nice outer bark. The downside is it
> does vent quite a bit of heat making the kitchen hot in summer.

I now think my unachievable ideal (unless one gets two two-burner
units) would be 2 induction burners and 2 gas burners. That heat
is welcome in the winter!

Your mention of bark made me sit up and take notice.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 09:27:49 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>I'll Always Be 15/01/10 wrote:
>> In article
>> >,

>>> So this is a touch type of sensor then? Maybe something to look
>>> out for? My current cooktop has knobs.

>> Yes, touch sensor. Knobs would tend to
>> defeat at least on of the benefits of a
>> glass top

>Interestingly, I hate glass tops. But obviously my love of the
>induction technology is stronger than that! I assume you are
>speaking of the ease with which the glass cooktops can be cleaned?
> (My opposite view is that they show even a grain of salt on them
>and demand more cleaning.)

I have had a ceramic top GE range for over 3 years. I have white. Now
I know when it needs to be cleaned which is not whenever it gets a
drop or two on it. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes to get it looking
great. No reflector pans or rings to take out and scrub. No drip
area under them to clean up if something boils over.

I do wipe it off when I have a sink of dishwater available, which is
not every day since almost everything I use goes into the dishwasher.

You cannot compare today's appliances with ones you may have used 10+
years ago. You had better get spec sheets on the ones you are
thinking about. Take the time to look at all of the available
choices. Plan to devote a few days to checking out all of the
appliance stores in your area. And find out about available service.
How long does it take someone to make the first call? How long for
parts?

I am fortunate that my husband can repair many of the appliances we
have. Recently my Borsch dishwasher quit working. Since the Borsch
had a couple of quirks that irritated him (but not me and I am the one
who loads most of the time) we went looking for a new one. Ended up
with an Electrlux. Thing never got the dishes clean. I refuse to pay
$1500+ for a dishwasher that I have to clean the dishes first to get
them clean. It went back. After checking the Internet found out that
many people had the same problem. So DH ordered the water pump from
Borsch. Cost, $150. Time, arrived in 2 days. One more day to fix
the Borsch and get it reinstalled. I am happy. So make sure that
service is readily available.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

The Cook wrote:

> Recently my Borsch dishwasher quit working.

Your soup quit working?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article
"Jean B." > wrote:

> Seems like many of the units have pot size sensors. A few years
> ago when I was gazing at the induction cooktops that had come onto
> the market, many seemed to have the ability to accommodate pots of
> varying sizes on each burner, and that would be a definite plus!

Unless I'm remembering it wrong, all of
my burners can sense pot size
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article
"Jean B." > wrote:

> I'll Always Be 15/01/10 wrote:
> > In article
> > >,

> >> So this is a touch type of sensor then? Maybe something to look
> >> out for? My current cooktop has knobs.

> > Yes, touch sensor. Knobs would tend to
> > defeat at least on of the benefits of a
> > glass top

> Interestingly, I hate glass tops. But obviously my love of the
> induction technology is stronger than that! I assume you are
> speaking of the ease with which the glass cooktops can be cleaned?
> (My opposite view is that they show even a grain of salt on them
> and demand more cleaning.)

I was mostly talking about having a nice
flat surface uninterrupted by knows, but
the surface gets dirty and isn't always
the easiest thing to clean...and there
is that nagging fear that when you are
flipping something in a pan you can drop
it and break the glass.

But I love how fast it heats up and it
has about as much control as gas.

The other benefit is that it doesn't
heat up the kitchen as much and no gas
fumes. I just wish the fan worked on my
hood to vent, I've really got to fix that
Posted to rec.food.equipment

The Cook wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 09:27:49 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> I'll Always Be 15/01/10 wrote:
>>> In article

>>> Yes, touch sensor. Knobs would tend to
>>> defeat at least on of the benefits of a
>>> glass top

>> Interestingly, I hate glass tops. But obviously my love of the
>> induction technology is stronger than that! I assume you are
>> speaking of the ease with which the glass cooktops can be cleaned?
>> (My opposite view is that they show even a grain of salt on them
>> and demand more cleaning.)

> I have had a ceramic top GE range for over 3 years. I have white. Now
> I know when it needs to be cleaned which is not whenever it gets a
> drop or two on it. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes to get it looking
> great. No reflector pans or rings to take out and scrub. No drip
> area under them to clean up if something boils over.
>
> I do wipe it off when I have a sink of dishwater available, which is
> not every day since almost everything I use goes into the dishwasher.
>
> You cannot compare today's appliances with ones you may have used 10+
> years ago. You had better get spec sheets on the ones you are
> thinking about. Take the time to look at all of the available
> choices. Plan to devote a few days to checking out all of the
> appliance stores in your area. And find out about available service.
> How long does it take someone to make the first call? How long for
> parts?
>
> I am fortunate that my husband can repair many of the appliances we
> have. Recently my Borsch dishwasher quit working. Since the Borsch
> had a couple of quirks that irritated him (but not me and I am the one
> who loads most of the time) we went looking for a new one. Ended up
> with an Electrlux. Thing never got the dishes clean. I refuse to pay
> $1500+ for a dishwasher that I have to clean the dishes first to get
> them clean. It went back. After checking the Internet found out that
> many people had the same problem. So DH ordered the water pump from
> Borsch. Cost, $150. Time, arrived in 2 days. One more day to fix
> the Borsch and get it reinstalled. I am happy. So make sure that
> service is readily available.

Aha! My Bosch has that problem, and has been sitting here unused
for years.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

I'll Always Be 17/01/10 wrote:
> In article
> >,
> "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> I'll Always Be 15/01/10 wrote:
>>> In article

>>> Yes, touch sensor. Knobs would tend to
>>> defeat at least on of the benefits of a
>>> glass top

>> Interestingly, I hate glass tops. But obviously my love of the
>> induction technology is stronger than that! I assume you are
>> speaking of the ease with which the glass cooktops can be cleaned?
>> (My opposite view is that they show even a grain of salt on them
>> and demand more cleaning.)

> I was mostly talking about having a nice
> flat surface uninterrupted by knows, but
> the surface gets dirty and isn't always
> the easiest thing to clean...and there
> is that nagging fear that when you are
> flipping something in a pan you can drop
> it and break the glass.
>
> But I love how fast it heats up and it
> has about as much control as gas.
>
> The other benefit is that it doesn't
> heat up the kitchen as much and no gas
> fumes. I just wish the fan worked on my
> hood to vent, I've really got to fix that

Yes, I do love the technology. I am almost certain that this is
what I am going to do. If I want to cook with gas, I can go down
to my daughter's area!

--
Jean B.